closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: For those who like hand-built bike frames

Blog Entries

For those who like hand-built bike frames

A very small, 'boutique'-like bike builder. A local guy who builds only a handful bikes every year. For those of you here who like to see an artist's masterpiece: Blacksmith Bikes

http://www.blacksmith-bikes.nl/index.html

an example:

Journeyman
    It's all Dutch to me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Nice. “The Avenue” in this colour scheme for me please (but with Campag).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    It's all Dutch to me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Google translate is your friend.

The workshop is located within walking distance from my house. But I'd never heard about the builder until yesterday. According to someone who knows the company: less than 30 bike/yr. with a 15-month waiting list!

Menno

Master
    Looks nice.

I did have a hand built Dave Yates LoPro for time trials years ago,and someone posted on here that he is still building small numbers, and has moved from the north east to the midlands. Still have a hand built Chas Roberts mountain bike frame, which is my every day bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Looks nice.

I did have a hand built Dave Yates LoPro for time trials years ago,and someone posted on here that he is still building small numbers, and has moved from the north east to the midlands. Still have a hand built Chas Roberts mountain bike frame, which is my every day bike.
    Is the mountain bike the D.O.G.S B.O.LO.X?

I’ve got a couple of custom road frames and whilst they’re not as light or modern as some of the frames I have, they’re the only two I guarantee I’ll never part with.

I used to have a custom Dave Yates DONKISNOB MTB... Amazing craftsmanship... Only sold it to buy a seven sola ti frame but still miss the DY

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice.

Mrs T-7 did an article for the very first edition of Cycling Plus. She had three custom-made steel framesets, a Chas. Roberts, a Dave Yates & a Dave Lloyd. We liked the Roberts the best, although they were all great blokes & made excellent frames. Later on she chose Brain Rourke to make her a custom frame in metallic purple. I think her sister has it now.

It's said that "Steel is Real". I like the aesthetics of it but I'd rather have it hung on my wall than ride it in anger. For speed I'd choose Carbon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice.

I had a low profile TT bike from another great North East builder, Rob Telfer. Actually I still have it, it's permanently on my Turbo Trainer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mrs T-7 did an article for the very first edition of Cycling Plus. She had three custom-made steel framesets, a Chas. Roberts, a Dave Yates & a Dave Lloyd. We liked the Roberts the best, although they were all great blokes & made excellent frames. Later on she chose Brain Rourke to make her a custom frame in metallic purple. I think her sister has it now.

It's said that "Steel is Real". I like the aesthetics of it but I'd rather have it hung on my wall than ride it in anger. For speed I'd choose Carbon.
    One of my friends worked for Chas down in Croydon (and appears in some of the histories), hence having that frame. I do not recall ever seeing a frame by his brother Geoff though.

My Dave Yates was ultra light for the day, using wolber profil 18 rims, and a similar width of tubular tyre. Now I have a carbon MTB and TT (Argon18), with my titanium bike sitting on a smart turbo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You're still TTing then?

But, you can pick up classic example of 531 with beautiful brazed lugs and British craftsmanship for £100 +/- on fleaBay. A repaint, by say Argos, will cost £200 and make it look like new.

Watch out for the "modern" 853 type tubes, they rust like hell from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    But, you can pick up classic example of 531 with beautiful brazed lugs and British craftsmanship for £100 +/- on fleaBay. A repaint, by say Argos, will cost £200 and make it look like new.

Watch out for the "modern" 853 type tubes, they rust like hell from the inside.
    531 is gas pipe compared to modern tube sets like Columbus spirit. I have a 531 frame, it’s in the loft and one day will be sold to some doe-eyed hipster or misty-eyed vet who owns a ‘steel is real’ t-shirt and now want the bike to match.

Things have moved on since the 50’s and the frames made from modern spirit/853/deda are a much better bikes to ride. (Well my Pegoretti and Chesini are which is why the Mercian is in the loft)

As for rust? I use dinitrol which is cheaper than the cans of framesaver.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 3rd March 2018 at 22:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Is the mountain bike the D.O.G.S B.O.LO.X?
    Nope - but they were something else! Chas built some amazing bespoke / one off frames for friends at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    You're still TTing then?
    Yes, and this year starting duathlons again, after a 20+ year break from triathlon. Started running again 18 months ago, and already winning my age group in the Parkruns every week.

Nice, anyone going to bespoke in Bristol in April, hand built bike show. Worth a look, I went a few years ago, going back this year, with a view of commissioning the one. 😃👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and this year starting duathlons again, after a 20+ year break from triathlon. Started running again 18 months ago, and already winning my age group in the Parkruns every week.
    Awesome, I haven't done any Triathlons for 14 years. I used to do Duathlons at Castle Combe & found them intensely hard. Now I stick to Time Trialling. 2 weeks ago I did my 913th TT. I was first of the losers, but the winner was 36 years younger than me. I might give myself a break when I get to 1000.

So going back to steel frames, just to stay slightly more on topic, the problem is that most of the steel tubing is round in cross section which limits frame design, circular tubing creates more drag than an aerofoil, & there's also a weight penalty. Carbon can be made in any shape & cross section you like. If you want to go faster the bike needs to be more aerodynamic. Although it's more important for the rider to be aerodynamic. 80% of the drag comes from the rider. So position on the bike, clothing, helmet etc all make a big difference. Some of the effects are quite small but they all add up & lead to Free Speed. That's if you like going fast of course.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Google translate is your friend.

The workshop is located within walking distance from my house. But I'd never heard about the builder until yesterday. According to someone who knows the company: less than 30 bike/yr. with a 15-month waiting list!

Menno
    Sheesh, so a move. To Amsterdam could now be even more expensive, have just spent 3 days drooling at some of the. Stuff in the bike shops, I know I’m gonna need a nice cheap and simple bike for zipping around on, my brace of Cannondales might get the wrong sort of attention, and I think the full sums one needs to be retired now, it’s not gonna get much of a workout is it?

Rob

Blog Entries
    Drooling around in bike shops... I don't know any British bike shops, but I experienced the ohhs and ahhs of a friend from Missouri when we entered our 'bike shop-around-the-corner'. Not even a high-end bike seller. He was amazed by the number of parts, the bikes etc.
    Living in the Netherlands also gives you the possibility of joining a cycling club for all sorts of trips, 'courses' and evening tours. These clubs are 'all walks of life' clubs: from bricklayers to surgeons who join up for a trip down the county.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Sheesh, so a move. To Amsterdam could now be even more expensive, have just spent 3 days drooling at some of the. Stuff in the bike shops, I know I’m gonna need a nice cheap and simple bike for zipping around on, my brace of Cannondales might get the wrong sort of attention, and I think the full sums one needs to be retired now, it’s not gonna get much of a workout is it?

Rob
    My friends who live near Den Haag just ended up buying Dutch style bikes. That is what everyone has and they are more practical for day to day use. Blend in to the masses when parked. You generally can’t bomb around anyway as it is a much slower pace of transportation there.

Blog Entries
    Dutch style bikes are the way to go. But there are tons of brands, models etc to choose from. Mind you, they aren't lightweight bikes. Quality and sturdiness come at a cost: weight.

M

Bought this on a whim recently, sadly still in my loft unbuilt.

https://www.isenworkshop.com/bikes/

Master
    Mike - Bought this on a whim recently, sadly still in my loft unbuilt.
    I just resisted a Mason Bokeh last month as I barely ride my steel Genesis but the 'whim' was strong!