Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
How can a one watch man have a collection? ... well with a bit of creative accounting ...

Here is the collection (note the W10 is now sold)

This Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – Was an engagement gift in 1998 and I wore it every day for 18 years (apart from sports activities which required digitals) ... apart from servicing. When I bought this the Sub was about an extra £150 but I didn't consider it as I viewed the Zenith as superior as it had a very slim case and the while dial just seemed more fresh. In real life the dial is really very white if that makes sense. So I bought the Zenith as I just liked it better; I also remember the shop guy telling me Zenith were superior and that they supplied movements to Rolex.

When it was away with STS for service I joined this forum to find out about Grandad's watches (below) which I was wearing during service. This was the start of a collecting phase which I am backing out of ... I have always loved watches and this Zenith was going to be a watch for life but it has quite fine hands and when I needed reading glasses it was the excuse I needed to buy another watch...

39mm; 9mm thick. Model 02.0473.670

I still wear it sometimes but I can't get a comfortable fit on the bracelet as it has no micro adjust just a half link ... I guess if I stuck with it I would get use to the fit as it was fine for many years.

These two were inherited and as heirlooms they don't add to the watch count so at this stage it's still 1.

The round one was restored and service by Paul Walker on this forum and I wear this every Christmas.

Omega Seamaster – 1965 – Grandad’s Watch

Omega Seamaster – 1984 – Grandad’s Watch

Then I hit 50 ... combined with the reading glasses excuse I persuaded the wife she really needed to buy me a Rolex for my 50th to replace / upgrade the Zenith. After quite some research I settled on a 114270 as I wanted a more discrete Rolex than the Sub which was perhaps the obvious successor to the Zenith diver.

After I had owned it for a while I decided to replace the bracelet which made the watch feel like new; it was £1000 but it really made the watch feel nicer and gave it a new to me feeling.

At this stage the watch count was still 1 as the Zenith and Grandad's watches are heirlooms now and don't count.

At this point it could have all stopped and I could have worn the Explorer for the rest of my years ... but repeated visiting here had got me interested in other temptations.

Rolex Explorer – 2002 – Bought for my 50th birthday

Next came a CWC G10 – 2005 as everyone needs a beater so this does not add to the count ... and this is now sold.

Then came a Smiths W10 – 1967 ... birth year watch and military watch ticked off; great watch but didn't get much wear so now sold.

Next came a Breitling Top Time - saw these in a shop in Brighton lanes but they wouldn't budge on price so bought this from Austin Kaye; it was a great watch but I had repeated issues with the crown (front loader) and in the end returned it for a refund ... however, in the end I took the below Carrera as a exchange.

1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999; this is a excellent re-issue but in the end I found it a little hard to read and didn't wear it much so I sold it ... out of all the watches I have owned this is the one my wife thought looked the best.

Next I bought a AquaStar MatchRace II – Used for sailing - as this is a digital this doesn't count.

Next came a Seiko 37.5mm Quartz Diver - this is in the beater category so does not count.

Then mum gave me my Dad’s watch which she found in a drawer; I have only worn this a few times; it runs ok and sits in the heirlooms category so does not count. The pen knife that came with it is in my pocket every day so it'snice to have something of dad's with me each day. The watch isn't as good in real life as it looks in that photo ... but put next to the Explorer it looks, to the lay person, very similar and far better value for money.

Next up was our 20th Anniversary and the Tudor 58 was really tempting me so I persuaded the wife to buy me one to mark that and I bought here a very nice ring to balance the deal ... this meant the Explorer was placed on reserve as the 58 became the most worn watch. At this point there was no arguing that the watch count was up to 2.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB

Sailing with the 58

Cycling with the 58

The other Omega and the Mondaine in the photo are the wife's watches so don't add to my tally so with two watches that I wear the 58 & the Explorer and am currently a 2 watch guy ...

I switch between the two randomly ... I can't decide which I like best but the 58 gets more time as I do use the bezel and as it is a cheaper watch I am not really bothered if it gets a knock.

I have considered if the real solution here is to sell them both and buy a Sub ... few problems with that ... first I have thin wrists and the Sub may wear a bit big ... second the Sub would be quite an expensive watch to wear every day (although the value of the 114270 keeps going north beyond what I'd spend today) ... plus of course buying a new Sub isn't that easy; I'd like to try a new 41mm sub no date but given you can't even find one to try and don't know if it is a viable replacement for the 114270/58 pair ...

Every significant watch I have currently has a landmark meaning and a connection; I consider my watch count to be currently 2 ... maybe I could get to 1. Maybe the 58 is it and the Explorer could go but I know if I sold it I would never buy another Rolex as they are more than I'd really be happy to spend on a watch ... but the idea of combining them both into a new Sub does nag away at me a bit ... we will see ...

Anyway ... hopefully some of you found that of interest ...
Very nice Zenith! Do you still own it ? Trying to source one