closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Im pleased for the team but we didn’t create many clear chances during the match. Didn’t help that the opposition didn’t want to play the game in a fair and sporting manner though.

And as for their supporters...

Master
    Sweden will offer nothing but physicality next match so it should be a semi-berth unless you have a nightmare game.
    Gets serious if you get to last 4

Blog Entries
    Well done lads, it was not pretty but well done!!!!!!!!!

World Cup 2018 discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Im pleased for the team but we didn’t create many clear chances during the match. Didn’t help that the opposition didn’t want to play the game in a fair and sporting manner though.

And as for their supporters...
    What was wrong with their supporters?stadium would been 70% empty without them

Can't go through that again, blimey. I personally think they played well (most of the time) against a very physical, dirty playing team. Saturday will be a massive test against Sweden but hopefully they'll (Sweden) be playing in a "spirit of the game" way as opposed to the nonsense we've seen against from previous teams we've played.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Haha!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

He who laughs last my Caledonian friend.

Never in doubt ;)

Seriously though we should have held out for the win and if we had it would have been a professional but uninspiring performance.

We looked worringly all at sea in the 1st half of ET but showed spirit in the 2nd period and the pens.

We've got to play much better than that in the next round though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    True, but an opponent that killed the game from the beginning, difficult to get your game plan working.
    Yes it was not pretty but all i could see was a lot of long ball from England with about 3 shots at goal, if that. Just seemed gutless to me with an attitude of lets not loose instead of lets win. Its brilliant that were through and cant wait to get the barbie stoked saturday afternoon but they really need to go for it more if they really think they can win this tournament.

We need to remeber how young and inexperienced this squad is on the international stage. They’ll grow in confidence with each game but they really need to make the most of Kane more.

It it would have been a travesty if we’d have lost to an inferior, disgustingly behaved Colombian team.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well. You got there somehow lol
    You gotta be in it to win it.

Craftsman
    Bugger! We're going away on Saturday to Jersey. Arriving at 2.45 and being picked up by the hotel courtesy service. That’s going to be one quick dash to the hotel if the driver is a footie fan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Maguire MOM by a mile
    Agreed (I was hardly going to disagree!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    What was wrong with their supporters?stadium would been 70% empty without them
    Not very sporting IMO. Nothing wrong with them filling the stadium with fans and I do like the colour yellow :)

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am down to the English pub for extended time.
    That was well worth it.... 🥅
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Deserved England win but first half of extra time was squeaky bum time. Columbia were cheating scum.

Master
    No creativity in midfield to supply the front line and usual lack of end product from Sterling.

Defence played well though and HMG was man of match for me.

I'd like to see Rashford start instead of Alli and would play Loftus Cheek ahead of Sterling so his pace will be a bigger threat coming off the subs bench and running at tired defenders.

They must take some positives from tonight and enjoy the fact they get Sweden now, Brazil would have looked a very daunting prospect for our next game

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Is it a good time to mention that apparently Marks and Sarks run out of vests
    After that shootout, they might be wise to stock up on underpants

It’s all because I was wearing my vintage Vostok Amphibia. Can’t take it off until after the final now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A young team handled the weight of a country’s expectation then faced the historical burden of a penalty shootout whilst contending with a dirty,nasty,cynical opponent.

I would say they did very well.

Craftsman
    We won a penalty shootout! Still missing something in midfield Ali looked slow and not himself.

Craftsman
    Bringing Dier on for Alli and sitting back as we did for the last 10 minutes lead to their goal, and poor first half ET where we again sat so deep.

2nd half ET we got it right and we pushed up again and were more dangerous and reduced their chances.

Good penalties at the end. A much more scientific approach it seems.

Craftsman
    It felt like Kane played too deep for too much off the game too. Need to fix the shape a bit.

Journeyman
    We played terribly. No playing into space, no playmaking. Was awful football. But somehow...

Football’s coming home

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Bringing Dier on for Alli and sitting back as we did for the last 10 minutes lead to their goal, and poor first half ET where we again sat so deep.

2nd half ET we got it right and we pushed up again and were more dangerous and reduced their chances.

Good penalties at the end. A much more scientific approach it seems.
    Alli had to come off though, he was struggling and looked to be cramping up quite badly.

Craftsman
    4 games played. 2 against teams rated considerably lower than England. These were won. 1 game against a team rated slightly higher - that was lost. And 1 game against a team rated slightly lower - that was won (just). I remain hopeful but a realistic pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    4 games played. 2 against teams rated considerably lower than England. These were won. 1 game against a team rated slightly higher - that was lost. And 1 game against a team rated slightly lower - that was won (just). I remain hopeful but a realistic pessimist.
    You can’t really include the Belgian game, it was more of a practice for the B team than anything else. The ratings don’t tell you just how close the teams are though, just their relative positions.

At the end of the day though, we’re through to the next round against Sweden. Again, it’s a team we should beat.

Away for a few days in Italy and unfortunately had booked something before I knew which day we would play, started at exactly the same time as the game and lasted just over 1.5 hours .....
    My daughter had her phone and managed to find out was 0-0 at half time and then when we left she said we were 1-0 up 5 mins to go
    The Ladies went to the loo on the way out and when they came out it was 1-1.
    Rushed back to hotel, in the lobby tv was on 7 mins of extra time played, we looked poor,
    went to roof top bar which has bigger tv (and better drinks) for sh of extra time and we seemed to turn it round, but penalties....even my wife and daughter get excited with penalties, I hate them.
    Were maybe 15 people up there, mainly couples, and no idea what nationality until pickford’s save when a big shout of ‘yes’ went up and then an even bigger one went up when Dyer scored so basically all English
    couples.
    Nice family memory, ‘do you remember where we were when England actually won a World Cup
    penalty shout out’

Sounds like we weren’t great overall from what others have said but we are in the Quarter finals

Craftsman
    Bookies have us 4/1 thired favourits

Master
    Blog Entries
    Treatment of the Ref was shocking. I presume he has no balls or under strict orders by FIFA not to produce a red card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    It felt like Kane played too deep for too much off the game too. Need to fix the shape a bit.
    He did - he was coming back looking for the ball as he was getting no service from midfield. That's why I want to see carriers like Rashford and Loftus Cheek come in

Craftsman
    Still a long way to go but that was one hell of a mental test

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    At the end of the day though, we’re through to the next round against Sweden. Again, it’s a team we should beat.
    They beat France and Italy in the qualifiers. And Luxembourg!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never going to be pretty when playing a team that just want to wind you up and disrupt the play. Why refs are so gutless is beyond me surely they want to see fair play

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Alli had to come off though, he was struggling and looked to be cramping up quite badly.
    Yes, but Dier for Alli was wrong as it changed our shape too much. We sat too deep after that. Loftus Cheek would have been the smarter like for like choice.

This team is young and energetic and set up to be attacking. Trust and keep the shape. Maturity is not necessarily there for big changes so don't change shape imho.

I’m sure I saw a bit of a football match break out there among the barging, wrestling, shoving, play acting and protesting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Bookies have us 4/1 thired favourits
    Thats because they are in the easier half so will be favourites to reach the final not because they are considered the 3rd best team
    The 4 teams on the other half of the draw are the best 4 teams left with Croatia and England vying for 5th
    Thats still a pretty decent place to be though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Never going to be pretty when playing a team that just want to wind you up and disrupt the play. Why refs are so gutless is beyond me surely they want to see fair play
    Ref wasn’t that gutless tbh - he did give the penalty and he booked 6 Colombians.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Thats because they are in the easier half so will be favourites to reach the final not because they are considered the 3rd best team
    The 4 teams on the other half of the draw are the best 4 teams left with Croatia and England vying for 5th
    Thats still a pretty decent place to be though.
    Wow you've changed your tune from when we lost to Belgium and some of us were suggesting that was a good thing.....

Still don't buy it.
    England would be a stick on to reach quarters if they play Japan and they get a free shot at Brazil as nobody expects them to win= successful tourney
    Now its a tough game and then probably Switzerland who were good value for their draw against Brazil.

Bet the England players wished they'd had an extra 90 minutes against Belgium during that extra time! ;)

Anyway let's savour a England World Cup Penalty shootout win, it's been 28 years coming!
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 3rd July 2018 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

He who laughs last my Caledonian friend.
    His name is ABE, the racist troll with only bile and division to contribute.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Wow you've changed your tune from when we lost to Belgium and some of us were suggesting that was a good thing.....
    That gamble has paid off on the back of a penalty shoot out win.
    TBH I completely underestimated Japan who were actually very good-I thought they were cannon fodder.

TBH I completely underestimated Japan who were actually very good-I thought they were cannon fodder.
    Never a gamble, just obvious logic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    His name is ABE, the racist troll with only bile and division to contribute.
    Whilst not wanting to be defending Ally here ,there really isn't anything wrong with not wanting to see your biggest football rivals win.
    You wouldn't get Celtic/ Rangers,Liverpool/Man Utd or Spurs/Arsenal wishing each other well.
    England fans see Germany as their big rivals and were predictably delighted at seeing them get beat and also Argentina was similar.
    Rivalry is part and parcel of football and most sports so no need to be coy about it.

Craftsman
    Not really a gamble as it was b v b teams for the bel v eng game. Win and keep a good record. Lose and get an easier path.

So maybe Momentum was lost (would have liked another win myself). But it was treated more like a league cup game before a more important fixture...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Never a gamble, just obvious logic.
    It was a gamble because Colombia looked like a tougher game-whether it was or not is another debate.

Whilst not wanting to be defending Ally here ,there really isn't anything wrong with not wanting to see your biggest football rivals win.
    You wouldn't get Celtic/ Rangers,Liverpool/Man Utd or Spurs/Arsenal wishing each other well.
    England fans see Germany as their big rivals and were predictably delighted at seeing them get beat and also Argentina was similar.
    Rivalry is part and parcel of football and most sports so no need to be coy about it.
    I understand your point of view. The difference is Scotland and England are sister countries in one union, whereas England and Germany are two distinct countries. I suppose it depends on where one sees oneself on the Scottish -v- British spectrum. I used to be closer to the former than the latter but that was before a whole load of political events which really shouldn't be raised in the G&D.

Personally I find the Anyone But England mentality, narrow minded, parochial and chippy which is of course not a trait exclusive to those of us north of the border. Some of it is tongue in cheek, a lot of it isn't. The corollary is a sense of English entitlement about winning everything they're in, which has been far less prevalent this time around than in previous championships.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"

I just think that it would be good if the majority of Scots could support England when they're in a competition and vice versa.

It was a gamble because Colombia looked like a tougher game-whether it was or not is another debate.
    But what's the point of having a (theoretically) easier 2nd round game if it leads you straight to a very likely dead end in the Quarters?

Colombia was always a tough but winnable game as is Sweden and Croatia / Russia if we're fortunate enough to get through that.

Since 1966 these are these teams we've been defeated by (inc penalties) in World Cup knock out games:

Germany - 3 times
    Argentina - 2
    Brazil - 1
    Portugal - 1

These are the teams we've knocked out in the same period - including penalties:)

Paraguay 1
    Belgium 1
    Cameroon 1
    Denmark 1
    Ecuador 1
    Colombia 1

Trying to avoid the big teams by getting into the "easier" side of the draw was an absolute slam dunk no brainer

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I understand your point of view. The difference is Scotland and England are sister countries in one union, whereas England and Germany are two distinct countries. I suppose it depends on where one sees oneself on the Scottish -v- British spectrum. I used to be closer to the former than the latter but that was before a whole load of political events which really shouldn't be raised in the G&D.

Personally I find the Anyone But England mentality, narrow minded, parochial and chippy which is of course not a trait exclusive to those of us north of the border. Some of it is tongue in cheek, a lot of it isn't. The corollary is a sense of English entitlement about winning everything they're in, which has been far less prevalent this time around than in previous championships.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"

I just think that it would be good if the majority of Scots could support England when they're in a competition and vice versa.
    Great call. I support Scotland for many situations and games that they are playing in. I do get the auld enemy reminders though, which I guess is a factor stuck in some people's minds.