closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW - Jaeger-LeCoultre - Reverso Grand Date

Blog Entries

REVIEW - Jaeger-LeCoultre - Reverso Grand Date

I hope you enjoy reading this fairly short review with some pictures I have taken of this rather marvellous watch.

I stand to be corrected for any errors and omissions, but for technical details I have used the Jaeger-LeCoultre website as source for the movement details. The aesthetics impressions are my own opinions.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS
    Well. I haven't been able to take this watch off my wrist for nearly a week now, which for me is quite an accomplishment! And in essence I really really enjoy wearing this watch!

The first impression if I may use an analogue - is of a rather fine vintage bottle of wine. It's shape is distinct and shows characteristics of finesse and high grade workmanship. It's general appearance is definitely from the Art Deco period of design which gives it a somewhat timeless and already 'aged' quality.

THE MANUFACTURE
    Jaeger LeCoultre is apparently in the upper range of watch manufactures. History goes back to 1833 with Antoine-LeCoultre and in 1903 union with Jaeger. The company invents, designs, manufactures it's movements and is one of the few remaining Swiss to still do this complete end-to-end. The company has registered over 350 patents since the 19th century. The Jaeger-LeCoultre brand was formed in 1937 - the full history of the company is given in detail on their official website http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/m ... re/history - well worth a look.

CASE
    Here are some vital statistics of this - lozenge oblong cased

- 45mm lug-lug (across the wrist)
    - 25mm x 19mm - watch face (oblong)
    - 10mm height (edge) - tapering to 5mm (the movement is 5.3mm in height)
    - 30mm width excluding crown
    - 33mm width including crown
    - 5mm radius at edges

Stainless Steel

Water Resistance: 3 ATM

In practice looks like this:

FACE, MOVEMENT AND COMPLICATIONS

FACE:

Dial is silvered guilloché with black transferred numerals and Bâton hands

As can be seen the face has in addition to the hour and minute hand, patented large date complication with independent numerals, 8 day power reserve (Reserve 8 Jours) supplied by 2 barrels to quote, "guarantee 8 days power reserve and unfailing precision". Small second hand lower right.

MOVEMENT

Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre: 875
    28,800 vph
    Jewels: 25
    Barrel: 2
    Height: 5.30mm
    Hand wound 8 day pr

1000h tested and 3bar/atm - and states in the manual, "you can use your watch for short swims and when diving from the poolside but nor from a diving board. It must not be used either for scuba diving or for sports where there are significant risks of hard knocks, such as windsurfing and waterskiing. Please also note that leather straps are not suitable for aquatic activities."

This movement is really of finest quality and finished to perfection. It can be seen through the reversed crsytal cased back in reverse - so can be worn 'movement out' just for your viewing pleasure. Being manual wind means there is no automatic counter-weight covering up half the movement. Pure joy

REVERSO - FUNCTION
    First produced in 1931 to produce, "a watch capable of withstanding the hard knocks of a polo game" is the The Reverso Watch. This case design houses a number of Jaeger-LeCoultre calibres. It is designed to easily allow the whole case to be flipped over, without the need to remove the watch from the wrist. With a little practice this becomes easy to do.

QUALITY - FIT FORM FUNCTION (and COMFORT)
    The quality measured in Fit, Form, Function is excellent. I find the watch sits very comfortably on my wrist. Looking at various JLC forums I see others have found the relative thickness compared to other dimensions maybe uncomfortable. I have had no issues at all with this, even though my wrist is 6 3/4" - perhaps it is the flatness of my wrist I find I can wear it all day without issues.

As you can see it appear to me to fit just fine:

On the coldest days I have had to adjust the strap on the deployant by one hole. I was lucky to have it supplied with 2 straps - brown with white stiching or very dark blue to match the hands. I've only had a chance to wear on the brown so far.

FINAL NOTES
    I bought mine second hand at approximatetly -50% off MRP (originally bought in 2006). It came with full boxes and papers and valuation letter from 2009. I think second hand they are excellent value. Maybe rather expensive to buy from new, but even then - if you don't plan to sell then I would suggest JLC are excellent to buy. Properly serviced they will run happily for a lifetime and beyond. JLC promise to service any of their watches, however old, unlike some well know swiss brands!

I will be wearing mine all the times I need a stylish, reservedm unusual watch but not when swimming or for hard manual labour (just as I wouldn't wear my best leather shoes to dig the garden).

Subjective Scores

Movement 10/10
    Finish 10/10
    Value 8/10 - initial MRP high (but v good value if bought second hand)
    Flippability rating - 4/10 (10 being most probable to flip)
    Overall - 9/10

Hope you enjoyed this review. Here are some other close-up pics to finish with:

and a final wrist shot

Thanks for looking!!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Great stuff- good review, beautiful watch. Makes me want to have one. Wear it well

A beautiful watch!!!

Lovely watch & great review. I have a La Squadra which comes with a black rubber strap - I am not sure of the lug width but if you ever wanted a more modren look could always try one of those. Not that there is anything wrong with the look of the Reverso at the moment, just thought you would like the option - just as I am going to order a black croc strap for my La Squadra.

Very good close up shots and a good review of a watch I very much would like to own one day.

Absolutely beautiful photos!

Journeyman
    Very good reading and beautiful pictures.

Blog Entries
    Great photos
    Love the "Flippability rating"

Master
    Very nice review and brilliant watch :-)

Fantastic watch and very good pictures :)