closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are ATMs disappearing?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Cash was my career for 40 years. Working in the banking industry from 1979 for a major bank, it saw me through my entire working life. There's a lot to the industry that people don't see or hear about. I could talk about it all day. It will never go away but volumes have gone off a cliff. One of the challenges to the industry is how to scale the decline. A young man in an AD in Manchester sold me a watch last year. He told me he never carries cash. He goes out every day with his phone and never struggles to pay for anything. That's what pretty much everyone of his genetation is doing.

In 1999 it was predicted that every adult in the UK would want £200 in cash in their pocket on New Years Eve. The Banks had a massive project to meet the expected demand. Thousands of extra cash sacks were sent out to branches and staff were put in place to feed the machines they were going into. It took months to organise. I was involved and saw thousands of bags packed and sent out in special millennium bags. How many came back two weeks later? All of them except two. One was used and the other opened by mistake. The writing was on the wall then, it's only gone one way since.
    If you don't mind me asking as you were at the coal face for 40 years..does electronic money change consumer behaviour? !s it easier for those seeking to sell us stuff to close the deal because the transaction is less conspicuous? What impact might this have on people getting into debt? Non stop consumption, a good- bad idea?
    Just because the younger generation think something is a good idea does that automatically translate to a societal good? What are the cons of electronic money?
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th April 2023 at 09:47.