closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Carrera Heuer-01...without the skeleton dial

Journeyman

New Carrera Heuer-01...without the skeleton dial

I'm not a huge fan of Skeleton dial watches...ok, the new Carrera Heuer-01 is more conservative/ less special that the larger 45mm Heuer-01, but it's the one that I would go for

http://www.calibre11.com/first-look-...heuer-01-43mm/

*apologies- can't seem to resize the photo*

Banned
    I can't see any good reason to "go for" either one...

Craftsman
    The anthracite dial version is lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this, I really like the Skeleton dial model but I know Skeleton watches are not everyone cup of tea. The non Skeleton model looks entirely different, I wonder why they change details not related to the dial such as the bezel, pushers, crown?

Love the Calibre 11 blog, it is one of the best (if not THE best) resources for Heuer / Tag Heuer - the pictures of this model actually look better on the link.

Journeyman
    Looks amazing to me, exhibition back with red column wheel what do you think about the price (£ 4,000) is it worth it?
    P.S. I've seen someone saying that it's not their movement, I think Seikos correct? Any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by cikoleko; 14th August 2016 at 11:38.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cikoleko View Post
    P.S. I've seen someone saying that it's not their movement, I think Seikos correct? Any thoughts on that?
    Yes, if you want a Seiko, buy one.

Looks amazing to me, exhibition back with red column wheel what do you think about the price (£ 4,000) is it worth it?
    It's well known that Tag Heuer bought a licence to manufacture a movement originally designed by Seiko.

They have modified it an manufacture it "in house" and therefore (rightly IMO) regard it as an "in house" movement.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It's well known that Tag Heuer bought a licence to manufacture a movement originally designed by Seiko.

They have modified it an manufacture it "in house" and therefore (rightly IMO) regard it as an "in house" movement.
    But they used to use Zeniths movements as well, just wondering why they chose Seiko, they are better, cheaper and as good as European or they simply couldn't get a license from Zenith/someone else? Just wondering whey they chose the Japanese movement when there's tons of movement manufacturers in Europe...

They still use the zenith el Primero in their calibre36 models and ETA/Selita movements in other automatic models.
    The 1887 movement is just one other option.

Master
    Assuming it comes in about £3k on iconic, it's a better size and layout at a not unreasonable price. Not a slam dunk but certainly interesting, especially the sunburst dial

For me it's still too big at 43mm and they are very thick.

I love the grey dial though too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They still use the zenith el Primero in their calibre36 models and ETA/Selita movements in other automatic models.
    The 1887 movement is just one other option.
    Sadly, I don't think we'll see the El Primero used again..it will be Heuer-01 and CH80 chronograph movements (inhouse) plus Sellita SW500, and then Sellita and ETA for the 3-hand movements

*edit*
    Here is what Biver had to say on the El Primero

C11: While we’re talking about watches and the future, what about the Calibre 36 (Zenith’s El Primero)? I got the sense when I last spoke to you that that was unlikely to be used in many models going forward.

JCB: El Primero has no room at TAG Heuer. I don’t want the El Primero. It’s a legendary movement but it belongs to Zenith and I don’t want any confusion. In my opinion, when we have such a great CH80, when we have an 1887 that works perfectly well, why should we need another?
    Last edited by Calibre001; 15th August 2016 at 00:00.

Journeyman
    But they used to use Zeniths movements as well, just wondering why they chose Seiko, they are better, cheaper and as good as European or they simply couldn't get a license from Zenith/someone else? Just wondering whey they chose the Japanese movement when there's tons of movement manufacturers in Europe...
    Back in 2009 there were't many choices. ETA had been clear that it would cut supply as soon as it legally could, and Sellita was still abit of an unknown. Zenith couldn't supply the volume of movements needed for TAG Heuer, and they're at the wrong price point. I guess they could have purchased rights to produce the El Primero, but that would have undermined the premiumness of that movement...so doubt that Zenith would have agreed.

TAG Heuer probably are the largest/ second largest producer of automatic chronograph movements outside of Swatch Group- so they had to make something themselves, as no-one else could supply the volume. There are plenty of Swiss automatic movements..but there weren't as many 7 years ago.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibre001 View Post
    it will be Heuer-01 and CH80 chronograph movements (inhouse)
    Heuer 01 is rebranded 1887 (Seiko) correct? But what about CH-80, is it fully in house by Heuer? From what I understand they haven't released any watches with that movement yet?

Journeyman
    Heuer 01 is rebranded 1887 (Seiko) correct? But what about CH-80, is it fully in house by Heuer? From what I understand they haven't released any watches with that movement yet?
    Yes, Heuer-01 is Calibre 1887, which is based on Seiko designed, but redesigned and made in Switzerland. It's more than a re-brand...but it's based on Seiko.

CH80 is 100% new and inhouse. They've released two watches based on this movement. First was the Carrera Calibre 1969 (the original Calibre name before it changed to CH80) and then the new Heuer-02 tourbillon movement is based on the CH80. Expect to see it in next year's Autavia.

I think there's a lot of WIS bias against Tag, especially in the UK. As the other poster states, the 1887 may be a Seiko design, but it has been re-engineered and then made by Tag, for details see Hodinkee here https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...mm-chronograph . Basically to a non-WIS, that's in-house. Compare it to say it's nearest WIS favourite equivalent in the "big brands", an IWC Portuguese Chronograph. This one has a bog-standard 7750 in it - something a non-WIS wouldn't know from the website - and would at retail easily cost *twice* as much. But for what?

Cheers

David

JCB: El Primero has no room at TAG Heuer. I don’t want the El Primero. It’s a legendary movement but it belongs to Zenith and I don’t want any confusion. In my opinion, when we have such a great CH80, when we have an 1887 that works perfectly well, why should we need another?
    Talk about damning it with faint praise!

Back to the OP, strangely I prefer the skeleton. I guess that if you're going to make a watch that "busy" you might as well go the whole hog. That said, 45mm is too big for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    I think there's a lot of WIS bias against Tag, especially in the UK. As the other poster states, the 1887 may be a Seiko design, but it has been re-engineered and then made by Tag, for details see Hodinkee here https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...mm-chronograph . Basically to a non-WIS, that's in-house. Compare it to say it's nearest WIS favourite equivalent in the "big brands", an IWC Portuguese Chronograph. This one has a bog-standard 7750 in it - something a non-WIS wouldn't know from the website - and would at retail easily cost *twice* as much. But for what?

Cheers

David
    Agreed. Even as a big Omega fan, it's at least as 'in-house' (and probably more) than the 3300 series of movements, which are extremely heavily modified 7750s with the Si14 parts, co-axial escapement, added column wheel and longer power reserve. And priced rather similarly to say a seamaster chrono, especially given a discount of 25% can be had on a Tag, compared to the 20%ish on an Omega via Iconic.

Tried on the skeleton dial version, it was too large for me..the lugs were just too straight and long till they were over hanging.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post

Cheers

David
    Thank you. That's a big problem for people like me who have very little knowledge, because as much I like a watch or movement I have to do a lot of research which is very hard to do as even manufacturers themselves do not provide a lot of information about their watches/movements. As you pointed out why would I pay two times more for a watch that has identical movement as my current watch that costs two times less. In my opinion if you want to buy a second watch it has to be completely different because it's like buying a new car that has same engine as your current one, even if it's good you just want something that is different. I'm really interested in finding out about something else because now 80% of watches I browse use 7750... Are there any fully in-house calibers but do not cost over 3-4 grand? Maybe there's a website that has a list of all in-house European movements?
    Last edited by cikoleko; 15th August 2016 at 16:34.