closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No time to die - no spoilers

During the motorcycle chase through the city, you can see where they've added 'fillets' on the stairs, turning them more into ramps.

Do you think they might do a complete re-boot; total new cast etc?

The DC films were the reboot, an attempt I thought to make him grittier, flesh out the back story, develop his character with a nod to the changin' times... overall I thought they were OK, good even in some parts and added something new, NTTD was just about O.K being generous, it at least wrapped things up...But how do they reboot it again, maybe a mixed race Trans Bond...Some comments have suggested going back to the 50's and 60's but those films already exist, Connery etc...Another problem with cranking out more fllms set now is that geo politics, reality has moved so far beyond the essential premise of Bond lore...that Britain has the best spies and can influence events globally, even with your Secret Agent Suspension of Disbelief Sun Glasses dialled to max, it becomes less credible and convincing by the day, does feel a bit tragic, delusional even.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    During the motorcycle chase through the city, you can see where they've added 'fillets' on the stairs, turning them more into ramps.

Do you think they might do a complete re-boot; total new cast etc?
    The question is whether there will there be a cultural reboot to mirror the cultural revolution we're currently enduring. Obviously they hinted at as much in NTTD.
    They might have a crack at promoting her. Not sure I'd watch, too forced, but maybe there's an audience for it.
    Get woke, go broke?

I still think Idris Elba would make a cracking Bond. A nod to progress while maintaining the 'chauvinist' roots of Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The DC films were the reboot, an attempt I thought to make him grittier
    As were the Timothy Dalton ones (in many ways Licence to Kill is very much a DC Bond film), but there's always an element of 'reboot' when a new Bond actor comes along.

Hopefully, we'll see more of the CIA woman from Cuba (Paloma?) in future Bonds, she was great! More Bond than Bond or the new 007 in NTTD.

The whole premise of Bond was really wartime 'anything goes, we die tomorrow', so maybe it's had its time, but I can't see the owners giving up on it that easily, it's still one of the biggest franchises ever!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th November 2021 at 16:38.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    As were the Timothy Dalton ones (in many ways Licence to Kill is very much a DC Bond film), but there's always an element of 'reboot' when a new Bond actor comes along.

Hopefully, we'll see more of the CIA woman from Cuba (Paloma?) in future Bonds, she was great! More Bond than Bond or the new 007 in NTTD.

The whole premise of Bond was really wartime 'anything goes, we die tomorrow', so maybe it's had its time, but I can't see the owners giving up on it that easily, it's still one of the biggest franchises ever!

M
    I thought the CIA woman, I want to say Paloma also, that was one of the best parts of the whole film and totally agree with your appraisal compared to the new 007.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Believe No Time To Die due to pass Avatar this week to become the UKs 4th highest grossing film of all time. Which would mean:

1) Star Wars - The Force Awakens
    2) Skyfall
    3) SPECTRE
    4) No Time To Die

This means Daniel Craig stars in all of the top 4 films due to his cameo as a Storm Trooper in the Force Awakens

So yeah Bond still huge business in the UK and Europe

Master
    Well - I'm not sure that was quite what I want or expect from a Bond film, but it certainly was very entertaining. Off to bed in a minute but a few quick thoughts.

First off - finally, Daniel Craig owns James Bond. He finally did grow into the role. He wasn't just a grimly brutal and sometimes callous professional killer. He's got a bit of charm and humour at last and he carries it well.

Second - Bond films aren't spy thrillers now, they're action films. I get that. But do we really have to see him defeat a small army of land rovers, then take out a whole battalion of heavily armed mercenaries? It was overcooked. It leans into self-parody. Far better if he could just be placed in situations where he can overcome his opponents more plausibly. Would be cheaper to film, as well.

Third - some nice nods to the past. The "poison garden" which although it wasn't in the film, was the subject of the You Only Live Twice novel. The portrait of Robert Brown (who played M in the '80s). The OHMSS theme music (from both ends of the film). Although I don't think the classic 007 theme was used until late on, which surprised me.

Fourth - this film is out there. It's RIGHT out there. It reminded me of one of those wacky '60s spy-fi films from when hallucinogenic drugs were more fashionable, like Billion Dollar Brain. It put me in mind of the old Avengers TV series. Emma Peel would have fitted right in. This film is roughly half way to Austin Powers. But I didn't really mind that. I just enjoyed the ride. I especially liked the invincible CIA chick who likes a drink.

Some have described this film as having been blighted by political correctness; I'd even heard that it was "ruined by blue-haired feminists", but for me it wasn't. I didn't mind the uber-fit black chick 00 operative. I think she was great, actually. I don't think you'd get an eye-popping babe MI6 special forces type field agent in real life of course, but this film is so heavily invested in artistic absurdism that you simply have to accept it as being part of the bonkers.

This is, religiously, a Bond Film. It even has the villain's secret base getting blown up. They should have kitted the henchmen out in orange boiler suits. It's not the gritty spy thriller that I'd have liked, but it is a whole lot of fun.

Brave ending, but one that will clear the decks for the next 007.

For me - the best of the Craig Bond outings, or certainly the most enjoyable, anyway.

Wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all liked the same things?
    So in that spirit, I couldn't disagree with the previous poster more.

What a dreadfull watered down, lacklustre effort that was!

It failed to have either the depth of plot of Skyfall or the frivolity of the Moore era Bond. It's clear that they've tried to make Mr. Bond more politically correct and in doing so they've killed the charactor that Flemming created in oh so many ways.

In hindisght, making us wait a year for that drivel was a very shrewd marketing move. Had it gone straight to streaming last year it would probably have flopped. Instead it was "too important to be a failure" and everyone is treating it accordingly.

I am a bond fan, alway have been & admittedly some films are far better than others, but NTTD was truely & utterly awful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No Time To Die has now surpassed Spectre to become the second biggest 007 movie and the third highest-grossing UK movie of all time

Daresay the timing helped, audiences starved of block buster cinema offerings because of Covid.

Master
    Thread resurrection. And I think it’s safe to NOT worry about spoilers now.
    I’ve just watched it and I’m a little confused by the line right at the end of the credits that said James Bond will return.
    How? I could understand if it said 007 will return as 007 is just an agent designation, but James Bond would be a person. How are they going to manipulate this?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Thread resurrection. And I think it’s safe to NOT worry about spoilers now.
    I’ve just watched it and I’m a little confused by the line right at the end of the credits that said James Bond will return.
    How? I could understand if it said 007 will return as 007 is just an agent designation, but James Bond would be a person. How are they going to manipulate this?
    A simple reboot.

I saw it at the flicks and throughly enjoyed it. Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but noticed it's on Amazon prime video the other night.

One of the 'free with prime' films too, if I remember correctly.

No time to die - no spoilers

Amazon bought MGM and as a special ’treat’ they have made all bond movies free on prime including NTTD. I think it’s only for two months so fill your dress shoes while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bought the DVD at Christmas, still can’t be bothered to watch it!