closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone had dealings with "Motion in Time", NYC?

Anyone had dealings with "Motion in Time", NYC?

Hi,

they are on Chrono24 and Ebay plus have a brick and mortar business in New York (56 West 47th Street). Owner is David Shamayev, who also uses his Facebook and Google+ accounts to advertise watches. Didn't find any direct references on TZ-UK, TZ or WUS but have checked via Google Streetview that their shop is actually at the mentioned address.

Anyone any experience or knowledge of them?

Thanks very much

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Re: Anyone had dealings with "Motion in Time", NYC?

Was afraid I wouldn't get many responses. Let me describe my dilemma:

For a couple of months New York based "Motion in Time" have been offering my grail, a BNIB Grand Lange 1. I been circling that watch for quite a while now and have done some DD on them, going through all of their Ebay history, following them on Chrono24 etc. I even checked via Google Streetview that the shop is actually at the given address. Now I put in a "Best Offer" a good bit under their offer price, and they agreed!

At first I was very happy, finally my grail is going to move in. :D But then I started to do some extra research and stumbled across the following link, a list of customer reviews: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/152506909 ... e-new-york. Whilst the overwhelming majority of the posts is positive, I can't help but have the feeling that they are not authentic. They sound too happy, no criticism at all. But then there are a few really bad reviews inbetween, they paint a picture of the shop-owner as being someone who completely changes attitude once he has the customer's money. As I have met that attitude over and over with these sort of NY shop owners the negative reviews just sound more credible. But obviously these negative reviews could also have been written by their competitors. Anyhow, I am very unsure how to proceed.

I have not found any reference for them on TZ-UK, TZ or WUS. I googled them and found they have some positive mentionings over at rolexforums.com, I am however not a member there and don't know what to make of it.

Anyone some clever advice? I feel stupid for not having done the full dd before I put in my offer, should I back out now? I have never backed out of a deal before, but I am close to considering. What should I do?

Thanks for input.

Raffe

http://www.motionintime.com

Simple solution, collect the watch in person at the store. Considering the amount of money you are spending it'll be the best option.

Then if he is a penis at least you can tell him where to stick it when you walk out.

Yes, sounds like a great idea except for the fact that I won't have the time to fly a roundtrip to New York over the next three weeks or so.

Then it's all about the odds? You're hoping that the odds are in your favour and everything turns out ok? Or you get screwed once you give this guy your money...

Walk away. Theres always another.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty
    Then it's all about the odds? You're hoping that the odds are in your favour and everything turns out ok? Or you get screwed once you give this guy your money...

Walk away. Theres always another.
    Just found some refs on watchnet: First a bunch of good feedbacks http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t= ... order=DATE but then also this one http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t= ... v=&reveal= (this guy seems on some sort of crusade against Motion in Time, but as it appears for a good reason).

I think you summed it up nicely, its about the odds. I estimate 80-90% probability that it will go smoothly, but if it goes wrong I will regret it a lot. I will have to think some more but I am leaning towards walking.

I th
    I think the bad reviews well outweigh the good ones - and like you, I think the good reviews are written by friends and family.

I'd steer clear, and wouldn't even waste money flying out to the shop to check it out. That grail watch will come along at the right price sooner or later.

From that panerai feedback alone I would walk.

Walk away, any bad press from others, regardless of how much good press there is, is a sign that its not worth it!

Do you need the hassle because you are saving a few quid!?

Remember the golden rule : buy the seller not the watch.

The seller already appears to be a little sour, you don't want your grail watch soured as well.

I wouldnt even contemplate buying a watch from this guy after what I just read.

Master

I'll be there - staying one block over from his address, as it happens - for three weeks as of 23 July. If you want me to go and check it out for you, let me know.

I would be a little reluctant to buy something as valuable as a Lange from someone I wasn't 100% happy with. It doesn't sound dodgy in the sense you'll lose your cash, it's just I would want to be sure that there are no issues with warranty etc. Does he source them from an AD, with stamped & dated papers? Are you paying on credit card? What are the chances of you getting hit for tax anyway? Does he actually have the watch in stock?

I would rather make this sort of a purchase from within Europe, in person, preferably in my own country.

They are lovely watches, and his prices do seem tempting though :D :D

FWIW I've been in that shop and I have to say that it didn't have a very good vibe about it...

They have only positive reviews as of lately and I have been in contact with a recent buyer via Watchnet who says all was OK. i am thinking about taking Colin up on his offer, too good a deal to just throw it away. :?:

Which one are you going for, Raffe?

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    Which one are you going for, Raffe?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180571017229

Nice, eeh?

These are very, very classy. I'd be tempted by the rose gold/silver dial myself, but they all really are lovely. I actually prefer the simpler Lange 1's, to the more complicated, and more crowded versions (and these get really pricey, anyway).

As I said, his prices are very good, and that's about half UK RRP! I think you have to go for it!

That's a great price!

This particular model has been discontinued a couple of years, so not entirely fair to compare with 2012 list price. And I assume the warranty has expired, but that is OK with me. It will probably need a service within the first couple of years. But its a great price for a new watch and I WANT IT !!

Let me ask the guys on DWC, there is a large NYC membership there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe
    This particular model has been discontinued a couple of years, so not entirely fair to compare with 2012 list price. And I assume the warranty has expired, but that is OK with me. It will probably need a service within the first couple of years. But its a great price for a new watch and I WANT IT !!
    Even so, in terms of high-end bang-per-buck, that's a pretty special watch for the money. If you're not expecting a manufacturers warranty, then it makes the deal even more tempting IMO. And at that price, you could factor in (an expensive) service, and come away with a Lange warranty anyway!

His ebay feedback is 100%.

Bare in mind customers who have bad experiences tend to leave feedback online a,whilst the many positiive customers never bother doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Let me ask the guys on DWC, there is a large NYC membership there.
    DWC like The Disciplinary Wives Club? :)
    http://www.disciplinarywivesclub.com/abegin.htm

Thanks Ron, any info appreciated.
    Raffe

That's in the diamond district. I would not buy anything from that area. Many sellers there are very shifty and IF you have to, only do business with them in person (and with a credit card).

If anyone cares to know, it seems we are now canceling the transaction on Ebay. I can not acquaint myself with the thought of dealing unprotected with these guys (I considered Paypal for a moment, but they have a 10,000 Dollar transaction limit). The very negative feedbacks found on the web are still ringing in my ears and also some strange experience I made in an earlier life buying photographic equipment with similar places in New York.

Pity, I really love the watch and its a really good price, but as most have pointed out one needs to buy the seller first and that is not going to happen.

So long grail, I am sure we will meet again somewhere. :)

I know it's an old thread but I came across it when looking up Motion in Time. I also came across this article from the NY Post. Looks like it was a good idea to stay away from them.

Time’s up for used luxury watches: suit

Two luxury jewelers charge that everything old is new again at a Diamond District watch shop.
    Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels are suing Motion in Time for allegedly peddling used and refurbished models of their pricey timepieces — including one offered for nearly $85,000 — while claiming that they’re “brand new.”

The suit seeks to have Motion in Time surrender its entire inventory of Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels used watches “for destruction,” and also pay unspecified damages for unfair competition, false advertising and trademark dilution.

Court papers say an undercover agent went to the West 47th Street store and bought a purportedly new Cartier Tank Francaise ladies’ steel watch in August.

Although the watch came “in the distinctive Cartier red leather box,” complete with a manufacturer’s warranty card, an inspection revealed that it “was not new, but was instead used, damaged and refurbished,” according to the Manhattan federal court filing.

“In particular, Cartier’s inspection revealed that the crystal was glued into the case using a method or materials that differ from those used by Cartier,” the lawsuit claimed.

A Motion in Time employee declined to comment yesterday.