closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glashutte original seventies vs Patek 5711 and SOTC

Glashutte original seventies vs Patek 5711 and SOTC

Well as some of you may know I finally got a 5711 this year. This piece has been much written about and photographed so u thought I'd show a quick comparison to the GO seventies which takes its inspiration from PP nautilus and AP Royal Oak.

Okay from the outset the shared DNA are- steel sports watches, date,non-round face, blue, bracelet, sunburst dials, 70's design. One is three times the cost of he other.

the 5711 is a lot slimmer and lighter.

The bracelet is the stuff of legend but will feel very light and not as secure as the GO. Of course it is but the GO bracelet is one of the best finished and robustly designed in its price range. You can see the difference in width here
    Both watches have a sunburst dial but the patek's is a much darker hue giving a more subtle dial tint range

One other large difference is the bezel. The GO effectively has a highly polished edging so you get the full 40mm size right there on the dial. Although the Patek is 43mm it wears smaller due to its bezel width and that the initial bezel surround is brushed not polished.

Both models have a crystal case back to enjoy the movements. The Patek wins hands down here but that's what you'd expect from them and at this price, however the GO is no slouch with an 18k gold rotor in their logo shape.

Yes, this has been a bit of a excuse to take some pictures and post but both watches have slot to celebrate and make a great pairing. The SOTC looks like this at the moment

And probably will for a while.

Hope you enjoyed reading

Craftsman
    Excellent collection there.........

Great comparison there, enjoyed them side by side. Out of nowhere pretty much, the Seventies range is a rival for the Nautilus, Royal Oak and Overseas range IMHO.

Built like a tank though!

Blog Entries
    A nice comparison and set of pictures. Thank you.

I don't think I've ever seen a Nautilus side-on!

Congratulations! Both very nice watches and a wonderful collection!

Craftsman
    Both are stunning pieces...great collection too! Space for one more!

Blog Entries
    I tried the G9 on in an airport and loved it...

If you had to chose between the two which would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I tried the G9 on in an airport and loved it...

If you had to chose between the two which would it be?
    The price difference is where they are apples and pears. Whether it's worth the price difference or not, if you can afford the best, buy the best. So if I could pick only one, it would be the nautilus

There maybe space for both in the collection for now as the GO does serve a slightly different use, it doesn't scream money and therefore can be worn wherever and whenever.

What could replace the GO? In the seventies price bracket it's only competition is probably a datejust 2- dress/sports (but not a diver) polished and adjustable bracelet. But that's not a watch currently on my wish list.

Master
    All lovely but the blank spaces in the box would get my OCD going.
    More watches or smaller box, hmmm....

5711 for me out of all of them but the GO is something I always fancy after they are shown on here.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Well as some of you may know I finally got a 5711 this year. This piece has been much written about and photographed so u thought I'd show a quick comparison to the GO seventies which takes its inspiration from PP nautilus and AP Royal Oak.

Okay from the outset the shared DNA are- steel sports watches, date,non-round face, blue, bracelet, sunburst dials, 70's design. One is three times the cost of he other.

the 5711 is a lot slimmer and lighter.

The bracelet is the stuff of legend but will feel very light and not as secure as the GO. Of course it is but the GO bracelet is one of the best finished and robustly designed in its price range. You can see the difference in width here
    Both watches have a sunburst dial but the patek's is a much darker hue giving a more subtle dial tint range

One other large difference is the bezel. The GO effectively has a highly polished edging so you get the full 40mm size right there on the dial. Although the Patek is 43mm it wears smaller due to its bezel width and that the initial bezel surround is brushed not polished.

Both models have a crystal case back to enjoy the movements. The Patek wins hands down here but that's what you'd expect from them and at this price, however the GO is no slouch with an 18k gold rotor in their logo shape.

Yes, this has been a bit of a excuse to take some pictures and post but both watches have slot to celebrate and make a great pairing. The SOTC looks like this at the moment

And probably will for a while.

Hope you enjoyed reading
    Great post. Great insight, thank you.

Craftsman
    Thanks for nice comparison 👍🏻

Thanks very much for the write up and the pics.

Apprentice

Glashutte original seventies vs Patek 5711 and SOTC

What a great pair of watches.