closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's absolutely scorching down here today!

It's absolutely scorching down here today!

It's 31 degrees at the moment and very uncomfortably hot.

Dot has had to retreat to her cage in the cool part of the kitchen.

Got this until Wednesday apparently.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Same up here in North Norfolk - kids can't sleep, I can't sleep, the wife can't sleep..........but a cold bottle of beer now counts officially as a cooling aid/medicine so it's not all bad! - probably be pouring with rain by Thursday though, so they all need drinking 😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

No problem up here.
    I walked the pooches last night, with a T-shirt, jumper and coat on. Not forgetting my gloves! Seriously in July?!!
    Sleeping is super easy too. The log fire was on over the weekend.

I had the best nights sleep in a while. My cats stayed out all night instead of sleeping on top of me........................

Blog Entries
    Just love it what's not to like? we have two rag tops wifey is in London today so I went out in the Mini super fun through the country lanes, dogs are in the shade all fed and kipping, I am having a nice cold one. I have not worn trousers or jeans since a wedding couple of weeks ago and have no intention of other than going to a lunch meeting on Friday of doing so in the near future

I'm cold and cheesed off. It's 23 here and it was 37 yesterday at Aqualand in Corfu

http://www.aqualand-corfu.com/index.asp?lng=en

I've had breakfast outside for a fortnight, and now, well you get the message

Master
    Some very nice skimpily dressed young ladies around town today.....gladdens the heart this warm weather....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    45 Centigrade in the shade here this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    No problem up here.
    I walked the pooches last night, with a T-shirt, jumper and coat on. Not forgetting my gloves! Seriously in July?!!
    Sleeping is super easy too. The log fire was on over the weekend.
    Hate the heat. Give me the north-northern european (sorry for the Partridgism) experience over the supposedly-ideal mediterrenean climate any day of the week.

(Although the low humidity, mild temperature, high sunshine climate of parts of California is the perfect climate for me).

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Same up here in North Norfolk - kids can't sleep, I can't sleep, the wife can't sleep..........
    Get a fan for everybody in the house. Put it on your bedside table and blast it at you all night.

Works a treat for us an our bedroom is in the loft where the temperature is even warmer, and I find the white noise of the fan aids sleep.

Usually a massive run on fans from Currys and the like at this time of year.

Trick I got taught hauling stock around in a hot cellar under a shop:

Half fill a 2 litre plastic bottle with water and freeze it.
    Place it in the doorway of your bedroom
    Place a fan beyond it, blowing the air past the frozen bottle.

This will make a significant difference to the temperature of the room.

On a hot sticky day, just before going to bed I have a hot shower to nice and clean and then turn the temperature down bit by bit until it's too cold to be borne. Then I go to bed, feeling icy, and my body appreciates the warming effect of the bed clothes and finds a happy level.

Blog Entries
    Yes, hot overhere as well. I had the idea to take the boys to an amusement park with rollercoasters: Phantasialand in Cologne (Germany). But with 34+ degrees tomorrow and a 5 hr round trip, we'll wait till Thursday when it's cooler.

Sleeping is no problem, luckily. Our bedroom faces north-east and the trees from the park where I live next to, give enough shadow to keep it cool-ish inside (23 degrees or so).

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Get a fan for everybody in the house. Put it on your bedside table and blast it at you all night.

Works a treat for us an our bedroom is in the loft where the temperature is even warmer, and I find the white noise of the fan aids sleep.

Usually a massive run on fans from Currys and the like at this time of year.
    Same here - white noise helps block out the late evening noise of sirens and the early morning sound of magpies and airplanes in the Heathrow stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Same here - white noise helps block out the late evening noise of sirens and the early morning sound of magpies and airplanes in the Heathrow stack.
    St Margaret's or Twickenham?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Last night I took the fold down bed (z bed thing for guests) out from under the stairs, rolled it out and slept in the garden on the patio, out there with my ipad on its bendy arm thing watching Watchmen on Netflix.

I will be doing the same tonight, it was bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    St Margaret's or Twickenham?
    Biggin stack - bad enough when on easterly ops, worse on westerly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Dot has had to retreat to her cage in the cool part of the kitchen.
    With well over 40 degrees ours cool themselves by soaking in the river.
    Here is Karel, sitting wet in a wheel barrow under a tree, catching more draft and sitting off the hot ground.

Master
    Just played an hour's football in 27C. Good workout!

Trimmed three bushes (I dislike an unruly bush) then went skinny-dipping in the pool.

I was on a cruise a few weeks ago...Northern Europe. The temperatures soared as we went further north and it was totally azure sky with Mediterranean sun on a latitude north of Orkney. Weird.

23 degrees at the moment and with a forecast 33 at lunchtime.

I'll make sure I'm indoors by then.

Took Dot out twice yesterday and both times she wanted to come home after 20 minutes. She's not keen on the heat either.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm so glad I have aircon in the bedroom.

we just finished having all of the factory ceiling lights replaced with LED, the old ones were 100 times 1200 x 600 four tube fluorescents, the temperature has actually dropped by 10 degrees.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    23 degrees at the moment and with a forecast 33 at lunchtime.

I'll make sure I'm indoors by then.

Took Dot out twice yesterday and both times she wanted to come home after 20 minutes. She's not keen on the heat either.
    Neil
    We have four dogs two Yorkies and two Shih tzu and lave left walking until late in the evening when it has cooled imagine if you were walking around in this heat in a fur coat

Waiting outside the barber's. Hadn't realised how thick hair had got until weather shifted gear

Blog Entries
    Is Dot into swimming? My wife's BT certainly liked it! On the other hand: when I was a young lad, we had an enormous Rottweiler. That dog hated water. Rain, puddles on the street: he avoided it like the plague. On hot days, my mum used to open the door to the cellar. The dog went downstairs and stayed there all day!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    28C here in Croydon already... and there's no shade between the office and the station so I'm going to be dripping before I get on the train back to Peterborough later.

:(

At least it's stopped the grass growing in the garden... with all the rain recently I could barely keep up with it.

Chuffing hot here in Berkshire

Work have arranged for an icecream van to sit in our carpark for the next 3 hrs and all 300 employees have been issued with a voucher, nice

Now, the tricky thing is, what do i get? 99's are good, but a lolly is more refreshing

Brighty

It's 32.6c on my balcony today too hot for me! Having to stay in awaiting delivery of new boiler as if I'm not boiled already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Neil
    We have four dogs two Yorkies and two Shih tzu and lave left walking until late in the evening when it has cooled imagine if you were walking around in this heat in a fur coat
    What fur coats?? 😎😎

I remember being in Legoland 3 years ago and it hit 34 Degrees

didn't mind as I'm used to it - but only one drinkning fountain was working in the whole park, the others had their taps removed - of course plently of stalls selling overpriced bottles of water
    the slushy ice drinks machines weren't working properly as the ice did not stay ice long enough and melted too soon in the vats

Getting married tomorrow in London. In a tweed jacket and waistcoat, God help me...

Well after moaning all summer I can now say it's scorching here today!!!!

It has been 29 degrees this morning and the first cloud went past the sun at 1pm. Our first shorts-in-the-garden-day (just happen to have a day off). Our one day summer is here

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Well after moaning all summer I can now say it's scorching here today!!!!

It has been 29 degrees this morning and the first cloud went past the sun at 1pm. Our first shorts-in-the-garden-day (just happen to have a day off). Our one day summer is here
    Hooray!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Neil
    Cheers Mart.

Dot has got very little fur and virtually none on her beak which I have to put sunscreen on.

I just give her a short run out in the mornings and my youngest takes her out in the evenings.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Is Dot into swimming? My wife's BT certainly liked it! On the other hand: when I was a young lad, we had an enormous Rottweiler. That dog hated water. Rain, puddles on the street: he avoided it like the plague. On hot days, my mum used to open the door to the cellar. The dog went downstairs and stayed there all day!
    No, Dot hates water Menno.

If you go to walk out of the door with her and it is drizzling she'll pull you back indoors!

She's got three beds dotted around the house but as my dining room faces north she is in here with me mostly.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Getting married tomorrow in London. In a tweed jacket and waistcoat, God help me...

Congratulations !!!! (don't do it!)

Have a great day, and don't drink too much

What watch are you wearing ? (this is the most important bit)

Grand Master
    Too bloody hot in sunny West Yorkshire at the moment too!

Just had a drive out in the MGB, and a 1hr walk over hilly ground. Too hot for walking, far too hot to take the Labrador out (he hates it!), too hot to mend watches in my south-facing workshop (Can`t open windows, it blows parts around!).

Might have to resort to sitting in the garden, finding some shade, headphones on, a good book, and several cans of beer....I`d much prefer to be decorating the bedroom or digging the garden but it's too damned hot

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Congratulations !!!! (don't do it!)

Have a great day, and don't drink too much

What watch are you wearing ? (this is the most important bit)
    It has to be vintage Rolex (bought from SC of course), 1550 to slip under the cuff for the ceremony then 5513 when I get to roll my sleeves up later :)

Master
    Congratulations Drafty!

I gave up pretending to work at around four this afternoon and retired to the swimming pool and garden furniture with a Mojito.

Have just looked in the mirror and seen that I have white marks beneath what would be charitably called my pecs where they shaded me from the sun. I believe Cat Stevens wrote a song about this syndrome, "Moob Shadow"?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Might have to resort to sitting in the garden, finding some shade, headphones on, a good book, and several cans of beer....I`d much prefer to be decorating the bedroom or digging the garden but it's too damned hot

Paul
    You'd prefer to do what?! You mad bugger! : )

31C in Henley today, far too hot to work but someone's got to I guess. So glad I bought a convertible when I did.

Cheers,
    Gary

Stationary traffic on the M3 this morning, main hose to air con ruptured. Seeing the clouds of vapour rising from under the bonnet I thought the engine had caught fire for a second.

Anyway, it was a damn hot drive to Banstead and back after that.

My god, its hot.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    You'd prefer to do what?! You mad bugger! : )

31C in Henley today, far too hot to work but someone's got to I guess. So glad I bought a convertible when I did.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Went for another drive this afternoon, took a mate out and drove to a pub. After another 1hr driving in the hot sun with the roof down I've got a face/head like a strawberry .

Getting sunburnt in a convertible is all too easy!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Went for another drive this afternoon, took a mate out and drove to a pub. After another 1hr driving in the hot sun with the roof down I've got a face/head like a strawberry .

Getting sunburnt in a convertible is all too easy!
    There's this stuff Paul, it's called sun-cream. Factor 50 is what's required

Speaking of cars, please please please do not leave dogs, cats, kids and elderly in the cars even for a 'minute', it gets extremely hot almost immediately in this sort of weather... Oh and plenty of fluids for all involved, hydrate even if you think you are not thirsty... (And that's the end of Public Service Announcement).
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Great day to enjoy some sun.

Pacha thought the same....

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    car showed 43c when I finished my father caring duties this afternoon at 1600 and had only dropped to 34.5c when I got home at 1800. finished washing the cars by floodlight at 2230 and just hung some washing out as it is still 23c with a pleasant breeze - thunderstorms tomorrow then back to 22c on Thursday!

just finished my ninth pint of water of the day and feel vaguely hydrated. The Sea Dweller coped with the sweat whilst sorting out father's greenhouse today - must have been 40c in there (he's a very insistent belligerent alcoholic )

regards

Saggs

Quote Originally Posted by saggs View Post
    ...... thunderstorms tomorrow then back to 22c on Thursday!
    I look forward to it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My local weather station reached 21½°C at 07h00...on its way down, and it's forecast to reach 20°C around 09h00 before rising once more.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Speaking of cars, please please please do not leave dogs, cats, kids and elderly in the cars even for a 'minute', it gets extremely hot almost immediately in this sort of weather... Oh and plenty of fluids for all involved, hydrate even if you think you are not thirsty... (And that's the end of Public Service Announcement).
    and wear sunscreen ... UV levels will be extra high even in the shade or if you're lucky to get a cool breeze

It was lovely and overcast this morning although still hot.

However since midday the sun has come out again.

I came in from walking Dot and was so hot I fell asleep on the sofa in my pants and the Mrs let people in!!
    Cheers,
    Neil.