closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: McAfee Security Centre- should I renew?

Craftsman

McAfee Security Centre- should I renew?

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me?

I currently have McAfee Security Centre which expires in 2 days.

There seems to be other McAfee options out there that are cheaper of are the better alternatives? Currently protect 1pc and laptop. We have Smart phones and tablets which aren't protected currently.

Need firewall antivirus and general protection.

Any thoughts or help appreciated as this isn't really my area.

Best,
    LC

I wouldn't bother, if on Windows stick with the free MS services.

I've always understood Nod32 from ESET to the lightest, fastest and most reliable.

Craftsman
    I have it and it's ok but I'd be surprised if there aren't better option. Even if you decide to renew don't let it happen automatically - you will get "robbed". There is a setting which you can change to prevent auto-renew - I did it last time and saved about 50%. I can't remember exactly how I did it so can help you any more than that I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I've always understood Nod32 from ESET to the lightest, fastest and most reliable.
    Yes eset in conjunction with malwarebytes gives best combo I find both well worth purchasing , used this for over 10 years. All machines I repair and setup end up with same combo usually. Both run In background without issue, at end of the day you want to protect your information and this combo really does work.

As flying banana says very light on resources and not too intrusive with memory hoggin etc unlike Norton and mcafee etc,

Kaspersky is another good option but I always seems stick with eset and malwarebytes

if you really want cheaper option then avast and malwarebytes would save you a few quid
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 6th October 2015 at 13:14. Reason: Spelling !

If you're using Windows for the PC and laptop you'll already have a Microsoft Firewall. You can also add MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) also known as Defender for free. It's much less intrusive, uses less processor and is just as effective for AV protection.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    If you're using Windows for the PC and laptop you'll already have a Microsoft Firewall. You can also add MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) also known as Defender for free. It's much less intrusive, uses less processor and is just as effective for AV protection.
    Ms recently came out and even said they don't recommend MSE anymore if really want free then avast does a better job

I regularly get machines in with free AV that are infected with huge amounts of malware and viruses
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 6th October 2015 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster77 View Post
    Ms recently came out and even said they don't recommend MSE anymore if really want free then avast does a better job

I regularly get machines in with free AV that are infected with huge amounts of malware and viruses
    Do you have a link to this, I'd be interested to read it? I've used it for nearly three years now so if it was missing stuff surely I would have noticed by now?
    I think when it comes to AV it's as much to do with common sense as to which product you use. Keep it and Windows up to date, do regular scans and don't visit/download from sites that will put you at risk.
    Are your customers all doing this, using MSE and still getting infected? If that's the case perhaps I need to reconsider.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 6th October 2015 at 12:46.

fair few reports on tech sites and lot of the tech forums

couple of snippets

Holly Stewart, senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, told Dennis Technology Labs that the company only pursues a “baseline strategy.” In other words, MSE isn’t designed to be good, and is instead developed to head off only the most prevalent attacks. She also said that “the natural progression is that we will always be on the bottom of these [antivirus] tests.” This is allegedly because Microsoft actively shares what it knows about security threats with third-party partners.

The problem is that Security Essentials can’t offer real peace of mind. While the latest update has managed to improve threat detection, in our tests Mirosoft Security Essentials was still compromised by 32% of threats. Its ability to allow legitimate software to work uninhibited did boost its overall accuracy score, but this is still a worrying result for Microsoft's built-in security tool. We wouldn't trust our PCs and our data to Security Essentials - and frankly, neither should you.

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/micro...ity-essentials

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/

[QUOTE=bonzo697;3658015]Do you have a link to this, I'd be interested to read it? I've used it for nearly three years now so if it was missing stuff surely I would have noticed by now?
    I think when it comes to AV it's as much to do with common sense as to which product you use. Keep it and Windows up to date, do regular scans and don't visit/download from sites that will put you at risk.
    Are your customers all doing this, using MSE and still getting infected? If that's the case perhaps I need to reconsider.[/QUOT

Yes Bonzo697,in the last month i have recently cleaned infected pcs with mse, mcafee and norton and the results are quite shocking will post last pic off my phone when get a second to upload.

according to all those users they only browse the web not p2p downloaders etc.

TBH malware is the biggest threat over viruses IMO, streaming sites carry a huge amount of this now

You are of course correct about being careful, trusted sites etc etc but the problem is not everyone in the same household is as careful especially when children or less knowledgable are concerned or when sharing or using devices from other machines where they aren't as careful as you may be
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 6th October 2015 at 13:04.

Craftsman
    Don't renew OP.. there are lots of perfectly adequate free solutions out there;

http://uk.pcmag.com/security-reviews...virus-for-2015

That gives you sample of some of the most popular ones, obviously don't just go off
    a single source.

I'm using 360 Total Security at present and have no complaints.

Perhaps worth pointing out that if you use Barclays online banking they will provide a free licence for some Kaspersky products including their anti virus - http://www.help.barclays.co.uk/resul...charset_=UTF-8

Craftsman
    Thanks all - some interesting reading - I'll go and research tonight .

Really appreciate your help!

LC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Perhaps worth pointing out that if you use Barclays online banking they will provide a free licence for some Kaspersky products including their anti virus - http://www.help.barclays.co.uk/resul...charset_=UTF-8
    That was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. Have been using the Kaspersky Internet Security suite offered by Barclays for some two years now, and never had a problem. Worth noting though, that if you're not careful yourself when using your computer, no security software will ever be good enough

fair few reports on tech sites and lot of the tech forums

couple of snippets

Holly Stewart, senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, told Dennis Technology Labs that the company only pursues a “baseline strategy.” In other words, MSE isn’t designed to be good, and is instead developed to head off only the most prevalent attacks. She also said that “the natural progression is that we will always be on the bottom of these [antivirus] tests.” This is allegedly because Microsoft actively shares what it knows about security threats with third-party partners.

The problem is that Security Essentials can’t offer real peace of mind. While the latest update has managed to improve threat detection, in our tests Mirosoft Security Essentials was still compromised by 32% of threats. Its ability to allow legitimate software to work uninhibited did boost its overall accuracy score, but this is still a worrying result for Microsoft's built-in security tool. We wouldn't trust our PCs and our data to Security Essentials - and frankly, neither should you.

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/micro...ity-essentials

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/
    Interesting. From reading the links it's suggesting that professionals shouldn't recommend MSE to end-users, but anyone who is savvy should still be OK. I've worked for a major security provider so I've got a good idea of what I should/shouldn't do, and as I mentioned earlier if my PC was infected I'm sure there would be some indication of it by now.

[QUOTE=Seamaster77;3658031]
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Do you have a link to this, I'd be interested to read it? I've used it for nearly three years now so if it was missing stuff surely I would have noticed by now?
    Are your customers all doing this, using MSE and still getting infected? If that's the case perhaps I need to reconsider.[/QUOT

Yes Bonzo697,in the last month i have recently cleaned infected pcs with mse, mcafee and norton and the results are quite shocking will post last pic off my phone when get a second to upload.

according to all those users they only browse the web not p2p downloaders etc.

TBH malware is the biggest threat over viruses IMO, streaming sites carry a huge amount of this now

You are of course correct about being careful, trusted sites etc etc but the problem is not everyone in the same household is as careful especially when children or less knowledgable are concerned or when sharing or using devices from other machines where they aren't as careful as you may be
    I agree not all members of the same household will be as dilligant, and I'm guessing your customers must have had some indication of infection when they came to you. Which AV do you find does the best job including paid subscription?
    Last edited by bonzo697; 6th October 2015 at 13:21.

I'd get rid of it; it's a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

You know a product is crap when even its creator wants nothing to do with it:

(Slightly NSFW)

[QUOTE=bonzo697;3658046]
    I agree not all members of the same household will be as dilligant, and I'm guessing your customers must have had some indication of infection when they came to you. Which AV do you find does the best job including paid subscription?
    Tbh they all came in with slow running PCs or being kicked off internet etc

The photo above the customer had a rather nasty keylogger and remote access Trojan his PayPal account had been recently compromised so could be that he clicked a dodgy email non of his AV picked these up !

Personally I use a twin pronged defence Eset smart security (nod32) and malwarebytes for £40-50 a year for me it's more than worth it considering the data I keep on various machines and I always recommend at least malwarebytes and a good free AV for those that don't want to spend that much

As I mentioned earlier and others have kaspersky is also very good a light weight and offered free by some banks

MacAfee comes free with BT internet or superfast broadband or whatever they are calling it nowadays. It's labelled as BT net protect but it's the same thing.

It is resource hungry but the protection is not bad. (if you have a fast pc with lots of memory it's no problem)

(Some of the mags rate Kaspersky but it can be hard to unload once you have it. I've had to result to third party uninstall software to get rid of it as the MS uninstaller won't touch it. It's almost like ransomware in that once you buy and install you are forced to keep using it as it's almost impossible to get rid of.)

All "free" on the web AV's are cut down versions of the paid for product. Some are troublesome in that the installers install crap you don't really want.

I run Malware Bytes (free) as periodic check for stuff MacAfee might have missed.

Bottom line is it depends what you browse but I'd defo use a malware cleaner alongside whatever AV you choose.