timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HMRC Scam

Blog Entries

HMRC Scam

Out of interest anybody else had a phone call from

0289 581 3964

Purporting to be from HMRC?

Friend of mine had a call from the same scam artists couple of weeks back. Luckily spotted it early on in the call and asked them to kindly F off. Scumbags!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post

0289 581 3964

Belfast STD code, number belongs to a company called Belfast GB, and yes HMRC scam

The biggest joke is the idea that HMRC would actually phone anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Yes quite

Master
    Exactly the same thing on my mobile several times last week although from a London number 0208....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What do they ask you exactly?

I assume they are trying to get you pay over some money for something or other.

Is it just me, or does anyone else simply not answer calls from numbers in contacts or ones I explicitly recognise? I just shut it it and when it has finish bar the number. Not that that does any good as they're spoofing the calling number and change it willy-nilly anyway but it makes me feel better. Wish really I could bar all calls except those from numbers associated with my contacts (iphone).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    What do they ask you exactly?

I assume they are trying to get you pay over some money for something or other.
    I can only presume they say you owe the national debt but for an early payment via card your numbers and pin etc you can escape.

Master
    The message I had was that I was owing unpaid tax and that if I wanted to avoid an immediate court summons I had to call them back immediately, yeah right!!
    The woman leaving the message was American, if you get the call I'm sure you will know it's a scam.
    Older more vulnerable people may not, so it's worth spreading the word about these scumbags, they will never give up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else simply not answer calls from numbers in contacts or ones I explicitly recognise? I just shut it it and when it has finish bar the number. Not that that does any good as they're spoofing the calling number and change it willy-nilly anyway but it makes me feel better. Wish really I could bar all calls except those from numbers associated with my contacts (iphone).
    Nope. If its not a saved contact I just ignore it. If it is someone who really wants to talk to me they can leave a voicemail and I'll chose whether I want to get back to them.

Reading about so many scams nowadays, I decided to get rid of me mobile and landline altogether. Next, I'll be boarding up my letterbox. (sorry sounddude)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Just had one today! The computer voice left me a message from HMRC saying I owed money and there would be a warrant filed for my arrest.

The really strange thins is a video was suggested to me yesterday on YT (I just let it run on my TV) and the guy had one of the scammers for this exact scam on the phone and he was winding him up. Pick up my phone this morning and there’s an answerphone msg with the above!

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post

0289 581 3964

Other half had a text "from the HMRC" yesterday...must be the in scam of the week.

Master
    Think I heard it mentioned on Radio 5 earlier today so it must be some mass scam effort. Sadly, they don't need too many people to fall for it in order to make it worthwhile.

Blog Entries
    I had a call from the IRS in Jacksonville FLA when i was paying American tax along with UK tax and my affairs were sorted out very quickly it was 4am in the morning there 9am here in London at the time but the young lady was on the ball.

Regarding this scam anyone who is self employed must know what the threat of an inspection does to ones lower regions.
    Last edited by mart broad; 28th November 2018 at 16:46.

Craftsman
    Got the same but from a Birmingham number

Master
    Blog Entries
    Factually incorrect. HMRC will call you but if it’s a callback they will ask for a security word. If you are unsure if the call is bona fide you should ring the number on the website to check it’s legitimancy.
    Here is a link on identifying and reporting scams.

https://www.gov.uk/topic/dealing-wit...phishing-scams

Blog Entries
    I had an email today with a proposed ‘tax rebate’ and to click the link .

I stupidly did, I was directed to a gov.uk phishing clone site page with put your details and bank details in . Reported to HMRC !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I had an email today with a proposed ‘tax rebate’ and to click the link .

I stupidly did, I was directed to a gov.uk phishing clone site page with put your details and bank details in . Reported to HMRC !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HMRC would NEVER ask you enter your bank details in this way

Craftsman
    We keep an Acme Thunderer referees whistle by the phone. All scam calls get a very loud blast into the handset......

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    It can be done - in settings switch on “Do not disturb” and then choose “allow calls from contacts”. You could also download a silent ringtone and set it as default and then assign specific ringtones to friends and family.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kdes24uk View Post
    It can be done - in settings switch on “Do not disturb” and then choose “allow calls from contacts”. You could also download a silent ringtone and set it as default and then assign specific ringtones to friends and family.

Kev
    Superb, yes, thanks. Doh! I use DND overnight but during the day as well. Nice one thank you and I like the idea of the silent ringtone.