closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Doxa Divers watches

Craftsman

Vintage Doxa Divers watches

Anyone on here either a vintage Doxa lover or indeed know much about them ? It seems there is a lot more love for them in the US and that they have been more widely ignored by watch enthusiasts here in the UK. I have a 70’s Sub 300T Sharkhunter and a similar period 600T Spirotechnique. Both totally different watches but steeped in diving history with the input of Jacques Cousteau who put the brand on the map back in the day.

There is lots of interest in vintage Doxa
    I think the modern Doxa tarnishes the brand a bit. I like them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There is lots of interest in vintage Doxa
    I think the modern Doxa tarnishes the brand a bit. I like them.
    I agree with you regarding the modern collection albeit they don’t look much different to my 50 year old piece which I guess is a bit of a compliment to the original.
    I searched for Doxa groups in the UK but couldn’t find any so guess I should look a bit harder.

Had quite a few over the years. Remember a time when they could be picked up sub £500.00 with the original BOR bracelets.

My last three including a Divingstar went to a collector in the US. Another collector bought all my spare bracelets and boxes. Wish I had a few now, although in fairness brought strong money at the time.

Still have a 600T Spiro. Occasionally think about revisiting but don’t think they are worth the price some are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I love vintage Doxa but they seem very expensive, maybe due to the rarity of good examples.

I wanted a vintage Sub 300 for a long time but couldnt stomach the prices being asked. In the end I purchased a new Sub 300 and have been quite happy.

Vintage 300Ts are cool too but are far too large for my wrists.

I blame Dirk Pitt!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No idea of current values - I've had this for about 15 years now

It came with it's original BOR bracelet, but it's slightly too small for my wrist, and TBH I prefer it on a nato, so I never tried to find any spare links. It was re-lumed by a previous owner, and I had it serviced around 6 years ago. At one time I had a few (see below), but everything else has been sold since this one. I guess I just prefer vintage

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    No idea of current values - I've had this for about 15 years now

It came with it's original BOR bracelet, but it's slightly too small for my wrist, and TBH I prefer it on a nato, so I never tried to find any spare links. It was re-lumed by a previous owner, and I had it serviced around 6 years ago. At one time I had a few (see below), but everything else has been sold since this one. I guess I just prefer vintage

Wow, that was some collection you had there ! Did you ever keep the bracelet ?
    These are my 2. The Sharkhunter is on a cheapish aftermarket bracelet but looks ok and the puffy lume looks great on the 600T. Just need to find a new stem for the Spirotechnique as it slips occasionally when manually winding but can’t find a replacement part for love nor money !!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Had quite a few over the years. Remember a time when they could be picked up sub £500.00 with the original BOR bracelets.

My last three including a Divingstar went to a collector in the US. Another collector bought all my spare bracelets and boxes. Wish I had a few now, although in fairness brought strong money at the time.

Still have a 600T Spiro. Occasionally think about revisiting but don’t think they are worth the price some are asking.

To be fair, not really knowing the value of either of my 2 pieces led me to give strong money for both but I liked them sufficiently to have a punt. There’s a Spiro on Chrono currently at £3891 that looks pretty mint. Just need to find a replacement crown/stem for mine as it slips a bit under manual winding but seem to have more chance of seeing a flying pig !!

My old one.

Newer one.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    Anyone on here either a vintage Doxa lover or indeed know much about them ? It seems there is a lot more love for them in the US and that they have been more widely ignored by watch enthusiasts here in the UK. I have a 70’s Sub 300T Sharkhunter and a similar period 600T Spirotechnique. Both totally different watches but steeped in diving history with the input of Jacques Cousteau who put the brand on the map back in the day.
    Is it true that they are now owned by the Jenny family (original owners) once again? I mean now they are milking the old cow, but in the end, it is as everything else around us I suppose.

Does this mean anything for the modern Doxa?

I am seriously considering my first Doxa. I am looking closely at a Professional Sub 300. Not sure about the bracelet, which extends past the 20mm lugs for the first links.

I like its bubble crystal, small dial and thin profile.

Any advice for a Doxa newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Is it true that they are now owned by the Jenny family (original owners) once again? I mean now they are milking the old cow, but in the end, it is as everything else around us I suppose.

Does this mean anything for the modern Doxa?

I am seriously considering my first Doxa. I am looking closely at a Professional Sub 300. Not sure about the bracelet, which extends past the 20mm lugs for the first links.

I like its bubble crystal, small dial and thin profile.

Any advice for a Doxa newbie?
    Regarding ownership, if I’m not mistaken, it did not really change hands recently, it is just that someone else (the person who revived the brand essentially, had paid for the rights to use the brand or something like that for a given amount of time, and it expired fairly recently, which pushed him outside of the picture).

The sub300 is fairly thin and wears very well, the bracelet is thinner and lighter than the sub300T, and wraps around the wrist nicely, one of the most comfortable bracelets I have tried, amongst many others. The endlinks do not really extend, to what is essentially a very short lug to lug distance for the case, so no need to worry.

The sub300T has a much heavier and thicker bracelet, on this version the endlinks are a bit more proeminent and are less elegant on smaller wrists.
    It is built like a tank though and feels like it!

Cannot go wrong with a sub300, it wears like a charm, and has plenty of character. Enjoy!

Edit: just realised you were on about the width of the first link being greater than the endlink, my bad!
    If it is a deal breaker for you, have a look at yobokies, I believe I read somewhere they make a bracelet for doxa «*the old way), which does not get wider at the first link

I love my old 300T. I bought it around 10 years ago and I think it’s pretty much untouched since new but I love a bit of patina. Came with the BOR but I much prefer NATO straps.

I’ve no idea what these are worth now, I think I paid about £500 or taking a punt from a lady in the US who found it at a yard sale for a few $’s and flipped it on another forum.

Last edited by Max...; 8th November 2022 at 07:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    I love my old 300T. I bought it around 10 years ago and I think it’s pretty much untouched since new but I love a bit of patina. Came with the BOR but I much prefer NATO straps.

I’ve no idea what these are worth now, I think I paid about £500 or taking a punt from a lady in the US who found it at a yard sale for a few $’s and flipped it on another forum.

That was an absolute bargain and the orange dial really makes the watch. I could certainly see it in my collection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    To be fair, not really knowing the value of either of my 2 pieces led me to give strong money for both but I liked them sufficiently to have a punt. There’s a Spiro on Chrono currently at £3891 that looks pretty mint. Just need to find a replacement crown/stem for mine as it slips a bit under manual winding but seem to have more chance of seeing a flying pig !!
    My Spiro very occasionally slips too but has had a replacement stem and crown at some point. Still have the original bits but if you are ever looking for anyone to sort or have a look at it for you in the future, I can recommend Stefan at Vintage Watch Fever.

Gratuitous shot of mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Regarding ownership, if I’m not mistaken, it did not really change hands recently, it is just that someone else (the person who revived the brand essentially, had paid for the rights to use the brand or something like that for a given amount of time, and it expired fairly recently, which pushed him outside of the picture).

The sub300 is fairly thin and wears very well, the bracelet is thinner and lighter than the sub300T, and wraps around the wrist nicely, one of the most comfortable bracelets I have tried, amongst many others. The endlinks do not really extend, to what is essentially a very short lug to lug distance for the case, so no need to worry.

The sub300T has a much heavier and thicker bracelet, on this version the endlinks are a bit more proeminent and are less elegant on smaller wrists.
    It is built like a tank though and feels like it!

Cannot go wrong with a sub300, it wears like a charm, and has plenty of character. Enjoy!

Edit: just realised you were on about the width of the first link being greater than the endlink, my bad!
    If it is a deal breaker for you, have a look at yobokies, I believe I read somewhere they make a bracelet for doxa «*the old way), which does not get wider at the first link
    Thanks for your much appreciated reply.

I wasn't aware that the 300 has a thinner bracelet than the 300T, which I certainly prefer. I will check out Yobokies. Bought many Seiko aftermarket parts for my Seiko's from Harold, many years ago. Still I would wait and try it out for a few days in person, to see whether it bothers me so much in real life.

One last question, is the movement still an 'Elabore' grade 2824 which has been adjusted to within COSC and certified as such, or is the movement a 'Chronometer' grade 2824 to start with? It is not listed anywhere to be of Superior grade to the 300T. I have become a bit weary of large brands' wording. At the price, it would be a let down to have the same movement as in the 300T, simply more finely adjusted.

Also, anyone hear ever owned Squale? Is the 300 a better finished watch than a 1521 and worth the premium? The Squale can be had for half the price, so nothing to sneeze at.

I wasn't aware that the 300 has a thinner bracelet than the 300T, which I certainly prefer. I will check out Yobokies. Bought many Seiko aftermarket parts for my Seiko's from Harold, many years ago. Still I would wait and try it out for a few days in person, to see whether it bothers me so much in real life.

One last question, is the movement still an 'Elabore' grade 2824 which has been adjusted to within COSC and certified as such, or is the movement a 'Chronometer' grade 2824 to start with? It is not listed anywhere to be of Superior grade to the 300T. I have become a bit weary of large brands' wording. At the price, it would be a let down to have the same movement as in the 300T, simply more finely adjusted.

Also, anyone hear ever owned Squale? Is the 300 a better finished watch than a 1521 and worth the premium? The Squale can be had for half the price, so nothing to sneeze at.
    As far as I am aware, the sub 300 has a cosc regulated 2824-2, probably élaboré grade as you said if not standard, rather than a top grade + cosc.

I would not necessarily say doxa is a «*value proposition*», regarding the movement anyway.
    But then again, nothing looks like a doxa, nothing wears like it, and it is a very cool watch.

The 1521 is a very good watch too, and much more affordable for sure. Very different that being said, skin diver case and style.
    I had a couple, they wear nicely and wrap around the wrist, but found them a bit top heavy, and the bezel action will not be the highlight of the watch…

Both are different enough to be in the same collection I reckon ;)

Master
    This is cool but was over 5000 euros from memory.

http://www.db1983.com/vintage-watche...thin-case-1967

What's a 300T from '67 going for these days?

Master

Maybe just me but im not sure a Squale can be compared to a Doxa Sub 300? I know which one I'd rather have on my wrist that is for sure. The Doxa isnt exactly poorly finished and the movement is absolutely fine on a watch of this price range. Used Sub 300s are pretty reasonable in my book.

The Sub 300 bracelet is extremely well made and comfortable but the wider end link did look a bit strange to my eye whenI first got the watch. I picked up a Yobokies bracelet to see what it looked like and initially I was much happier with the look but in the end, due to the inferior quality of the Yobokies, I switched back to the Doxa bracelet. The extra taper is something you get used to pretty quickly actually.

Here is a pic of the Yobokies fitted.

Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 8th November 2022 at 11:23.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    My Spiro very occasionally slips too but has had a replacement stem and crown at some point. Still have the original bits but if you are ever looking for anyone to sort or have a look at it for you in the future, I can recommend Stefan at Vintage Watch Fever.

Gratuitous shot of mine.

Many thanks for the info. If I have no joy with my Watchmaker then I’ll definitely make contact with Stefan.
    Your Spiro is stunning and certainly looks like it’s had a much easier life than mine. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    What's a 300T from '67 going for these days?
    I can see what they are advertised for on sites like Chrono24, and the prices do seem optimistic. Whether they are actually selling for these prices - who knows?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    As far as I am aware, the sub 300 has a cosc regulated 2824-2, probably élaboré grade as you said if not standard, rather than a top grade + cosc.

I would not necessarily say doxa is a «*value proposition*», regarding the movement anyway.
    But then again, nothing looks like a doxa, nothing wears like it, and it is a very cool watch.

The 1521 is a very good watch too, and much more affordable for sure. Very different that being said, skin diver case and style.
    I had a couple, they wear nicely and wrap around the wrist, but found them a bit top heavy, and the bezel action will not be the highlight of the watch…

Both are different enough to be in the same collection I reckon ;)
    Thanks for reply :)

Well at 2K+ Euro, I'd want a top grade 2824.

I will keep researching before I decide. I'm already over my self imposed limit of 10 watches, so will have to choose wisely ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Maybe just me but im not sure a Squale can be compared to a Doxa Sub 300? I know which one I'd rather have on my wrist that is for sure. The Doxa isnt exactly poorly finished and the movement is absolutely fine on a watch of this price range. Used Sub 300s are pretty reasonable in my book.

The Sub 300 bracelet is extremely well made and comfortable but the wider end link did look a bit strange to my eye whenI first got the watch. I picked up a Yobokies bracelet to see what it looked like and initially I was much happier with the look but in the end, due to the inferior quality of the Yobokies, I switched back to the Doxa bracelet. The extra taper is something you get used to pretty quickly actually.

Here is a pic of the Yobokies fitted.

I'm not convinced of the bracelet.

But buying a 2K+ watch and fitting a 100 Dollar aftermarket bracelet seems a little bit wrong to me.

PS: Beautiful watch. Love that crystal. One does not see it on too many other modern watches!

Thanks for reply :)

Well at 2K+ Euro, I'd want a top grade 2824.

I will keep researching before I decide. I'm already over my self imposed limit of 10 watches, so will have to choose wisely ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced of the bracelet.

But buying a 2K+ watch and fitting a 100 Dollar aftermarket bracelet seems a little bit wrong to me.

PS: Beautiful watch. Love that crystal. One does not see it on too many other modern watches!
    If you are not against it, I suggest you go second hand for a sub300, that will get you closer to 1500