closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Planet Ocean 42 or 45mm

Grand Master

New Planet Ocean 42 or 45mm

Hoping to grab a new Planet Ocean tomorrow, Ive always had 45mm in the past as the dial has more pop to it and it sits flatter on the wrist but Im tempted to try the 42mm! Anyone tried the new one on to tell me what they think before I get it?

Your thoughts?
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I bought a 45mm off this forum and was always curious as t whether the 42mm may have been a better choice. So, off to the Omega boutique Trafford Centre i went, both sales reps had the 45mm's on. I tried the 42mm on and to be honest, it looked rather girly to me, no disrespect to any owners out there. The XL was definitely the better choice for me.

Banned
    I have tried the new 42mm and thought it a good fit for my 8"+. (It went quite well on the wrist too naturally.) but then i usually wear a 40mm SD.

i personally wouldnt go larger for reasons of aesthetics, flipability and trend as i think the clock on wrist thing has had its moment.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post

i personally wouldnt go larger for reasons of aesthetics, flipability and trend as i think the clock on wrist thing has had its moment.
    You say that but everyone is getting a mm or two bigger, no-one has gone for smaller cases!
    RIAC

Master
    Hi, I have recently post a thread "Another Planet Ocean question - does size matter?" which raises this similar question with lots of constructive replies. You can search for it easily, as it is very recent.

Hope it helps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You say that but everyone is getting a mm or two bigger, no-one has gone for smaller cases!
    I think that the 42mm is already there

Grand Master
    Thanks Tim, I had a few of the older ones but it appears that the new is very similar in that the 42mm looks short and squat whereas the 45mm has the spread of weight, I always rememebr the 45mm wore alot better and and didnt appear the size it suggests it is
    RIAC

I picked up a 42mm black bezel the same day as an old sub date. Whilst the sub was a joy to wear, I found the 42mm PO looked a bit squashed and prefer the heft of the 22mm bracelet and the larger dial of the 45mm - somehow the bezel seemed too big on the 42mm version. I now wear a 45mm Orange bezel version - 2500 model and find it so versatile. Maybe when they are both tried on for size, one will speak to you more than the other. Good luck with your decision!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For me it depends. On a bracelet, no way for the 45.5 - too unwieldy. On a rubber strap, the 45.5 is just perfect.

Grand Master
    Is it the same rubber strap that was on the old version of the PO?
    RIAC

I'd be tempted either way on the new 8500 PO's, as the depth of the watch is less of an issue on the larger watch. 42/43mm is my sweet spot though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    The 45.5mm PO will be heavier than your DS, but it might have a better balance than the Rolex due to the extra width of the case. That said 42mm is still feeling on the large side for me, and the Pelagos might need to go soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A good question to which I regret I do not know the answer. Mine is my first PO.

Journeyman
    I would go for the 42mm I think 40-42mm is the classic size for a sporty divers watch and don't think I would wear anything bigger!

Grand Master
    Appreciate the comments but I think I might play safe with what I know in the 45mm
    RIAC

Banned
    No, the old rubber strap had some quality issues, the new strap is probably the best I've seen, very comfortable, a great clasp and a top quality item.

Here it is on my old 8500 45.5mm

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^what he said.
    In fact, that is now my actual watch bought from the forum a few months back!
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th January 2013 at 22:29.

One of the first 45.5mm PO's delivered in Holland, and still on its thick original rubber strap. No quality issues whatsoever, it has been used a lot, and is tough as nails.

New Planet Ocean 42 or 45mm

It'd be the thickness of the 45 that would put me off, if it is thicker than the 42...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post

One of the first 45.5mm PO's delivered in Holland, and still on its thick original rubber strap. No quality issues whatsoever, it has been used a lot, and is tough as nails.
    Yes, that's a fine strap, the one I referred to was the padded strap with orange stitching, I saw something a while ago where it had split and the internal padding was only made of cardboard.

Blog Entries
    I had a 42mm - but now own the 45.5mm XL version - I find it somehow more "balanced" - each to his own though..
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I tried on my mates 42mm PO it was very nice, but I was not smitten... however if it had been 45mm?

Craftsman
    It all depends on how you feel when you stick it on your wrist and no one else's

Grand Master
    All my others were 45mm less one and that felt too small so Ill stick with what I know, but you are spot on really its all on the wearing and you cant tell from trying something on you have to live with it, my 372 wears very comfortable at 47mm its really not that big but you would think it was
    RIAC

Master
    I went to look at the new PO for the first time the other day I have skinny 6.5" wrists so the obvious choice is the 42mm but when I saw them both in person the 45mm to me just looked so much better I felt the 42mm seemed quite small even though it isn't.

It seemed like a lovely watch but I expected to be blown away by the watch and the quality but it just didn't! Maybe it's just me as I am not knocking the watch as I think it is such a thing of beauty but the quality didn't feel or look any better than the superb Sinn Arktis I had a while ago but I am sure of I owned one I would feel different, maybe it was the naff lighting in Goldsmiths :)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    For me it depends. On a bracelet, no way for the 45.5 - too unwieldy. On a rubber strap, the 45.5 is just perfect.
    Same for me. I've got 6.5"-7" wrists and the 45 looks fine on strap, but silly on bracelet. 42 is ok on both, but looks a little too discreet on strap, perfect on bracelet.

I would have to go 42 for a better allrounder though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I went to look at the new PO for the first time the other day I have skinny 6.5" wrists so the obvious choice is the 42mm but when I saw them both in person the 45mm to me just looked so much better I felt the 42mm seemed quite small even though it isn't.

It seemed like a lovely watch but I expected to be blown away by the watch and the quality but it just didn't! Maybe it's just me as I am not knocking the watch as I think it is such a thing of beauty but the quality didn't feel or look any better than the superb Sinn Arktis I had a while ago but I am sure of I owned one I would feel different, maybe it was the naff lighting in Goldsmiths :)
    using that logic you had better never try a Precista or you will be wondering hard how anybody charges more than a couple hundred quid for a watch...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    using that logic you had better never try a Precista or you will be wondering hard how anybody charges more than a couple hundred quid for a watch...
    It's pretty sound logic. All those artificial cartoon pictures of watches stretched two feet wide over your monitor at home/work can lead to some serious disappointments these days.

FWIW I think that although the 46mm Planet Ocean is kind of a clown's watch, it has better proportions now that it's 16-17mm thick because of the fancy see-thru case. 45.5/16.5 = 2.76, which is about the same as an old Sea-Dweller. The smaller one is 2.54, and there aren't many watches stubbier than that.
    Last edited by andrew; 17th January 2013 at 13:00.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    I'm considering the same purchase or the Breitling Superocean Heritage 46mm.

For me, as I wear a Transocean every day, the reduction in the face size of watches with a bezel but the same case size as the Transocean, the 42mm looked very small on the wrist when I tried it on. This can only be a recent personal impression though, as I've been wearing a Colt for the last 15 years quite happily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by m@tty View Post
    I would go for the 42mm I think 40-42mm is the classic size for a sporty divers watch and don't think I would wear anything bigger!
    Same here. Local AD also advised that the 42mm is, by far, the better seller so you may want to keep that in mind if you are prone to flipping.

But, at the end of the day, your watch, your choice. Just try them both before making up your mind!

Master
    I bought a 45mm from here.....£1100 quid just to show how long ago....

Then I bought the orange 42mm....... I still have the 42......... The 45 has long gone...:)

Grand Master
    I ended up going for the 45mm Black Bezel with orange numerals on bracelet, but picked up the Rubber Deployant Clasp as well so it can be both.

Had to make a decision as I had a credit note to use up and with HMV & Blockbuster going under you never know if Goldsmiths wont be next!! Better safe than sorry!
    RIAC

Grand Master
    And here she is....I dont want to de-sticker it yet

RIAC