closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finally shrunk the 'collection'.....hard work

Master

Finally shrunk the 'collection'.....hard work

I seem to have got down to three watches, from a peak of about ten. It's been quite hard to sell some stuff, but I slowly managed it.
    I've had some 'posh' stuff such as the 5711 and ceramic Daytona. Somehow I gravitate to simpler, less costly models.
    Anyway, here are the three survivors from my reign of terror:
    A Rolex...of course. But I wanted just one. Not the Daytona or SD43. The humble Datejust, in the least expensive version.
    This, for my taste, is 'essence of Rolex' and I'm a sucker for the new Jubilee bracelet. Just love it. My partner likes this watch best, mind you, she's now got more watches than me.
    Anyway, next, got to be a chrono. My favourite type of watch, probably. I sold the Daytonas, where I feel I rather swallowed the hype. Mind you , you can't complain at the residuals. Another favourite has always been the good old Speedy Pro, but I have settled on my Zenith CP2, which always gives me pleasure to wear.
    Bit large at 43mm, but the curved lugs minimise the size. I just enjoy looking at it.
    Into the home straight. I really wanted an ALS 'up and down' but that has never happened (yet). And I am put-off by Richemont . I saw this next watch on TZ and lusted after it. A Glashutte Original Senator Excellence. So nice you could eat it.
    looking back, I seem to choose watches which have strong, high-precision movements and, above all, a pretty dial. Nothing over-complicated.
    So, two Swiss and one German. None very grand. But they make me smile. Can I stick to this....I will give it a try. I've failed before, but who ever knows.

In truth, it's not quite over. I've just put my nice Grand Seiko manual, 253, on Chrono 24. If that doesn't sell, I could have a collection of four watches, two Swiss, one German and one Japanese. But I ought to be disciplined and stick to three watches.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th May 2018 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    my reign of terror
    This phrase made me chuckle, and also because I'm not sure for whom the process was more terrifying - the culled watches, or the owner having the difficult job of whittling down the collection.

I think you called it right, except I'd personally have kept the Speedmaster over the Zenith. Oh, and I'd also be greedily holding onto that Grand Seiko.

Excellent trio of watches - it must be quite mentally liberating in some ways to streamline like that (if it lasts...).

Master
    I have done the same over the last few years and have got it down to 3(well one more did arrive last week)

One Rolex and a couple of GPS/atomic watches and i enjoy them more than the expensive ones i used to have.

No real reason to reduce although service/insurance cost came into play when the collection was approaching 20k.

Plus i get to wear the watches i like on a more regular basis.

There must have been a few tricky calls along the way to getting the collection down to those. A great selection mind you, 3 lovely classic watches, it would be a pleasure to strap any of them on in the morning. I would want to keep your GS though, its stunning.
    J

Master
    You're an inspiration. I swear I'm going to sell 5 or 6 this month but everyday I just think 'no, I'll do it tomorrow!'

Worse still I have another coming next week

Master
    Here's the Grand Seiko 253. Didn't sell on SC but I am still torn. It's so 'classic' and minimalist. But it's also a touch austere. And I like the idea of three watches. You have to pay £200 to list it on Chrono 24, but if it doesn't go, the Watch Gods want me to keep it.
    Perhaps it's just me, but selling seems a bit harder than it used to be. Unfortunately, buying is just as easy!

Perhaps it's just me, but selling seems a bit harder than it used to be. Unfortunately, buying is just as easy!
    Perhaps your reputation for backing out of deals while in the Post Office queue, and wearing an already sold watch for one last day before posting, precedes you?

Love that DateJust!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Perhaps your reputation for backing out of deals while in the Post Office queue, and wearing an already sold watch for one last day before posting, precedes you?
    You distort and misrepresent everything . Presumably it makes you feel better.
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th May 2018 at 13:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Father Time View Post
    Love that DateJust!
    Yes, so do I. The smooth steel bezel makes it less 'golf club' and the rhodium dial seems very elegant, yet easy to read, while the Jubilee just seems, again, quite elegant.
    This is the least expensive version....£5,400....but doesn't feel it. And it's also the least costly Rolex to have the new 70-hour movement. Can't be bad. Well, it gives me real pleasure. Wearing it today.

Master

Classy

Your tastes have moved to classy understated rather than statement by the looks of it👍🏻

Great choice although I wouldn’t be without a diver personally?!?!

Chris

Three nice watches, the Zenith being the one I like the most (just personal taste). It’s been interesting following your journey to these three (or four) and I appreciate your openness as you’ve discovered what you like.

I made a conscious decision to concentrate on a vintage niche with little money involved. I knew if I didn’t I’d end up with a lot more expensive watches than I really wanted or could afford. At least you’ve shown that collections can be managed down as well as up.

Here's the Grand Seiko 253. Didn't sell on SC but I am still torn. It's so 'classic' and minimalist. But it's also a touch austere. And I like the idea of three watches. You have to pay £200 to list it on Chrono 24.....
    What! That is outrageous for what is frankly a poor website to use. I am amazed anyone is willing to paying that just to list. Makes eBay look cheap.

Master
    Well done Peter. The three lovely pieces you have settled on are magnificent and very much reflects your journey and tastes. Shame you are selling the GS - was hoping that would stay in the community.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is that by default?
    IIRC you've had the zenith and datejust up for sale.

Love the Zenith chrono

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    What! That is outrageous for what is frankly a poor website to use. I am amazed anyone is willing to paying that just to list. Makes eBay look cheap.
    eBay's cheap if you get a final fee offer. If not your sale fee could be £250, + Paypal commission, which would over £100.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

It's a % fee. They refund the listing fee if it doesn't sell in 6 months. As above, it's not too bad compared to paying full eBay and Paypal fees

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Well done Peter. The three lovely pieces you have settled on are magnificent and very much reflects your journey and tastes. Shame you are selling the GS - was hoping that would stay in the community.
    Nice to hear from you. I'm feeling pangs about the GS, because it's ....very nice. I may keep it. But you have been ruthless in dealing with a swollen collection. You know what it's like. Odd as it might sound, it's less about the money than having a feeling of control. I want to own the collection, not the collection own me. Or something like that.
    By the way, where did that gorgeous 109 spring-drive go? What a watch.

Master
    Nice to hear from you. I'm feeling pangs about the GS, because it's ....very nice. I may keep it. But you have been ruthless in dealing with a swollen collection. You know what it's like. Odd as it might sound, it's less about the money than having a feeling of control. I want to own the collection, not the collection own me. Or something like that.
    By the way, where did that gorgeous 109 spring-drive go? What a watch.
    I know what you mean by owning a collection and not the other way around - and that precisely why I also had a cull from 6 down to 1.5. The SBGA109 I think stayed in the community via a relative so maybe it will come up again on SC one day. You gotta keep the GS if you can - there's nothing like it.

Master
    '1.5' watches. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    It's a % fee. They refund the listing fee if it doesn't sell in 6 months. As above, it's not too bad compared to paying full eBay and Paypal fees
    Ok, that sounds more reasonable. £200 upfront is a hit but if you can get it back on a no-sale then I guess it is a good way to push scammers away.

Master
    '1.5' watches. How does that work?
    Well its one (SBGA041) plus the Explorer 214270 which I will just keep locked up. Can't bring myself to sell that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went from 8 to 3 and much more happier

That GS is nice.

Craftsman
    I love the DJ and regret not buying it from you when it was up in SC recently. Classy collection.

Love the dial on the datejust. I thought I always preferred the fluted bezel, might be converting.

Master
    The Ltd Ed Zenith is a real beauty!

Craftsman
    Well done Peter. Sterling work.
    Having been fortunate enough to see some of your impressive collection this week, I can appreciate how very hard some of the decisions must have been.
    I cannot fault your final selection (well bar one omission perhaps )
    I am grateful that we were able to cross paths as I was embarking on the far easier section of the journey. Building a small collection. Thank you once again.

Master
    A real pleasure, hope the beach was fun for the kids. And treasure that Daytona....well, treasure them all. Very nice to meet you all.
    In fact, meeting fellow hobbyists is one of the best parts of the whole thing. You already have a rather tasty collection, in my view.
    Your splendid mode of conveyance reminded me of the TZer who always wore his Nautilus while out caravanning. Hope he's still out there, hitting the road.
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th May 2018 at 20:54.

Blog Entries
    I thought I had first dibs on the Zenith! Only joking - you have a good collection there Peter.

I can’t help feeling though if we all followed this move to cull, then there would be a lot less watches to talk and enjoy here. It is a strange group - we are interested in horology but often moan about owning too many of the things we are interested in. It does all depend on personal priorities I guess, sometimes it’s minimalism rules, sometimes multi-diversity.

Anyway - I tend to hover around the seven / eight mark. Still seeking the fabled 5167A-001.

If you have any shots of your collection at it’s peek Peter that would be interesting to compare? All the best.

Martyn.

Master
    The collection at its peak.....goodness, there's a challenge. Anyway, I did have these :

Goodness, that's too many watches. I used to have boxes of them.
    Anyway, there were more, ridiculous as it may seem. But I think I had these at the same time.
    I'm happier with just three watches. Although, to be honest, it was a lot of fun. Some, like the 5711, came out of the blue. I'd put my name down years before, and just forgot. Then the telephone rang......
    I don't think i'l increase the 'collection' again. Once is enough.

Last edited by paskinner; 17th May 2018 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Your splendid mode of conveyance reminded me of the TZer who always wore his Nautilus while out caravanning. Hope he's still out there, hitting the road.
    Beach was great. Thanks for the guidance.
    As we are between family cars whilst we find the right car for our growing family. My only alternative mode of conveyance currently is this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173304770995
    I would no doubt have got to you a little quicker in it. Wouldn't have fancied spending the night in it though.

I really like the look of the White faced Zenith that you have posted above. Please could you tell me what model it is?

Master

Finally shrunk the 'collection'.....hard work

Unbelievable vehicle, but not sure the kids will fit. Anyway, that Zenith is called the 'classic' and is in the 'Elite' group of Zeniths, although it's an ElPrimero movement. They also do it in blue and brown. It seems to fit into your tastes. I sold it to a friend and he refused to sell it back to me! The only drawback is that it can be hard to read the dial in poor light. 42mm, which would suit your wrist, and very slim. Maybe around £3000 used?
    Glad you liked the beach. Chantal and the granddaughter are there now, together with her French sister. who's flown from Paris to watch the Royal wedding on our TV. They've already got the cheese and wine out.
    Mad as hatters.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th May 2018 at 16:28.