closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you change you car?

How often do you change you car?

I seem to have some kind of compulsion to change about every 18 months. I start looking on autotrader and pistonheads even when the previous car I chose was very carefully picked out and paid for and has nothing wrong with it.
    It seems daft to me but...even though i don't even live in the UK I can't help looking and frequently only get to drive my new baby a few times over the 18 months/2 years.
    I hope I'm not alone in this silliness!

Master
    I used to change mine pretty frequently (every year or two) but since doing far fewer miles I have stuck with my current car for 5.5 years now. I have owned 11 cars in approximately 20 years of driving which bears that out.

My younger brother currently has 4 cars and it is just him in the house. I think my older brother has been through 50+ cars which is excessive to me!

To add to this however I am looking to change my car this year as I would like something newer now.
    Last edited by midgetda; 25th February 2018 at 10:51.

Master
    My last 3 Cars were all 3yrs old when I bought them and generally keep them 4 or 5yrs, never bought new, only a couple of motorcycles where ever bought new

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

It varies massively depending on the vehicle, what I'm using it for, if I like it or not, what the depreciation is like, if I suspect that something expensive is just about to go bang etc.

I have multiple vehicles so it's not a one in one out process. The longest I've owned a vehicle is 32 years (still have it) and the shortest I've owned a vehicle was a month (obviously I don't own that one at the moment)

Looking at the current fleet I've owned them for 32 years, 29 years, 3 years, 2 years, 2 years and 1 year and a bit.

Whilst I quite like cars, I don't like them enough to change every couple of years.

When we had 2 cars when the newest was 5 years old we could sell the oldest (at 10 years old) and replace with new. It did though mean that we tended to have 2 decent sized cars at the same time.

With the one car we now have (bought new on PCP), the intention is to change at 8 years and buy new on PCP. Great disappointment to the Dealership, not being able to keep me trapped on the PCP hamster wheel when the ballon payment is due.

I've had my Land Rover Defender for 12 of its 22 years and have no intention of changing it. I hope it can see me out.

More often than is sensible.

Longest I’ve kept one is 3 years.

This one 13 years, wish the bleeder would conk out so I could justify a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My car coming up to 3 years old I’m going to keep it thintoe so I’m just staying clear of auto trader I think this mite help.
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 26th February 2018 at 00:57.

Master
    8 year old Golf. 93K miles and counting. Toy with the idea of getting a new car every year and had even made a thread here last year. Decided to keep my present one. Got the MOT done on Friday - good for another year! I don't think I'll be able to sell it - I may have to give it away!

When I was younger new car every 2-3 years. Now I am middle aged and a bit wiser it’s 5 years if I buy a 3 year old used car and 8-10 years if I buy new.

Craftsman
    I have my current one 8.5 years but I look at autotrader pretty much every week. I’m a fussy bugger when it comes to cars and haven’t found the perfect spec/colour combo to warrant a change. I also only use it at the weekends.

Blog Entries
    i am on my third since 2001... and not thinking about replacing the current one.

Menno

I tend to hang onto cars.

I had a spell as a contractor in the late 80s early 90s when I'd buy a new car every 3 years (tax breaks were much more generous regarding cars back then), but my last two lasted 7 and 9 years respectively.

However my current car is on a 24 month lease, so it'll be short lived.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    My last car 12 years as i couldn't kill it whatever i did to it.

The wife's we will have had 7 years next month.

As i tend to buy Jap cars nothing goes wrong although i do look nearly ever week for a new one(a bit like watches)

Master
    About every 10 years, I tend to buy something decent secondhand (avoiding the crippling 1st year depreciation) and then run them into the ground but always looking after them mechanically. When a MOT bill is going to cost me £500 then its time to get shut and move on.

Volvo 760 - 184k, Golf Mk5 169k and have now moved on to a BMW 1 Series.

I like cars but not paying for them, I know PCP is attractive for many people but just not my thing, to me you are on a permanent cycle of paying for a car.

How often do you change you car?

This is my third owned car, have been spoiled by having company cars up until 2004 when I opted out. My first car I only had for 6 weeks before I got a company car so had to sell it. My last to last I got in 2004 and part-exed it just last October so kept it for 13 years. Current car, thinking is 5 years as it was a heart purchase rather than a mind purchase.

Master
    Tended to change every 3 years, traded my diesel Golf for a petrol Golf last year and may well keep this a lot longer as it’s perfect for my needs.

I tend to buy one I really like nearly new and drive it till the wheels fall off and then buy another.

This time I bought a new BMW, big mistake

Looking back, since 2000 I have had 4 cars with a combined price of less than £7k, none of them needed big expensive bills and I have done lots of mileage in them.

The one common factor is they were all diesels, I regularly serviced them myself and bought good cars in the first place, also I can't stand losing lots of money on everyday cars in a residual or maintenance way.

Journeyman
    When I used to care what I am driving, I changed them every 3 years, but now only when they die.

This thread isn't making me feel too good. In my years driving I have averaged a purchase (/company car purchase) of a new car every 15 months.

To be fair though, only on one of the occasions was getting a new car not the sensible option, reasons ranging from: company car upgrade, car dying, friends offering me a very good price for the car and making the sale easy.

I aim to keep my current car for 5 years, I haven't even completed one year of ownership yet so we'll see how that goes.

Used to change my car 12-24 months , before however the current batch I haven't changed for coming up to 3 years and have no intentions to as I don't think there's much out there I really want at the moment.

My first new car was a 1969 VW Beetle, which I mildly customized. For the next dozen or so years I traded for another new car every 12-18 months. After that, I slowly moved toward a three-year trade practice, although I would have liked to have continued to trade every year! I think my list now includes about 35 or so new cars...wish I had that depreciation back!

Craftsman
    History of bangernomics and increasing function for me:
    Rover Metro - 2 years, went to the scrapyard.
    Rover 45 - 2 years (25,000 miles) before it blew up.
    Focus estate - 3 years (33,000 miles) pre-emptive sell on the impending kaboom.
    Primera estate - 3 years (27,000 miles) went to the scrapyard held together by wishful thinking alone.
    Currently on a Kia Sedona necessary for child 3 who's soon to drop.

Very boring motoring.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Typically change every 1-2 years as I get bored and want to move on. Exception to this is my second car which I will keep (have had 3 years) and I believe it is appreciating in value

Blog Entries
    Of old I would pick, spec up and then cherish like hell, polish within an inch of there lives and love em for 3 and a bit years.

Now, it’s experience not ownership (owning a car again gives me shivers) so now I look at bargains (to me) as they land (not cuddly on spec or manufacturer) and lease new every two years before the cost of tyres, big servicing and repairs kick in + don’t have to worry about taxing them.

Not everyone’s cuppa but is perfect for me.

Pitch

Had my GT3 since Feb 2006
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Been using shanks' pony for last 41 years and no sign of a trade-in.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 25th February 2018 at 21:40.

Grand Master
    I’m becoming less interested in cars as I get older. Currently own a 7 year old Jag XF that I bought at 1 yr old, I’ll keep it till it starts giving problems.

As a 20- something back in the early 80s I swapped them every few months and usually made a small profit or broke even............we change as we get older!

I don’t see much prestige value or kudos in car ownership thesedays, cars just don’t impress me like they once did.

Paul

Master
    Used to be quite a while as I hate selling cars when I get a new one and won't trade in as the values are terrible. I've now discovered leasing so every 2-3 years depending on the lease I get.

Like a lot of people I’d change cars often when younger, but now I’ve had my cars a while and added to them. Not worth selling and not really costing me much.

Now when I look at buying a car I’m thinking whether or not it could be a keeper.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Like a lot of people I’d change cars often when younger, but now I’ve had my cars a while and added to them. Not worth selling and not really costing me much.

Now when I look at buying a car I’m thinking whether or not it could be a keeper.
    Agree 100%
    Used to change every 12 - 18 months but had present car since 2012 and hoping to run it to 250k miles
    Guess it’s just other priorities as one gets older

I'm a serial flipper.
    Shortest time I had a car was 6 weeks, longest with any car 18 months.
    Average is 9 -12months.
    I dread to think how much it's cost me

I wonder if it's an age thing...
    Watches/Cars/Fountain pens...those things that are in some senses "extra" for many.
    I don't find myself looking quite as hard at watches and pens as i once did, having got what might be considered decent versions of each that i very much like. I still do find myself looking at cars but i'm often not quite sure why i want to change as my current cars are very good.
    i'm slightly nervous of the trend to technology. One now seems to judge a car based on its tech rather than it's drive etc.

Master
    I have always been a nightmare with cars and over the last 22 ish years the longest I have owned a car is 18 months. Went though a stage not that long ago where I changed cars 6 times in 2 years and at a loss of around £10k each time it was really becoming a problem!

Unfortunately I love cars, always have and probably always will. So many nice ones to chose from and just not enough time......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my Boxster for the last 16 years, it’s been a superb car, only an indicator stalk and alternator in that time (other than usual stuff). 120k miles, mainly serviced by a local Porsche independent who really knows his stuff.

It will go, but will be a sad day... whoever gets (hardly any money) it will get a well documented car with a clean history.

I’ll probably buy another.

Master
    i have owned a a 1970 triumph bonneville for 41 years ,a 1976 TR7v8 for 30years,my wifes 1999 merc for 10years,my beloved old 1992 toyota surf 4x4 for 11years so i guess i am not a serial flipper.ihave had the same wife for 40 years so i must find it hard to move things on

Two cars, two strategies...

Practical family wagon - only changed when we need something different, most recently to an XC90 because we wanted the extra seats.

Fun car - toy with the idea of changing it on a regular basis but can't quite bring myself to sell the 993.

I have my current car for 12 years.

Grand Master
    I used to enjoy swapping cars, nowadays I dislike the whole process. Way back in the early 90s an older guy at work said exactly the same thing and I couldn’t grasp what he meant........now I do!

I don’t mind haggling, but it’s all that going back and forth to ask ‘The Man’ that gets to me. In the past I’ve blown my top and insisted ‘The Man’ talks to me face to face if he’s making the decisions.........surprising how much time it saves!

Wifey’s Fiesta will need swapping soon because we really need a 4 door car to cart her grandaughter around in. Despite coming up to 9 years old it’s still in great condition and it does the job, but a 2 door car and child seat in the back isn’t a good combination for a lady who’s 58 with a bad back. The Fiesta was bought for her 50th birthday and I tried my best to persuade her to get the 4 door version..........say no more!

I think stopping work has an influence. If you’re not driving back and forth to work you put far less miles on a car, plus the fact that some days it doesn’t turn a wheel. It certainly focuses the mind on how much a car really is costing, no matter how you dress it up depreciation is the killer financially and the older the car the less it depreciates..........the numbers don’t lie if you work it all out properly and skip the man-maths.

Paul

I generally own them between 18months and 3 years. Depending on if I get bored and fancy a change

Not as often as I used to, previously like it seems a lot of other people it was usually about every 18 months and a few that only lasted 6 months.

Main family car, the last one was 4 years and current one coming up to 3 years, but there arent as many interesting options when it comes to changing.

However am retiring in 1 month so going to be a major change on the car front in the next few months, actually bought one this afternoon which will replace a Peugeot 108 which have had for 2.5 years,
    which I hate, but suited the kids learning to drive and which my wife quite liked for nipping around on short journeys and parking in busy spots, new one is slightly larger and more practical (and better to drive
    and I will probably be doing more of that in this one)

Probably down size the main family car and replace my 2 toys with 1 in the next 6 months. Idea is not to spend more than I get and to keep them for longer.

Craftsman
    About every 3 years, although I'm always thinking about the next car, I'd change every 6 months if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Only when I can't put it off any longer!

Master
    Four cars in 33 years of driving. one of which was a three year company car deal.

Each to their own, but although I love driving I've no compulsion to change more regularly. Aside from depreciation, there's a risk I get something I hate, plus the buying experience is typically awful. About once every 10 years is as much as I could put up with! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    i have owned a a 1970 triumph bonneville for 41 years
    Have you managed to fix the oil leaks yet?

I’ve had my current car for eight years now and can’t justify swapping it yet.
    I’ll probably edit until I can afford an EV with a decent range.

Master
    When the wife says its time, current car 25mths and she still loves it.

Currently on my 16th car in 30 years.
    Longest was 6 six years, shortest 6 months.
    I don't want to add it all up... 😱

Quote Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
    Agree 100%
    Used to change every 12 - 18 months but had present car since 2012 and hoping to run it to 250k miles
    Guess it’s just other priorities as one gets older
    Indeed, priorities priorities, my heart says supercar but my head says maybe a tractor for the farm would be a more sensible buy :(
    It's just a matter of time...