closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone replacement Samsung?

Journeyman

iPhone replacement Samsung?

Thinking of ditching my iPhone 5 which has become unstable and no longer recognises wifi or Bluetooth

The design has become a bit stale and the battery life is awful

I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy 4 and maybe the HTC One, anyone switched or any suggestions?

Thomas Reid
    Although I'm sticking with my Asus Fonepad, if I had enough money, and were in the market, I would be tempted by the CyanogenMod version of the Oppo N1. :)

http://en.oppo.com/products/n1/

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    I switched from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I found the Samsung a far better phone for me in every way.

I have an HTC One and much prefer it to the iPhone. Very fast, amazing screen and good battery life

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Although I'm sticking with my Asus Fonepad, if I had enough money, and were in the market, I would be tempted by the CyanogenMod version of the Oppo N1. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks, very interesting

Never heard of them previously

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I have an HTC One and much prefer it to the iPhone. Very fast, amazing screen and good battery life
    Was looking at them today, seemed like a quality bit of kit

Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    Was looking at them today, seemed like a quality bit of kit
    Although I use them only rarely I have to say the speakers are insanely good.

Funnily enough I've had a Samsung S4 for the last eight months and can't wait until the start of next month when I can get an iPhone 5S upgrade. I've had iPhones for years, since the very first one, and can't get on with the Samsung.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I have a HTC One Mini and find it's network strength I afar behind the wife's 4S most of the time in the local I get zero to two bars, sounds idea but in reality it's a real pita

I've currently got the S4, and have had the HTC (and iPhones ,3gs,4 and 4s) have to say birth the Samsung and HTC age blindingly good phones. At the moment I prefer the S4, with CyanogenMod kit kat ROM on it. It just works so well. Another couple of months could see the S5 out though, which means there may be some good deals to be had on the S4 from now onwards.

Most of the newer android stuff just makes the Apple offerings seem very dated.

Love the iphone probably because I've always had one and have more variants of apples product offerings than I'd care to admit. But my primary reason is laziness, I really cannot be bothered moving, movies music and data onto another format. I'd much rather just get the apple upgrade, plug it in and then go

Originally Posted by rfrazier

Best wishes,
    Bob

It looks pretty stylish but crosses the line for me in terms of size at 17cm.

There is a Samsung program that copys all over except apps. Sammy s4 is the daddy got my misses in sales section :)

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It is smaller than my current phone. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    That Oppo N1 looks good, but that rear case scrolling feature would be pointless if you put a cover on it, which most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    that rear case scrolling feature would be pointless if you put a cover on it, which most people do.
    Are you sure? I don't know anyone who uses one.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    There is a Samsung program that copys all over except apps. Sammy s4 is the daddy got my misses in sales section :)
    Cheers for the heads up. May consider a samsung at next upgrade, or buy it for the wife as an experiment and see how she gets on! ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I switched from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I found the Samsung a far better phone for me in every way.
    I did the same and haven't looked back. The Note is a bit strange as a phone (looks kinda weird when used to the ear) but great as a multi media device.

Not going back to Apple in any hurry (typed on my iPad gen 1 which will probably swap for a decent Android tab)

Journeyman
    Google Nexus 4 Great phone at a great price

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Are you sure? I don't know anyone who uses one.
    I don't know anyone who doesn't. It's just that little bit of extra protection in the event of the phone being dropped, and I've dropped my countless times.

I ditched iPhone for Sony Xperia Z1 last September.
    Awesome phone and amazing camera.
    Battery life knocks iPhone into a cocked hat... :)

Craftsman
    Check out the new Sony z1 compact, only launched this week. Had a look at one today, superb phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I have to agree - it's a LOT smaller than my Xperia Z Ultra, otherwise I'd jump on it.

Is there ANY phone out there with a decent sized screen which can be rooted without voiding the warranty? Rooting the Xperia on the latest Android version involved Unlocking the Bootloader which voids Sony's warranty (it's the same with HTC and the One Max), and rooting the Note 3 sets the Knox counter (which is probably an efuse and can't be reset) and voids Samsung's warranty :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I don't know anyone who doesn't. It's just that little bit of extra protection in the event of the phone being dropped, and I've dropped my countless times.
    You do now. I've dropped mine a lot as well.

It always reminds me of people wrapping their sofa in plastic.

I find most too thin without a case of some sort.

I'd echo the Z1 compact though I should have a Moto X dropping through the letterbox in a couple of days.

I'm pretty sure you can now root the note 3 without tripping Knox. Search xda for root de la vega
    Last edited by acg; 2nd February 2014 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I have to agree - it's a LOT smaller than my Xperia Z Ultra, otherwise I'd jump on it.

Is there ANY phone out there with a decent sized screen which can be rooted without voiding the warranty? Rooting the Xperia on the latest Android version involved Unlocking the Bootloader which voids Sony's warranty (it's the same with HTC and the One Max), and rooting the Note 3 sets the Knox counter (which is probably an efuse and can't be reset) and voids Samsung's warranty :-(
    Are you in the EU (or UK) ? Rooting doesn't void the warranty. Hardware faults are still covered. EU law.

It's only in the land of the free that they can't control their own phone without losing the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I find most too thin without a case of some sort.

I'd echo the Z1 compact though I should have a Moto X dropping through the letterbox in a couple of days.

I'm pretty sure you can now root the note 3 without tripping Knox. Search xda for root de la vega
    Be very interested to hear what you think of the Moto X

Master

Rant Warning!

Why Oh Why you can't get a phone that is good for making & receiving calls. Decent battery life.
    In the noughties it was which is the smallest phone. NOw the smallest phone is 15 X 8 cm
    When you read phone reviews they talk about the screen size & resolution, speakers,
    Aluminium case, camera quality web access & browsing. Nobody talks about battery life or quality of calls. Rant Over!
    This time when my contract came up for renewal, to the dealers shock & horror, I decided not to upgrade.
    This time I opted for a SIM only contract with a different provider & continue to use my old Blackberry GBP 11/month.
    So much better than trying to get used to a new phone moving contacts so on & so forth!
    I have a Oppo (1030) universal player & was surprised to find out they make mobile phones as well!
    As far as my player is concerned quality is top notch. I've had it for more than a year no problems at all.
    May have to join the modern world will def give oppo phones a look. Any UK dealers?

I think you're best buying direct from oppo. They're EU based I think.

Looking forward to the Moto. Discounted it due to the price but its dropped to £300 already.

The z1 compact has already turned my head though
    Last edited by acg; 2nd February 2014 at 11:02.

Recently moved from iPhone personal phone to S4 with work. I hate the S4 with a passion. It functions ok, but feels cheap in comparison to apple offerings. The whole google thing feels very intrusive. Every time you load an app, it requests access to everything on your phone (location, contacts, etc.). If I could go back to Apple I would. I'm really not a fanboy, but I think I'm heading that way ;). YMMV.

Apple already have access to your entire life so Google is being polite in asking permission.

Master
    Blog Entries
    72bpm - making phone calls is seen as low priority these days, sadly.

Glamdring - Apple expected you to read the T&C, I suspect.

Iphone 5 to Google Nexus 5 (via HTC One & Samsung S4).

Iphone user since the 3 but just had enough. Liked the HTC didn't like the Samsung, but absolutely love the Nexus. Bargain as well

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    Google Nexus 4 Great phone at a great price
    I've a Galaxy S3 running the SuperNexus 4.4.2 KitKat ROM which effectively turns it into a Nexus 5 phone... blindingly fast!

Rod

PS A tip for others using a custom KitKat ROM... to speed up the phone a little go to:-

SYSTEM SETTINGS
    DEVELOPER OPTIONS
    WINDOWS ANIMATION SCALE (change to .5x)
    TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE " " "
    ANIMATOR DURATION SCALE " " "

If you can't see 'developer options', go to ABOUT PHONE and tap on BUILD NUMBER 7 times and then you'll see the developer options.

Rod

I've just got an iphone 5 - have to say its easier to use than the Samsung, but thats probably just me being a creature of habit.

Master
    I moved from an iPhone to a Galaxy Note 3.

A superb bit of kit and I suspect I only use about a quarter of its functions!

I had concerns before I changed that it may be a little cumbersome but that has not been the case.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Iphone 5 to Google Nexus 5 (via HTC One & Samsung S4).

Iphone user since the 3 but just had enough. Liked the HTC didn't like the Samsung, but absolutely love the Nexus. Bargain as well
    Just read a review of this in Mobile Choice, thanks for the recommendation

Will go and find one to have a look at

Journeyman
    Nexus 5, makes most other phone owners a bit green, especially if you buy direct from google and put a cheap sim in (I use three). Very cost effective.

My iPhone 4 has been dropped repeatedly over the last three years and seems to be fine , however my girlfriends Samsung S3 broke last year after meeting the floor and her S4 did the same last week , they don't appear to be very strong .......

Craftsman
    I love apple products but find my s4 to small and even the 5 is not much bigger .unless they come out with something a lot bigger , I will ditch mine in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by James Burton View Post
    My iPhone 4 has been dropped repeatedly over the last three years and seems to be fine , however my girlfriends Samsung S3 broke last year after meeting the floor and her S4 did the same last week , they don't appear to be very strong .......
    Of course, being silly for the sake of it, if you drop a Challenger II tank from proportionately the same distance it's going to break too. Change your GF to a more careful one.

Quote Originally Posted by James Burton View Post
    My 710 has now broken 2 Galaxy S3s. Dropped my Motorola and Sony phones plenty of times without the same outcome.

I have an Xperia M dual sim at the moment which is ticking a lot of boxes. Lowish spec in terms of processor but does everything I need it to.

Craftsman
    Nexus 5 no question. Currently on a Nexus 4 after a Galaxy S2 which came after an iPhone 3GS. I have tried all the new iPhones and whilst they get a lot right I think the Nexus phones trump them in so many areas of functionality, are on a par as a physical unit, and destroy them on price.

Journeyman
    thanks to everyone for great responses

I've ordered a Nexus 5

Good choice.

The moto x turned up today and I like it.

Seems just as quick as the nexus 5 I had and feels even better in the hand.

I reckon we'll get on fine (as long as I can forget about the Sony z1 compact)

I'm constantly tempted by the Nexus 5 (I have a Nexus 7 tablet and love it) but the lack of expandable memory and relatively poor camera puts me off.
    Last edited by Tony; 6th February 2014 at 10:47.

Currently have a galaxy S2, never had an iPhone - only have an iPod because of the 160gb capacity!
    Much prefer android and also having a Nexus7 the pure android is nice and smooth.
    Tempted to get either an Samsung S3 or Nexus5 next.

Everybody I know who has switch from iPhone to Samsung have switched back.

Edit: Ignore me, found them now

Can the nexus 4/5 only be bought outright direct from google sim free? i.e can you not get it on contract from o2 or carphone warehouse etc?

Cheers

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 6th February 2014 at 13:57.

Master

Nexus 4

Is it possible to buy a SIM free Nexus 4?
    If so where.