closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mosquitos in the UK - Do You Get Them?

Hybrid View

Midgies were a pain as I stood at the bus stop on the rare wind-free days up here. I started drinking a lot of bitter lemon and they would leave me alone as it contains quinine, and move onto the others in the queue. Many people would advise me that It was tonic water that containe quinine and not bitter lemon. As quinine was mentioned on the label of the bitter lemon bottle proving them wrong wasn't a problem.

A few years on I have been told not to drink fizzy drinks, so I either find somewhere that there is the slightest zephyr or slap on some Avon Skin So Soft, which is sworn by in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Midgies were a pain as I stood at the bus stop on the rare wind-free days up here. I started drinking a lot of bitter lemon and they would leave me alone as it contains quinine, and move onto the others in the queue. Many people would advise me that It was tonic water that containe quinine and not bitter lemon. As quinine was mentioned on the label of the bitter lemon bottle proving them wrong wasn't a problem.

A few years on I have been told not to drink fizzy drinks, so I either find somewhere that there is the slightest zephyr or slap on some Avon Skin So Soft, which is sworn by in these parts.
    Use of quinine sounds unlikely - people probably confusing the malaria parasite (which quinine is used against) and the mosquitoes themselves.

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 from respiration so agree carbonated drinks likely not a good idea.

Living in Taipei they are 2nd nature, most active around dawn and dusk, if going out around then often I wear socks as they seem to prefer to bite the ankle region. We have mesh on all windows and screen doors, if you go out you prepare everyone and then open the mesh door - all charge out and immediately close the mesh door to hopefully stop any going in. If you are coming home you check around the door first before opening it to try to prevent intruders.

Worst thing of all is one gets in your bedroom at night and does the high pitched buzz in your ear. It is amazing the number of people who get 1-2 hrs sleep a night as a single mozzie can destroy any chances of sleeping until you kill it.

Living in Norfolk I have never seen one let alone been bitten by one, horse flies mind - those are bloody nasty bitey things.
    Last edited by eldrich; 8th July 2022 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    Living in Taipei they are 2nd nature, most active around dawn and dusk, if going out around then often I wear socks as they seem to prefer to bite the ankle region. We have mesh on all windows and screen doors, if you go out you prepare everyone and then open the mesh door - all charge out and immediately close the mesh door to hopefully stop any going in. If you are coming home you check around the door first before opening it to try to prevent intruders.

Worst thing of all is one gets in your bedroom at night and does the high pitched buzz in your ear. It is amazing the number of people who get 1-2 hrs sleep a night as a single mozzie can destroy any chances of sleeping until you kill it.

Living in Norfolk I have never seen one let alone been bitten by one, horse flies mind - those are bloody nasty bitey things.
    I remember mozzies at at a hotel in Beccles (backs on the river) doing that buzz, maybe they're scared of Norfolk side?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Use of quinine sounds unlikely - people probably confusing the malaria parasite (which quinine is used against) and the mosquitoes themselves.

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 from respiration so agree carbonated drinks likely not a good idea.
    Perhaps it was just coincidence, but my colleague, who also queues at the bus stop with me, bemoaned how he was getting bitten whilst I was being left alone. Since I have stopped drinking bitter lemon the midges have now found me again as a likely target.

Agreed that CO2 is the attractant, but the carbonated drinks advice came from the consultant and was due to a stomach disorder.