closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeweller wants to keep my warranty card for 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

As far as the ADs go, I don't get why they're bothered about what happens to their watches after they've been sold. Just like Rolex, they should be happy to see secondary prices through the roof, as it makes the products they're selling all the more desirable. Probably some ADs, or individual sales people, realise they're in a position of some power (as evidenced here) and are enjoying lording it over desperate buyers.
    Maybe they're bothered because other, loyal/regular customers might be pissed of knowing certain watches are being bought by speculators.

Having followed this post from the start. I do not like how the OP has been treated by the AD or some on here.
    But just remember that poor chap. Always wanted a watch his grail. He would have been devastated if he'd got less than expected. Poor bugger died shortly after. The good folk on here all contributed and raised money
    Very laudable, but God forbid what would happen if the OP karks it before the 6 months. What then?
    Yes it's if's it's but's. But then who has control over the watch. No proof where the card is.
    Playing devils advocate but I for one would not expect or accept anything less than a full set.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I hope it's not DMR who call me for a dblue

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Having followed this post from the start. I do not like how the OP has been treated by the AD or some on here.
    But just remember that poor chap. Always wanted a watch his grail. He would have been devastated if he'd got less than expected. Poor bugger died shortly after. The good folk on here all contributed and raised money
    Very laudable, but God forbid what would happen if the OP karks it before the 6 months. What then?
    Yes it's if's it's but's. But then who has control over the watch. No proof where the card is.
    Playing devils advocate but I for one would not expect or accept anything less than a full set.

The bit between Yorkshire and Mick seems very appropriate:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe they're bothered because other, loyal/regular customers might be pissed of knowing certain watches are being bought by speculators.
    If an AD is concerned then his loyal/regular customers will no doubt find themselves at the top of the waiting list. Some of them will probably be speculators too.

Craftsman
    it wouldn't worry me. I'd be straight down there to get my new watch. Count yourself lucky to have the opportunity so soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Chinos
    Barbour/Belstaff
    Grenson/Loake
    £8k watch on NATO
    Yep TZ'er...you're barred 

I suspect we're easy to spot!
    Wide waist, even fatter wrists, small feet (size 8)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Size 9 here and completely out of fashion bootcut jeans and a ramones t shirt. Does that count as TZ'er or shall I go and get some chinos and a lacoste polo shirt? Hahaaaa

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What a load of fuss over nothing.

I have bought new Rolex from an AD and if he insists on removing stickers and holding on to the warranty card for just 6 months, then so be it.

They are doing it to protect the brand and that benefits us all except profiteers and grey dealers. There is a high risk of a new stickered watch being sold abroad where prices are currently higher. So good on Rolex for doing something about it.

If you object to this arrangement, simply buy another brand. No one has a gun put to their head to buy, it is simply a commercial transaction and no big deal.
    No it doesn't benefit you as a customer quite contrary, a) because they refuse to give you what's yours b) it's the flippers who make the Rolex such a hot commodity make the market/prices. Also it's not Rolex's policy to withhold the warranty cards.

Also on what planet is it ok for them to stop you from selling an asset that they don't pay an interest on deposit to the watch owner for the time they block you from using the asset in any way you want?

Craftsman
    That's a shame!
    I hope this was your attempt at sarcasm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I don't even believe this. If it's true you're a mug IMO.
    Why?

Put it this way, at Basel next year they bring out the 'next' sought after watch, unlikely but let's say it's a new Pepsi GMT and everyone wants it. He's a far greater chance of getting on the list than anyone who has kicked up stink over any AD policy they didn't agree with. Not saying that's right or wrong but anyone in business would prefer to deal with an easier going client.

Like it or not some SS models are currently hard to get and it must be just as annoying for AD's having loads of calls from people all over the country wanting the impossible to get watch, as it is for us not being able to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Why?

Put it this way, at Basel next year they bring out the 'next' sought after watch, unlikely but let's say it's a new Pepsi GMT and everyone wants it. He's a far greater chance of getting on the list than anyone who has kicked up stink over any AD policy they didn't agree with. Not saying that's right or wrong but anyone in business would prefer to deal with an easier going client.

Like it or not some SS models are currently hard to get and it must be just as annoying for AD's having loads of calls from people all over the country wanting the impossible to get watch, as it is for us not being able to buy them.
    Don't you think it's completely wrong for customers paying thousands of pounds to have to "play ball" and abide by ridiculous AD policies in order to get their hands on a watch? Yes he is a complete mug... he paid for something, got what he was due and then the dealer had the audacity to ask him to come back to the store and surrender what was rightfully his for 6 months... which he dutifully did like a complete numpty. Idiot in my books and whether that puts him in a place where he'll get preferencial treatment next time (which I highly doubt anyway), it's not the point.

I've said it before... the real villains are Rolex themselves. It's an interesting business model that works at the moment but the next gen won't stand for it. The youth of today has no interest whatsoever with mechanical watches as it stands and p!ss poor customer service just won't cut it i'm afraid. Swatch are doing the right thing but you can kiss the big boys goodbye unless they up their game and look after the people like the OP who actually fund them in the first place.

Why?

Agree 100%

Craftsman
    Why?

Oh the poor AD's won't somebody think of the poor AD's please!

PS They are in business of selling watches, not pimping them out FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post

If they're in the business of selling watches then they shouldn't treat their customers like c@nts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    Don't you think it's completely wrong for customers paying thousands of pounds to have to "play ball" and abide by ridiculous AD policies in order to get their hands on a watch? Yes he is a complete mug... he paid for something, got what he was due and then the dealer had the audacity to ask him to come back to the store and surrender what was rightfully his for 6 months... which he dutifully did like a complete numpty. Idiot in my books and whether that puts him in a place where he'll get preferencial treatment next time (which I highly doubt anyway), it's not the point.

I've said it before... the real villains are Rolex themselves. It's an interesting business model that works at the moment but the next gen won't stand for it. The youth of today has no interest whatsoever with mechanical watches as it stands and p!ss poor customer service just won't cut it i'm afraid. Swatch are doing the right thing but you can kiss the big boys goodbye unless they up their game and look after the people like the OP who actually fund them in the first place.

He's not a mug or an idiot and insults like that are pointless. In fact his post was well composed and made a lot of sense. Clearly you want be wearing any hard to get models in the future but you'll carry the. Oral high ground

- - - Updated - - -

But when they hardly have any to sell they can take their pick of customer.

Master
    If they're in the business of selling watches then they shouldn't treat their customers like c@nts.

Very classy!

Why?

I'd never give them the business anyway. I don't want to be taken for a mug so I'd prefer to go somewhere that treats me like I've just handed over £8.5k, not somewhere that treats me like a thieving schoolboy who can't be trusted.

And isn't people calling them from all over the country to buy their products exactly what they want, or am I missing the raison d'être of an AD?

This thread should have a 'foot stomping pussy hat idiots' alert:-)

Maybe Rolex are trying a 'Stella Artois' marketing trick here, but instead of 'reassuringly expensive' it's 'reassuringly expensive and obnoxious'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even believe this. If it's true you're a mug IMO.
    What bit don't you believe? They explained the fact that they wanted to retain the warranty card when I placed a deposit. I agreed. If I didn't like it I would have gone elsewhere. I didn't care then and don't care now. I am more than happy to keep to an agreement with an AD that has been great to me in the past, also with Alex who has gone out of his way to help me in the past and provided services and goods gratis previously, despite me expecting to pay for them. I am a happy customer and I believe in loyalty. It's a two way thing.

I don't feel like a mug. I have the watch that I wanted, and received pretty quickly. I have a good relationship with people that have always treated me well. I paid RRP when the watch is going for silly money. I need extra links that they are sorting out without payment (despite Rolex trying to charge people for them which is another issue that has set people off on here previously). I have always managed to get every watch I have always wanted without too much hassle, waiting lists, or paying over the odds. I am lucky enough to be able to afford what are really in effect overpriced trinkets that none of us really need (my usual daily watch if not in a suit is a G-Shock). I have my health, a beautiful partner, and my new rescue Border Collie has just started to do roll overs on command so long as I tickle his belly afterwards.... As someone else once said, where has it all gone wrong?

To call someone that you don't know and know nothing about a mug is a little bit silly. Give your head a wobble and calm down. Either that or get someone to tickle your belly, I understand it helps to stop giddy behaviour.

Have a good weekend.

Chris

He's not a mug or an idiot and insults like that are pointless. In fact his post was well composed and made a lot of sense. Clearly you want be wearing any hard to get models in the future but you'll carry the. Oral high ground

- - - Updated - - -

But when they hardly have any to sell they can take their pick of customer.
    No I certainly won't be wearing any hard to get models at the expense of my self respect. "Hi I want to buy a 8.5K watch" "yeah sure just leave your dignity by the door and we'll sell you it but we won't give you the whole product" "oops we gave you the whole product, do you mind coming back and giving part of it back for 6 months?" "Yeah ok but I smell a bit of dog poo". Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    What bit don't you believe? They explained the fact that they wanted to retain the warranty card when I placed a deposit. I agreed. If I didn't like it I would have gone elsewhere. I didn't care then and don't care now. I am more than happy to keep to an agreement with an AD that has been great to me in the past, also with Alex who has gone out of his way to help me in the past and provided services and goods gratis previously, despite me expecting to pay for them. I am a happy customer and I believe in loyalty. It's a two way thing.

I don't feel like a mug. I have the watch that I wanted, and received pretty quickly. I have a good relationship with people that have always treated me well. I paid RRP when the watch is going for silly money. I need extra links that they are sorting out without payment (despite Rolex trying to charge people for them which is another issue that has set people off on here previously). I have always managed to get every watch I have always wanted without too much hassle, waiting lists, or paying over the odds. I am lucky enough to be able to afford what are really in effect overpriced trinkets that none of us really need (my usual daily watch if not in a suit is a G-Shock). I have my health, a beautiful partner, and my new rescue Border Collie has just started to do roll overs on command so long as I tickle his belly afterwards.... As someone else once said, where has it all gone wrong?

To call someone that you don't know and know nothing about a mug is a little bit silly. Give your head a wobble and calm down. Either that or get someone to tickle your belly, I understand it helps to stop giddy behaviour.

Have a good weekend.

Chris
    Well said, you have the watch you want and the warranty papers will be provided in due course, I personally do not see any issue with the dealer holding the warranty card unless someone intends to flip for a profit.

Very classy!
    I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    … my new rescue Border Collie has just started to do roll overs on command so long as I tickle his belly afterwards.... As someone else once said, where has it all gone wrong?

Have a good weekend.

Chris
    Made me laugh, and maybe mug was a bit harsh

Have a good weekend, too

No I certainly won't be wearing any hard to get models at the expense of my self respect. "Hi I want to buy a 8.5K watch" "yeah sure just leave your dignity by the door and we'll sell you it but we won't give you the whole product" "oops we gave you the whole product, do you mind coming back and giving part of it back for 6 months?" "Yeah ok but I smell a bit of dog poo". Gimme a break.

It's a warrant card, what does self respect have to do with anything. It's not like you can wear the warranty, you have the watch and surely that is all that matters.

One assumes if the watch required work under warranty then the AD would arrange sending the watch off. I for one would be more than happy getting an in demand model I wanted on the condition the AD retained the card.

I'm guessing your the opposite... size 6 dress, baby wrists and size 12 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It's a warrant card, what does self respect have to do with anything. It's not like you can wear the warranty, you have the watch and surely that is all that matters.

One assumes if the watch required work under warranty then the AD would arrange sending the watch off. I for one would be more than happy getting an in demand model I wanted on the condition the AD retained the card.
    God I'm bored with this now. Self respect comes into play when you are being treated appallingly by a retailer who has just taken a massive amount of money off you and you play ball like an imbecile just for (let's face it) a trinket. In all other walks of life, you would not accept being treated this way so why should you put up with it for a watch? Ok it's a lovely thing and I can appreciate lusting after it so much but not at the expense of being treated so badly. It's not even the card itself that I find offensive. It's the idea that they don't trust you not to sell it, the disregard to the idea that it is YOUR property and you can do with it as you wish and the fact that the AD treated the OP as a suspected criminal whilst he was parting with vast sums of money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This thread should have a 'foot stomping pussy hat idiots' alert:-)
    Pussy hat indicates female.

Girls don't cry this much about shopping.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Best observation yet, in this sorry thread...

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Some of the objectors are like little girls.

Sorry,I take it back. Disrespectful to girls:-)

God I'm bored with this now. Self respect comes into play when you are being treated appallingly by a retailer who has just taken a massive amount of money off you and you play ball like an imbecile just for (let's face it) a trinket. In all other walks of life, you would not accept being treated this way so why should you put up with it for a watch? Ok it's a lovely thing and I can appreciate lusting after it so much but not at the expense of being treated so badly. It's not even the card itself that I find offensive. It's the idea that they don't trust you not to sell it, the disregard to the idea that it is YOUR property and you can do with it as you wish and the fact that the AD treated the OP as a suspected criminal whilst he was parting with vast sums of money.

Many people do sell them, so they're right to be distrustful.

If buyers aren't happy with these conditions they can walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Many people do sell them, so they're right to be distrustful.

If buyers aren't happy with these conditions they can walk away.
    Actually I shouldn't have put that sentence in there. Sorry just fed up with the whole thing now and it isn't even my effing problem. Yes the buyer can walk away but if you read the whole thread, Wayne wasn't made aware of the conditions of sale prior to his deposit bejng taken and also as I've stated about a million times in this thread... it is of no effing concern of the dealer what the consumer does or doesn't do with his property once it has been sold to him.

Just for you Rajen https://youtu.be/y8yvnqHmFds

Wow, someone is having a bad day, or maybe has anger issues....... my self respect is absolutely fine fella. I do work with a number of very good therapists if you do need a referral. You seem to be getting pretty hetup about something and nothing in my mind. Prey tell Professorfail, how have I offended you so much that you are having such a personal pop at me on a forum? Oh, sugar! You aren't one of those people that I work with weekly in the 'special group' are you?

Chris

Good grief - will you listen to yourself?

Don't know what to say to that 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Maybe it's me but I still can't understand why people are so accepting of being told what they can and can't do with their property, and by a high street chain store at that. Bizarre. Personally I wouldn't entertain those sort of conditions, but then I feel no need to have the latest shiny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Maybe it's me but I still can't understand why people are so accepting of being told what they can and can't do with their property, and by a high street chain store at that. Bizarre. Personally I wouldn't entertain those sort of conditions, but then I feel no need to have the latest shiny thing.
    And that's the correct choice, given how you feel about it. I suspect the world will keep turning

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    And that's the correct choice, given how you feel about it. I suspect the world will keep turning
    Indeed it will Tony, and I'll certainly lose no sleep over it. There's more important things in life 😊👍🏻

Have a good weekend, too
    No problem. Life is too short......

Anyway, mug is the lesser of the insults coming through at the minute. Apparently, I am a numpty, imbecile and have no self respect according to one genius that I have never met or ever actually interacted with, but would really love to he is probably too busy pulling his pud whilst looking at pictures of pigs or something. I am guessing that his frustration is due to him not quite getting there after putting all that pent up energy into his primary pastime. I have a feeling that if I said 'squeal little piggy, to the mad professor it may tip him over the edge.

Take it easy Onelasttime.....

Chris

Master
    No it doesn't benefit you as a customer quite contrary, a) because they refuse to give you what's yours b) it's the flippers who make the Rolex such a hot commodity make the market/prices. Also it's not Rolex's policy to withhold the warranty cards.

Also on what planet is it ok for them to stop you from selling an asset that they don't pay an interest on deposit to the watch owner for the time they block you from using the asset in any way you want?
    Read up on brand protection, then it will make sense.

Also remember that you can buy in the UK and sell abroad at a profit.

Moaning about flippers is fine but from an AD's perspective, anyone of us could be a flipper.

You cannot blame any company or its retailers to take action to protect their brand and sticker removal or holding on to a warranty card for six months is perfectly acceptable as long as it is made clear in advance. Again if you don't like it, buy another brand.

Master
    Read up on brand protection, then it will make sense.

Also remember that you can buy in the UK and sell abroad at a profit.

Moaning about flippers is fine but from an AD's perspective, anyone of us could be a flipper.

You cannot blame any company or its retailers to take action to protect their brand and sticker removal or holding on to a warranty card for six months is perfectly acceptable as long as it is made clear in advance. Again if you don't like it, buy another brand.
    Can you please explain how it is protecting the brand.
    Remember this is NOT at the request of Rolex, it is the AD's themselves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Can you please explain how it is protecting the brand.
    Remember this is NOT at the request of Rolex, it is the AD's themselves.
    For crying out loud, it has been explained several times in this thread by a few people and it is easy enough to do a google.

Rolex are quite happy for the ADs to do this and if there is one thing that Rolex and the ADs can be criticised for, is the inconsistency that takes place between dealers and different countries.

Pre Brexit, we all bought our Rolex abroad but since the Pound has weakened, the UK is a cheap place to buy and that is why it is happening here today whereas pre brexit, it was unheard of. Rolex and the ADs are reacting to this and you cannot blame them.

He is actually a good guy to have on the forum. That's from experience.

Master
    For crying out loud, it has been explained several times in this thread by a few people and it is easy enough to do a google.

Rolex are quite happy for the ADs to do this and if there is one thing that Rolex and the ADs can be criticised for, is the inconsistency that takes place between dealers and different countries.

Pre Brexit, we all bought our Rolex abroad but since the Pound has weakened, the UK is a cheap place to buy and that is why it is happening here today whereas pre brexit, it was unheard of. Rolex and the ADs are reacting to this and you cannot blame them.
    Right, and how is this harming the brand exactly?
    Rolex makes watch
    Rolex supplies watch to AD
    AD sells watch at full RRP

so again, please explain just what it is these AD's are protecting.

I was wondering who will be first to mention Brezeet
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Anyone tried to contact Rolex switzerland about this issue with destickering, withholding warranty cards, tags, boxes, sales receipts? Maybe in future they will ask you to pay extra 8.5k (will be refunded after 1 year if you don't sell YOUR watch ) just to make sure you wont sell YOUR watch.Pathetic!!!
    and what if AD lost your warranty card ? will they be able to get a new one from Rolex swiss ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Don't know what to say to that 
    Oh you would love it, don't you? ;)

Big nose got it spot on

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    And I thought luxury watches were meant to make you feel special. Silly me.
    If I wanted ritual humiliation I'd pay for it down the whorehouse.
    Last edited by VDG; 8th July 2017 at 00:19.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Fair play to admitting it was a bit harsh.

Chris is a stand up guy in my book,I bought a MM300 off him last year and even though were far apart in miles he answered all my requests for proof of ID and condition of watch, we even had a good chat on the phone about life/family etc which is always interesting and part of the buying/selling watches.

The term buy the seller really is true when dealing with someone so far away that you have to have a level of trust to complete a deal and Chris is one of those people, soon the 12 months will be up and he is going to send me the warranty card for the MM300 so I look forward to that..

After chatting with Chris over the MM deal I really can see him taking the warranty card back and not really giving a damn about its importance which is a breath of fresh air to all the hackled feathers in this thread (including myself), most of the bravado and opinions are from people like myself that cannot even afford such a watch or would not be welcome on a list with no previous purchase history..