closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedbird 3 vs GMT

Speedbird 3 vs GMT

Hello All,

I'm hoping you can help me decide between the Speedbird 3 vs the GMT model?

Torn between the two as they are beautiful pieces.
    Obviously would love to have both but I can only afford one.

What would be great to know is if the 'Top' version of the 2824-2 in the PRS-22 would be the one to go for?
    Would the elements in the 'Top' movement require less maintenance than the 'elaborée' in the long run?

Please don't crucify me .....I'm not an expert on the automatic movements and I'm sure both movements are excellent.

What would you go for? I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experiences with both!

Probably not much help but I would go with the one you prefer the look of, unless of course you value the GMT function, then the GMT is the way to go.

I would imagine both movements are as reliable, robust and will be as easily serviced in the future.

Personally the PRS-22 would be my choice but simply because I prefer the look of the 'cleaner' dial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose the obvious question is do you need a GMT function?
    But then, when has logic ever come into watch collecting!
    I'd personally go for the GMT. Nice extra complication and a decent splash of colour.

The eta 2893 in the Speedbird GMT is a true GMT movement that is a different and comparatively more expensive movement to the 2824. Its thinner and in my opinion winds slightly smoother.

Omega used it in their Seamaster GMT, IWC and many others have used it with and without the GMT complication. It was also the basis of the Speedmaster Reduced chrono where it had a Dubois Dupraz chronograph module fitted. Its an extremely high quality movement whether in elabore or top grade.

The Top grade 2824 in the non-GMT Speedbird 3 is basically the chronometer movement that has not been sent for certification. This is also an extreamly robust and accurate movement, popular with high end mainstream manufacturers. Buy a new 3 hand Breitling automatic diver's watch and you'll almost certainly find one inside.

Last edited by TimeOut; 26th June 2016 at 13:01.

Thanks so much for your insight and thoughts thus far.

I've also been doing a little research in the meantime and found the following:

The 'Top' movement has an upgrade in Incabloc shock protection, a Glucydur balance wheel with an Anchron alloy hairspring, a Nivaflex NM mainspring, a Nivarox pallet lever and escape wheel, and ruby pallet jewels.

The 'Elaborée' uses Etachoc shock protection, a nickel balance wheel with a Nivarox 2 alloy hairspring, a Nivaflex NO mainspring, a steel pallet lever and escape wheel, and polyruby pallet jewels.

With the upgrade in materials....is it a no-brainer to go with the 'Top' movement?....in that the movement will have more longevity in terms of it's robustness over the 'Elaborée' movement? Would the 'Top' movement require less servicing?

As has been said above, both are good, robust movements. Both can be serviced by any competant watchmaker, and regulated to very high accuracy.

I wouldn't let the movement be the deciding factor. You won't see the movement in the watch and as both should work very well, you won't notice any real-world difference in operation or servicing frequency.

The question you should ask yourself is do you want a GMT or the 'cleaner'-looking three-hander? They are both great watches and you won't be disappointed whichever one you go for.

Re 'is the top grade a no brainier?'

It's not really a direct comparison because the 2893 is theoretically a more modern and slightly superior design to the 2824 overall.

As Sean and others have said, it's about which one you prefer to wear and use :-)

I have both and have to say that both watches are perfect. Which one to chose is the personal choice.

Thank you all for your helpful advice

I really do like both watches and I now have a tough decision to make!

Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post
    Thank you all for your helpful advice

I really do like both watches and I now have a tough decision to make!
    As per NenoS, buy both! :)

To have both would be amazing....maybe I'll pick one from both and grab a PRS-44?? :-P

The watch comes with a steel bracelet and RAF pattern NATO. I've been wearing it on a TF Aviator strap, it's quite thick which fills the lugs nicely and it's mega comfy. Really suits the watch.

Last edited by TimeOut; 26th June 2016 at 18:10.

Great pics of the Speedbird, Timeout....thanks for sharing! I think I'm swayed with the cleaner dial of the Speedbird now

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully View Post
    Great pics of the Speedbird, Timeout....thanks for sharing! I think I'm swayed with the cleaner dial of the Speedbird now
    I have neither, but this is the version I would go for. Lovely handset and nice discrete date at 6 o'clock

Enjoy whichever you get.

Craftsman
    I am in the same position. The GMT adds a splash of colour and the movement is arguably better, but the non-GMT version is cleaner has a better date window position and can be worn in more circumstances. Tough choice. I think they are too similar to get both really, but they are "affordable" if you are so inclined.

All this talk of movements is a waste of time really; you either want a three hander or a GMT.

They are both fantastic watches and you'll be happy with whichever you end up with.

Personally, I only need one GMT so have one of the later "Speedbird" dial three handlers which I'm very happy with.

I think the non GMT is a classic.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    All this talk of movements is a waste of time really; you either want a three hander or a GMT.

They are both fantastic watches and you'll be happy with whichever you end up with.

Personally, I only need one GMT so have one of the later "Speedbird" dial three handlers which I'm very happy with.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think the non GMT is a classic.
    This.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Personally I prefer the 'clean' dial of the non-GMT version and without the Speedbird script on the later SB3's.

At the end of the day it's a subjective personal choice. I'm very happy with my PRS1 and non-GMT PRS22 that style.

Apprentice

I think the orange pop of the GMT hand really adds a ton to the watch. Also like the Speedbird branding on the watch face. ALSO enjoy the additional complication of the mechanical watch with the GMT hand.

GMT > Speedbird in my opinion

My vote is for the GMT, for obvious reasons...

Journeyman
    I think the non GMT has a more vintage/classic look

would plump for the non gmt on purely aesthetic grounds meself ( and because i didnt use gmt watches even when i did travel too much for work ) - great watch either way though.

really like the bracelet and it goes well on nato too.

bought mine with a bit of wabi - has just a touch more since then - probably best carefree daily wear i have had to date