closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives for part-exing at big chain jewellers

Journeyman

Question Alternatives for part-exing at big chain jewellers

Good morning all,

I have come to an agreement with myself to let go of my "main" watch (I don't own a huge collection of luxury watches, as much as I'd love to!) as I never really bonded with it.

Just to set the record straight, I'm not dressing this up as a for sale thread, I don't have enough posts to post there and I may never as I'm more of an observer here than contributor which I'm totally comfortable with. For that reason I won't say what I want to part exchange just in case I could be accused of such!

And so my main point is, I ideally want to part exchange this watch for one of my all-time favourites which is the Omega Seamaster 300M (specifically white dialled). Now, I went into Goldsmiths originally and tried on the Omega which confirmed my desire to make the trade. My concern with this is that I'll get strung both ways, one for the weak offer for my current watch and two, their RRP pricing on the Omega. I know the Omega is available elsewhere new for a decent discount. I'd also be more than happy with a second hand Seamaster, something which Goldsmiths don't deal in.

I don't think I'm penny-pinching, I'm not after saving every single penny I can but if we're talking hundreds of pounds surely it's worth it. Besides the RRP on my watch has increased a fair bit since my purchase. I suppose I'd also prefer to do trade with more independent businesses.

Does anyone have any jewellers they have used before and can recommend that might be able to help with this? I'm located in Berkshire, ideally local to here but will travel. Or should I just bite the bullet and go with Goldsmiths or eBay my watch and find a nice second-hand Omega.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer!

The best discount seems to be James at Robin Henry Watches for Omega. I'd see if he can do a deal both ways on yours.

Also take a look at the WTB section, someone might want what you have and that doesn't break any rules.

Master
    Try CS Bedfords in Ruislip, not too far away depending on where you are in Berks. They no longer are an Omega AD but can still source watches at a discount and no doubt take in whatever you have in px.

Ask for Steve or Rob 01895 632100, dealt with them for years, brilliant family run independent.

Master
    Several of the big players (Watchfinder, Subdial, Parker’s) will send you a prepaid special
    delivery bag to send your watch to them (insured too). Contact those guys for some quotes and go from there. Then take the cash and buy the Omega new from wherever you can get a good discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Several of the big players (Watchfinder, Subdial, Parker’s) will send you a prepaid special
    delivery bag to send your watch to them (insured too). Contact those guys for some quotes and go from there. Then take the cash and buy the Omega new from wherever you can get a good discount.
    This is defiantly the easiest option, plus one of these dealers may even have the watch you want so you can pre agree a px deal against your watch.

Apprentice
    Speak to WatchTrader. If their quote to buy isn’t high enough, see if they would be willing to sell your watch on consignment. That’s the route I went down and got the higher price I was after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely making an individual sale achieves so much more for the disposal half of the deal, and it frees up the other half to make a better deal there too.
    PMing the WTB posts here is a start, as previously stated.
    But also Chrono24 is an option if you do not have the right feedback on an ebay account.
    Both have fees to pay, but a lot less than any dealer margin might be

Master
    Some good advice. I would say definitely don’t trade into Goldsmiths as their price for part ex will be derisory. I’ve even been told that by their staff in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarytea View Post
    I'd also be more than happy with a second hand Seamaster, something which Goldsmiths don't deal
    Pre-owned Omega here. Not sure whether they are at specific branches or held centrally:

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/Watch...re-Owned+Omega