closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Update* Changed the Date wheel but not the Day wheel!

definitely doing the right thing ,the whole point of rolex is what it says on the box or in this case the face i.e precision

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Changed the Date wheel but not the Day wheel!

Definitely not good enough - but I read that their service teams are being overwhelmed by problems with the new 32** calibre
    Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    That’s not good. I hope it’s shorter than 6 week turnaround, especially as it’s a fault after “repair”.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Spoken with RSC this afternoon and they now offer to change the white/black date disc to a silver/black date disc to be closer in colour to the day disc?
    They said that it wouldn't be an exact match as the original DAY Wheel has faded over years.
    I have asked if they replace the Date wheel as above, why can't they then replace the DAY wheel as well so they match!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    ?.. why can't they then replace the DAY wheel as well so they match!
    Have you actually asked them to do that?

*Update* Changed the Date wheel but not the Day wheel!

Why must you insist on trying to bring sense and reason into this?
    Rolex always know best so just accept their unerring judgement that mismatched day and date wheels are an ideal pairing.
    Better yet they even let you pay them to come up with this mismatched set rather than having to put up with the boring matched pair you sent it in with.
    On the bright side it’s still more validation of my decision to sell off all my Rolex rather than have to deal with RSC UK ever again
    I hope that you get it sorted soon as it’s a great looking watch

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Have you actually asked them to do that?
    Yes, in my email to them.
    If they offer, then Happy Days.
    If not I will ask what the cost would be to have it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Why must you insist on trying to bring sense and reason into this?
    Rolex always know best so just accept their unerring judgement that mismatched day and date wheels are an ideal pairing.
    Better yet they even let you pay them to come up with this mismatched set rather than having to put up with the boring matched pair you sent it in with...
    My understanding is that it was a warranty repair on a faulty date mechanism on a 47 year old watch. (See post #1 in the thread.)

Why would Rolex be expected to change a day-wheel (which isn't defective) under warranty? To colour-match? I'm not sure that's covered by the mechanical warranty.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    My understanding is that it was a warranty repair on a faulty date mechanism on a 47 year old watch. (See post #1 in the thread.)

Why would Rolex be expected to change a day-wheel (which isn't defective) under warranty? To colour-match? I'm not sure that's covered by the mechanical warranty.
    I could agree with you except that if someone had added a replacement bezel the same company would insist on restoring it at service to their original specification - at the customers expense.
    Surely they have therefore set a precedent that they should restore the day and date wheels to match as they did when new - or when it was sent in - at their expense?

Last edited by adg31; 26th April 2022 at 14:42.

I'm sure Rolex would happily have replaced the day wheel for aesthetic reasons at the OP's expense.

I could agree with you except that if someone had added a replacement bezel the same company would insist on restoring it at service to their original specification - at the customers expense.
    Why bring up 'a replacement bezel'? We're not discussing replacement or aftermarket parts - or, indeed, a service. It's a warranty repair to restore mechanical integrity to the operation of the date wheel.

Surely they have therefore set a precedent that they should restore the day and date wheels to match as they did when new - or when it was sent in - at their expense?
    Is the day wheel faulty in operation? The OP hasn't indicated that it is. Why should it be replaced under warranty if it it operating with Rolex tolerance?

The day wheel has aged with time. So have the dial, batons, lume spots and, I suppose, the case & bracelet. Replace them all under warranty to make the watch 'as new'?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'm sure Rolex would happily have replaced the day wheel for aesthetic reasons at the OP's expense.

Why bring up 'a replacement bezel'? We're not discussing replacement or aftermarket parts - or, indeed, a service. It's a warranty repair to restore mechanical integrity to the operation of the date wheel.

Is the day wheel faulty in operation? The OP hasn't indicated that it is. Why should it be replaced under warranty if it it operating with Rolex tolerance?

The day wheel has aged with time. So have the dial, batons, lume spots and, I suppose, the case & bracelet. Replace them all under warranty to make the watch 'as new'?
    Simple; because it clearly doesn’t match the original part when it should!
    Had the OP had the date wheel changed outside of Rolex service it would be interesting to see if they would have accepted it as being within their standards or insisted it be swapped out at the customers expense.
    I’m not saying that it should be restored to new every time but that matched parts should do just that - match.
    The cost of a Rolex service is not cheap and customers should have a reasonable expectation of the work being done to their satisfaction.
    My experience with Rolex Customer Service has been universally bad so may colour my views and I’m more than happy for you to disagree.

Thank you for both your inputs, both which have been useful.

I have spoken with RSC having received an email from them.

As it stands I have 3 options:

1) Keep the DAY and DATE wheels exactly as they are now. So Date being black on white and Day the originally one, which has slightly faded, but is black on silver.

2) They will replace the DATE wheel for a black on silver, though it is not an exact match to the DAY wheel, as it is a different colour of silver.

3) Have the new black on silver DATE wheel and pay for a new silver on black DAY wheel. But here is the hiccup in the plan, because the DAY and DATE wheels are made by different companies, the silver used are not the same shades, so would still show marginally different.

My thoughts are to just replace the DATE wheel for the silver on black and keep the original DAY wheel.

By the way, the easier solution for me, would have been keep the black on white DATE wheel and pay for a new black on white DAY wheel. But Rolex do not have them for that age of watch!
    Bloody typical!

"because the DAY and DATE wheels are made by different companies, the silver used are not the same shades, so would still show marginally different."

What a palaver! Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction and doesn't sour the watch for you.

I'm sure once it's done you'll be loving it!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Thank you for both your inputs, both which have been useful.

I have spoken with RSC having received an email from them.

As it stands I have 3 options:

1) Keep the DAY and DATE wheels exactly as they are now. So Date being black on white and Day the originally one, which has slightly faded, but is black on silver.

2) They will replace the DATE wheel for a black on silver, though it is not an exact match to the DAY wheel, as it is a different colour of silver.

3) Have the new black on silver DATE wheel and pay for a new silver on black DAY wheel. But here is the hiccup in the plan, because the DAY and DATE wheels are made by different companies, the silver used are not the same shades, so would still show marginally different.

My thoughts are to just replace the DATE wheel for the silver on black and keep the original DAY wheel.

By the way, the easier solution for me, would have been keep the black on white DATE wheel and pay for a new black on white DAY wheel. But Rolex do not have them for that age of watch!
    Bloody typical!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    "because the DAY and DATE wheels are made by different companies, the silver used are not the same shades, so would still show marginally different."

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    What a palaver! Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction and doesn't sour the watch for you.

I'm sure once it's done you'll be loving it!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    You just couldn't write it..............could you!

Now it's back with Rolex I'll say what I think, which is that there's no way on earth I'd accept the mismatched day and date wheels. Without question get that resolved whilst the watch is with them and don't listen to any excuses they might make.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Now it's back with Rolex I'll say what I think, which is that there's no way on earth I'd accept the mismatched day and date wheels. Without question get that resolved whilst the watch is with them and don't listen to any excuses they might make.
    Cheers Tony,
    I am going to follow it up again this morning.

it does make you question whether somebody is looking carefully at the repaired product as a whole not just the part repaired in isolation

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    So in 2022, a company like Rolex cannot get two different pieces of platsic (or whatever the day and date wheel are made out of), to match exactly? Absolute nonsense!

Rolex really do take the p1ss dont they. I have had nothing but shambolic customer service from them myself.

I have decided to go with option 2.

Option 3 was a possibility as the cost of a new DAY wheel was £64 plus fitting etc.

But as there would still be a slight difference in colours. RSC advised me that it wouldn’t make much of an improvement over the original one.
    In their opinion the disc had kept most of its original colour.

Option 3 was a possibility as the cost of a new DAY wheel was £64 plus fitting etc.

But as there would still be a slight difference in colours. RSC advised me that it wouldn’t make much of an improvement over the original one. In their opinion the disc had kept most of its original colour.
    On re-reading the options in the cold light of day, I think this is the best way to go. Best of luck and please let us see the end results when it returns.

Embrace the D/Ddifference like Fortis did with their Cosmonauts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    My 5100 pictured below has the tachymeter bezel and the white and off-white day and date display. I haven't fathomed why the day and date wheels would be designed to be slightly different shades but it's an idiosyncrasy that I like.

But as there would still be a slight difference in colours. RSC advised me that it wouldn’t make much of an improvement over the original one.
    In their opinion the disc had kept most of its original colour.

I’d probably have gone for option 3 as a colour mismatch would irritate me even more than being stiffed for an extra £64.00 by Rolex. I guess that these parts must cost them less than a tenth the price they charge and find it deplorable that a company that charge so much will skimp on the costs of keeping customers happy.
    Another reason why I’m glad I sold all my Rolex off back in 2018.
    I hope that it works out to your satisfaction as it’s a great looking watch

Last edited by adg31; 27th April 2022 at 13:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

I thought Rolex made all their own parts since they bought out Aegler who used to make movements exclusively for Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I thought Rolex made all their own parts since they bought out Aegler who used to make movements exclusively for Rolex.
    I think some small parts are still outsourced. Hands, crystals. May be day and date wheels too but it is surprising that they would not be matched. May be for the vintage Rolexes. They are perfectly matched for the modern Day Dates.

Yesterday, I contacted the seller from who I purchased the DD from.
    He enlightened me, that when he purchased it, the watch was fitted with an Italian DAY wheels.
    So, when he sent it into RSC in the 4th quarter of last year, he has for the wheel to be changed for an English one.
    Supposedly, they fitted a new English Day wheel.
    With that in mind, I am glad that I decided not offer to pay for a further Day wheel.
    To be fair the match when I bought it was not noticeable, so fingers crossed.
    Rolex have said that once they have made the changes, they will email me a photo of how it looks.

Do you think that as the watch has spent so much time at Rolex since the service card was issued in December 2021, they will issue a new one with a full 2 yrs warranty?

I have nothing to lose by asking.

Master
    Do you think that as the watch has spent so much time at Rolex since the service card was issued in December 2021, they will issue a new one with a full 2 yrs warranty?

I have nothing to lose by asking.
    I very much doubt that tbh but good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I very much doubt that tbh but good luck.
    And Rolex's response was:

"We kindly advise that work carried out under the service guarantee does not extend the life of the existing guarantee.

Your service guarantee is valid until December 2023 and the current work that we are undertaking would also be covered by this."

I have asked for the matter to be escalated.
    Well if you don't ask................

Tony's comment above is exactly right. Not good enough. Sort it out Rolex. The end.

Email received from Rolex towards the end of last week.

"We received your timepiece into our service centre under repair reference 29424 on 10thMarch, the correction was completed within 4 weeks and dispatched from us on 6th April. Given the amount of work we currently have in the workshop, we are estimating 6 weeks for guarantee repairs and your previous repair was completed ahead of schedule.

We then received the repair back on 21st April under repair reference 32767.

Notwithstanding, upon completion of this most recent repair, we would be pleased to enclose one year’s extension on your current service guarantee."

Happy with the compromise. :-)

Journeyman
    I'm glad to hear they've extended the warranty- hopefully the colour match will be an improvement. Seems ridiculous to me that they can only offer you a list of options where none of them are ideal, especially if you're prepared to pay to get what you want.

Sounds like a good compromise
    I wonder if the current level of work in their workshop relates to the reported problems with the 32** series movement?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good compromise
    I wonder if the current level of work in their workshop relates to the reported problems with the 32** series movement?

Probably staff still WFH.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG