closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Cellini, good buy or mistake??

Rolex Cellini, good buy or mistake??

A friend of mine asked me about some Rolex Cellinis his wife has expressed an interest in for a first Rolex, I don't know anything about these and a quick search shows autos, hand wind and Quartz. They all seem expensive to me, but the ones he showed me were all diamond encrusted ladies models, mostly white dials.
    I didn't know what to say really, just if you like it then buy it, but beware of a probably shrinking value.
    All the ones he showed me were used and on watchfinder.
    Now I see that DJs don't hold their value very well but the Cellini ?? What's the forum opinion.

Mistake.

The mother of all mistakes.

Quite possibly, outside of brands only sold in Caesers Palace, the worst for residuals. Ever.

There is a Gents model that I really like actually, but they plummet like you would not believe. Of course, if you're buying used that's a good thing. Stick to pre-owned precious metal (no diamonds) and it will never drop brought the floor due to the intrinsic value of the gold/platinum.

Master
    It's like marrying into the Middleton family but then finding you've got the brother.

Go for the Oysters, no further debate required if wearability and future value are important to her.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It's like marrying into the Middleton family but then finding you've got the brother.
    Spake the nail as it was squarely smote upon the head.

Master
    I find the current Cellini models are superb watches, which have allowed Rolex to escape the straight jacket of 'oyster''design.
    The current Cellinis use the great 31.. movements, with all the traditional robustness that implies. They have fine screw down crowns and are every bit as rugged as, say, my Omega Speedmaster. More water resistant actually. I love them both, Speedie and Cellini. Both great daily wears.
    My partner wears a Cellini Prince, which has it's own lovely, handwound, marvellously decorated movement and a transparent back. It looks lovely on a woman's wrist.one day it will be seen as a classic, at which point dealers will claim to hsve always known that.
    Who cares whether they sold well. We aren't lemmings , forever chasing the opinion of others.
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd December 2016 at 04:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ....doomed to endessly repeat themselves.
    The scale of irony surpasses even the split infinitive.

Go for the Oysters, no further debate required if wearability and future value are important to her.

H
    Ha! That's funny AND true as phrased.
    Very poor value retention but if that was not a major concern,the line does have some good looking watches and am sure have the Rolex quality.
    There is no 'forum opinion' and even if there was one,it wouldn't mean much.
    Just beware of the pitfalls on the secondary market.

Master
    The scale of irony surpasses even the split infinitive.
    Yes, well we can't all be Haywood Milton. Or even guardians of the rules of grammar; I'l just have to grapple with the language as best I can.
    Any other errors don't hesitate to let me know.
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd December 2016 at 04:39.

Banned
    Cellini is fine, just buy used and negotiate hard.

Master
    Yes, well we can't all be Haywood Milton. Or even guardians of the rules of grammar; I'l just have to grapple with the language as best I can.
    I'll, not I'l.

Well, you did ask.

I quite like some of the Cellini models, there was a rectangular shaped one on sales corner once which I really fancied and for a moment I really considered buying it. But then that would apply to another few dozen watches, too. 30 years ago, my mother once told me 'you can't have them all, no matter how hard you try'. She didn't mean watches at the time, but I suppose the truth in her statement is almost universal.....

The poor old Cellini really is unloved, which is a shame. Some of the gents models look suave and I would suggest quite cool. I perused the watchfinder ladies models and have to say they look quite elegant although the prices are undignified. Just to echo what's already been written- buy pre owned. If not Cellini, how about Cartier?

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/C..._sex_ss=Ladies
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 3rd December 2016 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I quite like some of the Cellini models, there was a rectangular shaped one on sales corner once which I really fancied and for a moment I really considered buying it. But then that would apply to another few dozen watches, too. 30 years ago, my mother once told me 'you can't have them all, no matter how hard you try'. She didn't mean watches at the time, but I suppose the truth in her statement is almost universal.....
    Women?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    The poor old Cellini really is unloved, which is a shame. Some of the gents models look suave and I would suggest quite cool. I perused the watchfinder ladies models and have to say they look quite elegant although the prices are undignified. Just to echo what's already been written- buy pre owned. If not Cellini, how about Cartier?

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/C..._sex_ss=Ladies
    I was admiring this one and wondering if that design had ever been made in a unisex/mens size.....and then I clocked the "6"....GAHHHH

Ah, here we are, 33mm and manual. Yes please :)

Last edited by Der Amf; 3rd December 2016 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Cellini is fine, just buy used and negotiate hard.
    Sums up my feelings as well,

This is one of the ones he showed me, I don't dislike it but he is not the kind of guy who likes watches, I did point out to him that if his wife fell out of love with it, he would take a proper bath selling it on.
    http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/C...330/item/67134

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Women?
    How did you guess that?

Just went back to Sales Corner and looked at the Cellini in question. Fantastic!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Prince-Everose

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I didn't know what to say really, just if you like it then buy it, but beware of a probably shrinking value.
    I think that's really all you can say.

To the majority of ladies, a watch is far more an item of jewellery than it's intrinsic value. As enthusiasts, I think we can sometimes lose the bigger picture regarding watches and the reason(s) most people buy them. The minutiae we obsess over matters little to others: that it looks attractive is probably all - and that it has a brand name that is associated with prestige is just icing on the cake.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I think that's really all you can say.

To the majority of ladies, a watch is far more an item of jewellery than it's intrinsic value. As enthusiasts, I think we can sometimes lose the bigger picture regarding watches and the reason(s) most people buy them. The minutiae we obsess over matters little to others: that it looks attractive is probably all - and that it has a brand name that is associated with prestige is just icing on the cake.

R
    Yes - a lot of normal people are buying 'the one' (birthday, wedding etc) - which they will own forever - the resale value is neither here nor there to them.

I don't understand why Cellinis are so almost universally unloved in the forums. I don't like dress watches myself but some of the ones with sub seconds look fine
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Surely the other side of the depreciation coin is that some precious metal pre-owned Cellinis are rather well priced? The smaller ones might make rather good ladies watches. The new range is also surprisingly attractive, though wouldn't be my first choice of logo on a dress watch. Hard to say why really, I guess Rolex just doesn't usually 'mean' dress watch somehow!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 3rd December 2016 at 14:34.

Master
    Your insomniac editing of your original post is fascinating.

Somewhat irritated by its comment directed at me, I screen-grabbed the following :

"Who cares what Milton thinks...."

My opinion counts for no more or less than anyone else's here, thankyou.

I reflected upon the fact that when you first joined this forum with a problem, having purchased a Cellini from a retailer who may not have helped fill in the gaps in your knowledge as they might before you bought it, I personally gave you private and substantial assistance to resolve the problem. I gave you perhaps £500-worth of my professional time and asked only that you put something into the tz-uk fundraiser.

This you did, to your credit, and it is why I have winced in silence every time since then when you have upset members of the forum with unfortunate posts and comments.

Then to be so directly and personally included in your post seemed supererogatory.

The only question in the OP's post was this: "Now I see that DJs don't hold their value very well but the Cellini ?? What's the forum opinion."

He did not ask the forum members whether they liked the Cellinis' styling or invite the white-dinner-jacket-small-man-in-a-big-world-everyone's-against-me-I-demand-that-everyone-accepts-my-choices-when-they-didn't-have-a-problem-with-them-in-the-first-place-buying-a-Cellini-is-my-tribute-to-the-spirit-of-Castro-I-call-it-individualism-but-to-everyone-else-it-is-standing-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-escalator brigade to launch a defence of the models' aesthetics or construction.

As it happens, I like the Cellini Dual Time in rose gold with silver dial.

Not wishing to write one of my longer posts, I felt that a concise if waspish response was perfect. Knowing that you were a journalist and having for decades been frustrated by the poor composition of many of your colleagues, it was irresistible to pick my favourite of your corrigenda.

I celebrate that we are different. It would be chuffing awful here if everyone were indeed me. There would be no biscuits and vintage Rolex would be a lot dearer still.

Our shared interests would probably enable us to enjoy a very pleasant conversation about watches face to face. I suspect that off-screen you are an interesting man with a wide experience of the world.

You should enjoy your Cellinis, but my commercial thoughts on them which directly answered the OP's question did not merit all that you had to say. Finally, to edit your post to remove the phrase which I had quoted is probably poor form, which is why I ultimately decided to post the screen grab.

I will not be so closed-minded as to put you on "ignore" as others have. You may well have much greater insight than I on something.....but call someone out on tz and they won't usually turn the other cheek.

Paix.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 3rd December 2016 at 23:24.

Master
    Corrigenda - everyday is a school day.

I've briefly pondered a Cellini in part because it is unloved however as a LUFC fan I'm struggling for obvious reasons. The much threatened takeover is however close so if anyone has a bargain second hand one they want to giveaway...

Your insomniac editing of your original post is fascinating.
    [...]
    I will not be so closed-minded as to put you on "ignore" as others have. You may well have much greater insight than I on something.....but call someone out on tz and they won't usually turn the other cheek.

Paix.

Haywood
    Quality post — that was magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Ain't it som'at to do with bullfighting?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Ain't it som'at to do with bullfighting?
    No, it is the list of jobs you can do while your wife is watching a soap opera.

Master
    I think that's called getting your backside handed to you on a plate.......

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post

I've briefly pondered a Cellini in part because it is unloved however as a LUFC fan I'm struggling for obvious reasons. The much threatened takeover is however close so if anyone has a bargain second hand one they want to giveaway...
    It's been close since I first went to Elland Road in the early eighties.

Just buy a Cellini, even buying a new one you'll probably lose less than investing in my favourite disappointment.

Having said that, they're up in fifth at the moment so my false hope is rising again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Having said that, they're up in fifth at the moment so my false hope is rising again!
    There's a direct correlation between hearing less from the melon head and their league position. Just waiting for him to scupper it all by not signing the key loanees but fingers crossed. I'm hoping for a Roofe brace today and a 3-1 win.

Master
    Chaps

The problem with the Cellini is that it is neither fish nor fowl.

Most people buy a Rolex because it is a bash proof tool, albeit spived up, whereas the purpose of a Cellini is to be a dress watch and the simple truth is that there are much better ones about.

Why buy a Cellini when you can buy say a JLC.

Dress watches have to conform to a dress code and the Cellini doesn't.

Regards

Mick

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For anyone young enough not to be regarded or addressed as a chap - Cellinis are beautiful watches, but their value plummets like a stone. With that in mind you pay your money and you take your choice.

(And I care what Haywood thinks because he's a genuine font of Rolex knowledge, unlike the resident AD botherer who changes his slant depending on whatever he's just purchased.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

The problem with the Cellini is that it is neither fish nor fowl.

Most people buy a Rolex because it is a bash proof tool, albeit spived up, whereas the purpose of a Cellini is to be a dress watch and the simple truth is that there are much better ones about.

Dress watches have to conform to a dress code and the Cellini doesn't.

Regards

Mick
    If I was marking this you'd get a "Could do better".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Because richemont sucks?

i think people buy cellinis because they like them as watches and not as a brand. And may actually be less of a show off because they don't care of others not reckognising what they are wearing.
    The sort of people who drive a cayman or a discovery sport you know, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    If I was marking this you'd get a "Could do better".
    Chap,
    You are a lenient marker.
    I would say-Go back to first grade and start all over again. And,better pay attention this time around:-)

No, it is the list of jobs you can do while your wife is watching a soap opera.
    Ha. Took a minute, but very good.

Master
    They sink like a stone on the second hand, but I'd still have a white gold Prince 5443, a Platinum Cellinium 5241 or a rose gold Danaos any day.

I mean £12k for a brand new solid platinum Rolex, and as little as half that on the second hand market - I just think it looks like tremendously good value and I'm really shocked Cellini don't have a better following in the UK. It was really nice seeing them in jewellers windows in America, I think David M Robinson are the only shop I've seen them in over here (and one was on its stand upside-down - 'nuff said).

Master
    Epic mistake, even 2nd hand, because her friends will have no clue what it is and assume her partner's been cheap.

Best stick to the classics in quartz, for the ladies -

Cartier Tank
    Cartier Ballon Bleu
    Longines Grand Classique
    Rolex Datejust 28mm
    Daniel Wellington

Or even Rolex Daytona -

Last edited by J J Carter; 3rd December 2016 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    How did you guess that?

Just went back to Sales Corner and looked at the Cellini in question. Fantastic!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Prince-Everose

Now I really like that.

That Rolex prince is lovely, and if you want an Art Deco style watch, it is a nice alternative to Cartier and JLC.

The current Cellini models at 39mm are too big for a dress watch, and that is before you consider value retention.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The current Cellini models at 39mm are too big for a dress watch, and that is before you consider value retention.
    Sadly, it seems there's usually something off with every Cellini. The new ones are simply amazing looking but, as you say, too big. The Prince is amazing if you're into that - but it's not my style. The PT version (ref 5241) is pretty nice looking but it's 38mm with a weirdly too large bezel. I wish Cellini offered a legitimate Calatrava alternative because it would be an enormous bargain 2nd hand, and I'd much rather deal with Rolex service than PP.

Grand Master
    Can`t understand all the negative comments regarding values and depreciation etc.

If you can afford the watch you can afford to spend the money, if you can`t you shouldn`t buy it. If I was looking to buy a watch at this value I`d be buying it to keep indefinitely so the residual value wouldn`t be an issue. Buying a watch with one eye on how much you could sell it for is flawed IMO, it isn`t like buying cars where you sell them after a few years.......at least it isn`t in my view.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t understand all the negative comments regarding values and depreciation etc.

If you can afford the watch you can afford to spend the money, if you can`t you shouldn`t buy it. If I was looking to buy a watch at this value I`d be buying it to keep indefinitely so the residual value wouldn`t be an issue. Buying a watch with one eye on how much you could sell it for is flawed IMO, it isn`t like buying cars where you sell them after a few years.......at least it isn`t in my view.

Paul
    A decent number of people have been buying watches they can't afford while banking on them going up in value for as long as I've been on the forums - and that's been a long time.

I like a couple of the new range, and would love a 38mm platinum version of the older model - but should have bought one at what was a crazily low price. I'm sure I'll try a used one one day :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Much of this thread looks at these questions because they are exactly what the OP asked the forum to discuss.

Total cost of ownership is a valid concern and this is less clear than the simple cost to buy.

H

Much of this thread looks at these questions because they are exactly what the OP asked the forum to discuss.

Total cost of ownership is a valid concern and this is less clear than the simple cost to buy.

H
    Absolutely so.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what his response was to your advice.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.