closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swatch x Blancpain

Hybrid View

Would the product stand up on its own without the omega branding, the answer is yes but not at that price point so it’s an easy answer as to why they are doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with the Swatch Speedmaster (but more so), the fact that these are being made and successfully sold is symptomatic of a ludicrous belief in brand value (on behalf of buyer and seller).
    They are an exercise in using that value to sell what is self-evidently cheap tat, despite the core brand value being all about quality without compromise.

I think it is pointless to own one, because the dial print saying it's an Omega or a Blancpain is simply a lie. There is nothing of that name in the watch, other than that printed logo.

For me, it is almost more honest go buy and a fake (that at least pretends to be as good as the original) than it is to buy one of these cracker toys, just because the company that printed the lie on the dial has a legal right to do so.

It devalues the core brand, and it fleeces gullible customers into thinking that they are buying into the better brand, when they're actually only buying an expensive Swatch.

Lose lose.

I shan't be buying, perhaps you can tell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

I think it is pointless to own one, because the dial print saying it's an Omega or a Blancpain is simply a lie. There is nothing of that name in the watch, other than that printed logo.
    What you do get, however, is the silhouette of a Speedmaster / Blancpain etc.. Something that in many companies copyright.

In my office a couple of the juniors have bought the Swatch Speedmaster and they're chuffed. They can't afford the real deal, and it certainly has brought them closer to Omega as a brand.

Not a product for everyone - but has proved very engaging for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    What you do get, however, is the silhouette of a Speedmaster / Blancpain etc.. Something that in many companies copyright.

In my office a couple of the juniors have bought the Swatch Speedmaster and they're chuffed. They can't afford the real deal, and it certainly has brought them closer to Omega as a brand.

Not a product for everyone - but has proved very engaging for a lot of people.
    Oh I get that, but what about when it fails after 2 weeks/months/years?
    As they have been, and will continue to do so.
    What kind of engagement does that create with the brand?
    The ethos of having a quality brand is to offer a quality product, that acts as its own advertisement on the wrist of the owner. That doesn't happen when the worn cases, missing pushers, disappeared planets and dog-eared straps detract from the brand rather than advertising it.

And your average millenial, engaging with Omega for the first time, may never bother moving into "true" Omega ownership because their Swatch Speedmaster was a steaming pile. They might just decide to opt for a brand that hasn't cheapened itself instead. Or just not bother with a wristwatch at all.

I firmly believe this will end up being an exercise in cashing in, rather than one of "engaging with new types of owner", and in the long run it will not profit them as much as they want it to.

Especially as the two cases in point, Omega and Blancpain, are now yawning gulfs away from the Swatch ownership cost. Speedie - £6.4k. That is a big jump from the Swatch-made-fakey, and the Blancpain alternative will be even more miles away.

Perhaps the lie is any watch displaying the Omega or Blancpain logo, after all, they're all Swatch Group products. However that's another discussion for another day.

As with the Swatch Speedmaster (but more so), the fact that these are being made and successfully sold is symptomatic of a ludicrous belief in brand value (on behalf of buyer and seller).
    They are an exercise in using that value to sell what is self-evidently cheap tat, despite the core brand value being all about quality without compromise.

For me, it is almost more honest go buy and a fake (that at least pretends to be as good as the original) than it is to buy one of these cracker toys, just because the company that printed the lie on the dial has a legal right to do so.

It devalues the core brand, and it fleeces gullible customers into thinking that they are buying into the better brand, when they're actually only buying an expensive Swatch.

Lose lose.

Couldn't agree more.

Cheap plastic toy watch that bears no relation to the name/s on the dial.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Lose lose.

Isn't it the same "brand values" that makes us buy massively overpriced "luxury" Stainless Steel watches with huge margins and marketing support?

I don't see that it's any worse than Omega or Blancpain selling a bit of leather attached to a stainless steel buckle for hundreds of pounds.

I love that the Swatch group are releasing watches like these. It's a big middle finger to Brand Hierarchies and the watches themselves look great.

They're a bit of fun and no-one would mistake them for the real thing, and they will raise awareness of the more expensive watches they're based on. My interest in Speedmasters has been raised after owning a Moonswatch.

And the best thing about these is that they will wind up the brand snobs no end.

Master
    Now Swatch Group has shown they can do a chronograph with the Moonswatch and the Blancpain x Swatch that'll go to Fifty Fathoms, surely a Breguet x Swatch Marine Chronograph has to be next? The Breguet brand certainly needs a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Isn't it the same "brand values" that makes us buy massively overpriced "luxury" Stainless Steel watches with huge margins and marketing support?

I don't see that it's any worse than Omega or Blancpain selling a bit of leather attached to a stainless steel buckle for hundreds of pounds.

I love that the Swatch group are releasing watches like these. It's a big middle finger to Brand Hierarchies and the watches themselves look great.

They're a bit of fun and no-one would mistake them for the real thing, and they will raise awareness of the more expensive watches they're based on. My interest in Speedmasters has been raised after owning a Moonswatch.

And the best thing about these is that they will wind up the brand snobs no end.
    I certainly agree a lot of branded stuff is too expensive, but what they have always done is try to persuade you that you are paying for quality, and justifying the cost that way.
    With releases like this they are openly scamming people by doubling the price for a little bit of printing that suggests a link to a watch that it shares not one piece of.
    It is sticking a middle finger up to its own brand.
    I would gladly buy a better-built hommage for less money than I would ever hand over for one of these throwaway fakes.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love them and will definitely get the white when the stromash has died down.
    Cant see the point in wittering about "brand value" - they're good fun and if they pitch to a new market that would aspire to the real deal in future - GOOD.
    Also cant see the point in offering up similarly priced steel seikos and citizens. Thats great but the Swatch demographic isnt interested in them, and in fairness neither am i.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I love them and will definitely get the white when the stromash has died down.
    Cant see the point in wittering about "brand value" - they're good fun and if they pitch to a new market that would aspire to the real deal in future - GOOD.
    Also cant see the point in offering up similarly priced steel seikos and citizens. Thats great but the Swatch demographic isnt interested in them, and in fairness neither am i.
    But you make my point for me.
    You are willing to buy one because of brand value. And nothing else.
    If it were a Seiko or Citizen you would not be interested. In the slightest.
    There is an argument that if it were just a Swatch, no-one would care.
    But because it has the vague association with BP, limited to some print and the share structure of the company, you're willing to go for it.
    I may be wittering about brand value, but you willing to waste money on it as well.
    That makes no sense to me at all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    But you make my point for me.
    You are willing to buy one because of brand value. And nothing else.
    If it were a Seiko or Citizen you would not be interested. In the slightest.
    There is an argument that if it were just a Swatch, no-one would care.
    But because it has the vague association with BP, limited to some print and the share structure of the company, you're willing to go for it.
    I may be wittering about brand value, but you willing to waste money on it as well.
    That makes no sense to me at all.
    Ummm.. no, actually I'm not anywhere near making your point for you because you have completely misinterpreted my motivation for owning one.

With releases like this they are openly scamming people by doubling the price for a little bit of printing that suggests a link to a watch that it shares not one piece of.
    It is sticking a middle finger up to its own brand.
    It’s not openly scamming if they’re clear on the price and spec of the product. Customers will buy these from Swatch stores, knowing they’re buying a Swatch. And that little bit of printing is the whole design. Case, dial, hands, typefaces, bezel style - the whole lot is very clearly and heavily influenced by The Fifty Fathoms.

Nobody is paying £350 thinking they’re getting anything other than a Swatch styled like a Blancpain.

The middle finger you think they’re sticking up to the brand isn’t that at all. It’s a finger pointing out a brand very few people are aware of. My bet is that Blancpain does well out of this collaboration. More people today know the name then yesterday and that’ll continue for the coming weeks and months ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Would the product stand up on its own without the omega branding, the answer is yes but not at that price point so it’s an easy answer as to why they are doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a great question.

What price would it be good value?

I mean, you get the same movement in stainless steel Swatches for £150.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 5th September 2023 at 17:53.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?