closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oyster Braclet - achieving the perfect size

Master
    Blog Entries

Oyster Braclet - achieving the perfect size

I like my bracelets (and straps) snug but not tight and I'm getting frustrated by the oyster bracelet on my Explorer.

I have been using hole 1 but it seems a whisker too loose.

So I have taken a link out and moved to hole 3 ... which effectively makes the bracelet 3.5mm smaller ... now feels slightly snug.

If I move to hole 4 then I have made the bracelet 0.5mm bigger compared to my starting point.

Why do they just drill 5 holes in the clasp with varying pitch ... if they had drilled 6 or 7 with a 2mm pitch then I could easily achieve the perfect fit.

Journeyman
    I’ve had this before with a number of Rolex, the worst one is the oysterflex without glide lock, I found it hard to get a perfect fit on my 7 inch wrist. I’d recommend taking your watch to Rolex St James to get it fitted. It’s a free drop-in service and they’ll have seen every watch and every wrist so they’ll likely know the best way of configuring yours. I take every Rolex I buy to them and leave confident that the bracelet is the best it can be. Maybe it’s a mental thing but it seems to make the watch comfortable and feeling right in my mind because I know there’s no better configuration if they’ve done it!

Your best approach on these 5 digit references is to obtain the correct fit by adjusting the blade of the clasp (once you have got as close as you can by using the micro adjustments). You can gently bend the blade to make it tighter or looser dependent on your requirements. I am sure there are videos on line of how to do this if you are not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    Your best approach on these 5 digit references is to obtain the correct fit by adjusting the blade of the clasp (once you have got as close as you can by using the micro adjustments). You can gently bend the blade to make it tighter or looser dependent on your requirements. I am sure there are videos on line of how to do this if you are not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t recommend that, bending the blades of the clasp will alter the tension on the clasp, making it either too tight to close or too loose. I play around with them to improve the closing action on watches I work on, but it needs doing very carefully.

I’m surprised the OP’s having problems getting the fit right, I struggle getting bracelets to fit as I like and I had no problems with an identical watch I owned years ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t recommend that, bending the blades of the clasp will alter the tension on the clasp, making it either too tight to close or too loose. I play around with them to improve the closing action on watches I work on, but it needs doing very carefully.

I’m surprised the OP’s having problems getting the fit right, I struggle getting bracelets to fit as I like and I had no problems with an identical watch I owned years ago.
    I won't be bending the blades for the reasons you give ...

I guess my point is why didn't they just drill more holes at a 2mm pitch ... then there would be no problem ...

As it stands juggling the claps position and links can't quite get me to where I want to be ... I'm between holes.

Can you buy half links?

If you are in hole 3 you can either go 3.5mm tighter or 4mm looser ... I want to go 2mm looser ...
    Last edited by Montello; 5th December 2023 at 15:36.

Grand Master
    A couple of years back I bought a Rolex OP 36 and struggled to get the bracelet to fit, I assumed the clasp would be the same a Datejust 116200 (which I owned previously) but the Op clasp didn`t have the same degree of adjustment. Basically it had 3 positions, not obvious because it's concealed, and none gave me a comfortable fit. The watch came without a half-link but I learned that a half-link from a 116610 (Ceramic Sub) would fit so I went ahead and bought one second-hand. Thankfully it fitted perfectly and I got the watch to fit nicely. Possible the same half-link will fit the earlier bracelet? I guess the question is whether the links from a later Oyster bracelet as fitted to the 116610 will fit the earlier solid end-link bracelets fitted to 16610s and the Explorer 14270.

I generally find that a bracelet with 1/8" adjustments (3mm) on the clasp will work for me. One problem with the Oyster, particularly a newish one in tight condition, is the lack of flexibility or twist, it can be difficult to get a comfortable fit particularly on a slim square wrist like mine wrist, 6.75" isn`t that small but I have struggled in the past.

Good luck in finding a solution, I find it annoying when a bracelet won't quite fit right. Worst I own is a Zenith, that adjusts in +/-5mm increments and it's useless for me, much as I like the bracelet I have to wear the watch on a leather strap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is for a 114270, Bracelet 78690 ... links are 15.3mm wide.