closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Rolex in Dubai... Please help!!

Buying a Rolex in Dubai... Please help!!

Gents...

My MD is travelling to Dubai next week and wants to buy a Yellow Gold Sky Dweller while he's out there.

Can anyone tell me the best AD's to go to (or better still contact re: stock in advance) please and also explain the VAT/tax position?

Thanks in advance for any advice....
    Last edited by spuds; 28th September 2018 at 10:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Gents...

My MD is travelling to Dubai next week and wants to buy a Yellow Gold Sky Dweller while he's out there.

Can anyone tell me the best AD's to go to (or better still contact re: stock in advance) please and also explain the VAT/tax position?

Thanks in advance for any advice....
    Isn't Dubai expensive for Rolex? I bet you could get some discount on that model in the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seddiqi have ADs in town at the airport, decent AD and prices are the same between the two.

Master
    It should be declared when returning and would be subject to VAT and import duty. Not sure with these additions it would be any cheaper and these are not difficult to source in the UK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Isn't Dubai expensive for Rolex? I bet you could get some discount on that model in the UK.
    10% is possible from an AD with no difficulty. Also worth noting that if he buys in the UK before Monday, then it will be pre price rise which is likely to be over a grand

Master
    I think Ahmed Seddiqi and sons are the only official Rolex dealers in Dubai. They have showrooms in all the main shopping malls, as well as in some major (expensive) hotels.
    Price wise, they tend to be more expensive than the U.K. but the choice of precious metal models can be better. And if you like diamonds on your watch, you can fill your boots.
    I’m flying home from DXB on Sunday, so I always take a look at their stock but the more desirable SS models are never on display.
    As has been said, they should be declared at customs on the way back, which really makes them much more expensive than buying at home. I guess the only benefit would be getting a hard to find piece more easily here.

Dubai will work out more expensive than the UK. Exchange rate, local RRP and then import duty would end up being much more.
    In the UK you can get a discount on PM as they are slow movers. In the UAE PM watches are much more popular - I don't know if that affects the avalibility of a discount.
    Last I checked on a SS model out would be more expensive to buy in Dubai even without import duty or VAT.

Aha!!

Thanks for all the advice Gents, if buying in Dubai works our dearer I'll send him along to my 'own' AD....

Thanks again Gents....

Craftsman
    another vote for sediqui from me

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Aha!!

Thanks for all the advice Gents, if buying in Dubai works our dearer I'll send him along to my 'own' AD....

Thanks again Gents....
    Tell him to buy in the UK airport on the way out there surely the most cost effective way
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Seddiqi have ADs in town at the airport, decent AD and prices are the same between the two.
    I'll remember this one when I go in november

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I'll remember this one when I go in november
    Don’t get your hopes up of finding an Alladins cave of desirable models.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Tell him to buy in the UK airport on the way out there surely the most cost effective way
    Well no. As he is flying out the eu it’s vat free and so upon return needs to pay it. Now I’ve been told many times this is the case by people at Heathrow, some claim not so he should call ahead and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Well no. As he is flying out the eu it’s vat free and so upon return needs to pay it. Now I’ve been told many times this is the case by people at Heathrow, some claim not so he should call ahead and check.
    That’s not how I remember it, Heathrow prices are the equivalent of tax free but tax is paid. For this reason, you can buy at reduced rates whilst flying in UK or EU....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    That is correct Kash. It should be declared when re-entering the country. Out of interest when I was there, I asked the Rolex place in T2 whether they share details of purchases and they claimed not, but did confirm that it should be declared

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    That’s not how I remember it, Heathrow prices are the equivalent of tax free but tax is paid. For this reason, you can buy at reduced rates whilst flying in UK or EU....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is the case for all brands aside from Rolex. All others are discounted to the value of the VAT reduction. However, Rolex only sell VAT free when flying out of the EU, and therefore are discounting themselves at all

My concern would be, is your MD up to the job?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Don’t get your hopes up of finding an Alladins cave of desirable models.
    I would never jump the gun so far I know the drill and they are not the exception to the rule.

Craftsman
    YG Sky-Dweller should be easy to source from a UK based grey dealer for circa £28K

Journeyman

Buying a Rolex in Dubai... Please help!!

I was in Dubai airport earlier this year and the duty free (if indeed the term is truthfull) had a great selection of everything except submariners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk