closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In today's Sunday Times Jeremy Clarkson says that Rolex have become naff....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Half that, they are all 'pre-loved' classics!

The fact is they are small, slim and just don't catch the light like a ceramic bezelled watch. They are discrete (apart from the gold DD, but then its a long-time love/grail thing) and without even the classic Sub or GMT's bezels, just aren't recognised as Rolex. Chap at work noticed the DateJust, but he had one on himself!
    Funny you say that as a friend's daydate is the sparkliest watch he owns. The 'rippled' bezel is surely designed to reflect light from any angle?

I think there's some truth in what Clarkson said. Years ago, Rolls Royce cars had the perfect image until people like Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson, Jimmy Savile and others started owning them. I do believe that the type of people who buy luxury goods can have a negative effect on the brand image.

Here's what Clarkson said.

I like a nice watch. I look with great attention at all the 200-page features about them in GQ magazine and I have been known to pause for several moments to look in a jeweller’s window. But I wouldn’t actually buy one, because what’s the point? My current Omega Seamaster is still going strong and I don’t doubt for a moment that the only thing that will stop it will be the incinerator into which they put me when I’m dead.

I’m going on a bit here so I’ll come to the point. When did Rolexes become naff? There must have been a time when they were elegant and beautiful and worn by people with taste and discretion. But then one day they became the timepiece of choice for people called Steve. And now I think it’s fair to say the only thing in the world that’s worse than a fake Rolex is a real one.

I don’t doubt for a moment that they are well engineered and designed to survive a nuclear holocaust but you only ever see them sticking out from the cuff of a suit that’s a bit too shiny, wrapped round the tattooed wrist of an arm that’s a bit too thick.
    Eddie

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Hardly rocket science stuff, his pondering.

This goes for a lot of stuff/brands and has to do do with new money replacing the old money and thus the people/tastes that go with it.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    And regarding Clarkson, he is a clown and anyone who takes him and his utterances seriously is also a clown.
    If you believe that, then you probably think that Tommy Cooper was a crap comedian and Les Dawson couldn't play the piano!

Clarkson is a very bright and witty guy. Just go back and read the columns that he used to write for Performance Car, and then reflect on the fact that he has single-handedly made Top Gear the world's most watched factual television programme.

If anything has killed Rolex's image, for me it's the number of (convincing) fakes about. When I see a "Rolex" on somebody's wrist, my first thought is whether it's real or not. I own a few Rolexes, but find that I am wearing them less and less often.

With regard to what he wrote, his problem seems to be with people called 'Steve' who either wear a suit that’s a bit too shiny, or have a tattooed wrist on an arm that’s a bit too thick.

It's the wearers, not the watch, that are the problem for him...

Grand Master
    With regard to what he wrote, his problem seems to be with people called 'Steve' who either wear a suit that’s a bit too shiny, or have a tattooed wrist on an arm that’s a bit too thick.
    It's funny how people's perceptions are coloured by what they see. The two biggest ass holes I've met in business wore Rolex and IWC; but whilst the purple, flip-flopped bouncers licking the windows of the Omega boutique in the mall I used to use might look a bit iffy, they could well be perfectly nice people.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Well i found the article amusing and would concur with his view. And i own a Rolex. And a Range Rover. But i don't own a shiny suit or have tattoos.

It's a good thing i don't take it all seriously and can laugh at myself and can form my own opinion and not be led by someone elses. :D
    Last edited by steptoe; 22nd June 2015 at 11:59.

You've just got to stop the undesirables from wearing them. Maybe one day they will recover, like Burberry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I can see where Jezzer is coming from, the original Range Rover had the ethos of of the Explorer I, now it's been blinged up like a DSSD
    I think there's something in that - I must admit that these days when I see a black blinged out Range Rover I think it must be driven by a drug dealer...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    You've just got to stop the undesirables from wearing them. Maybe one day they will recover, like Burberry.
    That's a whole new parlour game - define 'undesirables' without outraging several forum members who find they fit your definition!!!

You've just got to stop the undesirables from wearing them.
    Mind you, whoever they are, they probably help keep the price down from near stratospheric levels!

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    He last played in the Premier league 12 years ago and Grealish doesn't count yet he's only just got a proper contract, am sure he
    will move on to bigger and blingier soon

What I found odd about the article is that he said he hates anyone who deliberately wears an interesting watch (or words to that effect). Same bloke who lambasts people for driving a boring (uninteresting) car. Still, if you've got a column to fill...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Seamaster wearer though. Renders the argument invalid.

None of them are Premiership players you can tell as cant see any gold there(unless its white gold and that doesn't count). Although rumours Benzema might be next year then he will have to bling up a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post

Apprentice

Jeremys Taste

Jeremy Clarksons fashion sense is far from the best! He helped Levis sales among under 30s plummet considerably!

Quote Originally Posted by bruteawful View Post
    Funny you say that as a friend's daydate is the sparkliest watch he owns. The 'rippled' bezel is surely designed to reflect light from any angle?
    Mine doesn't have the fluted white gold bezel. Just steel on steel.

I suppose you will associate it with whoever best fits your own predujice of the brand. Roger Federer does not seem a bad brand ambassador though.

Craftsman
    Bruce Sprinsteen has been seen wearing a Rolex and I think he is cool. But Bruce has also been wearing a Bell & Ross which I think is not so cool.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    [COLOR=#000080]If you believe that, then you probably think that Tommy Cooper was a crap comedian and Les Dawson couldn't play the piano!

Clarkson is a very bright and witty guy. Just go back and read the columns that he used to write for Performance Car, and then reflect on the fact that he has single-handedly made Top Gear the world's most watched factual television programme.
    Please don't take it the wrong way. There are good clowns and there are bad ones. Clarkson played the role very well and I have nothing but admiration for what he has achieved. That does not mean I take him seriously though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Bruce has also been wearing a Bell & Ross which I think is not so cool.
    Not cool? That goes far beyond not cool. That is just way too wrong for words...

Bruce Sprinsteen has been seen wearing a Rolex and I think he is cool. But Bruce has also been wearing a Bell & Ross which I think is not so cool.
    Who is Bruce Sprinsteen??
    Any relation of Springsteen?
    Regardless of who he is , it is cool that he wears a B & R.

Clarkson started off as a motoring journalist on about 20k a year and ended up earning about £13m last year-
    you have to admire his achievements.......even if you don't admire his dress sense and style guru advice regarding watches.

Loads of 'cool' celebrities still wear Rolex- .....and previously there was the king of cool Steve McQueen- and Paul Newman.........
    Same with Omega, Daniel Craig-er because he gets paid to.....
    I was sitting outside a cafe in Notting Hill last year when Adam Ant happened to sit at the next table- he was wearing a very nice limited edition Omega Moon watch-
    don't know exactly which model because they've made about 200 different limited editions-

I don't think you can say a certain watch or watch brand is naff- it all depends how you wear it.....

A yellow gold Day Date 2 looks naff on Joey Essex- but looks cool as hell hipster on Brad Pitt....

A lot of people look naff cruising around in a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow- but Kate Moss doesn't look naff in hers...

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Not cool? That goes far beyond not cool. That is just way too wrong for words...
    Ha ha - There's a wonderful irony that we're discussing what's cool and what's not in a topic related to Jeremy Clarkson...

M

Grand Master
    No, you do make that point every time ;).

What does it do to your opinion of a person when he wears a watch-u-like, and then a watch-u-hate?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Who is Bruce Sprinsteen??
    Any relation of Springsteen?
    Regardless of who he is , it is cool that he wears a B & R.
    I am not sure. A heck of a lot of celebreties seem to wear B&Rs (and Hublots). Looks like they have an aggressive give them away policy is all rather than a cool factor.

Blog Entries
    Who's that young man in the red shirt???, and is he saying "I'm not gay you know"

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Who's that young man in the red shirt???, and is he saying "I'm not gay you know"

Daddel.
    Dunno but if you pick up a Daytona and those jeans from SC then you could look like him

Blog Entries
    Dunno but if you pick up a Daytona and those jeans from SC then you could look like him

But, something isn't right in that picture, a young man wearing a Daytona should also have the money to buy a decent pair of jeans, shouldn't he? Those should go to Oxfam!!
    Or is his Daytona ending up on SC, with the tekst: "New jeans needed, so something has to go"?

Daddel.

Master
    Watches, cars, hifi, TVs, holidays, houses, stuff etc etc etc etc.

I don't think it matters what one chooses to like or purchase/own. (and there can be many influences on the choices we make).

The only people who get upset about articles like the Clarkson one referenced, are people who care what others think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    What does it do to your opinion of a person when he wears a watch-u-like, and then a watch-u-hate?
    I often wonder that with some of the comments. Many people own more than one watch; yesterday's Rolex seems to make me a naff, thick armed, tattooed shiny suit wearer and today's Glashutte no doubt makes me some 'in-the-know WIS, a hero, a man of wit and discretion.

They are just watches.

Master
    Become?

If I was him would stop spending money on flashy watches and get a new pair of jeans, those ones look a bit tatty

Daddel beat me to it

If I was him would stop spending money on flashy watches and get a new pair of jeans, those ones look a bit tatty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

But, something isn't right in that picture, a young man wearing a Daytona should also have the money to buy a decent pair of jeans, shouldn't he? Those should go to Oxfam!!
    Don't worry - I'm sure they cost an absolute fortune, despite looking like charity shop rejects. Its just that we are obviously so uncool in that we are obviously failing to appreciate the precise attributes of current footballer fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Don't worry - I'm sure they cost an absolute fortune, despite looking like charity shop rejects. Its just that we are obviously so uncool in that we are obviously failing to appreciate the precise attributes of current footballer fashion.
    It's funny as I do have pairs of jeans like those ...I saw/heard a couple of items about men dressing in your 40's properly ...and it was basically the standard fashion consultant advice of no t shirts with graphics/slogans or ripped jeans and so on...the usual fashion advice of plain shirts and jackets in autumnal shades or other such terms....

Well stick that... It's the 21st century and while I definitely don't dress like a teen but neither do I dress as a stereotype grandfather either...if.I want to pair up an Omega or Rolex with a suit I can but can also wear with a hoody and distressed jeans and the like... I also have plainer smarter stuff depending on occasion and company...

Who cares what people think these days...JC is doing his usual diatribe to get a reaction and it obviously still works for him..

Grt with the programme grandad. The highly entertaining thread in SC will tell you all you need to know.

None of them are Premiership players you can tell as cant see any gold there(unless its white gold and that doesn't count). Although rumours Benzema might be next year then he will have to bling up a bit more.
    If you think La Liga or players from the rest of the elite leagues in the world are less inclined to be "blingy" than Premier League players then you are mistaken. Any number of Premier League players wear Rolex. Darren Bent and Steven Gerrard being examples of those who had theirs stolen...

If you think La Liga or players from the rest of the elite leagues in the world are less inclined to be "blingy" than Premier League players then you are mistaken. Any number of Premier League players wear Rolex. Darren Bent and Steven Gerrard being examples of those who had theirs stolen...
    Neither of them are Premier League players either, one plays in the Championship and one plays soccer in America......

Red face On the whole, I find myself agreeing with Clarkson...

...regarding the demise of Rolex's brand image. It's stupid I know, but that's why I've sold all my Rolexes now and won't buy another. They're great watches for sure though.

I don't know why being an aspirational brand (and a status symbol for some) makes Rolex naff in my eyes, but it just does.

Maybe it's insecurity on my part? As if MY brand image will be tarnished by what others think about Rolex wearers? I think I need help... :)

Neither of them are Premier League players either, one plays in the Championship and one plays soccer in America......
    Not when they had their Rolexes stolen.

Grand Master
    I often wonder that with some of the comments. Many people own more than one watch; yesterday's Rolex seems to make me a naff, thick armed, tattooed shiny suit wearer and today's Glashutte no doubt makes me some 'in-the-know WIS, a hero, a man of wit and discretion.
    ...and when prone to telling everyone else off for wearing a crap blingy watch, as witless and unlikeable as any Rolex-wearing gorilla, I contend.

Not when they had their Rolexes stolen.
    Maybe that's why they left the Premiership, no longer qualified and couldnt afford to buy another one

Now this is a proper footballers' watch (although sadly once again not a Premiership player)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I don't know why being an aspirational brand (and a status symbol for some) makes Rolex naff in my eyes, but it just does.

Maybe it's insecurity on my part? As if MY brand image will be tarnished by what others think about Rolex wearers? I think I need help... :)
    I can understand your feeling to an extent (not that I can afford any of these aspirational brands!). We've likened Rolex to Rolls Royce cars & Range Rovers in this thread. To my mind, in all three cases their image has gone from something that was about fundamental quality and function (at high prices of course) to something rather more ostentatious - they've become products partially or mostly bought for display of how successful the buyer is, rather than for the quality of the products themselves. Before Rolex fans kill me, I'm not saying the product is of any less quality than before! Its the image that has changed, and has to an extent overtaken the product. Whether the respective manufacturers set out to achieve this on purpose, or benefited from a more blingy culture I don't know. But I'm sure they don't really object as it has allowed them to jack up the prices outrageously and sell to people for whom the more expensive the product is the better!

So, to return to the worries about Rolex being seen as an aspirational brand - I can see that. Its kind of an Old Money vs nouveau-riche thing. To an extent Rolex are now being associated with people you might not want to be associated with!

You boys really need to stop grouping Rolex with Rolls Royce together when it's plain to all that it's Rolex and Bentley that go together.

Rolls Royce has yet to be quite as degraded by the noveau riche as the rest.

... although they are trying...

Last edited by gray; 23rd June 2015 at 16:35.
    Gray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I completely agree with Clarkson.
    There is also a level of snobbery and arrogance found in Rolex wearers that is not found in other wearers of equal or more expensive brands.
    Same can be said for nearly all mid to high end brands.
    Maybe Rolex should increase their prices more to make them more satisfyingly expensive, or reassuringly expensive to all those who require such assurance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    You boys really need to stop grouping Rolex with Rolls Royce together when it's plain to all that it's Rolex and Bentley that go together.

Rolls Royce has yet to be quite as degraded by the noveau riche as the rest.

... although they are trying...
    Sorry, differentiating between Rolls & Bentley is way too difficult for me! That Rolls really is gross....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    Same can be said for nearly all mid to high end brands.
    Maybe Rolex should increase their prices more to make them more satisfyingly expensive, or reassuringly expensive to all those who require such assurance.
    It works. I feel much better about myself when I buy my evening six pack of Stella Artois, knowing it to be reassuringly expensive...

He is just old. Brand is rock solid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    all marketing nonsense, JC is paid by all to mention their products. I work in the motor trade and have vast knowledge of cars he has been paid to review favorably and knocked those he didn't get 'free' products from ie BMW in the 2000's
    Totally agree.