closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn u2s alternatives?

Apprentice

Sinn u2s alternatives?

Need some help from you guys. I'm looking for a watch fit for work and came across the sinn: https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...r-strap-sn-178

It is perfect for me, highly scratch resistant, water resistant and the look. However the price is twice as much as what I'd like to pay for a work watch and there aren't many preowned it seems...

Are there any alternatives with similar looks and specs?

Craftsman
    I was after a daily which could take a beating and was looking at the various Sinn U series or a while, ended up with a Damasko DA45. Not that similar looking, but very robust with hardening processes for the steel, plenty of stories of them suffering years of abuse and still looking like new.

Sinn U1

Craftsman
    If you are looking for something which can take some a abuse - you are probably better off avoiding a black PVD model. Even hardened this will show marks over time... Just a thought.

You could always try Damasko. Their ice hardened steel cases are well know for being extremely robust.

Something like this photo I stole:

More to choose from here: https://www.pageandcooper.com/brands/damasko/
    Last edited by Lampoc; 5th August 2016 at 13:45.

Master
    As he said ^^^^^
    This is my white dial DA47. Not common second hand but c£600 for an older one. There was a black dial on SC for that price earlier this week. Worth every penny as a tool watch with little/no depreciation at that price (servicing costs idc obviously but it's an eta inside with Damasko's own special seals).

Apprentice
    The Damasko watches looks interesting will definitely consider. Came across the Dievas, anyone have experience with this brand, similar toughness as Sinn/Damasko watches?

What type of work?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by tricktock View Post
    If you are looking for something which can take some a abuse - you are probably better off avoiding a black PVD model. Even hardened this will show marks over time... Just a thought.
    Sinn's tegimented finishes are a bit different to your average PVD.

I've had one a year and it doesn't have a mark on it (I wore out on an outdoor activity event at work recently - Obstacle course, carrying tyres and logs, rock climbing wall).

M.

Master
    Probably worth looking at the Marathon TSAR or GSAR range. As tough as..... supposed to be the tool for the special US forces. Last time I looked they were c. £500-£600. Might be more than that now though.

see

https://windycitywatchcollector.com/...athon-watches/
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 5th August 2016 at 14:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sinn's tegimented finishes are a bit different to your average PVD.

I've had one a year and it doesn't have a mark on it (I wore out on an outdoor activity event at work recently - Obstacle course, carrying tyres and logs, rock climbing wall).

M.
    Nice, good to know

My ears are burning, this now looks to be a Damasko thread. Dusty keyboard is entirely optional.

Depends on your line of work, mine is just worn at home and it has scratches to the black coating, in any kind of construction type job the coating (finish or however they sell it) would not last. I also have a GSAR which is my primary work watch, for an auto its been a solid performer, kangos & wacker plates included, unlike the Lumtec Combat B13 I had where the seconds hand fell off the first time I tickled some ballast with a shovel. Looks nothing like a U2 mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    You could always try Damasko. Their ice hardened steel cases are well know for being extremely robust.

Something like this photo I stole:

More to choose from here: https://www.pageandcooper.com/brands/damasko/
    I am a real fan of that look! Also like the normal case with white face.

Too many watches to consider another Damasko, though (unless someone can tempt me to part with some £££s)

Al

I have a fully tegimented U1 but don't consider it to be a 'tough watch' even though it's my daily wearer. The reason? Basically it runs a standard Sellita movement so not any 'tougher' than any other auto (in the same way I don't think a Seadweller is any tougher than a datejust). A UX would be tougher, or a G shock of any description.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I use a Sinn U1 for manual work, I don't know how many times I have banged, scraped and generally abused the watch, I have got over that sinking feeling after a good bang (I know) and the trepidation as one lifts one's arm to inspect the damage. There is none, no damage whatsoever, I'm amazed.

Apprentice
    I've decided to do a 360 and will get a G-Shock instead, I think I'll be too worried about scratching or denting a Sinn/Damasko!

I have decided on the gshock gn1000-1aer (Pepsi style)

However doesn't appear to be many shops that have this, does anyone know UK shops that stock this. (preferably not Ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    I think I'll be too worried about scratching or denting a Sinn/Damasko!

Not really sure what to say to you... The net is chock full of stories about folk wearing their U1 for all sorts of crazy stuff and it survives it all. But hey, if you want a nice Casio I guess you won't be happy with a piece of German engineering.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Not really sure what to say to you... The net is chock full of stories about folk wearing their U1 for all sorts of crazy stuff and it survives it all. But hey, if you want a nice Casio I guess you won't be happy with a piece of German engineering.
    With a Gshock I know I won't be worried about scratches or even breaking it 'if' it happens. Also the timer is useful to me (work) and the world time (private use).

Having said that I'll probably still end up with a Sinn/Damasko!

Master
    Something less fussy Sir?
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-3590.html

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Never seen this one before. Easy on the eye! http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-4673.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Never seen this one before. Easy on the eye! http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-4673.html

One of the issues I have with Seiko are they offer just so many watches and a good percentage of them just look so darn good! I counted over 200 in the 'mens' section of their UK web site. Heck that's nearly 7 months of watches with never the same one twice!

Not a diver but with it's hardened steel case and lower price point, the Archimeds Outdoor Protect could fit the bill? Good review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5pkJXkiRlE

Master
    You might also consider a Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon, albeit it a pre-owned model. Well worth throwing into the mix.

Prs18q. Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    I've decided to do a 360 and will get a G-Shock instead, I think I'll be too worried about scratching or denting a Sinn/Damasko!

I have decided on the gshock gn1000-1aer (Pepsi style)

However doesn't appear to be many shops that have this, does anyone know UK shops that stock this. (preferably not Ebay)
    Try Amazon, sure I have that model for around £220

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

G-Shocks are almost literally unbeatable as rough-work-environment watches, though I'd personally recommend something less busy than that particular one.

On the subject of Sinn, I found that the hardended steel makes a huge difference. These two clasps got roughly equal amounts of wear; one on my U1 and one on an 856S that my brother had for a few years:

The case of the 856S is hardened and held up much better, though you can see where the black coating is starting to wear through at the edges:

In general, I'd stay away any kind of coating on a watch; not only does it show marks eventually, but it also makes the watch unrefinishable and has a bit of the lame mall ninja stigma to it. Also, I find that large mechanical watches aren't the best idea for hands-on work; it's better to get something lower-profile for so many reasons. Mind you, my U1 didn't seem too much worse for wear after a few years as my offshore-duty watch, but I'd want something less bulky if I were to head to the field again.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    G-Shocks are almost literally unbeatable as rough-work-environment watches, though I'd personally recommend something less busy than that particular one.

I really like the look of that Sinn, but not sure if the colour of the strap does it justice.

Al