closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daytona: Will the ceramic bezel fit old model.

Daytona: Will the ceramic bezel fit old model.

Funnily enough I was offered the new Daytona by a major Rolex dealer in Singapore today for S$26k, which is S$9k over list (about 14k sterling).

I have the older model (2008). Does anyone know if I will be able to fit the new ceramic bezel to old model?

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Funnily enough I was offered the new Daytona by a major Rolex dealer in Singapore today for S$26k, which is S$9k over list (about 14k sterling).

I have the older model (2008). Does anyone know if I will be able to fit the new ceramic bezel to old model?
    I'm sure it will fit straight on. However, Rolex will not fit the ceramic bezel to a 116520 as it changes the factory spec. They won't sell the loose bezel either. I'm sure it won't be long before an aftermarket part is available on ebay at $200 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    I'm sure it will fit straight on. However, Rolex will not fit the ceramic bezel to a 116520 as it changes the factory spec. They won't sell the loose bezel either. I'm sure it won't be long before an aftermarket part is available on ebay at $200 or so...
    Thanks I understand that getting the loose bezel from Rolex will be hard but sure there will be a way.

Hadn't someone on here done it already? Sure I saw an older daytona with a ceramic bezel. It was definitely black anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is one on here. Probably used a bezel from one of the Rose Gold Daytona's I suspect.

- - - Updated - - -

There is one on here. Probably used a bezel from one of the Rose Gold Daytona's I suspect.

Indeed, it appears that aftermarket ceramic bezels for the 116520 were available before the 116500LN even came out:

source: limitedwatches

These off-brand bezels look a bit crap right now, but no doubt that will change rapidly, if it hasn't happened already.

Master
    ...and inform Rolex about the behaviour of the "major dealer".

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    ...and inform Rolex about the behaviour of the "major dealer".
    Pricing over MRSP on popular models in Singapore is common place and has been for a while, not sure if this practice is common across the whole of Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Hadn't someone on here done it already? Sure I saw an older daytona with a ceramic bezel. It was definitely black anyway.
    That would be me on a 16520...

It's a lot nicer looking than the one Belligero posted, which I agree looks nasty!

Will certainly be looking to pick up one of the 116500 bezels as and when they do become available (although I'm sure they won't be cheap...!)

All the best,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    That would be me on a 16520...

It's a lot nicer looking than the one Belligero posted, which I agree looks nasty!

Will certainly be looking to pick up one of the 116500 bezels as and when they do become available (although I'm sure they won't be cheap...!

All the best,

Paul
    They won't become available Paul. The only way you'll get a bezel from Rolex is by returning your 116500 with the bezel missing. The parts will not be available over the counter from Rolex UK or to order from an AD.

Master
    They won't become available Paul. The only way you'll get a bezel from Rolex is by returning your 116500 with the bezel missing. The parts will not be available over the counter from Rolex UK or to order from an AD.
    Im not sure it fits the old daytonas. Would be a real hassle for ADs to have to ship all watches back. Like the Kermit sub today...

Time will tell

Master
    I doubt Rolex will sell or fit a ceramic bezel to an older Daytona when they can sell you a new one.

Journeyman
    The same could be said for 100's of Rolex parts and you're telling me that they never end up for sale online? Don't be so naive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I doubt Rolex will sell or fit a ceramic bezel to an older Daytona when they can sell you a new one.
    Of course they won't. Another completely pointless thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RufusRolex View Post
    The same could be said for 100's of Rolex parts and you're telling me that they never end up for sale online? Don't be so naive.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course they won't. Another completely pointless thread.
    Eleven posts deep... that's quite the attitude...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Eleven posts deep... that's quite the attitude...
    Please feel free to point out any inaccuracies. Otherwise, pipe down.

My my we're a feisty one!

Quote Originally Posted by RufusRolex View Post
    Naive? Do go on, give us the benefit of your experience...
    Last edited by Hackett.dp; 1st July 2016 at 21:11.

I wanted a airking fluted bezel and they are impossible to purchase as Rolex don't want to know as they keep to factory specifications. All I can get are stainless steel alternatives on ebay and I don't want to do that as it doesn't seem right having a rolex and buying a cheap bezel.

Knowing how in demand the ceramic Daytona I think it would be impossible, good luck!

Journeyman
    A 16610LV insert had never appeared online for sale. Nope.

Don't get involved with bell*nds Dom!

Sam's Panerai done yet..? :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Pricing over MRSP on popular models in Singapore is common place and has been for a while, not sure if this practice is common across the whole of Asia.
    even MSRP is higher for some (or is it most?) brands/models... a german watch i was eyeing had a MSRP of about USD2,200 in the US, while here the MSRP was about USD2,900-3000

EDIT: must be the sale/discount culture, people expect them for most everything so retailers/distributors inflate the MSRP to accommodate "bigger" discounts ��
    Last edited by sinncollector; 2nd July 2016 at 05:45.

Apprentice
    A friend recently bought a Batman GMT and Rolex India refused to sell him a brushed Submariner bracelet which he likes more for his watch. They claimed that it wouldn't fit. If he goes back and argues that the case is identical and that it ought to fit, they'll just tell him it isn't designed for his watch. If he wants a submariner bracelet, buy the submariner!

I can very well believe it is next to impossible to get any non spec parts from Rolex. Here the dealers are so arrogant that if anyone goes in with a QC issue, the first thing they do is claim the watch is a fake. If they find the watch was bought from a competing dealer or god forbid, overseas, they'll fight like hell to absolve themselves from all service responsibilities. And obviously the last thing you'd want to do as an owner is threaten to talk to Rolex corporate when you are trying to get a dealer to take care of a $10,000 watch!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theEntreriCode View Post
    A friend recently bought a Batman GMT and Rolex India refused to sell him a brushed Submariner bracelet which he likes more for his watch. They claimed that it wouldn't fit. If he goes back and argues that the case is identical and that it ought to fit, they'll just tell him it isn't designed for his watch. If he wants a submariner bracelet, buy the submariner!

I can very well believe it is next to impossible to get any non spec parts from Rolex. Here the dealers are so arrogant that if anyone goes in with a QC issue, the first thing they do is claim the watch is a fake. If they find the watch was bought from a competing dealer or god forbid, overseas, they'll fight like hell to absolve themselves from all service responsibilities. And obviously the last thing you'd want to do as an owner is threaten to talk to Rolex corporate when you are trying to get a dealer to take care of a $10,000 watch!
    If they are being so precious, then he should just buy a good fake Rolex bracelet. They are a lot cheaper, the quality is good and and they fit just fine, as long as he gets the right one...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    If they are being so precious, then he should just buy a good fake Rolex bracelet. They are a lot cheaper, the quality is good and and they fit just fine, as long as he gets the right one...
    Thanks! I'll let him know about this option. Would you happen to have any sources so I can point him in the right direction?

Banned
    Thanks! I'll let him know about this option. Would you happen to have any sources so I can point him in the right direction?
    PM sent...

So does that mean the Rolex warranty is as good as void in India if not purchased from visited dealer?

PM sent...
    So you're now pushing fake stuff? Interesting. Moronic, but interesting.

The GMT and Submariner case are different. The simplest option is simply to have the polished centre links brushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    So does that mean the Rolex warranty is as good as void in India if not purchased from visited dealer?
    No. But sounds like you just have to push hard. Not sure if you've been to India? I worked there for 4 years and sometimes ou have to repeat yourself over and over again, push and push to get the simplest jobs done. Culturally they are very different!

Quote Originally Posted by sinncollector View Post
    even MSRP is higher for some (or is it most?) brands/models... a german watch i was eyeing had a MSRP of about USD2,200 in the US, while here the MSRP was about USD2,900-3000

EDIT: must be the sale/discount culture, people expect them for most everything so retailers/distributors inflate the MSRP to accommodate "bigger" discounts 
    Can't really comment on MSRP variations I was referring to the fact over pricing on popular models is commonplace and unlike in some other countries not frowned apon by Rolex so it seems!

I have seen a receipt posted where the extra was added as an additional charge maybe this is how they get round it, the watch is listed as MSRP and the extra was listed as 'services' maybe. Also there has been a price difference in Singapore between the 116520 black vs white due to one being more popular.

I'm getting sidetracked here what I was getting at is AD's price above MSRP on popular models and get it and as far as it seems Rolex are ok with this as its been like this for as long as I can remember which was the point I was making to Ach5's comment about reporting the AD
    Last edited by pitbull666; 2nd July 2016 at 07:17.

Apprentice
    PM sent...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

The GMT and Submariner case are different. The simplest option is simply to have the polished centre links brushed.
    He's toyed with this idea but wants to keep the watch stock incase he decides to flip it. Its his daily wearer so he's a bit cheesed off about the scratches on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Not quite, you'll get your watch fixed under warranty, just be prepared for a sour experience. Getting the famed Rolex service is not guaranteed. One literally needs to throw weight around to be treated like a human being. Essentially if you can behave like a pompous narcissistic land baron then you'll be fine. Last time I was in an exclusive dealership in an upmarket mall, the sales executive spoke to me like he was doing me a favour showing me Rolex watches. Insulted my Omega AT Annual Calendar and in general behaved like a luxury watch isn't a watch if it isn't a rolex. Rather strange because the same group owns several showrooms in the same mall one of which displays and sells ALS. I very calmly saw what I wanted to see and left before I got cheesed of enough to give the dude a piece of my mind.

Apprentice
    understood, i just got a little carried away there and went off track for a bit hee

but yeah, pricing over msrp is quite commonplace here for rolex and fans here seem to just accept it as it is - a long running practice by local ad's (probably with the support of the manufacturers). not to say everyone's ok with it (i'm not) as i still see a lot of people (myself included) sourcing from overseas instead, especially during vacation, frequent business trips, etc. since it's been easier than ever to source stuff elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Can't really comment on MSRP variations I was referring to the fact over pricing on popular models is commonplace and unlike in some other countries not frowned apon by Rolex so it seems!

I have seen a receipt posted where the extra was added as an additional charge maybe this is how they get round it, the watch is listed as MSRP and the extra was listed as 'services' maybe. Also there has been a price difference in Singapore between the 116520 black vs white due to one being more popular.

I'm getting sidetracked here what I was getting at is AD's price above MSRP on popular models and get it and as far as it seems Rolex are ok with this as its been like this for as long as I can remember which was the point I was making to Ach5's comment about reporting the AD
    Last edited by sinncollector; 2nd July 2016 at 07:33.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    So you're now pushing fake stuff?
    I am not pushing anything. I am simply suggesting a viable solution when Rolex has refused to sell him a genuine bracelet. No one would blink an eye if the watch was on a leather strap and he exchanged it for a non Rolex after market one, would they?
    Last edited by GrandS; 2nd July 2016 at 07:47.

Quote Originally Posted by sinncollector View Post
    understood, i just got a little carried away there and went off track for a bit hee

but yeah, pricing over msrp is quite commonplace here for rolex and fans here seem to just accept it as it is - a long running practice by local ad's (probably with the support of the manufacturers). not to say everyone's ok with it (i'm not) as i still see a lot of people (myself included) sourcing from overseas instead, especially during vacation, frequent business trips, etc. since it's been easier than ever to source stuff elsewhere
    Sorry fella didn't even notice you were in Singapore, you'll know the situation better then me!

I am not pushing anything. I am simply suggesting a viable solution when Rolex has refused to sell him a genuine bracelet. No one would blink an eye if the watch was on a leather strap and he exchanged it for a non Rolex after market one, would they?
    No, they wouldn't. But then that would be to ignore the fact that you deliberately used the term fake (suggesting a branded replica, as opposed to a simple aftermarket alternative) to piss everyone off.