closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice sought - Who's responsible?

Advice sought - Who's responsible?

My Brother in Law bought a nearly new works van from a private non-franchised dealership. He's been having problems with the air-con system and the dealership he bought from have been pretty good and recharged the system twice, but the problem comes back after a week or so. The dealership are satisfied that this something that needs to be sorted out under warranty - no dispute there.

The problem is, they've told him to take it to a Vauxhall dealership to get it sorted. My BIL's view, as is mine, is that his contract is with the non-franchised dealership, not the Vauxhall dealership which is half an hour's drive away. He's a really busy guy and doesn't think it should be his problem to sort. I agree with him.

Anyone with any experience to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Craftsman
    My view in these cases is that yes, you should push the dealer you bought it from to sort it out. They are obligated to sort it under the trades description act or in extreme cases you could reject the car. In this case though they do seem to be playing ball and probably just need a little poke to handle things so it's not worth getting all hot under the collar about it really.

There's a wealth of information on this on the SPTL section of Pistonheads (Just have a browse around to see other's experiences in similar situations).

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=10

Michael.

Journeyman
    If you bought a watch from a private individual that had a manufacturing issue but was under manufacturers warranty would you expect the private seller to honour the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    If you bought a watch from a private individual that had a manufacturing issue but was under manufacturers warranty would you expect the private seller to honour the warranty?
    Fair point, but if I had bought it from a dealer, I might expect him to sort it out with the manufacturer, rather than me.

Stupid answer.

It's the selling dealer's responsibility, assuming there is nothing to state otherwise in the warranty terms. Even then, I think it's still the dealer's problem within 6 months of purchase.

A Private seller is a little different from a business, no?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    My BIL's view, as is mine, is that his contract is with the non-franchised dealership, not the Vauxhall dealership which is half an hour's drive away. He's a really busy guy and doesn't think it should be his problem to sort. I agree with him.
    I agree with you both!

Not sure if it's complicated by being a "business" transaction but the Martin Lewis site sets out very clearly what your consumer rights (and remedies) are:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...funds-exchange

Or vehicle specific:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/search/...hts+faulty+car

Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses chaps... I'll feed this back to my BIL and let him decide what to do, but it's great that he'll be armed with some good advice.

Gary