closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Summer Hols 2020

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Not too concerned if cruise is cancelled, however we have paid for flights to Singapore and hotel for 2 nights and another hotel Hong Kong and flight home already so not sure how that would pan out if cruise was cancelled
    We had this last year - we were going to Aus/NZ via a few days in HK. With all the unrest over there we decided not to take our daughter. Our flights to HK were booked with air miles so we lost a small charge. Our flights from HK to Aus cost us 10% approximately as that was Cathay's cancellation policy. Our hotel was non refundable but they have agreed to carry over the booking until the end of this year - our big cost was rebooking flights via Singapore.

In short unless the Foreign Office advise you not to go the insurance companies won't pay out - it may be worth checking each part of the booking to see about cancellation charges. I suspect that if they can't get it under control soon then it may happen.

Master
    Retired so can go anywhere, anytime etc.

Will spend 5 months in the Spanish house and we have a couple of weeks booked doing a tour of the Holy Lands. Will also do the usual trick of a last minute booking for a few places which will be either a UK or European based city break.

Long distance flights are now a thing of the past. We went to India last year and the flights were just a PITA. Comfort take a priority when you get older.

The one thing I have gone past is ocean cruises.

Grand Master
    Nowhere!

Made no holiday plans owing to a house purchase deal that’s now looking like it won’t happen, a complicated situation in the ‘couldn’t make it up ‘ category that’s been rumbling on since last October

Probably manage a week in Spain at some point, if my knee recovers I fancy a few days walking in the UK somewhere during July/August.

Being retired is a permanant holiday......but its nice to have a change of scenery. Agree with Mick re long flights, I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th February 2020 at 14:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nowhere!

Made no holiday plans owing to a house purchase deal that’s now looking like it won’t happen, a complicated situation in the ‘couldn’t make it up ‘ category that’s been rumbling on since last October

Probably manage a week in Spain at some point, if my knee recovers I fancy a few days walking in the UK somewhere during July/August.

Being retired is a permanant holiday......but its nice to have a change of scenery. Agree with Mick re long flights, I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.

You have you Grumpy head on today Paul. So sorry to here the house as been cancelled, bigger garage and all that.

Feel for you on the house stuff. Bottom of our chain was a compulsory purchase order via HS2 which went quiet when Theresa May was on the way out. Took 13 months from under offer to completed in the end. We're in the process of buying now as couldn't tie it in with a purchase and holidays are on hold.

I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.
    Careful, quite a few third world dumps within our own country, let alone our current union of countries. Also one man's first world is a other man's third world.

Craftsman
    Costa Adeje for a week in July here. We go here most years but trying a new hotel that we had a tour of last year so looking forward to a change of scene.

If we like it we plan to go again in October.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Costa Adeje for a week in July here. We go here most years but trying a new hotel that we had a tour of last year so looking forward to a change of scene.

If we like it we plan to go again in October.
    +1, been there a few times and I’ll go again.

Craftsman
    +1, been there a few times and I’ll go again.

Hopefully without a sand storm in sight!

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=wileeeeeey;5330988
    Careful, quite a few third world dumps within our own country, let alone our current union of countries. Also one man's first world is a other man's third world.[/QUOTE]

Following serious health problems in 2014 my immune system is officially compromised. Unofficially I’m as fit as a fiddle and no different from what I ever was, but it’s always at the back of my mind. For that reason I’ll always avoid destinations where I don’t trust the healthcare, isn’t worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Retired so can go anywhere, anytime etc.

Long distance flights are now a thing of the past. We went to India last year and the flights were just a PITA. Comfort take a priority when you get older.
    Have you considered flying Business or First Class? I've no experience of First but Business (Club World) on BA is sublime. It's so nice and comfy that I'm a little reluctant to get off the plane.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Have you considered flying Business or First Class? I've no experience of First but Business (Club World) on BA is sublime. It's so nice and comfy that I'm a little reluctant to get off the plane.
    Club world is honestly terrible! So much so people class BA first as their business offering (used to be the world's best business).

The new BA club world seats on
    select routes is a massive improvement compared to the current offering.

I'm surprised you think BA club world is sublime, the hard product isn't comfy compared to the market and until the recent switch to do&co food was poverty.

Disclaimer

I've flown both BA first & CW, when flying OW It would have to be Qatar or Qantas otherwise I stick to *A carriers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Club world is honestly terrible!

I'm surprised you think BA club world is sublime, the hard product isn't comfy compared to the market and until the recent switch to do&co food was poverty.

Disclaimer

I've flown both BA first & CW, when flying OW It would have to be Qatar or Qantas otherwise I stick to *A carriers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm surprised that you are surprised. Compared to Economy, Club World is sublime. My point was if comfort is stopping Mick P from going long haul, an upgrade to CW or 1st is a dramatic improvement over Economy in terms of comfort. I wasn't blown away by the food in CW but the overall experience was great.

I have no idea what you are on about in your disclaimer. It sounds like a coded message.

2 weeks in Dubai at the JA Beach. Golf, sea and eating.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We had this last year - we were going to Aus/NZ via a few days in HK. With all the unrest over there we decided not to take our daughter. Our flights to HK were booked with air miles so we lost a small charge. Our flights from HK to Aus cost us 10% approximately as that was Cathay's cancellation policy. Our hotel was non refundable but they have agreed to carry over the booking until the end of this year - our big cost was rebooking flights via Singapore.

In short unless the Foreign Office advise you not to go the insurance companies won't pay out - it may be worth checking each part of the booking to see about cancellation charges. I suspect that if they can't get it under control soon then it may happen.
    Thanks for advice and sharing your experiences 👍