closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf in Essex

Craftsman

Golf in Essex

Hi

Me and 4 friends are looking to leave our retrospective clubs and are looking to join a club together, neither of the existing clubs are suitable

We are looking for a progressive modern club that’s not full of moldy smelling Wing Commanders and ex politicians

We have emailed a whole host of clubs today to see what’s on offer, the clubs with the most to offer and most enthusiastic replies so far seem to be

Colne Valley
    Warley Park
    The Burstead

I have played Colne loads and a couple of the others have played Warley quite a bit so we know they are both nice

We are a bit spread out so we have discounted a few on distance limitations and we have capped the fee at £1500pa, ideally we would like to be nearer £1000

Once we have a shortlist of 4-5 we will play them and see what’s what

We are all paid up to April at our own clubs so we have a while to sort this out

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations

Cheers

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk it
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 4th January 2022 at 18:20.

I am not in your area, but have friends in a similar situation.
    It might depend on how much you want to play in the winter but how well courses drain can be significant.
    A couple of friends got a 'good value' deal at a club only to find that effectively it wasn't such a good deal when you divided the annual fee by nine as the course was closed for 12 weeks of the year.
    How easy it is to get tee times would be another consideration, too many clubs have the best tee times taken by the same cliques every week.

Craftsman
    Hi Kevin

We have discounted few courses already that don’t drain well and turn into bogs in the winter

And yes the cliques are always a problem but that’s what I’m
    hoping to find out from this post, over the years I have been on both sides of this problem

My current club does not have this problem but others I have been at most certainly have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be worth a PM to wildheart of this parish. He is very knowledgeable about golf in the county.

My wife and myself have been members of Warley Park for several years now and can recommend joining.
    The new owners (Get Golfing) have ploughed a lot of money into the front nine holes which means the front nine has some temporary tees.
    The course has three nines so it’s best just to miss the front nine until it’s fully open.
    Once open it will have two completely new holes and full drainage implemented so it will be great to play.
    It’s a great course to play, loads of elevation which is good for your fitness.
    The clubhouse is going to be hugely expanded and an elevated decking area built overlooking the 18th par 3.
    I’ve played all over Essex and it’s a good course and will only get better.
    Two other courses that are favourites of mine are Burstead GC and Crondon Park.
    If you do join Warley let me know and we’ll look out for you.

Craftsman
    I was a member at The Warren for years and can recommend highly. It’s a decent course (I’d say top 10 in Essex) and really good friendly membership. Depends where in Essex you’re looking at tbh

Craftsman
    Also of the 3 you mention I’d say Colne Valley is the best track but the holes down by the river (rather unsurprisingly) get really wet during the winter.

Craftsman

Golf in Essex

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    My wife and myself have been members of Warley Park for several years now and can recommend joining.
    The new owners (Get Golfing) have ploughed a lot of money into the front nine holes which means the front nine has some temporary tees.
    The course has three nines so it’s best just to miss the front nine until it’s fully open.
    Once open it will have two completely new holes and full drainage implemented so it will be great to play.
    It’s a great course to play, loads of elevation which is good for your fitness.
    The clubhouse is going to be hugely expanded and an elevated decking area built overlooking the 18th par 3.
    I’ve played all over Essex and it’s a good course and will only get better.
    Two other courses that are favourites of mine are Burstead GC and Crondon Park.
    If you do join Warley let me know and we’ll look out for you.

Thank you

So far Warley have “wanted” us the most they have been the most open and welcoming

And will defiantly look you up

Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 4th January 2022 at 21:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    Also of the 3 you mention I’d say Colne Valley is the best track but the holes down by the river (rather unsurprisingly) get really wet during the winter.

I love it, the only issue is it’s just a little further out, although 2 of our group are currently at The Essex

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I was a member at The Warren for years and can recommend highly. It’s a decent course (I’d say top 10 in Essex) and really good friendly membership. Depends where in Essex you’re looking at tbh

Thanks, I have played it many times, but I can’t say I love the track, but it’s defiantly on the list to consider

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Thank you

So far Warley have “wanted” us the most they have been the most open and welcoming

And will defiantly look you up

By the time you would join the front nine will be fully open. The new 8th 150yd elevated par 3 is going to a great hole…especially for nearest the pin and dare I say the odd hole in one!
    Mention Mick and Donna Walker to Paul and he will take extra care of you

I’m not a serious golfer but know several, Toot Hill seems to be the club most rate https://www.toothillgolfclub.co.uk/

Craftsman

Golf in Essex

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I’m not a serious golfer but know several, Toot Hill seems to be the club most rate https://www.toothillgolfclub.co.uk/
    Toot hill is great but it has moved to a pay and play model, you pay your £150 a year which gives you your handicap and priority booking and the you pay a green fee from there

Shame really, saying that I’m
    Playing there Sunday

Toot hill is great but it has moved to a pay and play model, you pay your £150 a year which gives you your handicap and priority booking and the you pay a green fee from there

Shame really, saying that I’m
    Playing there Sunday

People seem to like Manor of groves, Cannons Brook and and Great Hadham all near me

Master
    Warley is a good choice, I'm not a member but like the course. The Warren as mentioned is worth a look and also has other facilities with a gym, pool and decent food if that's important. I'm a member of the gym there and have friends that are golf members. Finally I'd look at South Essex, nice course and newish Toptracer range. Seem to be improving and spending money on upgrading.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

+1 to message Wildheart. He is a top notch golfer and will likely have played almost every course in Essex. He knows a lot about golf.

From my more limited knowledge, the Warren, Benton Hall, The Essex and Stock Brook are all good.

Master
    You should come and visit us in Hertfordshire… much better courses ;-)

I feel your pain with the whole cliquey / stuffy thing. Thankfully my club is modernising rapidly and I think many others are following suit. Long may that continue.

I’m sure you’ll find the right place, enjoy testing them all out!

Hi

Me and 4 friends are looking to leave our retrospective clubs and are looking to join a club together, neither of the existing clubs are suitable

We are looking for a progressive modern club that’s not full of moldy smelling Wing Commanders and ex politicians

We have emailed a whole host of clubs today to see what’s on offer, the clubs with the most to offer and most enthusiastic replies so far seem to be

Colne Valley
    Warley Park
    The Burstead

I have played Colne loads and a couple of the others have played Warley quite a bit so we know they are both nice

We are a bit spread out so we have discounted a few on distance limitations and we have capped the fee at £1500pa, ideally we would like to be nearer £1000

Once we have a shortlist of 4-5 we will play them and see what’s what

We are all paid up to April at our own clubs so we have a while to sort this out

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations

Cheers

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk it
    All nice clubs Stephen. Burstead is short with lots of ditches, which infuriate the long hitters in the summer. It does get very wet in the winter. Lovely club house, very friendly.
    Warley has 3 nine holes, the Childerditch 9 is very hilly with elevated views of the Thames estuary, its quite a challenge. They have spent a fair bit on the club house. Food and staff are very nice. Not as wet as Burstead in the winter.
    Colne Valley is a favourite of mine. Great little club house, nice and friendly. But very wet in the winter due to a river running through the back nine. Tough little course real gem of a course.

I'm joining Burnham this year as I want something different from my golf. PM me if you want anymore details. Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by wildheart; 5th January 2022 at 16:49.

Craftsman

Golf in Essex

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    All nice clubs Stephen. Burstead is short with lots of ditches, which infuriate the long hitters in the summer. It does get very wet in the winter. Lovely club house, very friendly.
    Warley has 3 nine holes, the Childerditch 9 is very hilly with elevated views of the Thames estuary, its quite a challenge. They have spent a fair bit on the club house. Food and staff are very nice. Not as wet as Burstead in the winter.
    Colne Valley is a favourite of mine. Great little club house, nice and friendly. But very wet in the winter due to a river running through the back nice. Tough little course real gem of a course.

I'm joining Burnham this year as I want something different from my golf. PM me if you want anymore details. Good luck with your choice.
    Thank you, I hadn’t quite got round to
    Messaging you

Burnham is a favourite of mine but just too far as we have a pal who will
    Be coming from Puckeridge

We will have rounds are 4-5 and decide but there are clubs that are defiantly making the effort and others that haven’t even replied which is weird, I guess they are at capacity