closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Exp II Polar 16570 NOS

Rolex Exp II Polar 16570 NOS

Evening all,

I've been lurking around C24 and many other websites for an Explorer II Polar for quite some time.

I just popped into my local AD to enquiry whether they had one and out of pure luck they happened to have a 2001 NOS B&P in the safe with stickers and plastics.

First offer was £6.5k.

I'm not an expert so would welcome some inputs:

- watch has some rust spots on the bracelet. Being a SS how's that possible? Can they be polished and brought to new?

- warranty card is untouched. Should I ask to leave it blank or to fill it in? I don't envision to sell it anytime soon but what would retain more value?

- being a NOS would you recommend that I send it to Rolex for servicing? Warranty would be 24 months from the dealer (official Rolex AD).

- I'm unsure about the quote, is that in line with the value of the watch?

Below some pictures (excuse the poor photography skills).

Dave

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

Master
    This is from a Rolex AD?
    If so, they should be providing a full Rolex warranty.
    In addition, at that age, I would expect them to offer a Rolex service in the deal.

As for the rust spots, are they definitely on the watch itself and not something it was resting against which may rub off?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This is from a Rolex AD?
    If so, they should be providing a full Rolex warranty.
    In addition, at that age, I would expect them to offer a Rolex service in the deal.

As for the rust spots, are they definitely on the watch itself and not something it was resting against which may rub off?
    Yes Rolex AD. Even if the watch is a 2001 model I should expect to have full 5 years warranty?

I haven't asked about the source of the rust spots to be honest but that is a good question. I would imagine that if I'm able to include a servicing, those would be rectified anyway?

It does not seem a bad price from an AD being NOS but as they are an official Rolex AD should they not being selling it at last retail price?

I would also expect it to come with the full 5 year Rolex warranty if they are selling it as new.

Unless they are selling it as a used model then none of the above counts.

Master
    My understanding is if they are truly selling a new watch, then it should come with the Rolex warranty. Whether that is 5 years, I don’t know if they would try to get of that, but you should certainly expect 5 years as they are charging you the same price as the newer, superior model. Perhaps they are factoring in a service into the price too

It's quite clear they are not selling it as a new watch. It's being sold as pre-owned, but in new-old-stock condition with factory stickers apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    It's quite clear they are not selling it as a new watch. It's being sold as pre-owned, but in new-old-stock condition with factory stickers apparently.
    Yes correct, sold as pre-owned but unworn and with full set of stickers.

First time that I'm in this situation so not sure what I should expect (and what not)...

Master
    Well unworn and NOS are quite different.

I would be looking for a Rolex service as part of the deal which would then give 2 years warranty

Blog Entries
    If they service it, it's worth it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    That’s a very good price IMO. I am fortunate to own one and they have always trailed behind the subs Etc in price so offer a great entrance into the world of Rolex sports watches when everything else seems out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Well unworn and NOS are quite different.

I would be looking for a Rolex service as part of the deal which would then give 2 years warranty
    Agree! In practice its been sitting in their safe for quite some time and it's essentially new (at least at the quick glance I could give).

I was in a rush tonight (and honestly a bit surprised when they said they had one in the flesh). Will come back for a more detailed view tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    That’s a very good price IMO. I am fortunate to own one and they have always trailed behind the subs Etc in price so offer a great entrance into the world of Rolex sports watches when everything else seems out of reach.
    I very much like the white dial and find it to be one of the best sports watches out there. Maybe not a dress watch but very versatile for any other occasion.

Bit of a newbie question...if this is indeed nos where has it been all this time?

I had no idea these were fetching that much? Happy days

Considering it clearly isn't NOS and has scratches and marks all over it, and the movement will be dried to a crisp, I would say if they include a full Rolex movement service and a light polish with subsequent two-year warranty for your £6.5k, then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Bit of a newbie question...if this is indeed nos where has it been all this time?
    Good question! Probably one that I should have asked - and will tomorrow

To be honest they caught me off-guard when they said "oh, yes, we have one in the safe and it's essentially brand new with stickers and plastics still on".

Having followed for months the craziness shared on this forum on the unavailability of Rolex sports watches, I thought this too would have been quite difficult to get...

Mines a 2001 watch that I have owned for nearly 20 years, its a fantastic watch. Do you want this to wear or as an investment?

2001 was a transition model, does it have lugholes and the SEL bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by dade.c View Post
    Having followed for months the craziness shared on this forum on the unavailability of Rolex sports watches, I thought this too would have been quite difficult to get...

A quick google search would have shown you thousands of available examples of this model.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Mines a 2001 watch that I have owned for nearly 20 years, its a fantastic watch. Do you want this to wear or as an investment?

2001 was a transition model, does it have lugholes and the SEL bracelet?
    Would be to wear and keep it for a very long time! Son/daughter coming next year so would love to pass it over when the time comes...

The lugs have the holes but not sure how to tell a SEL bracelet apart from the hollow one?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    A quick google search would have shown you thousands of available examples of this model.
    Not sure about the "thousands" - unless I'm looking at the wrong reference, there are 76 with Box & Papers on C24, only 7 of which in the UK. As an estimation there might be another 20 - 30 in the UK from other sellers (WF etc..)

But yes, it's popular but not anywhere near other models...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I had no idea these were fetching that much? Happy days
    That is a great picture. I have to say this watch is growing on me a lot these last few months.

Would be to wear and keep it for a very long time! Son/daughter coming next year so would love to pass it over when the time comes...

The lugs have the holes but not sure how to tell a SEL bracelet apart from the hollow one?

Ask them to check the serial number when you next look at it and have a quick peak at the end links when they remove the bracelet.

It’s a SEL bracelet.

Journeyman
    Definitely worth it IMO, used ones are selling above 6k on internet, a bit lower on forums, but as others have said, definitely will need a service so try to get that included. I'd caution against a polish though, those rust blemishes will likely buff out easily with a microfiber cloth and some everyday Cif cream, no point removing an original factory finish unless truly needed.

to me..

1. NOS- you're the first hand owner with a clean card and warranty period should start from the date stamped on the card;

2. Unused - card was filled and owner kept it as collectible with all the stickers on and warranty period might has been expired;

For those "rust" , it might be just trails of glue from stickers...see it yourself

I still have one genuine NOS in the drawer. Kinda disappointed as I was told it was purchased at around 4.5KGBP and there is just 50% appreciation over time...for an discontinued ROLEX.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 9th September 2020 at 08:46.

I think this is a great deal for a Rolex Explorer (including stickers) from an AD - where would you find another? If you don't want it then please PM me with the details of the AD.....I will buy it in a flash.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammers23 View Post
    Definitely worth it IMO, used ones are selling above 6k on internet, a bit lower on forums, but as others have said, definitely will need a service so try to get that included. I'd caution against a polish though, those rust blemishes will likely buff out easily with a microfiber cloth and some everyday Cif cream, no point removing an original factory finish unless truly needed.
    Cif cream is abrasive, surely you do not want to use that on a watch? Or am I wrong here and is it widely used instead of dedicated metal polishes?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    to me..

1. NOS- you're the first hand owner with a clean card and warranty period should start from the date stamped on the card;

2. Unused - card was filled and owner kept it as collectible with all the stickers on and warranty period might has been expired;

For those "rust" , it might be just trails of glue from stickers...see it yourself

I still have one genuine NOS in the drawer. Kinda disappointed as I was told it was purchased at around 4.5KGBP and there is just 50% appreciation over time...for an discontinued ROLEX.
    If NOS is only defined by the clean warranty card, then this classifies as NOS since the warranty card is untouched.
    Whether I will get the 5 years warranty it remains to be discussed with the AD.

I'm not looking to buy it as an investment but obviously happy if it will appreciate over time. Probably, this amount of cash might yield more with other forms of investments but that is not the goal here.

As for service (excluded polishing), I will try to include it in the price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    Cif cream is abrasive, surely you do not want to use that on a watch? Or am I wrong here and is it widely used instead of dedicated metal polishes?
    I have used it lightly on BRUSHED surfaces back and forth in the direction of the brushing to remove water marks and staining to good effect. But I suspect there is a better product for the job. What I wouldn't use is any polishing product that might reduce the appearance of the brushing

If NOS is only defined by the clean warranty card, then this classifies as NOS since the warranty card is untouched.
    Whether I will get the 5 years warranty it remains to be discussed with the AD.
    If the warranty card is blank I would expect them to sell it at the current list price for the 42mm Explorer II as you are buying new from an AD. It should come with a 5 year warranty and I would want a service included at their cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammers23 View Post
    I have used it lightly on BRUSHED surfaces back and forth in the direction of the brushing to remove water marks and staining to good effect. But I suspect there is a better product for the job. What I wouldn't use is any polishing product that might reduce the appearance of the brushing
    I use this product to gently polish metal surfaces.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OLV3B..._PIlwFb1YNA56R

I guess that some WD40 might do the trick for rust spots?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If the warranty card is blank I would expect them to sell it at the current list price for the 42mm Explorer II as you are buying new from an AD. It should come with a 5 year warranty and I would want a service included at their cost.
    I understand the logic but isn't the 42mm a completely different product?

Anyway, first quote was £6,500 so it is only downwards to that as I see it...

I understand the logic but isn't the 42mm a completely different product?

Anyway, first quote was £6,500 so it is only downwards to that as I see it...
    To wear the newer Explorer II is entirely different but I can see the logic here; it is a new Explorer II just the older model. The offer being £6,500 isn't much of a saving over the newer 42mm Explorer II which is £6,650 according to the Rolex website.

If there was damage or marks on the bracelet I would being expecting NEW bracelet or to be buffed out to look new, 5 year warranty and full service. No idea what the AD cost price or retail price of an Explorer II was back in 2001 but one thing is for sure the retail price was a lot less than it is now!

I'm not looking to buy it as an investment but obviously happy if it will appreciate over time. Probably, this amount of cash might yield more with other forms of investments but that is not the goal here.
    Yes! Markets are down now but if you'd have bought Tesla stock back in March ... but nothing is guaranteed not even the markets.

Please post updates as I am really intrigued as to how this watch has been in the safe for so long without being noticed, having helped run a business it is never good to have an asset being stowed away. Also surprised that the AD found it so quickly and that nobody else has come asking for it before now and in the pictures doesn't look to have any stickers, just a bezel protector.

In those years, black is more popular than Polar but I just like the white dial which indeed I guess they might have done some special treatment to it.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 10th September 2020 at 04:30.