closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 8 day clock

Craftsman

8 day clock

I am hoping someone may be able to help
    I recently purchased an 8 day clock, upon receiving the clock i found the following problem, when the watch is wound the hands spin as you wind the clock, any of our forum experts have any ideas what the problem is? easy fix or not? I will probably get a refund if it is too dificult /expensive to be repaired.

Steve

Last edited by Steve B; 28th October 2016 at 15:20.

Hi, nice looking clock. I have a similar looking one, although with 2 barrels, being repaired and serviced at the moment. I'm not an expert but is sounds like something to do with the escapement is broken.

What I can say is that, not knowing what you paid for yours, they aren't hugely valuable, maybe £130 for a working one. It's probably going to cost at least £100 to have it repaired, more if parts have to be made. Maybe an expert has a better alternative though.

Mine has sentimental value so I'm very happy with what I'm paying to have it repaired, but if you haven't fallen in love with yours yet maybe worth sending it back.

Nice thing though, lovely dial (watch out for the radium).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I am hoping someone may be able to help
    I recently purchased an 8 day clock, upon receiving the clock i found the following problem, when the watch is wound the hands spin as you wind the clock, any of our forum experts have any ideas what the problem is? easy fix or not? I will probably get a refund if it is too dificult /expensive to be repaired.

Steve
    If the hands just spin then you have a problem and a broken part, for the hands to spin the escapement is not doing its job. So think pallet jewel missing, broken pivots on a wheel etc.
    Hopefully you can find someone who has parts for this old pocket watch movement, being an 8 day I assume it is an old goliath pocket watch movement.

Journeyman

Clock

Have you got the case that it goes in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by antonyh View Post
    Have you got the case that it goes in.
    It didn't come with a case, but I do have a case with a similar clock in it.

I will be sending it back anyway, it looks as though it will be too expensive to repair.

Steve