closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Here to (hopefully) stay. My Horological present... SOTC

Here to (hopefully) stay. My Horological present... SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by Me, back in June, I wrote:
    My interest in watches started in August 2010, and now, June 2012 is where I will still maintain an interest, but stop with the flipping, the lusting, the spending, and quit with going full circle. It was only on Tuesday, that when I received my 5th Omega SMP from another TZ-UK member, that I had the epiphany, time to stop... I'm in a happy place watch-wise, and there are more important things for me and my new wife to spend our hard earned on. I think...

Ok, so I gave in. I wanted more diversity, and there were far too many quartz in my watch box. Now will I stop? Yes, hmmm, maybe, I don't know, anyway, on to my current and reasonably concrete SOTC. (and here's a link to all of the departed...)

I've listed a few pics of each but have also linked to the appropriate "incoming" thread with more pics and detail.

<Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Réserve de Marche 140.8.93.S>

<Breitling Navitimer A23322>

<Omega Seamaster Professional Blue Ceramic 212.30.41.20.03.001>

Last edited by RossC; 1st April 2013 at 13:41.

<Omega Speedmaster Professional ST145.022>

<Genuine Omega Rally Strap>

<Genuine Omega Brown Alligator Strap>

Next up is my Tag Heuer Formula 1 (CAH1010.BA0854). Yes it's a quartz, yes it may be part of the entry level series for Tag (although this particular one retails at 4 figures) but you just can't argue with it's everyday appeal and use and high accuracy. Fantastic daily wearer.

I owe it to this watch that I'm now interested in horology. Strange, I know, especially since it's not even mechanical, but I've always wanted a Tag Heuer F1 mainly due to my motorsport love, and when I finally got one as an engagement present from my wife, it sparked my interest further.

Last edited by RossC; 1st April 2013 at 16:06.

It actually has a great deal of detail. The tachymeter, the raised indices, the large date at 12 o'clock, the concentric circles, the engine turning, the chronograph design, all adding to the motorsport heritage.

One that I'd never sell, I love it, and it will always be the cornerstone of my collection.

Here's a bit of a sentimental piece. A vintage Tissot. I'm not actually sure of the model, but it is very similar to so many of the Seastar's of the same age. Complete with an Omega shared movement, it's a very accomplished piece, I never wear it, but holds a sentimental value.

It was a presentation watch to my grandfather with a nice engraving. Gold Caseback, but well used before it was left to me. I've since had to replace the strap, and replate the front bezel so it looks a lot better than it used to.

Now for the lower budget end of my collection, again, this is another sentimental one, given to me by my long term girlfriend (now wife) on my 21st, many, many moons ago when she was a poor student and she knew I fancied a smart(ish) chrono.

It's a Seiko Chronograph, and while it's not swiss, you can really appreciate the value for money and quartz accuracy. The surprising function of this is the fact everything is hackable. A very smart feature.

The Beater! A <Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER>

Here's <my Peli 1170>. A watch box that is so versatile, I've been able to continually adapt it to my collection changes.

The perfect case for my collection (there's certainly no room left), watches, straps, tools, all I need in one place and the 1170's size lends itself to working as a large travel case too with peace of mind in its robustness.

So, there we go. I'm pretty happy with how the collection is. I'm now satisfied I have a watch for most occasions, and certainly have the strap options to adapt appropriately.

Time to take a break.

Cheers, Ross.
    Last edited by RossC; 19th March 2013 at 17:47.

Great write-up and collection. It's always interesting to hears people's thoughts on their choices.

Agree with you, that quartz SMP had to go!

(My Dad is very happy with it).

Don't know about anything else, but the photography is superb. Great work

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ...the photography is superb. Great work
    Coming from you, Tony, I will take that as a massive compliment

Considering I've only got a compact Lumix, I suppose they turned out ok.

Great collection you have there, excellent shots, great storage too , enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Coming from you, Tony, I will take that as a massive compliment

Considering I've only got a compact Lumix, I suppose they turned out ok.
    Love the TAG too... shame they're a bit too big for me or I'd be sorely tempted.

Craftsman
    Lovely collection mate, think my favourite might be your awesome watch box though!!

Master
    A great watch collection and box to go with it.

Master
    That's a really nice collection that spans pretty much all of the bases. Maybe one could suggest adding a touch more in the dress watch line

You've prompted me to have a look at those cases - very practical.
    I'm sure there's a Bergeon thread or two on the forum somewhere - I don't let anyone elses' tools anywhere near my watches, but does anyone else find that the screw-in tips work loose very easily? I was going to use Loctite.

Nice collection. My favourite is the Tissot, who used to make some good watches but like Longines they aren't what they used to be

Thanks for the nice comments everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf
    That's a really nice collection that spans pretty much all of the bases. Maybe one could suggest adding a touch more in the dress watch line
    You'd be surprised as to how dressy a Speedmaster can be with the OEM Alligator and deployant. I have the luxury of black or brown. But, you're right, since I don't tend to wear the Tissot, it means in a few years I might think about a dedicated dress watch. The most likely candidate being a 40mm Zenith Elite Heritage Ultra Thin...

Journeyman
    Love the sapphire caseback Speedy. Such a movement shouldn't have to hide behind a solid caseback.

I really love that Seiko, the styling of it is so perfect. Very 70's cool.

Nice collection.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Don't know about anything else, but the photography is superb. Great work
    Agreed - Although slightly dark for my liking.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

You seem to have covered most of the bases there.

Very fine collection.

Mitch

I'm been catching up on some WT SOTC threads and this one's a treat. I'd be delighted to own any of yours Ross but the Speedy is the stand out one for me. Those strap combinations perfectly show its versatility.

Great stuff!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations