closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: British 1940s style watches

Master

British 1940s style watches

There are so many ww2 Luftwaffe style watches to be had (and I've had more than a few!!) But I fancy an affordable (up to £600 or so) hommage to the RAF watches of that period.

Anyone know of any nice ones please preferably 38-40mm)

British 1940s style watches

Laco or stowa do smaller ones. Good watches and history too

Should add that they aren’t all Luftwaffe homages. Think they do quite a range

I think that the nearest the RAF had to standard styles in WW2 were Weems type from Omega, Longines, Movado, Zenith and 6B/159 from Movado, Cyma, Omega, JLC, Longines. I can't say I've ever seen homages to these. Stowa Marine for a 6B/159? Although I doubt the intent was to homage an RAF watch.

The only WW2 RAF watch that I have is a small diameter American Bulova /|\ 6b/234.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 15th May 2018 at 12:03.

Are we talking this style? I have been on various threads suggesting / begging Eddie to do a homage for a few years now....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I think that the nearest the RAF had to standard styles in WW2 were Weems type from Omega, Longines, Movado, Zenith and 6B/159 from Movado, Cyma, Omega, JLC, Longines. I can't say I've ever seen homages to these. Stowa Marine for a 6B/159? Although I doubt the intent was to homage an RAF watch.

The only WW2 RAF watch that I have is a small diameter American Bulova /|\ 6b/234.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I see what you mean regards the marine watch.

Whilst likely to be a bit above your budget Longines have recently announced a homage to the RAF 6Bs that is the only direct modern interpretation I know of.
    As Billy Casper says the original lend lease watches should be 'relatively' easy to pick up at this price point.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Are we talking this style? I have been on various threads suggesting / begging Eddie to do a homage for a few years now....

I'm sure one of the last times that I post anything, seemingly becoming a rarer and rarer occasion these days, for some reason I'm not quite sure of, was to agree with you Oliver, that mock up is superb. It would make for a cracking watch using the 29A case

Apprentice
    The beautiful blue-tone hands are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    I'm sure one of the last times that I post anything, seemingly becoming a rarer and rarer occasion these days, for some reason I'm not quite sure of, was to agree with you Oliver, that mock up is superb. It would make for a cracking watch using the 29A case

I remember seeing that and, I agree, it looks tremendous. Should be relatively easy, needing only a dial and handset change? Easier said than done, I’m sure, but I do think further variations on the PRS-29 format would be great. I saw on the Timefactors Sub-Forum that the 39mm one is being discontinued, and the 36mm one (this time with a sapphire crystal) being brought back.

...and I'll always agree with you. The new Longines could have been it, but yet again they screwed it up. It's a mess (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Yep, this is mocked up in the 29A case... its a real winner. With Eddie's new update of the 29A it has got me wondering about changing my daily wear of the B over to that. So anything with those specs would be great. All you need is a new dial and hands, for a homage we've not seen before!

Master

That's gorgeous! I've recently seen a similar style Omega in the Burlington Arcade Vintage Omega Boutique, except with a black dial:

Last edited by HappyJack; 16th May 2018 at 00:38.

A couple of years ago Stowa sold a sterile Marine Automatic during their Christmas Advent calendar sale. It is not a catalog item, I've never seen another and it caused a bit of a stir on the WUS Stowa forum. If they ever make it available again I will consider buying one. It is reminiscent of the Omega issued to the RAF in WWII.

Stowa pulled the photo as soon as the watch was sold. The photo is a mock up of what the watch looked like; the photo below is a 1943 Omega.

not my watch or photo

Journeyman
    I think Longines has nailed it with their 6B/159 homage. No date window and it's simple uncluttered dial and correct looking crown look great. The only problem is you could get the real McCoy for the same money so why not get the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcusu View Post
    I think Longines has nailed it with their 6B/159 homage. No date window and it's simple uncluttered dial and correct looking crown look great. The only problem is you could get the real McCoy for the same money so why not get the original?
    Reliability perhaps. Some people will prefer a brand new watch rather than an original older piece. Replacement parts may be much easier on a new watch also if it needs work in the future.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Reliability perhaps. Some people will prefer a brand new watch rather than an original older piece. Replacement parts may be much easier on a new watch also if it needs work in the future.
    My vintage watches are pretty reliable Rusty but I wouldn't wear them when cycling, fishing etc. as I just don't want them damaged. I guess that's when the homage wins out as I wouldn't mind if it got a shock or a dunking.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My vintage watches are pretty reliable Rusty but I wouldn't wear them when cycling, fishing etc. as I just don't want them damaged. I guess that's when the homage wins out as I wouldn't mind if it got a shock or a dunking.
    Come on Mr.P... you know it makes sense!

Come on Mr.P... you know it makes sense!

It seems to make sense, but then you have to think of the outlay to make a minimum of 300. Then apply that to the other current watches Eddie has in stock, most, but not all, x300. That's an awful lot of outlay sitting in stock waiting to be sold.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It seems to make sense, but then you have to think of the outlay to make a minimum of 300. Then apply that to the other current watches Eddie has in stock, most, but not all, x300. That's an awful lot of outlay sitting in stock waiting to be sold.
    Of course the flip side is that without stock, you can’t sell.

I was not aware of this Longines reissue until I read this thread it is a nice looking watch, the only problem I have with it is the fake patina they have added to the dial which I think is a bit pointless (Laco did the same with one of their pilots watches) I would say the huge advantage getting the new Longines over a vintage one would be you would avoid all the service/repair issues you would almost certainly face.

The original is 32mm, rather tiny by today's standards.

I like the Longines re-issue but would prefer it without the "aged" dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    The original is 32mm, rather tiny by today's standards.

I like the Longines re-issue but would prefer it without the "aged" dial.
    I have a cuff style strap for my FAA Omega, it's surprising how much it seems to bulk it up. I got the idea watching "The Dambusters" as many of the aircrew actors had these cuff straps on their watches.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A seed may have been planted...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4766624