closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Penknives

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Rough Rider are excellent value for money and generally very well made. I have a few of them as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Any suggestions to replace a lost leatherman squirt? Something with scissors, philips and flat screwdriver. Not too fussed about the pliers. Don't fancy the gerber dime for some reason. The T4 above looks nice but doesn't it have a locking blade so no good for EDC in the UK? Does the magnet collect swarf and mess?

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Any suggestions to replace a lost leatherman squirt? Something with scissors, philips and flat screwdriver. Not too fussed about the pliers. Don't fancy the gerber dime for some reason. The T4 above looks nice but doesn't it have a locking blade so no good for EDC in the UK? Does the magnet collect swarf and mess?
    If a penknife and folding blade then:

Victorinox Super Tinker, the Phillips is a back tool
    Victorinox Fieldmaster, or Evolution Grip 18, Phillips back tool, adds a saw
    Victorinox Explorer gives an in-line Phillips

There are others, but they become monsters with the number of layers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    If a penknife and folding blade then:

Victorinox Super Tinker, the Phillips is a back tool
    Victorinox Fieldmaster, or Evolution Grip 18, Phillips back tool, adds a saw
    Victorinox Explorer gives an in-line Phillips

There are others, but they become monsters with the number of layers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheer. I see there's a deluxe tinker too, with pliers; and a luxury version of that even:
    https://www.farrar-tanner.co.uk/in-t...ion-2018-p1951

Clearly not for everyday use.

The cybertool looks useful as well, with a choice of bits. But no scissors until you go to the "M" size. Shame they don't do a "build your own" service.

There are plenty of customisers out there.

I guess, but I reckon victorinox must be missing a trick here.

I have ended up with all sorts of penknives as I used to buy a sharps box from auction, basically knives confiscated at airports, mostly Victorinox of different sizes and tools but amongst them I picked up the odd gem, one being this Lone Wolf Tighe Pan designed by Brian Tighe, extremely well made and a beautiful blade made of S30V but not EDC - pic robbed of the net but exactly the same as mine..

Got this last week - pretty good:

Master
    Blog Entries

The cybertool looks useful as well, with a choice of bits. But no scissors until you go to the "M" size. Shame they don't do a "build your own" service.
    I believe they do but only in store (London - Bond Street). I often wonder what I’d have.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I believe they do but only in store (London - Bond Street). I often wonder what I’d have.
    I could only find this online:

https://www.newlyswissed.com/victori...ss-army-knive/

But it seems it's not a real knife and it's in Zurich. Maybe once covid has died down I could do a London visit.

Master
    Blog Entries

its only build a Spartan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its only build a Spartan.
    That’s p*ss-poor - what’s the point of that? That said, scissors instead of the can and bottle openers... the Compact you posted recently would be perfect, if it had a small blade too (I use one and keep the other for emergencies when I NEED a sharp blade)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Far from me the idea of saying anything bad about those lovely slicers, cheap enough to not worry about that were my go-to knives throughout my teen years; indeed, I still have a trusty n°9, plus a mushroom knife and an oyster one.
    However, while the size of the blade is under 3 inches, the «*virole*» makes it a locking knife in English law and as such you need good reason to carry it outside (I prefer this formulation rather than ‘illegal’ because they aren’t).
    You can remove the virole by leveraging a screwdriver against it. It’s reversible (you can put it back on) and would make it acceptable for EDC. But it would be more dangerous to use, unless you only slice your saucisson with it,; however this in itself would constitute good reason
    I'm so glad you said that, it triggers me when people bang on about 'Illegal knives'.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Rough Rider are excellent value for money and generally very well made. I have a few of them as well.
    Might be made in China nowadays but they are so much bang for the buck. I have a Stockman and a Doctors knife by Rough Rider, quality of build is amazing for the cost. Brass liners, 440 steel, real confidence inspiring build quality; you can pick them up at car boot sales for pennies!

I have quite a few Victorinox penknives kicking around. Some 30 to 40 years old or more.

But this isn't about them.
    I was clearing out my Dad's house and came across this

Made by Lockwood bros in Sheffield. It has 'Real Knife' a running bird logo and the word 'Pampas' on the main blade.
    I believe it is a 'jack knife' as both blades are hinged at the same end.
    It was very stiff to open, I haven't tried to clean it, just put some oil in the hinge which has freed things up a bit and the oil took the surface dirt off the blade.
    I doubt this has seen the light of day for over 50 years, it is still very sharp!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I realy like that one those little pen blades are terrific.

clean the pivot in a bowl of warm water opening and closing and try using a tooth brush or razor cleaning brush as well then oil.

sometimes I have to do this several time to get all the grit out to free them off.

dry the wood as soon as possible away from heat and sun.

OK, here's a bunch of what I'd classify as penknives, the 'tactical' Micro Recon included, that I have here at my current location. Photo skills unchanged. Anything catches your eye, feel free to ask.

Master
    I normally carry 2 - A Real Steel Luna to which I've added a thumb screw and a Swiss Army Manager - the one with the integrated pen which has been useful on many an occasion.

maseman

I've got the usual assortment of Swiss Army knives and odds and sods but also this clasp knife:
    (I used to have/may still have somewhere the Navy equivalent (jack knife) with the marlinspike)

It looks a bit abused, and it is, but the springs are still really strong and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I've got the usual assortment of Swiss Army knives and odds and sods but also this clasp knife:
    (I used to have/may still have somewhere the Navy equivalent (jack knife) with the marlinspike)

It looks a bit abused, and it is, but the springs are still really strong and precise.

Nice. Copper bail & no bottle opener, early ww2 methinks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

These are built like tanks,they where tougher than us back in the day.

Can you read the date on the tin opener?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    These are built like tanks,they where tougher than us back in the day.

Can you read the date on the tin opener?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some people seem to collect all the various colours of a model like say a cadet but dont use them, just display in a cabinet.

I buy mostly old soldiers,91mm and SAKS with tools that I can and will use.

Something else I have too many of.
    At least I'm at the cheaper end of penknives and have stopped buying then

TBH it's normally one of the 2 X modded 54mm SAK I have to hand day to day. The others are out of sight of small people and out of mind for the most part

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bantam is a real classic EDC.

I had a nice Alox money clip with blade and scissors on me when I was unexpectedly taken into hospital.
    The clip is ideal to fix in a pouch slip.

I had no idea of the 74mm SAK size until last year.

I used it quite a bit,not wanting to bother a nurse I used the scissor’s to cut tape to refit my cannula for example.

My watch was on a NATO so I wrapped it around my glasses case and made a bedside clock.
    I had to many things attached to my arms and chest that my watch got in the way.

I also had a torch with my keys but didnt need it as the reading light worked.

This was proper EDC using only what I had on me,if I had any idea that I was going to be i for days I would have bought more with me.

Top tip take a power bank and a phone charger at least,it was not easy to get my phone charged up.

https://www.victorinox.com/kr/en/Pro...ox/p/0.6540.16

Last edited by bwest76; 10th December 2023 at 23:31.

https://togknives.com/products/higonokami-folding-knife

Has anyone had experience with these?
    I am after a thin, inexpensive, easy open knife and this company makes half decent kitchen knives.
    I like, maybe even prefer carbon steel over stainless as it’s easier to sharpen, although does blunt a bit easier.

Any other suggestions out there I should look at? Must be UK carry legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    ...I am after a thin, inexpensive, easy open knife and this company makes half decent kitchen knives.
    I like, maybe even prefer carbon steel over stainless as it’s easier to sharpen, although does blunt a bit easier.

Maybe this: https://heinnie.com/real-steel-heinnie-haynes-luna-glow-in-the-dark?

I find mine easy enough to open two-handed. I did try using a thumb stud but didn't keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Something British although in stainless

https://bakewellcookshop.com/joseph-...et-knife-s90s/

Quelque chose français en acier carbone

https://heinnie.com/douk-douk-petite-folder

Etwas Deutsches aus Kohlenstoffstahl

https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/otter...scription=true
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2024 at 11:56.

Any suggestions to replace a lost leatherman squirt?
    I had a Squirt PS4 on my keyring until recently when the keyring attachment thingy snapped. Before that, I had a Victorinox SD on there for years. I have just replaced that with the rambler, which is probably the perfect replacement for the Squirt if you don't care about the pliers. I actually probably used the pliers more than anything, but I am now enjoying having a much lighter set of keys again!

The rambler does pretty much everything the Leatherman does, except for pliers and it only has a nail file instead of a proper metal file. But it also has tweezers and a toothpick!

Cheers. They do look a lot smaller than the squirt. Just been doing a little online window shopping, there's a manager too which is the same thing but with a pen. And the mini champ looks like a load of random stuff thrown together.
    Too much choice out there with the possibility to keep going up the chain, so to speak, until the original point of the purchase is lost.

Cheers. They do look a lot smaller than the squirt. Just been doing a little online window shopping, there's a manager too which is the same thing but with a pen.
    It's also thicker. Depends if the pen is useful enough to offset that. I actually used to have a full Spacepen on my keyring, which admittedly adds even more bulk, but on the other hand, it's an actual, fully usable pen, which I doubt the manager is.

Alternatively, there's Ohto Minimo. I used to have one of these in my wallet until I stopped carrying a wallet altogether. The picture doesn't fully get across how small it is. But it's just big enough to be able to hold and write with.

And the mini champ looks like a load of random stuff thrown together.
    It does a bit. Apparently it has every tool they make in that size. The Swiss Champ is the same idea, but in the larger size. It's a "flagship" in the sense that there's nothing missing. Doesn't make it especially practical though. I still don't know what that weird rectangular spoon thing is for.

Too much choice out there with the possibility to keep going up the chain, so to speak, until the original point of the purchase is lost.
    Indeed. I've bought far too many of them & now trying to find specific uses for each one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers. They do look a lot smaller than the squirt. Just been doing a little online window shopping, there's a manager too which is the same thing but with a pen. And the mini champ looks like a load of random stuff thrown together.
    I carry a Midnite Manager which adds a tiny torch. The pen is a decent size if you also fold out the Philips screwdriver to add to the length. Enough to take legible notes with.

The Mini Champ is pretty pointless (yes, I have one)

I carry a Midnite Manager which adds a tiny torch. The pen is a decent size if you also fold out the Philips screwdriver to add to the length. Enough to take legible notes with.

The Mini Champ is pretty pointless (yes, I have one)
    I've have a little LED torch on my keyring, though that's probably redundant now that every phone has an LED that can be used as one too. I like the alox look of the mini champ, it's a shame it's not available on the other little victorinox. I feel like I'm coming back to the leatherman squirt, but although I can't remember what I paid they seem expensive these days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've have a little LED torch on my keyring, though that's probably redundant now that every phone has an LED that can be used as one too. I like the alox look of the mini champ, it's a shame it's not available on the other little victorinox. I feel like I'm coming back to the leatherman squirt, but although I can't remember what I paid they seem expensive these days.
    I also daily carry the Squirt PS4 as the spring pliers are fantastic and the knife blade is easily accessed for a fingernail chewer. The can/bottle openers tools are pretty rubbish compared to the SAK though - the magnetised Philips on the SAK 58mm tools is fantastic when you are changing batteries in kids toys.

Master
    Blog Entries
    the first model is the best.

I thought that was a brand of condom? (Allegedly)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I thought that was a brand of condom? (Allegedly)
    its an excellent song.

Craftsman
    Remind me of the old timers I used to have in Australia, think they were manufactured by Buck?