closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Return to guitar playing

Master
    Blog Entries

Return to guitar playing

After 38 years I'm getting back into guitar playing - acoustic.

It's been a helluva gap and the whole culture and hardware has changed enormously so looking for hints and tips to return. I was probably at intermediate level and the old chord shapes and structure is still all there.

So what's the current low down and recommendations on guitars. I have an old Fender 6 and Applause 12 and could be convinced into a new purchase.

Happy to take advice from those who are more knowledgable than me.

Cheers guys

Jim

Master
    Thoroughly embarrassed to admit that hanging on the wall in my front room are a Fender electro acoustic, a Dobro and a Banjolele, not one of which have I done much more than tune for at least five years, and yet still cut my nails to the quick on the left hand and to pluck on the right. Really should make some decisions one of these days.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Thoroughly embarrassed to admit that hanging on the wall in my front room are a Fender electro acoustic, a Dobro and a Banjolele, not one of which have I done much more than tune for at least five years, and yet still cut my nails to the quick on the left hand and to pluck on the right. Really should make some decisions one of these days.....
    Oh dear. Hope I've not caused you pain LOL

Master
    The good news is that budget guitars are a lot better than they used to be, if you're going to test the waters with something relatively inexpensive. I've had a few Fenders over the years, mostly USA-manufactured Strats, but one of the nicest guitars I've played is the Squier Tele that I acquired for about £320 a year or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h75TyVoHiZ0

EDIT I somehow overlooked the OP's use of the word "acoustic", sorry.
    Last edited by monogroover; 18th January 2016 at 18:57.

Grand Master
    I went back to it last year and dug out the acoustic and still enjoy a play,

I have got a Epiphone Firebird Electric that I keep meaning to photograph and advertise as I have sold the Amp so its sat there spare !
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I went back to it last year and dug out the acoustic and still enjoy a play,

I have got a Epiphone Firebird Electric that I keep meaning to photograph and advertise as I have sold the Amp so its sat there spare !
    I've booked myself a series of night classes to see how the notion to get back to it shapes up.

My old Fender F35 will serve the purpose till I scratch this itch but already I've sounded out (no pun) a new one. Looking at Taylor Big Baby as a starter for 10!!

In saying that if anyones got a nice ACOUSTIC or SEMI ACOUSTIC then I might be in the market 👍👍👍👍

I keep dropping in and out with the guitar, prefer the acoustic as it so easy to just pick up and have a strum, I find the electric a hassle amps leads to much messing about for me.
    I own a few Tanglewood acoustics my favourite is the TW15 DLX part of the Sundance range looks lovely and has a very nice tone, wish I could do it justice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    my favourite is the TW15 DLX

Is that a guitar or a Twickenham postcode!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Looking at Taylor Big Baby as a starter for 10!!
    
    Bought one of these as a present for my dad years ago and every time I'm around, I play it - beautiful guitar

Keep meaning to get my own ... :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    Bought one of these as a present for my dad years ago and every time I'm around, I play it - beautiful guitar

Keep meaning to get my own ... :-)
    Yip. got a wee chance to strum a few chords today. VERY nice indeed. going for ANOTHER look tomorrow - just to look of course!! Watch this space.

Depends how much you want to spend but Faith make some cracking instruments in the £400-£700 range. Above this try and find a Furch (Stonebridge) to try, Czech made guitars and great value for money - this is what I'm planning on getting next but I keep talking myself out of it as I love my Faith Neptune.

First things first though get yourself a rack with at least 5 slots as you know where this is going to end.... :-)

I strum a Washburn or a Stratocaster when the mood takes me - which is less and less these days for some reason - but if I felt moved to throw myself back into playing again, Takemine would get my money.

Master
    I bought a Martin D1 s/h for about 500 quid and took the it to the local guru/luthier (no longer with us,sadly) who lowered the action and generally set it up. It's now the acoustic I'll reach for when I fancy a strum/pick and is certainly good enough for my limited playing ability

Whilst the D1 is the plain Jane of the Martin dreadnought range , it sounds great and is good value and would be worth a try at your local emporium if they are still making them.

If the budget is a little more generous a more gifted chum of mine has a couple of guitars made by Jimmy Moon and if you are minded to push the boat out a bit they are seriously good instruments and highly regarded eg

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/gu...coustic-234878

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    I bought a Martin D1 s/h for about 500 quid and took the it to the local guru/luthier (no longer with us,sadly) who lowered the action and generally set it up. It's now the acoustic I'll reach for when I fancy a strum/pick and is certainly good enough for my limited playing ability

Whilst the D1 is the plain Jane of the Martin dreadnought range , it sounds great and is good value and would be worth a try at your local emporium if they are still making them.

If the budget is a little more generous a more gifted chum of mine has a couple of guitars made by Jimmy Moon and if you are minded to push the boat out a bit they are seriously good instruments and highly regarded eg

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/gu...coustic-234878
    Thanks Stiglet.

The Martin has got me interested and I'm going in to GuitarGuitar in Auld Reekie later today - just to have another look.

My old thing - guitar that is - sounds nice enough but old and choked - just like me. So the Martin is like a young driver in a V8. All sound but a noise worth listening to with quality.

Watch this space!!!

Cheers EVERYONE. I'm really appreciative for the pointers and anecdotes.

Jim

Besides trying every guitar for sale in your price range... it is my belief that one should also consider where they will be playing the guitar. If you're playing alone then there might not be a need to buy a dreadnought style..perhaps an OM would be more suitable. However, as a person who owns quite a few guitars I recently bought a taylor GS mini and absolutely love it for a few reasons. The first, being that it is small enough to be very comfortable to play while sitting on the couch while reading music off of a laptop. It is also small enough when in the case (travel bag style) to easily fit in any car and so tends to be the guitar I grab when heading off to jam with friends. My three buddies currently play a taylor 614, taylor 310 and a martin 000-15 and my little gs mini is just a loud (maybe not as clear when really hammering it hard when covering Nathaniel Ratcliffe's SOB) and far more a party friendly size. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2, 205lbs)with big hands (not fat stubby fingers though) and although I'd love a slightly wider nut on the mini, its actually a good all rounder with the exception of finger picking where that extra width would make a few pieces just that little bit easier.

Just my 2 pence worth...

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to seeing the uploaded riffs Jim.

NHY mate

Can't argue with anything said in this thread.
    If you haven't tried a new set of strings on your Fender, do that first.

Up to £700, I'd go looking for a second hand Martin or Taylor and I'd want to play them first. I recently saw a used Martin D-16GT hanging up in a Cash Generator type shop for £550. Not my favourite Martin by any stretch, but that sort of thing is worth considering. I have played both Stonebridge and Furch guitars and thought they were very nice for the money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the uploaded riffs Jim.

NHY mate
    LOL

More like Rifts Paul.

Good to hear from you and hope you and family all well.

Anywhere near London 27-29th??

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Right guys.

Just back from GuitarGuitar in Edinburgh. Looked after by a guy called Stevie.

What a great guy and HIGHLY recommended. Patient, knowledgable and not a salesman.

My old fender has been brought back to life. New Elixir, phosphorous bronze strings, guitar set up, neck tightened and frets sharpened/polished. What a difference and when he played it, it sounded excellent. He actually gave it 10/10 and was gobsmacked at how good condition it's in and it's sound. I'm delighted.

Now I'm going to do the lessons and get myself (award myself) a new guitar. Martin seems to suit me well and I will decide on which one when I finish the course.

Keep the info coming guys. I'm finding it all very useful. Thank you very much.

Jim

Blog Entries
    LOL

More like Rifts Paul.

Good to hear from you and hope you and family all well.

Anywhere near London 27-29th??

Jim
    All good Jimbo and trust likewise.

Not in the smoke I am afraid but keep me posted when you head south of the border again.

Look forward to hearing how the gee tar goes mate.

Paul

Right guys.

Just back from GuitarGuitar in Edinburgh. Looked after by a guy called Stevie.

What a great guy and HIGHLY recommended. Patient, knowledgable and not a salesman.

My old fender has been brought back to life. New Elixir, phosphorous bronze strings, guitar set up, neck tightened and frets sharpened/polished. What a difference and when he played it, it sounded excellent. He actually gave it 10/10 and was gobsmacked at how good condition it's in and it's sound. I'm delighted.

Now I'm going to do the lessons and get myself (award myself) a new guitar. Martin seems to suit me well and I will decide on which one when I finish the course.

Keep the info coming guys. I'm finding it all very useful. Thank you very much.

Jim
    A good set up and new strings can make it seem like a new guitar.

I am electric only now having sold my Ovation last year.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A good set up and new strings can make it seem like a new guitar.

I am electric only now having sold my Ovation last year.
    I never expected it to be so profound Neil. What a difference! Night and day.

How did you like the ovation?

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    All good Jimbo and trust likewise.

Not in the smoke I am afraid but keep me posted when you head south of the border again.

Look forward to hearing how the gee tar goes mate.

Paul
    Certainly shall Paul. I'm back on the road again!

Look after yourself and hope The Canaries turn things round. Alex looks mightily depressed at his press conferences right now.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Certainly shall Paul. I'm back on the road again!

Look after yourself and hope The Canaries turn things round. Alex looks mightily depressed at his press conferences right now.

Jim
    He has done great but is having wobble at the mo Jim.

All the best

I never expected it to be so profound Neil. What a difference! Night and day.

How did you like the ovation?

Jim
    They are very like an electric with the slim necks which is why I bought it in the first place but in the end I just preferred solid bodies.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Good luck Jim and keep at it. I'm not good at the guitar but seem to have developed something of a style which others seem to find just about acceptable.

I've a few guitars that are good quality Gretsch and a few others around the same price range but when young always wanted a Martin but out of my price range. In the late 70s I bought a copy of a Martin by a company called Mountain. I think from what I've read they were put out of business because they were very good and too much of a copy, made in Japan but some in Korea.

Having read this thread it made me look again at the Mountain history and they seem sought after.

So maybe fate but checking out the history just now, I came across a Gumtree ad and a seller has one for sale its a D18 copy (which is the one I have) and the seller lives in Eyemouth, Scottish boarders, listed a day ago the AD ID is 1150879375 and selling at £190 with postage. If you live near worth checking out as it looks ok for its age.

I do not know the seller or have any connection but thought I bring this to your attention. It's the only guitar I have that I would keep if the others had to go..... plays well, sounds good and so on.

Cheers. Sean
    Last edited by Naesuk; 19th January 2016 at 08:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Good luck Jim and keep at it. I'm not good at the guitar but seem to have developed something of a style which others seem to find just about acceptable.

I've a few guitars that are good quality Greetch and a few others around the same price range but when young always wanted a Martin but out of my price range. In the late 70s I bought a copy of a Martin by a company called Mountain. I think from what I've read they were put out of business because they were very good and too much of a copy, made in Japan but some in Korea.

Having read this thread it made me look again at the Mountain history and they seem sought after.

So maybe fate but checking out the history just now, I came across a Gumtree ad and a seller has one for sale its a D18 copy (which is the one I have) and the seller lives in Eyemouth, Scottish boarders, listed a day ago the AD ID is 1150879375 and selling at £190 with postage. If you live near worth checking out as it looks ok for its age.

I do not know the seller or have any connection but thought I bring this to your attention. It's the only guitar I have that I would keep if the others had to go..... plays well, sounds good and so on.

Cheers. Sean
    That's very kind indeed Sean. I'll get right onto it!! Many thanks for the heads up. I will of course let you know how it goes!

I feel a collection of guitars coming on. Anyone know a good eh divorce lawyer 😀

Had a Martin OOO-15M which was awesome. Solid mahogany, just the right size for me (larger than the OO, smaller than the OM)

Really liked it but made the mistake of trying a Guild M series (think it was a 120). Identical. Seriously. Played a blinder as well. At a third of the price. Not taking anything away from Martin but that Guild made me question how much i'm prepared to pay for a name on a headstock.