closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rome - what to do, where to go

Master

Rome - what to do, where to go

So you guys seem well travelled, I am taking my first jaunt to Rome in a couple of weeks.
    What are the must sees? What should I do, what do I need to look out for? I heard pickpockets are rife!

Cheers

Master
    I'd say must sees are Vatican museum/Sistine chapel, St Peter's, Coliseum, Forum, Parthenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So you guys seem well travelled, I am taking my first jaunt to Rome in a couple of weeks.
    What are the must sees? What should I do, what do I need to look out for? I heard pickpockets are rife!

Cheers

If you buy any drinks, snacks etc from the many Kiosks dotted about, ask the price, only give them small denomination notes and check your change.

They are complete robbers on the make, every kiosk, I'm sure it's some kind of organised crime ring.

Craftsman
    Book a visit to the Sistine Chapel in advance, online, directly through the museum. You'll avoid a massive wait in line, and get a scheduled time to enter, museivaticani.va

Book a private tour of the Colosseum. You'll get access to areas that aren't so overrun, and its a great place for great stories about the legends past.

My favorite part of Rome was the food. There are countless noteworthy restaurants and great dishes to be had in the city. Its tough to get a bad meal in Italy, but its pretty easy in Rome, there are so many tourists that many don't need to rely on repeat business. Its worth looking around ahead of time, and making at least a few reservations. Jotting down the name and address of a few more casual places to take with you wouldn't hurt either.

Be prepared for the Metro to be packed cheek to jowel, and be hot as balls; and don't plan on hailing a cab, you'll need to call one or spring for an Uber.

It pays to book a tour to the Vatican and Sistine chapel as the queues can be huge.
    Ask the taxi driver for the price from the airport before you get in.
    Pickpockets are as plentiful as most other big cities, it's only because you'll be in holiday mode that you mightn't notice it as much.
    There is a market/ restaurant-bar area running alongside the river which is really good for an evening. Very laid back and plenty of differing foods to choose from. On the opposite side of the river to the car chase in Spectre.
    You can drink the water from the hundreds of fountains dotted about.
    Do your homework on restaurants, there are some amazing cheap places all over as much as there are expensive tourist traps serving very average meals.
    Get to the Spanish Steps early and it's lovely. Same for the Trevi Fountain.
    It's a nice place, don't let the small negatives stop you enjoying it.

Stay alert especially on the metro - the light fingered abound.
    Lots of beggars too but you soon get used to ignoring them.

Great place all the same.

Pantheon is superb - I like to have lunch at one the restaurants in the square, pricey but worth it.

Just down from there along one of the back streets is an amazing shop that sells clothing and paraphernalia solely aimed at priests and nuns, a kind of Father Ted supermarket. We call it the 'Pope shop' - fascinating.

Just across from the Collosseum is the forum. Great place and not as full of bad tempered middle aged men as the kind we are more familiar with. The view from the Palatine Hill is lovely and its one of my favourite places.

Everywhere is crowded except in the intense heat of high summer in the middle of the day. Get yourself a big floppy hat and be a 'mad Englishman'. Works for me.

Master
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas there, we have definitely got a trip already booked to the Vatican and some of the other places sound amazing too.
    Will do some online research in restaurants in advance.

thank you

We went a couple of years ago.

First day we wandered down to the Palatine Hill and the rest of the ruins in this area, just before the Colosseum, which we went to next and both are 100% must sees for us.

We wandered down to the river and then over it, via Isola Tiberina, lunching at a little place (the name and location of which escapes me, a friend told me it's the Jewish quarter - Food was great, but very Italian, not Jewish!)

We wandered back down the river and back, eventually to the Pantheon (another site well worth visiting). Our hotel was near the Trevi Fountain (under repair when we were there sadly and the Spanish steps - worth a look on the way to the park above it, but REALLY busy unless you're there very early or late).

Generally, we just wandered around though, it's worth doing that alone.

Second day, we went to the Vatican, but the Pope was doing an audience so it was shut for the morning, we whizzed across St Peter's Square (through huge crowds) and then walked down to the Castel St'Angelo, which was wonderful, we thought - Great views over the city too.

Again, the rest of the day we just wandered.

On the final day, on our way to the airport, we travelled out to Ostia Antica, which is a ruined town. It's the old sea port of Rome and a wonderful place (a bit like Pompei) to wander around for hours.

We left our luggage with the gate man (just one case between us) because the roads are VERY bumpy in there.

We got a train and then a taxi from there to the airport.

It was a great couple of days - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

M

How long have you got and how many are you? Apart from the more obvious tourist sites I'd recommend:

I could go on, but it depends upon whether you're into art, history, architecture, food etc etc...and how long you'll be there.

Rome has something for everybody and lot's of it! I've been there several times and there's still a lot on my list of things to see.

Edit: See also this link for some good advice, including "Don’t sit down in an Italian cafe. No, really. Don’t." Hence my question about how many of you are there...I doubt you'll convince the family to all drink coffee standing at the bar.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2016 at 15:54.

Master
    I went last October and had an excellent time. My advice is:-

1. Don't try and do everything, otherwise you'll end up dashing from site to site and will be knackered. Leave some time to enjoy the atmosphere.
    2. Book your tours in advance
    3. Don't visit St Peters on Wednesday as the Pope gives his audience in the morning so its closed and then about 4000 people come out on the basilica
    4. Take the advice of the hotel front desk for sites to see and restaurants to visit (sometime you'll get a discount or free glass of ). They won't recommend a bad one!
    5. Buy Rick Steeves book (or download the app) and gen up before hand
    6. Visit the roof of the Tomb of the Unknown Solder for an excellent view of the city - its just round the corner from the Roman Forum - you can see a big white building with 2 giant horse sculptures on the roof.
    7. Pop into any church you fancy when passing - Rome's Catherdral aka Archbasilica of St John Lateran is worth a visit
    8. I didn't bother with the metro just hopped in a cab in the morning to our destination and then walked back, nothing is very far
    9. Booked my transfers from the airport to the hotel in advance is was about 45euro's each way
    10. Look up - there are some great things to be seen above eye level

Above all else enjoy!

Master
    I've been to Rome a few times and love it - probably my favourite city.

I won't repeat what everyone else has said, however I will add another idea. How about a food tour?

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/...FcSRGwod478Gmw

We did this around 3 or 4 years back. The day tour which lasts for around 4 hours from memory. It was amazing and takes you to parts of Rome you just wouldn't see under your own steam.

Worth a thought :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    How long have you got and how many are you? Apart from the more obvious tourist sites I'd recommend:

I could go on, but it depends upon whether you're into art, history, architecture, food etc etc...and how long you'll be there.

Rome has something for everybody and lot's of it! I've been there several times and there's still a lot on my list of things to see.

Edit: See also this link for some good advice, including "Don’t sit down in an Italian cafe. No, really. Don’t." Hence my question about how many of you are there...I doubt you'll convince the family to all drink coffee standing at the bar.
    I believe there are about 60 of us going for a wedding, some of us will be doing our own thing on the days that the couple are not getting married.
    I have major concerns over my wallet, rucksack etc!
    We are only there for 4 days but if I like it, I will return.

When you are inside the Pantheon, walk right to the back, stand still, (hope it goes quite for a minute - which wont last for long..!), take a long look up at the roof and then think about how ancient it is.

They built that roof when we were still living in caves and mud huts!

Walking around Rome with that thought in your mind makes the whole history of Rome and what you are seeing around every street corner take on a very different perspective.

One other tip, the local wine was cheaper than water/soft drinks when I was there.

I believe there are about 60 of us going for a wedding, some of us will be doing our own thing on the days that the couple are not getting married.
    I have major concerns over my wallet, rucksack etc!
    We are only there for 4 days but if I like it, I will return.
    I don't want to concern you but my nephews went to wedding in Rome and stayed in a hotel...where they were robbed. It happens...in London, too, I expect. I've stayed in a couple of Rome's central hotels without any problems and so too did the rest of us going to a different wedding. One family rented a holiday apartment, which might be an option as there's quite a few of you. The best I found was a B&B in someone's home a little outside the centre as it wouldn't be a tourist target. Leaving your belongings in a hotel room is always a bit of a worry. I tend to secrete cash in several places and hope that I don't forget where I've put it. Otherwise it's down to common sense, the hotel safe and some insurance.

You'll probably want to stay somewhere near the reception so as not to have too far to stagger back or negotiate with taxis etc. Any idea of the locality?

What with the wedding and the hangover (unless you're TT) you'll have to be very selective about what you really want to see (as advised above). It's very easy to spend the whole day and a good bit of the night wandering from site to site in central Rome and popping into the churches as you see fit. The Vatican museum and gallery is vast...you'll struggle to do it justice. But the Sistine Chapel is superb...I was lucky enough to see it very early in the day before the hordes arrived, but that was before it was restored to its present glory. I've a liking for the paintings of Caravaggio and seeing them, plus works by other artists and sculptors, in the setting they were designed for is marvellous. If that's your sort of thing, or to find out if it is, visit San Luigi dei Francesi...WikiLink... you can always walk out again and visit something else nearby. You might prefer Michelangelo's sculptures, in which case try San Pietro in Vincoli.

Oh...take comfortable walking shoes and a water bottle. Rome tends to be hot and dusty with many stalls aimed at tourists (see above).
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2016 at 17:27.

Master
    Unlikely I will have a hangover but I am not TT.
    You have raised some very interesting questions which prompted me to find the answers :)

So the Hotel is Via Casale di Tragliata which was booked by the couple who are getting married
    I was told not to take all my cash out of the hotel, now you are telling me that the hotel could be dangerous!!
    Good shout on the shoes and I understand that shoulders and knees are banned in the Vatican?

Cheers

I don't want to concern you but my nephews went to wedding in Rome and stayed in a hotel...where they were robbed. It happens...in London, too, I expect. I've stayed in a couple of Rome's central hotels without any problems and so too did the rest of us going to a different wedding. One family rented a holiday apartment, which might be an option as there's quite a few of you. The best I found was a B&B in someone's home a little outside the centre as it wouldn't be a tourist target. Leaving your belongings in a hotel room is always a bit of a worry. I tend to secrete cash in several places and hope that I don't forget where I've put it. Otherwise it's down to common sense, the hotel safe and some insurance.

You'll probably want to stay somewhere near the reception so as not to have too far to stagger back or negotiate with taxis etc. Any idea of the locality?

What with the wedding and the hangover (unless you're TT) you'll have to be very selective about what you really want to see (as advised above). It's very easy to spend the whole day and a good bit of the night wandering from site to site in central Rome and popping into the churches as you see fit. The Vatican museum and gallery is vast...you'll struggle to do it justice. But the Sistine Chapel is superb...I was lucky enough to see it very early in the day before the hordes arrived, but that was before it was restored to its present glory. I've a liking for the paintings of Caravaggio and seeing them, plus works by other artists and sculptors, in the setting they were designed for is marvellous. If that's your sort of thing, or to find out if it is, visit San Luigi dei Francesi...WikiLink... you can always walk out again and visit something else nearby. You might prefer Michelangelo's sculptures, in which case try San Pietro in Vincoli.

Oh...take comfortable walking shoes and a water bottle. Rome tends to be hot and dusty with many stalls aimed at tourists (see above).

Craftsman
    Colosseum is a must do, try Tickitay.com for the underground tour and avoid the queues.

Tripadvisor is a brilliant tool for eateries,

Try Perroni Gran Reserva Rossa.

Master
    Borghese Gallery

and top of my list (after Vatican & Colosseum) is;
    Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini - http://www.palazzovalentini.it/en/
    Absolutely stunning.

Tip about pre-booking is gold.
    Vatican Gardens is also well worth a visit - if you have time - more than just gardens.

If you are going to the Sistine, then get your guide to show you the short cut into St Peter's.

Unlikely I will have a hangover but I am not TT.
    You have raised some very interesting questions which prompted me to find the answers :)

So the Hotel is Via Casale di Tragliata which was booked by the couple who are getting married
    I was told not to take all my cash out of the hotel, now you are telling me that the hotel could be dangerous!!
    Good shout on the shoes and I understand that shoulders and knees are banned in the Vatican?

Cheers
    The only likely place I can find is well outside of Rome: Borgo di Tragliata, Via del Casale di Tragliata snc, 00050 Fiumicino - Roma (RM). You'd best plan ahead if that's the place. It may be that you need a hire car and can then use Rome's Park and Ride system for sightseeing. If you end up on public transport, download some maps, print out the fiddly bits and load the rest on your phone or a tablet. For tickets see the ATAC site. But you may prefer to use taxis.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hotel...especially if it's not central. Just take reasonable precautions by not leaving valuables exposed, split up the cash you leave in the hotel (if it's not in a safe) and have a good time.

Given the sun I tend to wear lightweight travel clothes with long legs and sleeves, but see Rome: What to Wear for some better advice.

Edit: Despite the advice of others, I wouldn't book anything you haven't already. There's so much to see and you haven't got long, it's easy to find things to see and pay admission on the hoof. Miss it out if there's a long queue and mark it down for next time, or the time after that when you have more time. The last thing you need is to be hurrying around trying to get from place to place because you've booked a time.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2016 at 19:52.

A slightly left field thing.... if you can spend even an hour or two 'people watching' near the Trevi Fountain with an ice cream in hand, you will find it an amazing experience. As a completely heterosexual bloke, I can say that both men and women are stunning, well dressed and outing style..... you have to see it to believe the level of attention taken.

Reading trough some of the above posts has reminded me of a few things

How, busy the Trevi Fountain is - Ive walked along there at 2pm in the morning and found it still buzzing with fellow tourists

and

How wonderful Ostia is - Ive been three times now and its been really quiet, hardly anyone there. A couple of years ago we sat under some eucalyptus trees near the bath houses and had a picnic with not a soul in sight. Much better than Pompeii in my opinion.

I know Rome pretty well, have family there. A million things you could see, eat, drink or do, but here are just a couple of suggestions for you:

A top tip for visiting Coliseum and Roman Forum. 2 great sites and they are available on a single entry ticket which lasts I think 2 days. If you queue at the Coliseum you will wait for hours, but queue at the forum and the wait is still long but much less, maybe 30 mins. If you have EU passports with you, you get the entry fee reduced. The Forum entrance is on the right about 300 metres on from Coliseum on Via Di S Gregorio heading toward the Circus Maximus.

Not too far from the Coliseum is the “Mouth of Truth” which you will recognise if you’ve ever seen the film Roman Holiday, and over the bridge right near there is an area called Trastevere, which is a bit of an up and coming area, has nice little artisan shops and cafes, restaurants etc, good place to explore if you have the time.

Should you ever cross the Tiber near the castel St Angelo walk along to the next bridge along (Ponte Umberto), there is a place next to the river wall where you can get a traditional ice drink like a slush puppy but with hand-shaved ice and lots of exotic flavours, quite refreshing on a hot day (as is the ice cold peroni you can have as an alternative!)

The Pantheon is amazing as already mentioned, and near the Trevi Fountain, plus its near Piazza Navona, which is a nice place, full of artists and some nice renaissance architecture/fountains but don’t use the cafes restaurants etc – I think someone was recently charged 50 euros for an ice cream here!

If you are into your food and drink see if you can pass by one of the Castroni shops - its a great traditional shop with great products and a lovely coffee smell! http://www.castroni.it/

A left field suggestion for you - this is a weird place that I went to as a little kid and always remembered. Took my kids there too last year and they thought it was really interesting and not at all ghoulish!:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...ome_Lazio.html
    You have to be appropriately dressed (no bare shoulders that sort of thing, same as in St Peters), but it is something different!

I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you do!

Master
    Damn, I really should have booked a week and not a few days, your feedback is amazing and I am now very excited about going and maybe going back again.
    Thanks one and all, this is inspiring.

One word:

Giolitti

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    One word:

Giolitti
    Haha, had to Google that but it does sound like a place I really need to visit! Hmm, Gelato

Trastevere - That's the area we had lunch, some lovely little restaurants here.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    When you are inside the Pantheon, walk right to the back, stand still, (hope it goes quite for a minute - which wont last for long..!), take a long look up at the roof and then think about how ancient it is.

Yes, it's incredible (almost literally) to think that this was built by the ancient Romans - It looks about 18th Century!

M

Master
    I'm Italian, lived in Rome for a couple of years. I normally go back once every two years as my father lives there. I really didn't like living there however as a tourist can be mesmerising. My advice would be not to do too much. If you like it you can always go back, flights are cheap and there are plenty of accommodation options to suit every budget.
    Rome is a mess: 2500 years of history, art and culture being swallowed by concrete, smog and people.
    Some find it fascinating, others hate it.
    Get a feel for the place, if it is your cup of tea you'll definitely go back. Personally I would only eat "pizza al taglio" for a light lunch and find some good "trattoria" for dinner.
    I've never experienced any problems with pickpockets but again I was a local, tourists are probably seen as easy targets.
    If you are planning to do a lot of walking make sure you wear extremely comfortable shoes, the sanpietrini are a challenge even for marathon prone individuals.
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself, but as far as the rest of us are concerned, you're about 8-10,000 years out. We've certainly had wooden houses since then, because the remnants have been found, and stone houses for at least about 3,000 years before the Romans arrived.

By the time the Pantheon was built, southern Britain had been under Roman rule for about a hundred years, and far from being cave-dwellers, they (and we) lived in more or less modern villas and even blocks of flats.

Honeymooned in Rome 15 years ago. We walked everywhere - it is a relatively small city. Trevi Fountain is a must - quite breath-taking. Colosseum, Temple of Vesta, and the archeological sites are amazing. As an alternative to the Vatican, try the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. A wonderful church that is used - stunning architecture and a mesmerising statue of Mary with child.
    Be cautious of any restaurants near the tourist places. Some are complete rip-off merchants - poor food and expensive. We found some great places near the Montecitorio - Italian Parliament. Don't try and do too much, but enjoy the city. It is a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Speak for yourself, but as far as the rest of us are concerned, you're about 8-10,000 years out. We've certainly had wooden houses since then, because the remnants have been found, and stone houses for at least about 3,000 years before the Romans arrived.

By the time the Pantheon was built, southern Britain had been under Roman rule for about a hundred years, and far from being cave-dwellers, they (and we) lived in more or less modern villas and even blocks of flats.
    I don't think many 'Britons' lived in villas, maybe 'Romans' (a few who may have been 'Britons' originally) did, in Britain.

The average 'Briton' would have lived in something a lot closer to a mud hut.

That aside, the engineering of the Pantheon is almost beyond belief for its age.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think many 'Britons' lived in villas, maybe 'Romans' (a few who may have been 'Britons' originally) did, in Britain.

The average 'Briton' would have lived in something a lot closer to a mud hut.

That aside, the engineering of the Pantheon is almost beyond belief for its age.

M
    Thank you.

It is refreshing to know that some (hopefully most) can understand the point being made in my post, without feeling the need to be a pedant.
    Last edited by Maysie; 18th May 2016 at 13:57.

It is refreshing to know that some (hopefully most) can understand the point being made in my post, without feeling the need to be a pedant.
    Don't get upset. I just pointed out Britons weren't living in caves when the Romans arrived, that's all. That doesn't take anything away from the Pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Don't get upset. I just pointed out Britons weren't living in caves when the Romans arrived, that's all. That doesn't take anything away from the Pantheon.
    http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...orth-1-3915730

Thank you.

It is! But pedants should get things right. So perhaps he'd like to know (link):

"Only one percent of people in Roman Britain lived in villas."

"In the south-east Roman style country homes known as villas were established. In the north and west of Britain, few villas have been found."

As for not getting upset, didn't his post start with "Speak for yourself, but as far as the rest of us are concerned..."? That's hardly the voice of equanimity...
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th May 2016 at 15:05. Reason: Cut and paste correction

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Trastevere - That's the area we had lunch, some lovely little restaurants here.

M
    Couldn't agree more. The best area for super food at very good prices. Much better then the prime tourist areas, yet still easily reachable. Drinks can be expensive however, but that applies everywhere.

You would struggle to be bored in Rome IMO - the architecture and whole amosphere of the place is brilliant.

You'll love it.

Apologies OP, I didn't mean to start a squabble...

I was being facetious with my comment about living in caves, but it seems to have caused an upset.

The point I was trying to make is that the Pantheon is not only an amazing building, but is also a fantastic example of a form of construction which was well ahead of its time when compared with what other parts of the world were capable of achieving at a similar time.

I hope you enjoy Rome.

Out of interest:

If you can find a BBC programme call Rome’s Invisible City it's worth a watch. It's gone from iPlayer, but here's a sample:

Last edited by PickleB; 16th June 2016 at 23:07.

Craftsman
    taxi fares from the airports (fumicino, ciampino) to the city centre are fixed.
    city centre = inside the old Aurelian Walls
    see last page of doc linked for a map (I think the rates are still up to date, despite being 2012. In any case they should be clearly displayed in the taxi...)
    https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resou...uglio_2012.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    taxi fares from the airports (fumicino, ciampino) to the city centre are fixed.
    city centre = inside the old Aurelian Walls
    see last page of doc linked for a map (I think the rates are still up to date, despite being 2012. In any case they should be clearly displayed in the taxi...)
    https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resou...uglio_2012.pdf

See also: Taxi and Getting about town.

Master
    So, how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can find a BBC programme call Rome’s Invisible City it's worth a watch. It's gone from iPlayer, but here's a sample:

Just spotted that Rome’s Invisible City is on BBC1 at the moment...so it may return to iPlayer for a while.

How does the Italian totty compare? ;-)

Just spotted that Rome’s Invisible City is on BBC1 at the moment...so it may return to iPlayer for a while.
    And now there is this: Rome’s Invisible City Virtual Reality tour