closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: F1 official time keeping

Banned
    Blog Entries

F1 official time keeping

I wonder what equipment is cúrrently used for F1 time keeping.

Anyone with information?

http://www.tagheuer-timing.com/en/ci...ssional-timing

some info on the workings of the Tag Heuer system here

I read on a f1 fora that the actual units are made by AMB, but no verification was offered.

My HUNCH would be that the existant homologated system is simply payed for by the timing partner. But I can't offer any proof of that and it's simply my opinion.

Jack Heuer's biography talks in some detail about how Heuer (the company) developed the system for Ferrari, but iirc was sold off in a time (sic) of crisis.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    The Daytona was designed to be the ultimate timing tool for endurance racing drivers thanks to its precision, its reliability and the outstanding legibility of its functions. Time intervals can be measured to within 1/8th of a second with the centre chronograph seconds hand, while the two counters on the dial at 9 and 3 o’clock display elapsed time in hours and minutes respectively. Drivers can therefore accurately map out their race times and determine how they must drive to win the race.

yes, I get that Hamilton uses one and that Mercedes is paid by Richemont to have an IWC printed on his racing glove, but my curiosity is about the official time keeping equipment.

Thanks adzman.

Journeyman
    It's a Dutch company called MYLAPS. They talk a lot on their website about which series they work with.....but they are not allowed to actively promote their role in F1. I spoke to them a few months back for this article.

http://timeandtidewatches.com/timing-formula-1

dc
    Last edited by Calibre001; 7th October 2014 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibre001 View Post
    It's a Dutch company called MYLAPS. They talk a lot on their website about which series they work with.....but they are not allowed to actively promote their role in F1. I spoke to them a few months back for this article.

dc
    What a good and interesting article, thanks for sharing. Seems that the f1 forum post I found wasn't so wrong with AMB!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    What a good and interesting article, thanks for sharing. Seems that the f1 forum post I found wasn't so wrong with AMB!
    Thanks! I think I read the same forum post as you but couldn't see any real clarity...so I just called them up! They were very friendly and proud of what they do- they just can't go out and shout about it from the rooftops..

dc

dc
    Well done on finding that.

A smart move on Rolex’s part to become the Official Timing Partner of F1, rather than a sponsor of a team: removes the risk factor of backing the wrong one. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Well done on finding that.

A smart move on Rolex’s part to become the Official Timing Partner of F1, rather than a sponsor of a team: removes the risk factor of backing the wrong one. ;-)

R
    Yes, they áre the masters of marketing indeed.

Thank you calibre01; that is a clear answer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes, they áre the masters of marketing indeed.

Thank you calibre01; that is a clear answer.
    And great at creating fabulous watches. So I guess worthy of admiration.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    And great at creating fabulous watches.
    As in fabled [img]http://forum.tz-uk.com/images/icons/icon12.png[img]
    with the fables being marketed with admirable mastery.

Yes, you will get what you pay for. Even exposure during F1.

Anyway, my question has been answered; Rolex buys the right and the actual timing is subcontracted. Véry clever indeed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As in fabled [img]http://forum.tz-uk.com/images/icons/icon12.png[img]
    with the fables being marketed with admirable mastery.

Yes, you will get what you pay for. Even exposure during F1.

Anyway, my question has been answered; Rolex buys the right and the actual timing is subcontracted. Véry clever indeed.
    .Fabledfamous, especially by reputation.
    "a fabled art collection"
    synonyms: celebrated, renowned, famed, famous, well known, (rightly) prized, much publicized, noted, notable, distinguished, acclaimed, illustrious,pre-eminent, prominent, Great, esteemed, prestigious, well thought of, of note, of consequence, of repute, of high standing

Good enough

I wonder Cilla. Before you asked the question. (I assume the question was genuine) Did you imagine the Rolex directors stood next to the Chequered Flag with their fingers poised on a Daytona Chrono pusher?

To be fair though, it's not really a clever Rolex marketing trick, it would appear that everyone who's been the timing partner of F1 has effectively just written a cheque

I realise that Heuer originally developed the tech, but that was for Ferrari's test track, not F1

Blog Entries
    And again proof that, If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I wonder Cilla. Before you asked the question. (I assume the question was genuine) Did you imagine the Rolex directors stood next to the Chequered Flag with their fingers poised on a Daytona Chrono pusher?
    The days of the wheels crossing a hose accross the track, with the pressure bump actuating a mechanical timer have long gone.

I know that the time keeping is totally electronic and that the ludicrous Daytona blurp is just that, but Heuer and later Longines actually owned the system so? and that thought train was started by the ´Rolex´ electric slave clock above the pits.

As it turns out, the article neatly underlines that the link between watch brands and F1 is the ´heritage´ thing only.

Still fun to use mechanical instruments for my retro cycling hobby exploits:

This place is getting more and more predictable - yet still manages to remain just as funny...

This is the right concept to the system used in F1 with transponders and induction loops, but its quite a bit more advanced than the above link nowadays. For a start there is nearer to 30 timing loops at each event as opposed to the 5 or so mentioned there, each car also has 2 transponders. Also, jump start and pit speed systems are incorporated in the system.

HTH

Still fun to use mechanical instruments for my retro cycling hobby exploits:
    If all systems do fail (highly unlikely!), there is actually a very simple backup in operation! ;)

Master

dc
    That's slightly odd as to the best of my recollection in the early nineties Bernie brought the timing in-house to FOCA & contracted MST to provide the timing personnel & systems, although I don't know if they used MYLAPS components.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    That's slightly odd as to the best of my recollection in the early nineties Bernie brought the timing in-house to FOCA & contracted MST to provide the timing personnel & systems, although I don't know if they used MYLAPS components.
    I suspect there is a division between who supplies the equipment and who sets up and manages the equipment once its installed...Bernie will take his clip somewhere along the line.

I note that MST says this on their website:

"we manufacture our own timing hardware and firmware which we integrate with that of other leading manufacturers to produce high grade equipment"

I suspect there is a division between who supplies the equipment and who sets up and manages the equipment once its installed...Bernie will take his clip somewhere along the line.
    Correct, MYLAPS only supply the core timing equipment (transponders and decoders), its then installed and managed by FOM and timings published to teams, broadcasters and the FIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
    Correct, MYLAPS only supply the core timing equipment (transponders and decoders), its then installed and managed by FOM and timings published to teams, broadcasters and the FIA.
    So bottom line is that F1 timing has been operationally run this way for some time, and all Rolex, Hublot, Tag, et el before them have done is open a cheque book?

So it's not a Rolex driven conspiracy to make you think they supply the timing tech for F1, merely a marketing/business opportunity available for anyone with deep enough pockets & a product that might like to be associated with quality timing? (And probably Bernie's blessing)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So bottom line is that F1 timing has been operationally run this way for some time, and all Rolex, Hublot, Tag, et el before them have done is open a cheque book?

Yes.
    Rolex only do it better, which is hardly a point against them is it.

Yes.
    Rolex only do it better, which is hardly a point against them is it.
    They do, but in this instance (timing) they appear to do it the same as everyone else. I can't imagine all that RRRRRR branding you see round the F1 circuits comes from merely being the timing partner.

Rolex have zero to do with the timing of F1 apart from getting their name over everything and paying Bernie a rather large sum for the privilege.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can't imagine all that RRRRRR branding you see round the F1 circuits comes from merely being the timing partner.
    That is them making more of it; doing it bétter. No, not the timing as none did, but the brand marketing of being the timing sponsor.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
    Rolex have zero to do with the timing of F1 apart from getting their name over everything and paying Bernie a rather large sum for the privilege.
    Their RRRRRRRR all over the ciruits is them going the éxtra mile through contracts with the venues.

Contracts aren't made through the venues, they are made with Bernie. Bernie holds all commercial rights to all Formula One World Championship events. It is a huge commitment by Rolex, much larger than Tag before it.

That is them making more of it; doing it bétter. No, not the timing as none did, but the brand marketing of being the timing sponsor.
    THE RIGHT FORMULA FOR TWO LEADERS

Rolex and Formula 1®

In early 2013, Rolex became a Global Partner and Official Timepiece of Formula 1®. Like Rolex, Formula 1® is present the world over, with 19 races organized in 19 countries across five continents…In each of these two worlds, high technology and performance combine with the highest level of know-how to constantly challenge the limits of the possible.

http://www.rolex.com/world-of-rolex/...formula-1.html

Rolex has 2 deals it would appear. The timing one and the global partner one. (I added the bold and underline)

Presumably available to anyone with the available coin and Bernies phone number, and not a case of Rolex being allowed to colour everything green because they're Rolex.

I'll fix the formatting from the copy/paste when i get to the laptop, at least its not in green ;)

Some info on why hublot left, basically because they thought that they'd enjoy greater exposure by the association with Ferrari, especially when The big red F next wins the title

http://www.watch-insider.com/news/in...ip-formula-1/#

Can't find any meaningful data on the Rolex deal, FT says $35m pa for 10 years, others say £15m and don't quote a contract duration.

Personally, and only personally speaking I think that Hublot have taken a gamble on the success of one team and the marketing worth of that success, vs the association with the F1 series and the marketing worth of that association.

But I neither work in marketing nor own a watch company, so imho only!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Can't find any meaningful data on the Rolex deal, FT says $35m pa for 10 years, others say £15m and don't quote a contract duration.
    The middle is the most mentioned and then only for the óne deal. Not the track painting deals.

Double or triple those figures does not mean anything really as spread over a bit less than a million watches, it is easily covered by a 1% uplift paid happily by the buyers as it gives wáy more image gain.
    Although it has nothing to do with the hardware, either on the tracks or on the wrist, it is money well spent for both Rolex and the customers.