closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; TR 6 - update #2

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; TR 6 - update #2

Many years ago, a guy brought in a yellow TR6. Before he took it to us, he'd planned to have it restored in another workshop; north of Amsterdam. During the transport to the professional restorer, the car fell off the restorer's trailer. That made him so mad that he'd ordered to return the car. I know that restoration company and I can say it's a good one, despite this story.

It ended up here, in the Eastern part of the country, and the owner helped cleaning and clearing it all. He liked our area here so much that he bought a 400 yr house nearby; let's say 10mins from where I live. Then things went south: the work on the house took more time, money and energy than anticipated and the car ended up under a tarp. How often do we hear that...

But last month he came round and asked for a restart of the project. All of the dirty work has been done previously, before the paus; it was halted a the point where the shiny bits were ready to be bolted onto the tub (well, a little optimistic).

Anyway: hello old friend! The resto of the TR6 is back on track. I'll keep on posting pics from time to time.

Last edited by thieuster; 23rd June 2023 at 12:57.

More pics please

Blog Entries
    Will do on a regular basis.

Grand Master
    There's a large piece missing Menno, I think it's called the chassis!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There's a large piece missing Menno, I think it's called the chassis!
    Maybe converted to uni-body?

Blog Entries
    Eagles eyes! I like that.

The chassis is already ‘up and running’. Suspension, wheels, engine, g’box etc are already installed. It’s in a different part of the shop.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Menno

What is the colour on the car, mine is Mimosa Yellow, yours looks more Saffron or the workshop lighting is playing tricks. Looks like a proper job. It will be nice to see some pictures on its progress. Is it a UK car with Fuel Injection also what year is it. Picture of my 74 Mimosa PI

Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure it's a saffron yellow car. It's not a bright as yours. It had that colour when it was rolled in. And it was never taken apart before it entered the workshop. The owner wants it to be as original as possible. It's the car with the 150 Bhp. Not the detuned one.

The car comes with a hardtop but the lower edge under the rear window is like as sieve. That's a lot of welding; the curves under the window as 'three dimensional so to speak. Not only a lot welding, also a lot of templates and fitting. The idea (now) is the finish the car and then turn to the hardtop. One can drive the car for ages before you need a hardtop.
    Last edited by thieuster; 20th June 2023 at 15:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a 69 to 72 and a PI I wonder if it’s one that was assembled in Belgium

… or Inca yellow? A favourite triumph colour..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    … or Inca yellow? A favourite triumph colour..
    Inca was offered in the run out year only 1976 it’s a nice yellow a bit lighter than Mimosa. I had Inca on my Spitfire in the early 80s

Blog Entries
    Tons of questions above I need to address to. I'll be back with more info in a while. I need to have a look at the VIN I think. That will reveal a lot.

Blog Entries
    Things go fast at this stage; remember there was already a lot of work done in the past. The chassis and tub are 'married' and carefully aligned. The radiator is in as well. From now on, steps are going to be smaller.

Then there's this. A customer brought his Jaguar for a service and asked for a ride to the train station. On the way back from the station, one of the mechanics noticed this little beauty stranded on the road. He stopped and offered his help. A young dad with a toddler was in the car. The car broke down in a serious way. No drive anymore as if a driveshaft is broken or came off. And it was HOT this afternoon! Not the best place to be with a young child. So, the mechanic towed the Fiat behind the 'company car' (A Ford Fusion...). It's now in the shop and the guy and his toddler were picked up by the guy's wife. Let's see what's going on with that car. But that's tomorrow.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The TR looks like it will be concourse, bloody beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The TR looks like it will be concourse, bloody beautiful.
    All cars that have been restored in the shop are potential concourse winners. But most owners are not interested in that.

Blog Entries
    Time for some Tech Talk!

A lot of TR6's are converted from Armstrong lever rear shocks to 'normal' shocks. The best moment for that is when chassis and body are separated. Like it was with this car. The owner bought a kit and it was welded and bolted to the chassis before it was powder coated.

And this is the moment a lot of restorers make a costly mistake

When body and chassis are 'married again', a lot of restorers drill holes in the body to attach the top of stanchion of the dampera. And that's the wrong moment to do! The correct moment is to wait until the last possible moment of the restoration. First attach all: fenders, bootlid, fuel tank, seat etc etc. The body, especially the rear end will come down a little under weight of all parts. When all's installed it's time to whip out the felt pen and the drill! Not earlier. I'm sure you can see the logic of this sequence! You can think ahead and come up with something stronger than the poxy rings that come with the upgrade...