closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WG Daytona - completely blown away!

WG Daytona - completely blown away!

The Daytona is a watch that I've tried before, both times the modern variant in stainless steel and with a black dial. I was sadly underwhelmed on each occasion, though, and there were a few reasons why. Firstly, the silver on black dial layout was a bit bland to my eye; in certain light it was difficult to read, and the subdials tended to get "lost" such that nothing stood out particularly vividly. Secondly, they wear surprisingly small on the wrist; you'd think the opposite would be the case but they're pretty slim/flat and seem to have a look and feel that suggests a size less than their 40mm. Finally, I couldn't help feeling that the Zenith Daytona was the one to go for (well, if one ignores the earlier Valjoux 72 for obvious reasons). I know that the 4130 movement is a masterpiece in its own right, and that the Zenith calibre 400 was heavily modified; one also can't ignore that fact that the changes effected by Rolex included some fairly major stuff. For example:

- A new escapement with a much larger, freely sprung balance and balance spring with Breguet overcoil - a preferred, and more costly configuration that leads to higher accuracy.
    - A reduction in the balance's oscillation rate from a speedy 36,000 bph to a more relaxed 28,800 bph - theoretically at least requiring less frequent service.
    - Elimination of the date function.

In all, I think I'm right in saying that more than 50% of the individual movement parts were changed/upgraded in some way, so the final product was pretty different to the movement that Zenith originally manufactured all the way back in 1969. When all's said and done, however, I personally find the attraction of the Zenith Daytona outweighs any arguments in favour of the alternative. I'm quirky like that :)

Anyway, the history of the Cosmograph Daytona is a complicated one that goes back to 1965, when the "Daytona" name was used for the first time (it's roots go further back than that, however). To try to address that here would no doubt bore the socks off everyone but there's plenty of info on the Net (and some good stuff over at Jakes Rolex World and Hodinkee amongst other places).

The one that's sitting on my wrist at the moment is a white gold 16519 that dates back to 1998. The use of gold, as opposed to stainless steel, transforms the watch into an altogether different beast; the heft, the hue of the gold... both give it a wrist presence that I missed in the SS versions that I previously owned. The biggest difference is on the dial, though; it really does pop, and the appearance changes in different light and at different angles to an extent that's hard to believe. Hopefully, I've demonstrated that to some extent in the photos below.

I've tried yellow and rose gold watches before and never really felt comfortable wearing them for some reason. Until now, though, I've never understood the attraction of white gold but the difference between that and stainless steel really is incredible. I'm certainly not intending to go that route in the future, but anyone who has an opportunity to get their hands on one but is in two minds as to whether it's justified... believe me, it is.

There is something very right about a white gold Daytona in my opinion. I've tried numerous steel versions over the years and non have stayed - however, the WG version I have will be with me till the end.

The gold warms faster next to the skin, the watch is heavier - which has been a distraction for me with some other watches, but not this one.

I am sure it wears well on the strap - I do prefer the bracelet, and would prefer the option, but believe the cases, or at least the end links are different in some way and you need to buy adapters - not sure if any are available in white gold though - and I am happy to leave mine as it is - I bought it new that way and I think it will stay on the bracelet for ever.

Great pick up - I'd still miss the Great White - but I sold my 1665 and still have the WG Daytona. Tempted by the Platinum version, but the price difference makes no sense whatsoever!
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Understated beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by aosehus View Post
    Understated beauty.

For somebody who has never been an admirer of the SS Daytona I do like this WG version and after I saw and handled one on a bracelet I can see and feel the appeal in one but it would have to be on a bracelet.
    I once had a moonphase chrono with a date function but found the added functions a struggle to see and I had a GMT chrono with date but the 46mm case that stood 16mm high to be too big for me.
    I don't miss having a chrono but if in the unlikely event of me owning one it would be like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    For somebody who has never been an admirer of the SS Daytona I do like this WG version and after I saw and handled one on a bracelet I can see and feel the appeal in one but it would have to be on a bracelet.
    I once had a moonphase chrono with a date function but found the added functions a struggle to see and I had a GMT chrono with date but the 46mm case that stood 16mm high to be too big for me.
    I don't miss having a chrono but if in the unlikely event of me owning one it would be like this one.
    It's really very, very legible, Steve; I don't know what the black dial would be like in WG, but the white seems to be a different kettle of fish altogether. Point taken regarding the bracelet, but as I always go for leather anyway this one is preferable for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony. You have now confirmed a suspicion I have held for some time. That is that my TT Daytona will have to go to be replaced by a WG.

Tony, I should have put that the moonphase chrono was an Omega and the moonphase was hard to see and the circular date dial was tiny too.

The Daytona dial you have there is easily read tho there is not a lot in the way of functions on it!

I seem to like a date at the very least and that was one of the reasons the 5512 went.

Lovely watch & great photos Tony.

If your undecided on what to wear on the 22nd, this one would get a vote from me

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Lovely watch & great photos Tony.

If your undecided on what to wear on the 22nd, this one would get a vote from me
    It's probably a nose ahead of the GO, Ed, and seems to have the stamina required.

I normally prefer bracelets but on WG it would be too heavy at over 200grams

White dial with Arabic numbers on leather strap looks best imho.

Are these photos 'altered' with photoshop as the greyish/silver rings on the sub dials are not normally that pale?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 15th August 2013 at 13:44.

No alterations in Photoshop whatsoever - the look of the sub-dials changes dramatically depending on lighting and angles.

Master
    I have a love of Arabic numbers on a watch and those are beautifully executed. When I saw the sales corner post, I'd assumed they were solid black. That detailing is stunning.

Wel Jel - as my stepdaughter would say :)

Simon

Journeyman
    Have to say - I never had much appreciation for precious metal watches. Hate yellow gold and would not put on a yellow gold watch if I was paid to do so. Rose gold is also somewhat unappealing. That said, white gold is definitely growing on me. This Daytona is stunning. The platinum brown/green Basel 2013 Daytona is as well. Both have a great shine to them.

The more time I spend around here, the more unaffordable the watches I desire become...

Master
    The heft and feel of gold sure is addictive, Tony.

Master
    Tony all I can say is Richard will miss that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Get over it Tony and strap on a nice 0634. When introduced those cost about a quarter more than a Daytona and that did not reflect the difference in technology, reliability and precision by a long way.

As for the appearantly not so affluent Rolex buyers the economic argument weighs heavy so it will please you to learn that the 0634 will cost 2 Euros for a diy batttery change every 2 - 3 years which is the total maintenance cost needed and percentage wise it is guaranteed to increase in value more than any Daytona model.

Wear one today and you are in vogue retro, wear a Daytona and you are the umpteenth wannabee with a shiny chrono not realising that this is a girls´watch nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Get over it Tony and strap on a nice 0634. When introduced those cost about a quarter more than a Daytona and that did not reflect the difference in technology, reliability and precision by a long way.

As for the appearantly not so affluent Rolex buyers the economic argument weighs heavy so it will please you to learn that the 0634 will cost 2 Euros for a diy batttery change every 2 - 3 years which is the total maintenance cost needed and percentage wise it is guaranteed to increase in value more than any Daytona model.

Wear one today and you are in vogue retro, wear a Daytona and you are the umpteenth wannabee with a shiny chrono not realising that this is a girls´watch nowadays.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch - I especially like it with the contrast of the dark strap... Is this an everyday wearer or a special occasion watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    Lovely watch - I especially like it with the contrast of the dark strap... Is this an everyday wearer or a special occasion watch?
    Somewhere between the two, I suppose.

Banned
    Very Nice,

Will be picking up mine over the weekend cannot wait, having a trip to the Cotswolds with the family for 5 days to retrieve it, they negotiate hard and wanted a holiday tagging on the end of the bill of my new watch.

Fantastic looking watch

Lovely Daytona Tony. I quite fancy one myself! Congratulations mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Tony all I can say is Richard will miss that.
    The Great White is consoling me nicely.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    The Great White is consoling me nicely.

R
    Stop it!!!!!

I'm not a Rolex fan (but not a 'Hater' either so we won't go down that Thread...) but that one is really nice. I must admit I have a soft spot for Rose Gold and White Gold on watches.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    I've had my WG Daytona a couple of years, and find it to be the perfect weekend watch. I look forward to sticking it on most Friday evenings when I get home from work, and keeping it on until Monday morning when it goes back in the safe.
    The weight and lustre of WG combined with its stealth quality means I can wear something really special without it attracting any attention at all, particularly as its not too big.
    WG, white dial and brown leather strap was the perfect combination for me, and as it is not a watch you will come across very often it took me a while to find one. I don't think I've seen anyone else wearing one since I bought mine.
    It's nice to see some interest in the model on TZ.

I've only had a couple of attempts to get some good photos of mine, and have found it quite difficult to photograph without getting lots of reflection off the case and sub dials, but here's a few. The strap is much darker brown in reality than is shown in the pics.

Last edited by nickg; 12th September 2013 at 12:43.

Master
    I thought you were all finished on your collection about 6 watches ago ! :) I'm not usually a Daytona fan but I think that is the best dial/version I have ever seen, looks really nice on that darker strap & in the pics of the lighter one.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I thought you were all finished on your collection about 6 watches ago ! :) I'm not usually a Daytona fan but I think that is the best dial/version I have ever seen, looks really nice on that darker strap & in the pics of the lighter one.
    Thanks mate. Getting on for a week now and no sign of anything else being worn :)

Saw this very watch in the metal today.

One word. AWESOME!

Congrats, Tony.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Saw this very watch in the metal today.

One word. AWESOME!

Congrats, Tony.

Mark
    Cheers Mark. I'm still a bit irritated that I didn't manage to slip away with the watch of yours in my pocket.

Grand Master
    Love the Daytona, and the white gold is always a favourite, as it hides the 'gold' presence well but has the weight and feel to the owner.

But, i've never liked the cut down El Primero, i felt that was rolex hacking at a legendary movement more in trying to say they were better, than actually doing anything to improve it.

The one biggest qualm I have with the Daytona on a strap - and with that AP too - is that the watch-head has clearly been designed around a bracelet, with "false links" incorporated and everything.
    A strap never quite seems to "flow" when on watches like this.
    Obviously, just my opinion.

I actually far prefer it on a strap, and the factory-fitted "end links" finish it off perfectly (IMO).

The issue of the movement modifications is less than straightforward. I can't remember why Rolex reduced the bph to 28,800 but, that aside, most consider the changes to have been positive. Even Zenith, in fact, who seemingly incorporated most of them in later iterations of the EP.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The one biggest qualm I have with the Daytona on a strap - and with that AP too - is that the watch-head has clearly been designed around a bracelet, with "false links" incorporated and everything.
    A strap never quite seems to "flow" when on watches like this.
    Obviously, just my opinion.
    And I think both the models you mention look great on a strap. In fact, they appear that more effort has gone into the design allowing a strap option.

Perhaps that's why this hobby is so much fun...

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    And I think both the models you mention look great on a strap. In fact, they appear that more effort has gone into the design allowing a strap option.

Perhaps that's why this hobby is so much fun...
    It certainly is...!

Not sure how you see false end links as "more effort" though - Id say less, as they clearly indicate that the original design was bracelet-specific - quite an oversight.
    Forgivable maybe in this case because the daytona is after all a very old design and a "classic".
    But to "allow" a strap option on something like a wristwatch shouldn't be an "effort" - more of a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It certainly is...!

Not sure how you see false end links as "more effort" though - Id say less, as they clearly indicate that the original design was bracelet-specific - quite an oversight.
    Forgivable maybe in this case because the daytona is after all a very old design and a "classic".
    But to "allow" a strap option on something like a wristwatch shouldn't be an "effort" - more of a given.
    I don't see that at all. Unlike some other manufacturers, Rolex have always left a "raw" finish between the lugs of their watches (presumably because they were all sold on a bracelet). The fact that they modified this model to provide an option that looks so good on a strap is to be applauded. Stop criticising for the sake of criticising, especially when their competitors generally do no such thing and just leave a yawning gap between case and strap.

I don't see that at all. Unlike some other manufacturers, Rolex have always left a "raw" finish between the lugs of their watches (presumably because they were all sold on a bracelet). The fact that they modified this model to provide an option that looks so good on a strap is to be applauded. Stop criticising for the sake of criticising, especially when their competitors generally do no such thing and just leave a yawning gap between case and strap.
    Im not criticising for the sake of it. You recently have started to exhibit an alarming tendency to be very blinkered toward any view that contradicts whatever you currently see as the thing to love, and very unreceptive to opinions that differ from your own.
    Perhaps you are mistaking this as an attack on a brand - but taking the trouble to properly read my posts would reveal that I feel the same way about the APs design - or lack thereof - as I do about the rollie. Which, incidentally, in SS, on a bracelet, I actually rather like.

Try to live and let live eh? All opinions are valid here. And, as already discussed, regardless of what youd like, TZ UK isn't auditioning for a moderator.

Enjoy your daytona, on whatever you choose to stick it on, and the rest of your day.

Congratulations, stunning pick up, I very nearly bought that same watch, superb.

Craftsman
    Very very nice watch :-)

How soft is the white gold compared to steel - I mean does it mark easily?

If so, wouldn't this be a problem when using the watch as daily wearer?

Quote Originally Posted by feilersen View Post
    Very very nice watch :-)

How soft is the white gold compared to steel - I mean does it mark easily?

If so, wouldn't this be a problem when using the watch as daily wearer?
    I think I'm right in saying that the Rolex "mix" has a higher Vickers rating than 316L stainless steel, Fred (230:225 respectively). Something to do with the Palladium/Chromium content, apparently.

Craftsman
    OK, thanks Tony.

So this means it is actually harder than a 316L steel watch?

OK, thanks Tony.

The vickers rating suggests so, but I'm only going by what I was told and haven't researched it myself, Fred.

The vickers rating suggests so, but I'm only going by what I was told and haven't researched it myself, Fred.
    So gold alloy is harder than steel? We need to start using white gold drill bits then.
    Edit:- Ok, theyd be expensive - but only mid-range compared to the platinum drill bits... ;)
    Last edited by Umbongo; 9th September 2013 at 21:12.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There are Gold alloys with a Vickers hardness of around 1000, harder even than the 600 achieved with hardened steel Typically 316l SS is around 230.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, thanks Tony.

I have had a SS/gold Daytona and an all Gold GMT 11 C for around the same period of time. I don't wear one any less than the the other, and in similar circumstances. There are, sadly more marks on the Daytona (The steel parts) than the GMT, which is un-dinged and un-scratched. Both have fared similarly with regard to the satin finished parts,(Steel on the Daytona) which could equally use refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    There are Gold alloys with a Vickers hardness of around 1000, harder even than the 600 achieved with hardened steel Typically 316l SS is around 230.
    Good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I have had a SS/gold Daytona and an all Gold GMT 11 C for around the same period of time. I don't wear one any less than the the other, and in similar circumstances. There are, sadly more marks on the Daytona (The steel parts) than the GMT, which is un-dinged and un-scratched. Both have fared similarly with regard to the satin finished parts,(Steel on the Daytona) which could equally use refinishing.
    Thanks, that is very useful information. I have always though gold watches were softer and more prone to dings and scratches.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, that is very useful information. I have always though gold watches were softer and more prone to dings and scratches.
    I have 15 of them I will wear them anywhere I wear a SS watch. It is also easier to repair a ding in a gold watch. Personally I think it a complete fallacy that they are more delicate.

Generally its a fallacy.
    But with exceptions.
    Apparently Hublot are very successful in this field with a boron carbide enhanced alloy with diamond.