closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Rolex...

Apprentice

My first Rolex...

As a newly single man, now without large mortgage payments to make; I feel it is about time I invested in a Rolex. I was considering purchasing one a couple of years ago but the then missus and I started saving for a house and so me ever owning a Rolex seemed an impossibility. Now I have money and freedom again, retail therapy is in order.

I'm almost certain I would like the latest version, dateless submariner 114060.

It would seem they sell for pretty much the same price second hand as they do brand new, therefore it makes sense to me to buy a new one! Possibly with the advice from you guys of where I should go to achieve a discount, I may even get a better price new than used. I haven't yet looked to see if anywhere offers military discount but will do a bit of research. Please advise away....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think forget the chance of a discount on a new steel sports model.
    The greys are selling for above list. (Iconic at least)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think forget the chance of a discount on a new steel sports model.
    The greys are selling for above list. (Iconic at least)
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'the greys'? Is that reference to all watches with a steel bracelet?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, grey dealers. Online suppliers that aren't officially authorised by Rolex.

'Greys' are non-authorised dealers which sell new, nearly new and used watches. Most popular seem to be Iconic Watches, Chronext and Watchfinder.

Steel Sports watches refer to the most popular (here) Rolex models, GMT, Explorer, Submariner, Seadweller which are always in demand and outside of Duty-Free are sold at a discount.

Easiest way to buy is go to your local Rolex dealer and place your order.

Craftsman
    Grey dealers are not authorised Rolex dealers however often stock brand new watches which are commonly sourced from within the EU or further afield. They still come with the original Rolex warranty as that is international but they can sell at basically any price as they are not obligated to stick to RRP.

The 114060 is a lovely watch, I had the original version (14060) years a go and loved it. Only reason I changed back then is I preferred the date model after trying both out.

Master
    Being newly single the date function will be useful when shopping in M&S for ready meals. Speaking from experience........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Steel Sports watches refer to the most popular (here) Rolex models, GMT, Explorer, Submariner, Seadweller
    I thought the sports models were those with the Mercedes hands?

Master
    How about the new skydweller in ss? Seems a relative bargain for a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    I thought the sports models were those with the Mercedes hands?
    Daytona?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're in the military and have a non-EU BFPO available then you should definitiely explore the option to get one from that direction. It'll come with a substantial VAT saving and as above you'd have to wait for a new one if you ordered it anyway.

Craftsman
    What about a BLNR if you can get hold of one? Something a little different..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    How about the new skydweller in ss? Seems a relative bargain for a Rolex.
    Please provide me with a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    If you're in the military and have a non-EU BFPO available then you should definitiely explore the option to get one from that direction. It'll come with a substantial VAT saving and as above you'd have to wait for a new one if you ordered it anyway.
    I may well be able to use a non EU BFPO address if a dealer is willing to ship there, will investigate...

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    What about a BLNR if you can get hold of one? Something a little different..
    What's a BLNR?

Craftsman
    Rolex GMT BLNR

picture host ru

Apologies for the pic being the wrong way round!

You can look on Chrono24, there are a few mint/preowned 114060's a bit under list price with most of the warranty remaining (that was my choice in the end)

Love mine

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Rolex GMT BLNR

picture host ru

Apologies for the pic being the wrong way round!
    It's nice but I think I prefer the submariner.

I'm in the military myself and I couldn't find anywhere that would ship a Rolex to a BFPO location. Iconic said they would ship anything apart from Rolex and Tudor.
    The only half decent dealer I found who would give a military discount were Page & Cooper (10%) which could be worth it if you add on the extra 20% BFPO saving.

Blog Entries
    Welcome.

If you can track down an AD with the stock pop along and try as many models as you can it will help make your mind up.

Do not dismiss the older models I personally prefer them to the newer ceramics.

Happy hunting and enjoy

Pitch

As a newly single man ,I can't believe you want to spend your money on watches when there's far more interesting things to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    As a newly single man ,I can't believe you want to spend your money on watches when there's far more interesting things to do

I can only think that the watch is part of a plan to impress the strippers...

Apprentice
    I do not enjoy the strippers! Paying to tease myself with no satisfactory outcome just doesn't work for me.

On Saturday I'm going to Ascot for the first time to no doubt damage the watch fund.

In August I'm booked to take my Porsche 911 Turbo around the track for the first time.

Other suggestions are of course welcome, but I do quite fancy a Rolex Submariner.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I do not enjoy the strippers! Paying to tease myself with no satisfactory outcome just doesn't work for me.

On Saturday I'm going to Ascot for the first time to no doubt damage the watch fund.

In August I'm booked to take my Porsche 911 Turbo around the track for the first time.

Other suggestions are of course welcome, but I do quite fancy a Rolex Submariner.
    I have the sub with date, which I believe are more desirable than the non date but each to their own.

One good thing is there are quite a few out there in the grey market but equally accessible direct from authorised agents.

I was in Prestons in Leeds recently and sub with date is a couple of months wait.

I currently have the cash for the new Daytona and it's an absolute mare ...

.... retail at £9100 with greys asking c£14000 !!!

Good luck and for what it's worth, having a real roller on the arm feels fab

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

You need to go to Thailand,cheap watches and suckee suckee 5 dollar

Well well well

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1961 View Post
    I have the sub with date, which I believe are more desirable than the non date but each to their own.
    Don't agree with that statement, yes the RRP is higher because they have a date function built in, but the no date is the original Submariner, the date version didn't come in for another 15 years.

Non WIS people probably prefer the date version with a cyclops, but apart from the Red Sub most of the highly desirable and sought after Subs are the original non date models.

Apprentice
    Personally, I just like the cleaner look without the date.

Blog Entries

I think you have made a good choice. The modern Submariner will last you a lifetime and have a robust movement like all modern Rolex typically accurate within a few seconds a day. You might want to look at the Explorer 1 as an alternative without the diving bezel it is a more discrete watch. But you can't go wrong either way.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Don't agree with that statement, yes the RRP is higher because they have a date function built in, but the no date is the original Submariner, the date version didn't come in for another 15 years.

Non WIS people probably prefer the date version with a cyclops, but apart from the Red Sub most of the highly desirable and sought after Subs are the original non date models.
    As I said others will have their opinions !!

Non date was superseded somewhat by the deepsea ?

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1961 View Post
    As I said others will have their opinions !!

Non date was superseded somewhat by the deepsea ?

Hang on, you are getting your Submariners and Seadwellers mixed up, the SD was replaced by the DSSD, then reintroduced as the SDc - the Sub non date is very much alive and well.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Hang on, you are getting your Submariners and Seadwellers mixed up, the SD was replaced by the DSSD, then reintroduced as the SDc - the Sub non date is very much alive and well.
    Not really ....

Master
    I thought it was sub and sub date.

Blog Entries
    Read the thread. The OP was asking about the modern 114060 version. Keep up at the back!

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I thought it was sub and sub date.
    Correct, but some people get very confused so Sub non date is used for ease, very much like Explorer 1 etc.

Journeyman
    Personally, I just like the cleaner look without the date.
    I second that

Journeyman
    approve of the no date, good choice!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think you have made a good choice. The modern Submariner will last you a lifetime and have a robust movement like all modern Rolex typically accurate within a few seconds a day. You might want to look at the Explorer 1 as an alternative without the diving bezel it is a more discrete watch. But you can't go wrong either way.

I do like that Explorer, as you say more discrete, it's still not taking me away from the Submariner though. Though there are plenty of models, for me, when I think of Rolex, I think of the Submariner. I think of it as a benchmark in watches. A standard to which other watches will be judged against. Some may believe it is a boring choice, or maybe for one lacking in imagination, but I just really, really like the Submariner

By all means though, keep your suggestions coming. I may yet be persuaded elsewhere (but unlikely).

I'm enjoying this forum so far

Apprentice
    As a newly single man, now without large mortgage payments to make; I feel it is about time I invested in a Rolex. I was considering purchasing one a couple of years ago but the then missus and I started saving for a house and so me ever owning a Rolex seemed an impossibility. Now I have money and freedom again, retail therapy is in order.

I'm almost certain I would like the latest version, dateless submariner 114060.

It would seem they sell for pretty much the same price second hand as they do brand new, therefore it makes sense to me to buy a new one! Possibly with the advice from you guys of where I should go to achieve a discount, I may even get a better price new than used. I haven't yet looked to see if anywhere offers military discount but will do a bit of research. Please advise away....
    New makes a lot of sense, but a nice matte acrylic Sub or Sea Dweller has a stunning look and seem closer to the original intents of the watch - worth considering - you can't underestimate a nice domed acrylic crystal above a matte black dial and nicely done lume. Still, the 114060 aint' too shabby and would last you a lifetime.

Consider one thing...

If you have a few watches at the moment and all/any of them have date; make sure the date is not required.

I find that the date complication is pretty much essential to me, I am ridgid about checking the date before I sign and date anything and I sign off important documents in my job every day/every hour.

You'll hear the argument that the non date sub is the 'purer' form of the sub and the date/cyclops ruin symmetry. The counters to that are the usefulness of the date and that the cyclops makes your watch somewhat more recognisable (should you care any inkling for recognition).

If you have had date so far in your watches I highly recommend buying a cheap no-date watch to see how you fair for a fortnight.

Go Sub my friend, timeless classic, goes with everything and for any occasion, you won't regret it.

Fella isn't a WIS (yet) but folk here are already bamboozling with esoteric Rolex speak and vintage suggestions! Come on, he just needs to know the safest, quickest and cheapest way of getting hold of a 114060.

...and that sir is to go to your nearest Rolex dealer (like Goldsmiths) and order one. A few months later it will turn up and a long term watch relationship will ensue. Forget the idea of a discount on a Sub through this route though.

If you want one quicker, be prepared to pay over list as the stainless steel Rolex sports models, as noted above, are extremely popular and supply is quite limited so outside of the official network there is a premium to pay for those who can't wait. If you go this route stick to the trusted grey market dealers noted above because there are an awful lot of convincing Submariner fakes out there and it's a proper minefield for the uninitiated.

Best of luck :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    You need to go to Thailand,cheap watches and suckee suckee 5 dollar

Now we're talking!

Master
    The sub is also a very sound investment keeping its value like no other. Even though I have the older 14060m, I would say the latest version the OP is referring to with all the improvements do elevate the watch to another level on a practical basis. The bracelet is extremely comfortable and considered the best out there, and the chromalite lume is just waay more visible and longer lasting.

Craftsman
    Get yourself on more than one waiting list and don't be put off by the wait time they tell you.

Many people on the list above you will have either already bought, won't answer or won't commit.

The grey dealers are a good place to start to just try on the various models.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Fella isn't a WIS (yet)
    What's a WIS?

Blog Entries
    What's a WIS?
    If you have to ask then you don't need to know. Others will be along in a moment to explain.

How many many watches do you own?

Martyn

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you have to ask then you don't need to know. Others will be along in a moment to explain.

How many many watches do you own?

Martyn
    I have a Skagen, and a Tag Heuer. I certainly don't have any intentions of building a huge collection though.

What's a WIS?
    Watch Idiot Savant: meaning the small community of Watch enthusiasts.

Non WIS on here usually referrers to the broader general public who buy a watch but have no real passion for the subject.

alcarmichael, put your name down at 2-3 official dealers for the Sub and ignore the time they quote you. Your phone will ring quicker than they will have you believe.

Regarding discount, good luck. In the UK you'll have more chance picking the lottery numbers than getting a penny off at the moment. If you have a holiday coming up it might be wise to buy overseas with a combination of tax free and dealers more willing to... deal.

I recently bought a Rolex from a UK AD and I didn't even bother asking for a discount as it would have been a nonstarter. Instead I paid on my Amex cashback card and have about £130 coming back to me on my card anniversary.

Craftsman
    Even the likes of Watchfinder aren't offering much of a discount on Subs at the minute - last time in enquired for a 2 year old Date they still wouldn't go below RRP!