closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shark Mesh Straps

Shark Mesh Straps

I will hopefully close a deal on a Steinhart OVM 42mm today, and I want to get a shark mesh strap for it.

I've no experience with shark mesh or Gecko, so I wondered if this was a good strap: https://www.watchgecko.com/shark-mesh-watch-strap.

Are there any quirks with the shark mesh? Not sure if it'll have a lot of flex, and it might scratch the lugs with the way it secures to the spring bars?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's all about the quality - the cheaper ones can flex a lot and can have cheap ends that run the risk of lug damage. I never noticed either with my Omega one and the one you've linked looks quite nice and very similar in mesh construction.

I have had several from Watch Gecko and been pleased with them, sometimes I found it useful to lightly polish the sides if the straps as they can snag in woven cuffs, pullovers, and the like.

Ive worn my L.L.D. on one of those straps for about 5 years now.

Great straps, nice and comfy, not as good as a Staib or similar, but for the money ..they are great.

I’ve got a couple in stainless steel and PVD. Extremely comfortable especially when comparing to my Squale mesh which rubs on my wrist bone. No issues with marking on the lugs for me personally.

They seem to have increased in price. Last one was £60.00 from memory and was fortunate to receive a 20% off offer.

Certainly recommend them and brilliant service.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive not tried Gekota but can echo valley - Staib are top notch

Thanks for the responses, I feel a lot more comfortable with giving shark mesh a shot now!

Are there any alternatives to Gecko I should consider other than Stainb?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I feel a lot more comfortable with giving shark mesh a shot now!

Are there any alternatives to Gecko I should consider other than Stainb?
    a brand called vollmer

i have both Staib and Gecko - equally good quality
    Keith

Have u checked if steinhart still make one, it is pretty good and has engraved logo on clasp

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Have u checked if steinhart still make one, it is pretty good and has engraved logo on clasp
    Yep, the steinhart one is well made. Bought mine several years ago. Came in 3 different sizes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    That's a very good shout, I had a look at their site but I can only see a Milanese model unless i'm going blind?

Now I'm not sure if I want Milanese or shark mesh

Last edited by Kitsan; 6th July 2022 at 20:39.

Master
    The very best quality is provided by Staib. They are excellent. The steel stuff is round the £100-200 mark but they also designed the titanium bracelet on the NTTD seamster and that is circa £800. If it is good enough for Omega...

How does one size a mesh strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Some have links to unscrew, some need to be cut with a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    How does one size a mesh strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With basic straps you use a Dremel!
    Others have removable sections, either mesh or solid links.

I have a brushed Gecko mesh that I bought for my flightmaster. The quality is top notch, the comfort is fantastic, it just looks sh1t on the flightmaster.
    Same for my Sharkmaster 600, bought it thinking that what I want a Ploprof style watch on a mesh, looks sh1t on my wrist. I am still looking to by an original 600 Ploprof but it will be on an isofrane. Love a mesh strap in photos, looks cr@p on my wrist. For me it’s a combination of no taper, so it’s quite a strong (overbearing) look, combined with my arm hair poking through. Not a combination I have warmed to.

Master
    I have a cheap (but very good) one on a TST - I used side cutter to trim it to size
    I prefer this look to the ones with the solid ends

IMG_1654 by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I have a cheap (but very good) one on a TST - I used side cutter to trim it to size
    I prefer this look to the ones with the solid ends

IMG_1654 by biglewie, on Flickr
    Where'd you get that, Lewie? :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Where'd you get that, Lewie? :-)

I ‘think’ eBay - came from china I’ve had it quite a few years - if I remember it was ridiculously cheap - I’ve a 24mm one too on my Aqualand

I've had a couple of the cheapo ebay ones that need to be cut, really liked them for just a few quid and also prefer the naked look of the ends of them. The only real issue is that you know you're getting a sh**ty clasp.

Master
    Not sure I call the clasps si**t
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Blog Entries
    My prob is getting one, without extension pieces, that is big enough!

I need it to be a 19.5cm length.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not sure I call the clasps si**t
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Fair dos, that is better than the pressed crap I've had!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    My prob is getting one, without extension pieces, that is big enough!

I need it to be a 19.5cm length.
    Cousins have extra long mesh straps for only £4.50 + VAT (or they were when I last bought one). Code B54014. Very good quality

Only downside (which is fine for my use of them) is that they have 'hook' or 'grip' clasps, not a three-fold clasp. I.e. they are two part straps rather than bracelets. Still very firm and strong though.

Ah, here's their image.

They have them in different widths and colours.

The idiot I was buying the Steinhart off decided to relist it and sold it in the USA without telling me, even though we'd agreed to a price, and I was waiting for him to confirm postage.

Honestly, it was to get a feel for a milsub and if I enjoyed the aesthetic rather than to keep it. I think I'll continue on the path of building my own again, and this information will be helpful for that, so thanks again!
    Last edited by Kitsan; 9th July 2022 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    The idiot I was buying the Steinhart off decided to relist it and sold it in the USA without telling me, even though we'd agreed to a price, and I was waiting for him to confirm postage.

Honestly, it was to get a feel for a milsub and if I enjoyed the aesthetic rather than to keep it. I think I'll continue on the path of building my own again, and this information will be helpful for that, so thanks again!
    I know these have been suggested before, but maybe try WMT watches.
    They have the Milsub aesthetic nailed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Cousins have extra long mesh straps for only £4.50 + VAT (or they were when I last bought one). Code B54014. Very good quality

Only downside (which is fine for my use of them) is that they have 'hook' or 'grip' clasps, not a three-fold clasp. I.e. they are two part straps rather than bracelets. Still very firm and strong though.

Ah, here's their image.

They have them in different widths and colours.
    I have a similar design mesh strap (can't remember where I bought it) and I really like it for warmer weather for exactly this clasp design. If it starts to feel a little snug, simply flip up the little "clamping lever" on the bar section of the clasp with a suitable tool (screwdriver, tip of a knife, pen lid, strong finger nail?!) and micro-adjust by 1-2mm. Same in reverse if required.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    I have a similar design mesh strap (can't remember where I bought it) and I really like it for warmer weather for exactly this clasp design. If it starts to feel a little snug, simply flip up the little "clamping lever" on the bar section of the clasp with a suitable tool (screwdriver, tip of a knife, pen lid, strong finger nail?!) and micro-adjust by 1-2mm. Same in reverse if required.
    Yes, I too like the ease of adjustment with these.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 10th July 2022 at 06:08.