closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Obsession

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Obsession

I've recently developed an unhealthy obsession with the Royal Oa Offshore, particularly the 'Navy' model

It just strikes me as a sports watch with a touch of class, especially in this colour scheme that could be worn casual or actually with a Navy suit (just..!)

Thoughts? Is anyone lucky enough to own one?

I also LOVE the Bumblebee, however I don't think it would go with much, I think it may end up being one of those watches I stare at in my safe but never reach for

Journeyman
    I originally hated the ROO's for some reason but had a complete turnaround.

The bumblebee is by far my favourite and if I could afford it I would get one. I also really like the safari, white face with a brown strap.

Master
    I liked the Bumblebee until I tried it on recently. The yellow is too, well, yellow for my liking. If it was a darker shade it would look better IMO.

The blue version is a nice watch but when I tried that on, it was way too long for my wrist. In comparison, the ROO Diver I was wearing wore a lot more comfortable on either the bracelet or standard rubber strap so I think it's the design of the hornback strap that caused the issue with the chrono. Great watches though.

Master
    hmmm...I still don't like them.

but that's just me

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I liked the Bumblebee until I tried it on recently. The yellow is too, well, yellow for my liking. If it was a darker shade it would look better IMO.

The blue version is a nice watch but when I tried that on, it was way too long for my wrist. In comparison, the ROO Diver I was wearing wore a lot more comfortable on either the bracelet or standard rubber strap so I think it's the design of the hornback strap that caused the issue with the chrono. Great watches though.
    Really? I'm yet to try the Bumblebee on. Maybe it would be less 'in your face' in natural light?

I do also love the diver, that seems more sensibly priced

Master
    I've had a couple of ROOs - both the SS and RG rubberclads. Nice watches but a serious ding magnet. That's why I sold mine, I marked them so easily I didn't want them anymor Lovely, but certainly not an everyday watch in my opinion. If I was buying again I'd go for the cheaper and prettier ROO Diver, something I hope to own at some stage. Whatever you do, don't buy new as you'll lose a fortune. If you can pick up a mint used piece I'd say go for it. On hornback they look great.

Still don't get the ROO myself. But glad somebody does and enjoying it. Boring world if everyone love tje same thing.

I used to think they were a bit obvious but now I'm a huge fan and may consider, investing (yes darling, it IS an investment ) in one soon, all being well.

I tried the ROO Volcano on and the strap and lugs made it sit a little proud on my wrist but hopefully trying some others may find one that sits nicely.

W44NNE's AP diver was on SC recently and that looks stunning and maybe more wearable than the ROO.

Do you still have it Wayne?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I used to think they were a bit obvious but now I'm a huge fan and may consider, investing (yes darling, it IS an investment ) in one soon, all being well.

I tried the ROO Volcano on and the strap and lugs made it sit a little proud on my wrist but hopefully trying some others may find one that sits nicely.

W44NNE's AP diver was on SC recently and that looks stunning and maybe more wearable than the ROO.

Do you still have it Wayne?
    W44NNE - How much is it advertised for if you don't mind me asking?

(Not a sales corner dodge, just interested in knowing private used value)

IMHO
    the ROO is the bling footballers' classless version.
    the RO is the original prestigious SS sports watch, and far more elegant and in proportion.

But hey each to their own.
    If you like it, enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by kylinder View Post
    W44NNE - How much is it advertised for if you don't mind me asking?

(Not a sales corner dodge, just interested in knowing private used value)
    PM sent with details.

The lightness and construction of the Bumblee was very impressive, bit steep at £25k for RRP

Black with red accents was the prettiest of the lot, the Volcano was too much....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    The lightness and construction of the Bumblee was very impressive, bit steep at £25k for RRP

Black with red accents was the prettiest of the lot, the Volcano was too much....
    I think there's a new one at Heathrow T5, believe it was £21k or £22k. Still too steep IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kylinder View Post
    I think there's a new one at Heathrow T5, believe it was £21k or £22k. Still too steep IMO

Should easily get a Bumblebee for £15k....personally like the look but found it too light and prefer the other ROO's...and it is a watch you need to try on to "get"

I too have had this obsession for the past few months since I tried the safari on in Blowers. Then he went and got a Bumble Bee in. To fund this I would have to get rid of a few.
    Some may think I am mad but I have just returned home after trading a Sub LV, unworn Seadweller and a Ploprof for the Bumble Bee and must say I am over the moon with it.
    True the watch is light, but what swung it for me is the carbon case and ceramic bezel are virtually impossible to mark unlike the brushed steel ones. If only I could work out how to do pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

I too have had this obsession for the past few months since I tried the safari on in Blowers. Then he went and got a Bumble Bee in. To fund this I would have to get rid of a few.
    Some may think I am mad but I have just returned home after trading a Sub LV, unworn Seadweller and a Ploprof for the Bumble Bee and must say I am over the moon with it.
    True the watch is light, but what swung it for me is the carbon case and ceramic bezel are virtually impossible to mark unlike the brushed steel ones. If only I could work out how to do pictures!

Master
    They do ding easy, and servicing is eye wateringly expensive. However i own two ROO's so i guess i find there there is plenty of good stuff outweighing the bad. One i wore daily for 3 or 4 years.
    I also had a carbon alinghi at one time but i found that simply too light. Just could not get on with it at all. The bumblebee is better with the ceramic bezel for sure, but i think the carbon does not quite do the watch design justice. You cannot really see all the workmanship in the finish you get with a metal (steel or gold) version if you go with carbon.
    So i would get a pre owned navy but make sure there is plenty of time before servicing (or build it into the ownership budget). Take care of it and when it dings look at it as adding character !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chez View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures please! Upload them to photobucket then copy and paste the IMG code onto here.

Craftsman
    For me, the whole AP brand has been tainted for ever by Nobbie Styles of No Direction.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    For me, the whole AP brand has been tainted for ever by Nobbie Styles of No Direction.

Who?

I'm a fan of black chronos ....and a fan of AP , so there was only one option for me ; black themes titanium .

Own it ....love it .....never part with it ????

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Who?
    A popular beat combo.

Master
    You cant worry about what pop stars and reality cnuts wear, theyve all got cash and eventually most Pateks and Langes will be worn by them too so all youll be left with are brands they wont touch anymore like Casio and Tissot etc.

Im a big fan of the Panda ROO rather than the Navy and for £12K, 30% off retail, from a good grey dealer I think they are a decent buy and Im very tempted.

I've had AP's in the past but actually preferred the look of the AP diver without the chrono sub dials.
    I think the Bumblebee is a great looking watch and certainly stands out.....
    my biggest bugbear was that I just didn't find them that comfortable on the wrist- I can wear my Deepsea and
    after 5 mins forget/not notice it's on my wrist-which wasn't the case with the AP ROO's/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    You cant worry about what pop stars and reality cnuts wear, theyve all got cash and eventually most Pateks and Langes will be worn by them too so all youll be left with are brands they wont touch anymore like Casio and Tissot etc.

Im a big fan of the Panda ROO rather than the Navy and for £12K, 30% off retail, from a good grey dealer I think they are a decent buy and Im very tempted.
    Shame they can't all stick to Hublot, they make enough ghastly limited editions to keep all the tasteless celebs happy.

Craftsman
    i love the look of the rubberclad. the blck dial in particular. i think the look is very futuristic and modern which can be worn casual or smart in my opinion.

in particular the rose gold rubberclad is a grail especially the new dial with gold accents!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    I'm a fan of black chronos ....and a fan of AP , so there was only one option for me ; black themes titanium .

Own it ....love it .....never part with it ????

That watch is just fantastic! However it could look even better without those cutout-numbers. Still, I would really like to have that watch. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    That watch is just fantastic! However it could look even better without those cutout-numbers. Still, I would really like to have that watch. :)
    quite agree about the cut out numbers, not that i could afford one

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I tried on the navy today....was nice, however I made the mistake of trying on the roae gold rubber clad - wow. What a watch, some serious weight to it too...AP have dropped the price from £40k to a merge £27k....now if I just sell my collection....and a kidney....

Craftsman

Big Royal Oak fan here...

...both the Offshore and the original.

Among the Offshores, the Divers remain my favorite. Right now I have both the steel and forged carbon variants, and I just love their clean, mega tapissieres dials:

I might add the new ceramic Diver down the road, but frankly, I don't know if it can compete with the unique personality of the forged carbon. We'll see, but for now I'm good.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - My absolute favorite? This one:

You can't beat the legendary Jumbo!

Blog Entries
    Whenever i read threads about AP's people always refer to them as ding magnets. What is it about these that make them any more of a ding magnet than anything else? Bigger bezel? Surely something like a Daytona with more polished areas would be more of a ding magnet? I've not had an AP (yet) but had an Oysterquartz which is similarly shaped and i didn't find it a ding magnet at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Whenever i read threads about AP's people always refer to them as ding magnets. What is it about these that make them any more of a ding magnet than anything else? Bigger bezel? Surely something like a Daytona with more polished areas would be more of a ding magnet? I've not had an AP (yet) but had an Oysterquartz which is similarly shaped and i didn't find it a ding magnet at all.
    It's the grained, matt finish that AP uses that it the issue on both the RO and ROO - it doesn't take much to mark it, and you can't easily brush it up, as you can with normal matt finishes. Also, there are the alternating polished sections, that ironically are hard to polish because of their proximity to the matt sections (similar to other brands, to be fair e.g. PP Nautilus, IWC Portuguese). Arguably the ROO is a quite a bit more prone than the RO, as it sits much higher on the wrist, and is easier to catch. Since the finish is part of the appeal of the RO/ROO, and refurbing the case is not cheap, I think they're watches you have to be careful with.

If I went for a ROO Chrono, I'd be tempted to go either the Rubberclad or Bumblebee, as there would be much less chance of knackering up the bezel.

I am also eyeing up the Safari and the steel Diver models.

Master
    (each to their own and all that)...)Thing is, I am sure they are impressive, but when I see them I just think of this:

Lol Tom, now you've ingrained that image in my head I will never be able to look at an AP again in the same light.

Master
    I wish I could afford to be obsessed by them. I used to dislike them immensely, but then got a chance to view them in the metal/carbon/ceramic and now love them! The ROO divers are my favourite, but I do love the bumblebee.

At least with a Royal Oak Offshore diver you get a 'Rolls Royce' movement......
    no comparison with some of the crap movements Richemont put in IWC's and Panerai's etc etc