closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It’s happened with every Skoda Superb I’ve had (3 of them)
    Winter temperatures, down around 0° or minus.
    Never ever known that to happen in any car ive driven or owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Never ever known that to happen in any car ive driven or owned.
    How often have you needed to park up ticking over for an hour at a time in winter though?
    Most people wouldn’t experience it as most people wouldn’t be doing it. Pretty unique to the taxi trade I would guess.

How often have you needed to park up ticking over for an hour at a time in winter though?
    Most people wouldn’t experience it as most people wouldn’t be doing it. Pretty unique to the taxi trade I would guess.
    I look at it from a technical standpoint
    Think about when you start your car in the morning, most of us go out and de-ice. We all know that warm air comes through well before the the engine gets up to operating temperatures.
    Quite a few years ago I got held up on the 419 North of Cirencester for several hours in horrific conditions. Well under minus and not a problem. If you were in Alaska then I’d perhaps understand but temperatures around zero are nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emergency Service vehicles do it al the time without any issues?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Emergency Service vehicles do it al the time without any issues?
    Unless you’re in a BMW 3.0l diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Unless you’re in a BMW 3.0l diesel!
    Quick on the draw Dave!! - the EGR issue has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Quick on the draw Dave!! - the EGR issue has been fixed.
    I was actually referring to the issue the police have; sitting on tickover for a long time followed by rapid acceleration was causing the engines to explode.

BMW then specified oil changes st 5,000 miles but the police chose to ignore their recommendations leading to the death of at least one traffic cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was actually referring to the issue the police have; sitting on tickover for a long time followed by rapid acceleration was causing the engines to explode.

BMW then specified oil changes st 5,000 miles but the police chose to ignore their recommendations leading to the death of at least one traffic cop.
    Ah, my bad. Sad that an officer lost their life but reading the background I am not sure that this is anything but an isolated incident?

Yeah, they perform very differently so you have to get used to that aspect. I think that the next generation will still get enjoyment from motoring as they will not automatically associate the engine and exhaust noise, stick shift and suchlike with the experience. My father holds a lot of nostalgia for steam locomotives, having grown up in an era when they were still widespread and an apparent conviction that they are sentient and have a soul. My kids see steam power as something of a historical curiosity but still love the occasion of a rail journey when it's done right (which sadly isn't the case in the UK these days).

Instant fast acceleration from 40mph to scoot past something on a country road in what is a relatively modest vehicle feels like a quantum leap forward, but you do need to take the bends in a different way due to the weight distribution. I've not heard much about safety issues for cyclists and ramblers, maybe there is some comparison data out there but I can't see the lack of noise or exhaust pollution as being a bad thing for them. Motorists and other users alike should always have their wits about them on the road.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Pretty much everyone whose wife has just nipped into the shops for a 5 minute look at something…..lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Pretty much everyone whose wife has just nipped into the shops for a 5 minute look at something…..lol.
    PMSL - so true!

Craftsman
    Not often I agree with FFF but he’s 100% right on this occasion

All modern cars will control stat opening/closing and even variable water pump flow to balance cabin and engine temperature

Most cars will also change the engine load if needed

It won’t drop the engine temperature or the cabin temperature within an hour of idling in non extreme temperatures that we get here

An engine puts out a huge amount of heat even at idle

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

All modern cars will control stat opening/closing and even variable water pump flow to balance cabin and engine temperature

It won’t drop the engine temperature or the cabin temperature within an hour of idling in non extreme temperatures that we get here

Its bound to happen every now and again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

And I’m telling you from personal experience over three different cars, the last Skoda being a 2017 plate so hardly old tech that the temperature gauge would drop from 90°C when idling for a long time in cold 0° to - temperatures, resulting in the warm air coming out of the fans dropping too. I just wish I still had a Superb, I’d happily record it and show it on here, but I’ve ditched ICE vehicles.
    This is not opinion, this is personal experience. I was a night shift taxi driver for many many years and this is what happened when I would be Idling for a long time.

And I’m telling you from personal experience over three different cars, the last Skoda being a 2017 plate so hardly old tech that the temperature gauge would drop from 90°C when idling for a long time in cold 0° to - temperatures, resulting in the warm air coming out of the fans dropping too. I just wish I still had a Superb, I’d happily record it and show it on here, but I’ve ditched ICE vehicles.
    This is not opinion, this is personal experience. I was a night shift taxi driver for many many years and this is what happened when I would be Idling for a long time.
    Then you've been unlucky enough to have 3 cars that have suffered with 3 identical issues. For your info thermostats open at anywhere between 80-90 degrees, that would allow flow around the engine. If your scenario is correct the coolant would have to drop enough to have piss warm water passing through the matrix. Your stat would have closed again which brings the temp up.
    Nothing makes sense.