closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches for children?

Watches for children?

I'm finding this more difficult than I expected!

I bought my sons (now 10 and 8) Seiko 5s a few years ago, but they have always been a bit too big and they get quite bashed up. Kids aren't that careful with watches. So I've put the Seikos to one side until they are a couple of years older - say early teens.

In the summer, my wife bought them some no-brand watches end-of-line from a local jeweller, but they didn't last long at all - second hands falling off and so on. They were very cheap so we didn't bother taking them back but put it down to experience.

Now it comes to Christmas, Santa might bring them something. But what?

I thought of G-shock or Swatch, but G-shock seem to be huge and a lot of the Swatch watches look like boring plastic. Ideally, the watch should be:
    • pretty robust,

• analogue (although happy with the G-shock style of analogue matched with digital displays),

• battery operated (they won't remember to wind-up). I think this also rules out "fitness trackers" as they seem to need charging regularly and often syncing with a smart phone which they don't have.

• a day-date as it helps them keep track of their lesson plans at school if they know what day it is.

• No real thoughts on price, although less than £100 (probably more like £50) as I don't want to be too precious about them getting damaged and I don't want them to worry about me being precious about them getting damaged ... :)

Any tips on what I could look for?

Cheers

Sub no date. Failing that, mx5.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Sub no date. Failing that, mx5.
    Come on - the guy is after a serious answer and you just make a joke.

OP - buy them a part of Brogues and a tactical backpack - hope that helps.

(I actually would get them a swatch or get them to design their own on the swatch website).

Craftsman
    I agree that swatch may be a sensible choice. In my experience they are pretty bomb proof.

Something like this may tick all the right boxes?

Master
    I've got an almost 5 year old. Are you telling me that when she is 8 or even 10 she still won't know what day of the week it is and will need to check a watch to find out!?

Pulsar do very good childrens watches that's what I got and well under £100

Last year I got my 9 year old nephew this Sekonda:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is on his wrist next to my Breitling Avenger II GMT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot to add, you can get them in different colours too, so they wouldn't have to have the same

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It you are happy with only the date, not the day, then the child size ICE watch is greatly liked by my young son. The bezel rotates, which he likes to play with.

The Swatch above looks good. I was wondeirng about FlikFlak but they don't seem to do dates, let alone days.

These are my daughter's watches. She loves them dearly and wears them in rotation.

I suppose we are talking about a different age group, though. 😁

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    I agree that swatch may be a sensible choice. In my experience they are pretty bomb proof.

Something like this may tick all the right boxes?

Very cool.

I’m looking for something for my son. He wants a big watch with a bracelet but no digital. Will probably go swatch and found a couple of candidates under a ton in T2.

I’ve seen that Sekonda too and that looks a good choice as well.

Watches for children?

When I were a lad, mine and most kids’ first watch was a Timex, except the posh ones where it was of course Patek Philippe.

Somebody pointed out the other day that the current Timex range wasn’t bad looking. I must agree there are some nice ones. I’m not sure about sizes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 24th November 2017 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    When I were a lad, most kids’ first watch was a Timex, except the posh ones were it was Patek Philippe.

Somebody pointed out the other day that the current Timex range wasn’t bad looking. I must agree there were some nice ones. I’m not sure about sizes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My first watch 40+ years ago was a Timex.

The Patek was never mine.... 😁
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I have been thinking about this myself recently! I am considering a issued CWC G10 (loads on ebay for well under £100) already a bit bashed up and as tough as old boots. I would also consider Boctok if they will be worn daily (automatic)

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Maybe have a wander to Argos?

A few...

No day but looks cool

With their nice backlight they may like

I tried with my son but think it's a case of me being too into them to rub off! I've bought him a couple of nice auto Seiko's I've serviced and restored (the ladies size divers) and he's not really interested. Thinking about it, it's probably like my dad giving me some old 50's watch when I was a kid, prob would have been the same.

that casio is dope. if i was 8 i would love that.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Definitely - that Casio is probably spot on. I hadn't thought of Argos for a watch but they seem to have a good selection. A budget version of a G-shock.

If not the Casio then the Swatch would probably hit the spot, but I think the chunkiness of the Casio will win the day.

Thanks for the suggestions (most of them anyway ... )

Ah - having a browse on Argos - they are all huge (44mm watches) so far too big for 8-10 year old wrists. Argos's selection of kids watches seem to be Ben10 style PoSs. I'll keep looking.

If the Casio is too big, look at the Timex Expeditions or even see if they have the Lorus Lumibrite (Argos catalogue number 253/5975) - I'm sure this would appeal to a kid and isn't oversized either.

Master
    Not analogue but my godsons got baby gshocks last year for Christmas (7&9) they love them and they’ve survived everything that’s been thrown whilst being a sensible size they love the backlights too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    Ah - having a browse on Argos - they are all huge (44mm watches) so far too big for 8-10 year old wrists. Argos's selection of kids watches seem to be Ben10 style PoSs. I'll keep looking.

I didn't realise that first Casio I posted was large, I'd seen them on display and in my mind they were almost mid size.

Not sure if what you're looking for even exists really. An analogue, kid's size with day and date and decent quality..

Unfortunately as you've found out kiddies watches are badly made and actually overpriced for their quality (even at low price). Ladies watches rarely have day and date due to their reduced size. I did find an ana-Digital kids watch on eBay but it looks cheap but is overpriced again (see below)

I'd either ditch the day idea and go for a ladies Citizen dive watch (but over budget) or just go digital.

My son is 9 and I just showed him some watches on eBay and asked him what he'd be happy to wear out of the below and which his mate's would like...

Only style he liked was the last one! No wonder he never wants to wear his nice Seiko divers!

Bit of solar power? 38mm, drilled 20mm lugs, screw down crown, 200wr.

Watches for children?

I got my 8 year old this Lorus last Christmas. He loves it as he can swim with it on and the whole face lights up when you press a button. Its nice and small and very sturdy:
    https://m.johnlewis.com/lorus-childr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

My 10 year old daughter has a Baby-G. Again very robust and waterproof. Also very pretty, more important for girls!

The Momentum Company does the 'Mini' in all sort of colour variations. Solid watches.

https://www.momentumwatch.com/collec...nt=30106991243

https://www.momentumwatch.com/products/mini-steel

Craftsman
    I just bought my 7 year old nephew this Timex. The Velcro band will be easier for him to use and he’ll probably think it’s cool. It’s got an indiglo back light which he’ll have great fun with too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If the 5s are already getting knocks, I'd let them carry on wearing those.