closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gone and (mostly) forgotten. My horological past...

Gone and (mostly) forgotten. My horological past...

My horological past?! Ha, it was only 2 years ago..!

So I started enjoying watches back in June 2010, when my fiancee, presented me with a Tag Heuer Formula 1, something I'd always longed for as a motorsport fan, while looking for a nice chronograph. Yes, it's a quartz, and yes, they may not be the most loved timepieces, but it started me on my watch journey, and I'll always have it as the cornerstone of my collection.

But this thread, is not <my current SOTC>, but all the flips. Some enjoyed, some moved on within weeks, either way, it's been fun.

Going from good to not so, I think my taste has got better, and my photography definitely has. There's some terrible shots here, but you get the idea.

Omega Speedmaster Professional 3573.50.00 Sapphire Sandwich

Pics to follow

<Breitling Avenger Seawolf A17330 Volcano Black Dial>

Pics to follow

<Breitling Avenger Seawolf A17330 Slate Grey Dial>

Pics to follow

<Breitling Aerospace Avantage E79362>

Pics to follow

The iconic Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2221.80

The now dis-continued blue wave dial SMP, made famous by a certain Mr James Bond. The design has moved on from the quartz SMP used in 1995's "Goldeneye". Improved since the 2541 generation with more vibrant colour, more pronounced wave design, red writing, applied logo and indices as well as longer hands and a redesigned caseback.

I was lucky enough to have the ribbed design OEM Omega Rubber Deployant Strap, but the truth is, it was uncomfortable, and a real hair puller.

I even tried out an OEM Sharkskin - very rare and high quality, but in the end, nothing suits a Bond quite like the bracelet.

De ja vu? The Black Bond. A 212.30.41.61.01.001

Again, great watch, great bracelet. Black or Blue? Both superb.

It worked surprisingly well on the OEM 98000006 Omega Kevlar Coramide Strap, although fitting was a pain. Much smaller diameter spring bars required, even then, you had to be persuasive.

This was a surprise. The classic sword hand design from my 2264.50 Omega SMP.

I hated it. I thought it looked dated and... wrong. For some reason, I much preferred the Bond's.

There was, however, one time it worked, and that was on the OEM Omega 98000085 rubber strap with 9451-2012 olympic buckle. It appeased me in the short time of ownership.

Finally, finished with the SMP's, here's a Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.

Well built, looked great, display back, cyclops on the left, strange size of 21mm lugs, 18 seconds slow per day out of the box.

Ups and downs, but the way the dial changed in the light was lovely. I wore it on the OEM Tag Heuer Rubber Deployant strap which was incredibly comfortable and very well made.
    Last edited by RossC; 1st April 2013 at 13:31.

Hmmm, strange one this. A Breitling Colt from 2001, the A17350.

The white dial was nice, the Croco Brown Leather was nice, nice wasn't good enough, and at 38mm was far too small for me. Really starting to look dated now and the Colt II was a massive design improvement IMO.

This was more my thing, another Tag Heuer F1 for my collection, a CAH1113.

The size was good at 41mm, very good value pre-owned, and with a ridiculous amount of F1 ambassadors, including Fernando, Lewis and Kimi, it was always a popular watch.

One of the best rubber straps around, The Isofrane really worked.

And, surprisingly, a Di Modell Rallye with Orange Stitch suited it rather well.

Also, an orange zulu was just a bit of fun, but looked great. Thinking back, this really was a great watch, with proper get up and go appeal.

All this was, was the PVD version of my SS F1, the CAH1013.

Good watch, lovely on an Isofrane, but I just didn't need it.

A bit of a departure from my norm. The Steinhart Nav B Chrono II.

Looked superb, the Valjoux 7750 was excellent, display back, excellent build quality, nice leather deployant, but, bottom line, it was a homage. It was never, and could never be an IWC Flieger. I can't knock Steinhart at all though, excellent value for money and did exactly what it said on the tin.

Oops, another Steinhart, the Ocean One GMT.

Same old story here. Great watch, great build quality, but it's no Rolex. I guess homages don't sit well with me. Fakes they are not, value for money they are, but never gave me the right feeling. Again, taking nothing away from Steinhart though, what they do, they do well. Put it on a Bond Nato and you have a great casual wearer.

So, now to the budget end, with the Casio G-9300GB. The Black and Gold G-Shock Limited Edition Mudman.

Unfortunately, no atomic syncing, but other than that, all the features you come to expect, and more with Temp and Compass. It looked great, but not the easiest to read with gold negative display. For all it's worth, I probably should have kept it, but ultimately, it never got worn.

This satisfied the need for atomic syncing, great for keeping the rest of the collection accurate. A Casio G-Shock GW-7900MS-3ER (G-Rescue).

It was a great size, rather huge at 51mm and 18mm thick. Actually very dark green in colour with a ballistic nylon strap. With the same module as the latest Gulfman inclusive of tidal and moon graphs, it's also atomic and solar. All the functions I wanted.

The strap was a big draw on this watch, so different to the usual resin straps from G-Shock, but, again, I never really wore it as intended, so little point in keeping it.

And now, the last of a long line, a real stormtrooper of a watch, the White G-Shock GR-8900A.

Usual G-Shock fare, and it was a cracker, especially with the new LED illumination, but I bought it, wore it once, and the wife said I looked gay. Straight on to SC it went and now Martin ("LazyDonkey") has this one. Maybe it suits him, or maybe he is just comfortable with his sexuality, either way, apparently, I looked "gay"...

Well, that ended on a lighter note. I hope this thread doesn't get updated - I feel it should be the last few times I sell a watch. I'm happy with my current SOTC and while I have my eye on an addition, I don't think anything needs to be offered up to source it.

Now I need to go and work on my current SOTC thread, you lucky, lucky people ;-)
    Last edited by RossC; 29th October 2012 at 17:59.

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    Great posts. Looks like you gave most of them a good chance of sticking around. Where did the Di Modell with orange stitching come from?

Gone and (mostly) forgotten. My horological past...

I actually enjoyed reading that. It is all about the journey after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeister View Post
    Where did the Di Modell with orange stitching come from?
    www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk

Great service from these chaps

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    ^^^^

Thanks Ross. I'll get in touch with them and see what they've got for a couple of my watches.

Also wanted to echo Marios' comments.
    These aren't the kind of watches that I'm into myself but I enjoyed your telling of your journey.

Don't let the lack of replies put you off posting up your SOTC.
    Always disappointing when the threads with a bit of effort get little response and the 'idiot' ones run for pages and pages ;0)

Journeyman
    Excellent post and nice reading - wish we could see more of these. Well done
    regards
    Terje

Great posts and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share your journey. I enjoyed reading it.
    You've had some great watches there and I'm looking forward to seeing your current SOTC.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, interesting read about some nice watches

Craftsman
    Enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting.

Excellent post!

I wish I had kept memories (or even better photos) of all my watches. Must have been around 50 in the years I am collecting. From G-shocks and Swatches to Panerai, Rolex, Glashütte Original and AP. A lot have come and gone, some I even bought and sold twice (not the same model, the same WATCH)....This is one crazy hobby we have here!
    The one I miss most: AP15300
    The one I bought most (in all variations): Omega Seamaster (3 black, 2 blue, SS, Ti, 2 GMT, GMT Coax, 2 chronographs, 2 PO...all gone)
    Actual wearers: Omega BA, Rolex SD, Sinn UX

Good post -fun read