closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speeding education classes

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Frankly, judging by your comments I suspect you've got a poor attitude towards this.

You were speeding, you were in the wrong. Try to keep an open mind and use the session for education. Don`t expect any favours, accept you're at fault, and try to take something constructive away from the session. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder you can be kicked off the course for showing a poor attitude....I`ve known it happen.

If you don`t think you're able to do this just pay the fine, accept the points, wear them like a badge of honour.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you've hung your chin out somewhat by asking the question and suggesting taking the fine might be preferable.

Paul
    I know where you are coming from. No I definitely accept it. It was a genuine mistake however it still happened and I was in control of the car no problems. I know I will hate it. However with the mileage I do I suppose I should take the course.
    The proliferation of cameras make it very difficult and mistakes do happen. I can have a laugh but it depends on the instructors as long as they are ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago and I`m now a reformed character. Speed limits and speed cameras are part and parcel of todays motoring, I get frustrated by the inconsistency of how speed limits are enforced, but I`ve long since learned to accept.

What I don`t understand about the courses is why they aren`t compulsory for those who are way over the limit, together with the fine and points. I got caught speeding on a motorway, got 5 points and a hefty fine, and was lucky not to be catching the bus for 3 months. It taught me a lesson because I was forced to think about things; some would find it hard to do that and that's where the course would help.

Car doing 90 has 65% more kinetic energy than a car doing 70. That energy has to go somewhere in an accident.

Paul

Master
    I can't think of any that are run by the police now, police officers are far better deployed doing actual policing is the thinking I suppose.

AA Drive Tech do the bulk of them, although I think there is another company doing them as well whose name I forget now.

I found mine quite informative. The presenters were genuinely knowledgeable as well as avoiding being patronising, and responded well to intelligent questions so it made it more interesting. There were a couple of mouthy and argumentative people too though, who did nothing but remove any chance of the course finishing early!

[QUOTE=walkerwek1958;4218524
    What I don`t understand about the courses is why they aren`t compulsory for those who are way over the limit, together with the fine and points. I got caught speeding on a motorway, got 5 points and a hefty fine, and was lucky not to be catching the bus for 3 months. It taught me a lesson because I was forced to think about things; some would find it hard to do that and that's where the course would help.

Car doing 90 has 65% more kinetic energy than a car doing 70. That energy has to go somewhere in an accident.

Paul[/QUOTE]

They will only offer these courses to people generally just over the speed limit ..maybe between 5 to 10 mph and who will more than likely learn from their mistake. You will not see any boy racers, chavs and the like on them as they are not the people they think would benefit. That is my understanding after speaking to an I.AM.
    Up where I am I haven't seen the Police do these courses and in anycase they should be out on other duties!

On a different, but related note.

If you have never done any advanced driver training it is well worth it. Not about driving slowly or being ultra careful - very informative about reading the road and making progress.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Do you get to choose when you do the course or are you told? I wonder if they do them at weekends to avoid taking a days leave from work.

Master
    I did one back in 2012, was a long 4 hours, avoided the 3 points but still have had to tell my insurer since as they asked and loaded the policy accordingly.

I got clocked doing 42 in a 30 or something in that region, had just exited a built up area and got caught just as it went from a 30 to a 50, basically sped up too early. Lesson learned, now I just get tailgated everywhere instead as I stick close to the limit. Shame there is no enforcement / courses for that.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdj10 View Post
    Do you get to choose when you do the course or are you told? I wonder if they do them at weekends to avoid taking a days leave from work.
    In my area you choose but w/e not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I did one back in 2012, was a long 4 hours, avoided the 3 points but still have had to tell my insurer since as they asked and loaded the policy accordingly.
    Think you are unlucky, they don't normally ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    AA Drive Tech do the bulk of them, although I think there is another company doing them as well whose name I forget now.
    Many other companies do them including TTC Group, Essex County Council etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I just get tailgated everywhere instead as I stick close to the limit. Shame there is no enforcement / courses for that.
    I never exceed 30s and 40s, they are nearly all there for a good reason. Sadly the tailgating is something you just have to get used to. The sad thing is it is normally the constant speed brigade and when you accelerate to 60 you leave them behind very quickly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    The proliferation of cameras make it very difficult and mistakes do happen. I can have a laugh but it depends on the instructors as long as they are ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There can be a million cameras, chocolate fireguard until the law is broken