closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Email from D.M.R. Regarding Rolex Sales

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I think 'provenance' will become key. A verifiable audit back to the AD, including proof of payment. This may sound like an invasion of privacy, but if private sellers want to inspire confidence, this is what it might take. I don't see an obvious alternative. Even then a determined conman might succeed.
    But then, ADs keeping paperwork is not about authenticity, it's about control.

It's a bit odd to me that we are still faffing around with plastic cards and the like in 2017. I read an interesting paper the other day about an electronic POMS (Product Ownership Management System) that although not for watches would solve a lot of this stuff.

I'm surprised that none of the big players haven't done this already - even simply to collect more information about customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Well apparently this chap had to sign a 3 year contract for his Daytona!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=594683

Location I’m guessing is Scotland.
    As per the Rolex forums thread, I do like that they have said he can only sell it back to them. Wonder if they will offer him above retail, same as he paid or below should he decide to take up their benevolent offer?

So basically for 3 years he is paying over 9K to loan a watch.

Sorry people can’t really be taking this seriously right?

Master
    ^ There seems to be an abundance of TZ-UK members to whom this is perfectly acceptable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well that guy can sell anytime he likes. Depends if he wants to blow his “relationship”. Besides a dealer not very likely to find out if you sell on.

Warranty card a year later might complicate things a little but its the whole point of the withholding process.
    Last edited by kultschar; 4th April 2018 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    As per the Rolex forums thread, I do like that they have said he can only sell it back to them. Wonder if they will offer him above retail, same as he paid or below should he decide to take up their benevolent offer?

So basically for 3 years he is paying over 9K to loan a watch.

Sorry people can’t really be taking this seriously right?
    Basically, no, he's not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Well that guy can sell anytime he likes. Depends if he wants to blow his “relationship”. Besides a dealer not very likely to find out if you sell on.

Warranty card a year later might complicate things a little but its the whole point of the withholding process.
    I'm still at a loss to how the AD's ever find out that it's gone to WF et al - are these AD's randomly driving to whichever shop it's in, asking to have a look at the watch and the warranty card on the off chance it was their high desirable watch that got flipped? Or is there now a Rolex Flippers Police Department whose job it is to uncover the dastardly deed?

Can I get a job at the RFPD? Instead of a company car, can I have a company watch? Does it come with warranty card?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I'm still at a loss to how the AD's ever find out that it's gone to WF et al - are these AD's randomly driving to whichever shop it's in, asking to have a look at the watch and the warranty card on the off chance it was their high desirable watch that got flipped? Or is there now a Rolex Flippers Police Department whose job it is to uncover the dastardly deed?

Can I get a job at the RFPD? Instead of a company car, can I have a company watch? Does it come with warranty card?
    Indeed.

Maybe Rolex own watchfinders :)

Blog Entries
    Rolex and Rolex AD’s are now so far up themselves they are too blinkered to see that one fine day the bubble will burst and they will be looking around wondering where their volume customer base has gone!

£10,000+ for a unspectacular Rolex at full retail and “Thank you for your money sir, we will keep such parts of the watch package that we decide, for a period of time that we will also decide in order to make life difficult for you should you decide to sell YOUR property on in the future”!

F R O!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's a bit odd to me that we are still faffing around with plastic cards and the like in 2017. I read an interesting paper the other day about an electronic POMS (Product Ownership Management System) that although not for watches would solve a lot of this stuff.

I'm surprised that none of the big players haven't done this already - even simply to collect more information about customers.
    Breitling already supply watches with e-warranty ‘cards’ - I think they use them for stock control and such like. All details are recorded on this e-card that is imprinted electronically when the watch is issued by an AD. The data also goes off to a central system for reference.

Anyway - watch warranties are just that - not warranty against the purchaser. My last Rolex I had some warranty work done on - I forgot to take the warranty card with me into St James. I told them I had bought my watch from a second hand dealer (which is true) and they checked theire register against the serial number before checking it in for work under warranty and kindly updated my name and address as the current owner.

(I did tick the box that I did not want marketing information but I knew my name and address was going on a register - I could have of course given a completely false name and address but I am not like that).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Rolex and Rolex AD’s are now so far up themselves they are too blinkered to see that one fine day the bubble will burst and they will be looking around wondering where their volume customer base has gone!

£10,000+ for a unspectacular Rolex at full retail and “Thank you for your money sir, we will keep such parts of the watch package that we decide, for a period of time that we will also decide in order to make life difficult for you should you decide to sell YOUR property on in the future”!

F R O!!!
    Exactly. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Basically, no, he's not.
    Who are you referring to?

Journeyman
    I would like to see some sort of unification with all ADs - as some ADs carry out this policy of retaining the warranty card, others do not. Its the inconsistency which i do not like.

I also agree with some of the comments earlier, if I chose to sell the property at a time of financial struggle which wasn't foreseen, how do i go about that when the card is with the AD...

If Rolex really wanted to tackle this they would offer the longer warranty and a significant discount on servicing to the first owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post

I also agree with some of the comments earlier, if I chose to sell the property at a time of financial struggle which wasn't foreseen, how do i go about that when the card is with the AD...
    I can't believe that anyone pursues this pastime with anything other than play money.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I can't believe that anyone pursues this pastime with anything other than play money.
    Agreed, you would buy luxury good(s) with what you define as 'play money', but my point was if something unexpected happens within that year - say losing your job out of the blue, you may want to liquidate yourself to cover more urgent items like bills.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Suggested maybe, but not enforced. What a load of BS. So are you going to buy?
    Like I stated in the post "true or not I don't know "

Just reporting what he said.

The reason I posted as it was another AD basically saying the same as DMR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    I would like to see some sort of unification with all ADs - as some ADs carry out this policy of retaining the warranty card, others do not. Its the inconsistency which i do not like.

The watch isnt suddenly worthless without the card, many a loose Rolex have been pawned for good money. Also whats stopping the next owner to go and pick up the card after the "probation" period... nothing. The card is worthless to the AD. Making mountains out of molehills here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Also whats stopping the next owner to go and pick up the card after the "probation" period... nothing.
    Sorry, that’s simply incorrect. David M Robinson told me when I bought the watch, it had to be me that picked up the card. “Nobody else can pick it up”. I didn’t even ask and they told me this. They also queried it was me when I finally got to pick it up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well it appears to be annoying / deterring people here so maybe the lists will get shorter!!

I read an interesting paper the other day about an electronic POMS (Product Ownership Management System) that although not for watches would solve a lot of this stuff.
    Blockchain based, perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Blockchain based, perchance?

It was indeed! leaving aside the current trendness of blockchain, there is surely a solution out there - would make buying in the second hand market easier as well.

Master
    It was indeed! leaving aside the current trendness of blockchain, there is surely a solution out there - would make buying in the second hand market easier as well.
    Blockchain is the current fad, although it does lend itself perfectly to this application.

Apprentice
    yeah i have no real issue with it...

My AD kept the card when I picked up my SD43 recently, but I bought it to own and keep not to sell
    So yes they will hold my card for 1 year but they gave me a photocopy of the card and everything else and in 12 months they'll call me to come and collect it - but to be honest I'm in there every month or so.

if there was a warranty issue in the 1st 12 months they would sort it out without the need for the card etc.

The same is true of protective plastics being removed - they insist they are removed in the store, either by you or by them
    But I understand Rolex always wanted this done and when I have purchased watches in the past in Bucherer in Geneva, they removed all stickers and even the green hologram sticker (as it was 2006/7 when these still came on the case back)

The issue is no AD wants to find one of their inventoried watches ending up for sale on the likes of Watchfinder or Blowers or Chrono24 which could (and has for some AD's) caused them to loose their dealership status.

I just wished that it was a global policy, that all sales outlets stuck to - because even in the UK some dealers are keeping cards - others not, some are removing plastics - others not..
    It's this inconsistency that annoys me more than the hoops my AD is making me jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by d4uk View Post
    yeah i have no real issue with it...

My AD kept the card when I picked up my SD43 recently, but I bought it to own and keep not to sell
    So yes they will hold my card for 1 year but they gave me a photocopy of the card and everything else and in 12 months they'll call me to come and collect it - but to be honest I'm in there every month or so.

if there was a warranty issue in the 1st 12 months they would sort it out without the need for the card etc.

The same is true of protective plastics being removed - they insist they are removed in the store, either by you or by them
    But I understand Rolex always wanted this done and when I have purchased watches in the past in Bucherer in Geneva, they removed all stickers and even the green hologram sticker (as it was 2006/7 when these still came on the case back)

The issue is no AD wants to find one of their inventoried watches ending up for sale on the likes of Watchfinder or Blowers or Chrono24 which could (and has for some AD's) caused them to loose their dealership status.

I just wished that it was a global policy, that all sales outlets stuck to - because even in the UK some dealers are keeping cards - others not, some are removing plastics - others not..
    It's this inconsistency that annoys me more than the hoops my AD is making me jump through.
    Genuine question, I buy a Rolex from an AD and sell it on to watchfinder or even sell it on chrono24 why will this affect the AD status with Rolex or cause them to lose it?

Genuine question, I buy a Rolex from an AD and sell it on to watchfinder or even sell it on chrono24 why will this affect the AD status with Rolex or cause them to lose it?
    It does not just they don't like it and want to stop it plus be on there 2k more than you sold it for steel sports

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Very common. The warranty is still valid... it wouldn’t bother me nor would it concern me if the same thing happened with a new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    As I understand it...

Rolex records and can trace where the serial numbers of every watch sold. (ie through which dealer) its been known that some dealers whose allocation of these hotter watches (JC, Daytona C, SD43, HULK, Batman etc) regularly turn up on the grey market have lost their franchises... and so these dealers are taking these measure to protect themselves and their business interests.

All it takes is for the warranty card to show a 160 country code and it will raise red flags.

As I understand it...

Rolex records and can trace where the serial numbers of every watch sold. (ie through which dealer) its been known that some dealers whose allocation of these hotter watches (JC, Daytona C, SD43, HULK, Batman etc) regularly turn up on the grey market have lost their franchises... and so these dealers are taking these measure to protect themselves and their business interests.

All it takes is for the warranty card to show a 160 country code and it will raise red flags.
    I’m still confused by this...surely I won’t know the serial of a preowned Rolex until I buy it? I don’t recall this info being available on the Blowers or Watchfinder site...not least because it would be useful to fakers to have genuine serial numbers freely available on the net! So how would Rolex ever know. All of the BS sounds like smoke and mirrors and general rubbish spouted by AD’s.

Journeyman
    Because I imagine, it has probably been the Dealers selling-on the hot watches to the Grey and have been stupid enough to put their on names down on registration.

Imagine the margin for for either a business or an individual? Why would they not want to - especially for a private member of staff who could possibly get a staff discount.

Also, how many here can shout yahoooo and say the purchased a wh or bk Daytona C at an AD for list? My reading suggests it is not impossible but very rare. Why would that be?

lots of reasons but I have my suspicions and maybe Rolex caught-on to?

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your email relating to your keeping of the warranty card for 12 months once delivery of the watch has taken place.

Please take note that when the warranty card is due to be collected, I reserve the right to allow a named individual to collect said warranty card on my behalf. You shall be notified of the individual's identity in writing 7 days prior to the scheduled collection date.

Regards

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your email relating to your keeping of the warranty card for 12 months once delivery of the watch has taken place.

Please take note that when the warranty card is due to be collected, I reserve the right to allow a named individual to collect said warranty card on my behalf. You shall be notified of the individual's identity in writing 7 days prior to the scheduled collection date.

Regards
    I’d love to see their response to that

Master
    Dear Sir

We call the shots, you do not.

Either accept our terms and conditions or buy from somewhere else.

Signed

Proprietor

What happens if they suddenly go bust and close down with loads of warranty cards in the safe I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by jobseeker View Post
    What happens if they suddenly go bust and close down with loads of warranty cards in the safe I wonder?
    Receiver will deal with it.

As I understand it...

I have read dozens of these threads over the years and I still don't get this part, what business interests are being harmed here and protect against what? Rolex and their ADs sell all they can get so what exactly is the issue with a thriving second hand market for their products? What harm does it do?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I have read dozens of these threads over the years and I still don't get this part, what business interests are being harmed here and protect against what? Rolex and their ADs sell all they can get so what exactly is the issue with a thriving second hand market for their products? What harm does it do?
    Precisely, everything spouted by AD’s is likely rubbish. At the end of the day they’ll use these modes to sell other stuff. They’re in the business of selling, nothing more and will do whatever they can to increase sales, if that means keeping these back as sweeteners then so be it. All IMO of course, unless anyone here is an AD it’s all speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If not an issue why aren’t people happy if AD staff are buying for themselves in preference to selling to ‘real’ customers?
    Makes no difference to the business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Receiver will deal with it.
    no doubt that will have a timely and happy ending

I not bothered as won't effect me most of us won't be getting the cream so won't change nothing !!! Might just slow down seeing them of eBay etc... But will just push prices even more than how stupid folk want for stuff now

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    no doubt that will have a timely and happy ending
    Yeah, the receiver might go bust...

Master
    All this waffle about “supplying to preferred, local, loyal customers who won’t flip” - yet I’ve yet to see a case of anyone buying a hard-to-get shorts Rolex and keeping it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    All this waffle about “supplying to preferred, local, loyal customers who won’t flip” - yet I’ve yet to see a case of anyone buying a hard-to-get shorts Rolex and keeping it.
    I have a white Daytona ceramic supplied at list price by my local Rolex AD. I've bought a few from him over the years, so there is a degree of mutual loyalty. I've still got the Daytona, wear it regularly and don't intend to sell it in the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have a white Daytona ceramic supplied at list price by my local Rolex AD. I've bought a few from him over the years, so there is a degree of mutual loyalty. I've still got the Daytona, wear it regularly and don't intend to sell it in the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I'm not the only one...
    Well, it was *slightly* tongue in cheek!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m still confused by this...surely I won’t know the serial of a preowned Rolex until I buy it? I don’t recall this info being available on the Blowers or Watchfinder site...not least because it would be useful to fakers to have genuine serial numbers freely available on the net! So how would Rolex ever know. All of the BS sounds like smoke and mirrors and general rubbish spouted by AD’s.
    Dealers check serial no.s with Rolex to see if they’re stolen. Assume they are therefore flagged/come to their attention that way

Craftsman
    Hulk & BLNR owner and they aren’t going anywhere soon. I’d imagine the Hulk is one of the “harder to get” watches too

Apprentice
    Had my Hulk for over a year now and my nephew has already got his name down for when I expire!

Master

Still got my Hulk after two years. The Leeds boutique did give me my warranty card.

Apprentice
    Let’s just say,

You buy the watch, you are fine with it, and then boom all of a sudden you have financial issues, or something and need to sell your watches.

Instagram
    Wrist_Watch_Repeat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
    Let’s just say,

You buy the watch, you are fine with it, and then boom all of a sudden you have financial issues, or something and need to sell your watches.

Instagram
    Wrist_Watch_Repeat

Simple, ask your Rolex AD for permission to sell, hopefully they may agree if you give them a full breakdown of your financial issues with names and addresses of your creditors and details of sums owed.

You may also be required to attend the AD’s showroom (by appointment) and take a *ollocking at best or a rear-ending at worst from a member of staff for your financial mismanagement.
    Last edited by KavKav; 8th April 2018 at 07:18.